Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

2009 ZiPS Projection Disk for Diamond Mind 9, Final

This is the final 2009 build of the ZiPS projection disk for Diamond Mind Baseball.  You can download it here.

The disk contains all known fixes to-date, with a very few new projections (Walter Silva, Chris Duffy, a couple of others).  The disk contains “compromise” rosters in that the rosters are all 25-man but they represent the “average” expectation of what the roster will look like for the rest of the year.  This is because DMB does not have an auto-manager, so things like A-Rod and 3/5 of the Angels rotation coming back would not be represented in a pure opening day build but are important events to their teams as the season goes on.  For players in that situation, the playing time on the depth charts has been reduced to reflect the lower contributions.  I do the same for players with teams playing the Arbitration Clock Game such as Matt Wieters and David Price.

There are a few additional cases that I had a great deal of problems wrestling with.  The two most notable I can think of at the moment are what to do with Troy Glaus and Jeff Clement.  I could not include Jeff Clement on the depth chart because, to be honest, I have no clue exactly what the Mariners are going to do with him and while I would personally include him prominently, the wrenches that team management has thrown into the works on a regular basis with Johjima makes me very suspicious about how hard the team will really push to give Clement a real shot.  As for Glaus, I’ve had a couple of conversations that lead to me believe that his shoulder is significantly worse than the party line implies and that the team is not banking him on him even being back by the All-Star break.  Glaus is completely off the depth chart, with Freese being a full-time starter.  Happily, Diamond Mind is very easy to work with and none of my decisions need be final.

A few special thanks for assistance with this year’s disk have to be given out at this point.  Luke Kraemer and David Pyke of Diamond Mind Baseball both provided technical assistance, the former helping me with things such as getting my UIDs in harmony with DMB’s and providing additional support for customers having trouble with the disk.  David’s directions for installing and using the disk are far better than mine.  Derek Zumsteg and Chris Needham also provided me valuable initial depth charts for the Mariners and Nationals which saved me some time in making modifications (based on ensuing events).  SG from replacementlevel.com once again provided the schedule, other tools that will make my job easier next time around, and simmed ZiPS 1000 times for the projection blowout.  Bruce Walker of the DMBO league went through and found some UIDs that both Luke and I missed (de Jong and de la Vara off the top of my head at least).  Also, thanks go off to the people who “bought” the disk with a contribution, which helps defray the time spent.

—-

Calculating projections and making the projection disk are very time-consuming projects that I have always released for free.  There’s no easy utility that dumps my projections simply into Diamond Mind; rather, I have to create players one-by-one.  While I believe in making these available to as wide an audience as possible, I appreciate donations from anyone (made by clicking the button below) who feels that these projections or game disk have provided them with something of value (and have the financial means, obviously).  I thank the regular BTF readers for their support and criticisms over the years, both of which have helped me make improvements in my work.

Dan Szymborski Posted: April 07, 2009 at 03:13 PM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Zoppity Zoop Posted: April 07, 2009 at 03:44 PM (#3127957)
Thanks Dan for your work. I'm glad you waited as late as possible to get the final as close to "accurate" as possible. I plan to waste the entire night playing it and will send you the $30 I normally pay DMB.
   2. Dan Szymborski Posted: April 07, 2009 at 04:07 PM (#3127985)
Heh, the later release date is actually because I've been out of town due to family issues and haven't had much internet, not so much cleverness of design!
   3. Pat Rapper's Delight Posted: April 07, 2009 at 08:17 PM (#3128487)
There's no easy utility that dumps my projections simply into Diamond Mind; rather, I have to create players one-by-one.

Hey Dan, for my 1918 DMB disk I wrote a utility in AutoIt (thanks from me to David Pyke as well for the tip and help setting it up) that worked with my Excel sheet of stats and ratings and did the tedious job of entering stats and ratings for each player. It's been a while since I used it for anything, but IIRC, you have to highlight (not select) the player in the Organizer screen, then hit the button and the script brings up the stats and ratings tabs, enters all the info, goes to the next tab, enters all that info, goes to the next tab, etc. I also used it to enter splits, advanced fielding stats, and actual starting lineups for several Retroseasons.

I think once I was really cranking with it, I could physically enter all the stats and ratings for all players on a team in about 5-10 minutes.... about 2 or 3 evenings of work would knock out an entire league-season.

There's also something called KADU floating around the interwebs (Kick-Ass DMB Utility) that I've heard references to that apparently does hex-level editing of the DMB database to enter stats and ratings but I'd have to call in some help for that. I've never used it myself.

I'm tied up with classes now and take finals in mid-May, but after that let's see if what I've got can be of any assistance to you.
   4. Dan Szymborski Posted: April 07, 2009 at 09:13 PM (#3128605)
Yeah, SG sent me KADU, though not the utility to automatically re-generate the event tables automatically. I intend to play with it and use it next year.
   5. nemodomi Posted: April 09, 2009 at 08:33 PM (#3132692)
Thanks for all your hard work, Dan.
   6. longballwins Posted: April 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM (#3134914)
Dan, thanks for your hard work and a place to get the proj. disk for DMB.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.