Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Monday, April 26, 2004

Cincinnati Reds

Claimed OF Jason Romano off waivers from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Ouch.  It’s one thing to trade Antonio Perez because you believe, though erroneously, that Jason Romano is some promising young outfielder, but it’s another thing altogether to dump Perez for a player you think so little of that going 1-for-11 is enough to make the team give up.

As bad as that sounds, it’s much, much worse.  Romano’s quote on the trade is one of the funniest things I’ve read in awhile:

”[The Devil Rays] were looking for a middle infielder,” Romano said. “They thought I was a shortstop or second base type, and when I got there they found out I was more of an outfielder. They’ve already got a pretty good young outfield out there, so it wasn’t really a good fit.”

Translation:  The Devil Rays didn’t even bother checking who Jason Romano was before trading Antonio Perez for him.

It’s very funny that Chuck LaMar is now one of the longest-tenured GMs in baseball.  Perhaps Rachel Phelps should have hired him 15 years ago.

Dan Szymborski Posted: April 26, 2004 at 04:55 PM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. MM1f Posted: April 16, 2003 at 01:11 AM (#563522)
"Posted 10:42 a.m., January 16, 2003 (#12) - Rich Garces
   102. MM1f Posted: April 16, 2003 at 01:12 AM (#563523)
"Posted 10:42 a.m., January 16, 2003 (#12) - Rich Garces
   103. The Spanish Inquisition Posted: April 16, 2003 at 02:02 PM (#565671)
No one expects the Cincinnati Reds...!!
   104. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: April 21, 2003 at 01:53 AM (#565676)
He's saying that the decision to put Anderson and Manzanillo to begin with was bad and reactionary, and the upgrade to Reitsma is no less reactionary for being good.

Dan's fishing for some sort of long-term plan.
   105. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: April 21, 2003 at 01:55 AM (#565677)
Pretend there's a "on the roster" in that first sentence, OK?
   106. Jason Posted: April 21, 2003 at 12:19 PM (#565682)
I sure wish the Reds would get their act together darn it. My Brewers are going to have that #1 draft pick in 2004 and we don't want any stinking competition!
   107. Edmundo Posted: April 21, 2003 at 04:15 PM (#565689)
I have this image of Bob Boone as Wile E. Coyote in tatters after the final explosion, holding up his broken sign, "Bob E. Boone, Genius".
   108. Howie Menckel Posted: April 22, 2003 at 01:52 AM (#565691)
I agree with Bobby Bash'em, who by the way will win 15 games for the 2006 Reds once he drops the apostrophe.
   109. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: April 23, 2003 at 12:33 PM (#565692)
Be fair to Larson. He may be overaged, but there IS a reasonable explanation for his success last year: in the offseason, he had eye surgery, which supposedly improved his vision dramatically. It's not a selective endpoint; there's a pretty good reason to draw the boundary there.
   110. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 17, 2003 at 02:15 PM (#566122)
It feels funny defending Anderson, but his conditioning really wasn't all that bad in his time in Pittsburgh. He never looked like he had trouble doing calisthenics, and he wasn't any slower in sprints than the other pitchers. I think he's just a guy who was born with an unfortunate set of physical proportions. The weak jaw gives him a double chin, and the broad hips and narrow shoulders combine to make his stomach look even bigger than it is.

That said, he's always been a lousy pitcher, and the Reds are really reaching here if they expect him to be at all helpful.
   111. Andere Richtingen Posted: June 17, 2003 at 04:19 PM (#566123)
The weak jaw gives him a double chin, and the broad hips and narrow shoulders combine to make his stomach look even bigger than it is.

Those shoulders didn't look narrow to me. Come on. He has a big fat stomach for a ballplayer. Whether it's bad conditioning or genetics to blame for that I do not know, but I think it's likely not to be conducive to being an effective pitcher.
   112. Noffs Posted: June 17, 2003 at 05:24 PM (#566125)
As someone with Matt Clement on their fantasy team, I certainly appreciated his presence last night.
   113. Dolf Lucky Posted: June 17, 2003 at 05:26 PM (#566126)
Lost in all the scouthead blather here is that Anderson had pitched very well at AAA Louisville this year, especially lately.

You can't preach things like MLEs, and the importance of skills like control, and keeping the ball in the yard, and the importance of looking at performance over prettiness...and then bash the Reds for giving Anderson a start or two.
   114. Dolf Lucky Posted: June 17, 2003 at 06:02 PM (#566128)
He allows more walks than strikeouts.

Which means he's right in line with every single starter on the staff, with the lone exception of Paul Wilson. Based on your snide comment that is fueled by ignorance, I'd have to surmise that you'd propose going to a 1-man rotation. What do you want Bowden to do?

I know that if YOU were the GM, you would have pulled off a magnificent Wily Mo Pena for Johan Santana trade, but since we're judging the actions of mortals, it's not that bad a decision:

Give Lopez some pressure free development time, give Anderson one more shot to give you 3 or 4 good starts, and hold off rushing one of the pitchers that actually might be able to help you in 2-3 years.

As it was, Anderson was one pitch away from recording a quality start against the division leaders.
   115. Dan Szymborski Posted: June 17, 2003 at 09:19 PM (#566129)
I'd rather give Setherton a chance.

I believe in MLEs, but I also believe in small sample size. Anderson needs more than 9 starts that translate to league average to cancel out his career.

I'm not a fan of Jimmy Anderson either on a statistical or observational basis. The Blue Jays just announced that Wessex is throwing out the first pitch and I almost rather the Reds scout and sign him.
   116. User unknown in local recipient table (Craig B) Posted: June 18, 2003 at 03:23 AM (#566130)
The Blue Jays just announced that Wessex is throwing out the first pitch

Now that's a weak chin.
   117. Greg Franklin Posted: June 25, 2003 at 09:06 PM (#563524)
Brian C, I stumbled on Jeff Pico's whereabouts the other day searching for something else, and his B-R.com sponsor confirms he was a pitching coach in the independent Western League.

The league went under at the end of last year, and he is now a pitching coach with Yakima (NW League, Diamondbacks short-season Class A affiliate), under the tutelage of Bill Plummer.
   118. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 30, 2003 at 04:41 AM (#566238)
Pitcher Dan Reichert is also a diabetic.
   119. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: June 30, 2003 at 05:22 AM (#566239)
Congratulations to a guy I watched last August in A ball. Very cool.
   120. Ziggy Posted: June 30, 2003 at 09:57 PM (#566240)
How about Griffey to first, Casey and Guillen traded for pitching, Kearns to center, and Smitherman to play left? Or Casey and Smitherman for pitching, if no one wants Guillen.
   121. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 06, 2003 at 09:25 PM (#566394)
How was Pena injured?
   122. Gold Star for Robothal Posted: July 07, 2003 at 12:46 AM (#566396)
Jimenez is younger, cheaper, and still growing as a player.

Alomar on the other hand is old, expensive and declining as a player. Plus he is a free agent at the end of the year.

They both play 2B, though Alomar is better with he glove Jimenez at this point is better with the stick.

I don't get the White Sox at all. At first I thought when they acquired Alomar it was to move Jimenez to 3B and get Crede out of the lineup. I figured they would let both Alomar's become free agents at the end of the year and move Jimenez back to 2B.

So much for that idea, I now think the plan is to acquire as many over priced veterans as you can while trading away the future. Therefore, they are ceding the pennant race to the Royals and the Twins.
   123. KDub's CellPiece (BLtDH) Posted: July 07, 2003 at 12:52 AM (#566397)
I don't get the White Sox at all

Alomar is an upgrade defensively. Offensively, Alomar from the left side is pretty much similar to Jiminez. The Sox aren't paying Alomar at all this season. Jiminez was expendable mostly because of his faulty play (defensively, baserunning, and declining offense since the first month or so) and because the Sox have two second-basemen (Hummel/Miles) in their system that are younger/cheaper/as good as Jiminez.
   124. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 07, 2003 at 02:54 AM (#566399)
Alomar's been terrible defensively this year - Dean Palmer at 3rd bad.
   125. bhoov Posted: July 07, 2003 at 03:38 PM (#566405)
And don't forget how Kenny robbed Billy Beane blind by essentially getting Neal Cotts in exchange for Joe Valentine. I mean a left-handed starting pitcher who is dominating AA with very high K/IP ratio for a right-handed reliever who is struggling? When all is said and done the Koch/Cotts for Foulke/Valentine trade is gonna be a huge win for Kenny.
   126. Walt Davis Posted: July 07, 2003 at 05:57 PM (#566409)
Oh please, anyone who thinks Loaiza's season isn't a huge stroke of luck is just nuts. Williams thought he was getting a nice 5th starter option cheap, something which most statheads agreed with.

And yes, someone had to be cleared off the 40-man roster. Why that man's name wasn't Willie Harris or an anonymous reliever is a mystery to everyone.

The end result is that Williams made a nice move by picking up Alomar for no money, then negated that move by kicking Jimenez (who at this point is essentially Alomar's equal) off the roster. In the long run, this trade is Ring, Almonte and that other guy for Scott Dunn -- anyone really think Williams is going to be bragging about that trade in the future?

Chances are none of this will result in a hill of beans. Jimenez will continue to be a decent but underwhelming player, Alomar won't be the difference in the Sox's season, and none of the minor-leaguers will amount to much. But for Williams, this set of transactions still amounts to one small step forward (getting Alomar without paying him) and two small steps backwards (losing Jimenez and the three prospects). As a whole, the Sox organization has less talent on hand than they did before and their chances of winning the division were not substantially improved.

Now the Everett deal improves their chances of winning the division. In response to that, they DFA'd a player worthy of being DFA'd and apparently will not give up a substantial amount of prospective talent. That was a good trade.
   127. Ziggy Posted: July 07, 2003 at 08:46 PM (#566414)
Rick G nailed the benefit for the ChiSox in these trades, they've shown that they're not giving up. These trades may not (probably won't?) make the difference for their season, but they send a great message to fans, players, etc.

The Reds improved with this trade. Anything to get Felipe Lopez and/or Juan Castro out of the line up is a good thing. Like the Sox, the deal probably won't amount to anything for Bowden and friends, but unlike the Sox (at least in the Alomar trade) they did manage to improve their team. Of course D'Angelo Jiemenz doesn't have the name recognition that Roberto Alomar does, so Reds fans likely see this as another half-hearted attempt to build a good team. Along the lines of last year's desperate attempt to sign every #4 starter in baseball.
   128. Slinger Francisco Barrios (Dr. Memory) Posted: July 07, 2003 at 09:43 PM (#566416)
More buzz = more tickets = more revenue, something the White Sox definitely need.

Fine, as long as we all realize that the team has not really improved.

As for me, I think keeping Josh Fogg and Sean Lowe and Keith Foulke would have translated to a good record this year (and last), which would have obviated all this churn.

On the other hand, I didn't think Bradford for Olivo was such a hot deal, so what do I know? Olivo reminds me a lot of Officer Karkovice, one of my faves.
   129. Slinger Francisco Barrios (Dr. Memory) Posted: July 07, 2003 at 09:46 PM (#566417)
Whatanidiot, I meant Kip Wells, not Sean Lowe. I always got those guys mixed up, I don't know why, I'm just lucky they got traded together. I think Williams made just such a mistake when he traded McKay Christensen.
   130. Mike Emeigh Posted: July 11, 2003 at 02:50 PM (#566428)
Jimenez is pre-peak, will earn less in arbitration, "plays" a more important position in the field, and has a much better (pre-injury) track record. The guy hit very well in AAA at 21 before his injury. maybe there's doubt about his age, or his work ethic, or whatever, but he's worth more than what KW got for him.

He's only worth more than what Williams got for him if there was someone out there who was willing to make that kind of offer.

Jimenez is a talented player with an abysmal work ethic which is (apparently) preventing him from getting the most out of his talent. Three different teams have tried to take advantage of his talent, and given up because they haven't been able to get him to work as hard as he should to maximize that talent. What makes anyone think that other teams aren't aware of Jimenez's history, and thus that Kenny Williams could something more than he did for him? Major league baseball teams aren't going to give up significant value for questionable value, and Jimenez's value is certainly questionable at this stage of his career.

-- MWE
   131. Ziggy Posted: July 19, 2003 at 09:42 PM (#566678)
"...so he'll hopefully be healthy enough to contribute a full year in 2004."

*Sigh* I would that it were so.
   132. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 20, 2003 at 12:45 AM (#566680)
Well, key word is hopefully. He'll need to be protected as much as possible - the Reds should keep him out of centerfield for now on and he'll probably need to be a DH in the AL fairly soon.
   133. The Original SJ Posted: July 20, 2003 at 12:58 AM (#566681)
Why would griffey not be placed on the 60 day DL? Wouldn't that free up a spot on the 40 man roster?
   134. Ziggy Posted: July 20, 2003 at 01:18 AM (#566682)
Yeah Dan, I guess "hopefully" really is the important word there. The move to 1st is long overdue, and he probably would be best served by DHing somewhere. It's been a frustraighting several years here, so please forgive me for not being very optimistic.
   135. Cris E Posted: July 21, 2003 at 02:59 PM (#566686)
The 60 Day thing was discussed last week: you only use the 60 Day DL when the 40 man roster is full. When they fill the 40 man and need Griffey's spot, they'll stick him on it then.
   136. SM in DC Posted: July 21, 2003 at 03:10 PM (#566687)
Griffey has unfortunately become the Grant Hill of MLB

I was thinking this same thing just the other day... how eerie the parallels between Giff and Hill are.

It's just amazing though... while still in Seattle, Griffey was easily on pace to the be THE greatest ballplayer of my lifetime (just 24 now). I really looked forward to the day I could get all crusty and crotchety with my kids about how great he was the way my dad talks about Mantle and Mays, et al.

Now, I doubt if many folks would blame him if he just hung'em up, Koufax-style.
   137. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 28, 2003 at 04:55 PM (#566905)
Jose, yes, you hit well in the minors in recent years, a total of less than a full season. And Jeremy Giambi didn't take 2000 at-bats and his 7 years in the majors to start hitting.
   138. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 28, 2003 at 05:15 PM (#566906)
I believe in Jose Guillen.

THUPPPTT!

s/
   139. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: July 28, 2003 at 06:02 PM (#566908)
If the Padres suck the next 1-2 years, Towers will indeed be in trouble. Call me an optimist, but I don't think that will happen.
   140. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 28, 2003 at 06:10 PM (#566909)
"after 20 or so tries, he may have come up with a Tools Gallant in Jose Guillen"

What about Cameron and Encarnacion? Don't they count as well?
   141. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 29, 2003 at 04:54 AM (#566914)
Encarnacion is as mediocre as ever and essentially the same player he's always been.

Cameron was never a tools goof; he just had a bad '98 season.
   142. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 29, 2003 at 12:24 PM (#566915)
Cameron wasn't a tools goof, but he was perceived as one by the popular media in 1998. They may have jumped the gun a bit, but his walk rate had regressed pretty badly, so with Cameron's obvious athletic abilities it's easy to see how they could've made the error.

Encarancion's mediocre, but at the time of the trade he was perceived as replacement-level, so Bowden bought in on him at the right time as well.
   143. Greg Franklin Posted: July 30, 2003 at 08:32 PM (#566926)
Glenn: what would happen to Cirillo if Boone got acquired? Could Boone play a little at SS, with Sanchez subbing for defense? JC could stay in the #9 hole as a glove man.

Max: your Royals should go for one of Cincy's NO-MONEY-DOWN offers. Less Cash out of pocket, so I hear.
   144. Bud Selig Posted: August 04, 2003 at 11:00 PM (#567312)
No entry for Mark Budzinski?

He's got a wonderful name!
   145. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: August 05, 2003 at 06:30 PM (#567313)
Give Dempster a little credit; not many people would be able to manage a hundred innings with a torn UCL.
   146. Depot Posted: August 17, 2003 at 03:59 AM (#567376)
Anyone know how long Dunn's supposed to be out?
   147. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: October 25, 2003 at 06:51 PM (#567949)
Meanwhile.. the Reds lost 29 to '6 year minor league free agency'

Pitchers: Carlos Almanzar, Bobby Bevel, Rick Croushore, Lance Davis, Kris Keller, Willie Martinez, Chris Michalak, Aneudy Perez, Jose Rijo, Scott Service, Scott Sobkowiak.

Catchers: Jason Hill, Michael Stefanski.

Infielders: Wilmy Caceres, Dionys Cesar, Felipe Crespo, Jason Dellaero, Wilton Guerrero, Jason Maxwell, Santiago Perez, Calvin Pickering, Ivan Reyes, Eric Shanks.

Outfielders: Emil Brown, Mark Budzinski, Michael Coleman, Jacob Cruz, Bobby Darula, Robin Jennings.
   148. Dolf Lucky Posted: October 25, 2003 at 10:14 PM (#567951)
That's basically 29 pieces of garbage. Although if Wilton Guerrero goes, the Reds lose any chance to sign Vlad at a significant discount...
   149. MM1f Posted: October 25, 2003 at 10:53 PM (#567953)
Pickering is hitting .333(10-for-30 with 7 HR) in the Mexican Pacific League.
   150. MM1f Posted: October 25, 2003 at 10:58 PM (#567954)
"Anyone know how he did in AAA last year?"

Er, this year I guess.
   151. Bull Pain Posted: October 25, 2003 at 11:08 PM (#567955)
Davis had a 4.55 ERA over 26 games (22 starts). In 138.1 IP he allowed 166 hits, walked 42 and struck out 62. The numbers are basically the same as his numbers with L'Ville in 2002.
   152. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: October 26, 2003 at 06:53 AM (#567960)
This is a good move. Dan's a better choice than Dave.
   153. Ziggy Posted: October 26, 2003 at 04:04 PM (#567963)
I think Cinci really is the place for a minor league free agent. It's a good bet some/all of their MLFAs would have a good shot at serious playing time next year. The OFs might want to sign somewhere else, but the rest of them have their best chances at a big league career by staying right here.

As for the new GM; he's not Minaya, so I'm happy. Player development is vital, he's got a background in player development, the Astros and Rangers weren't (at the time he was with them) completely incompitent organizations; he's got a big job ahead of him, to be sure, but for now I approve of the signing.
   154. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 27, 2003 at 04:21 AM (#567964)
My mom's big on Rich Paz, mostly because they're the same height.
   155. Ziggy Posted: October 28, 2003 at 04:34 PM (#567966)
Wagner has been a relief pitcer since he learned to walk, I doubt that the reds are going to try to convert him to a starter in his first full season in the majors. Expect Graves to get dumped mid year, and Wagner move from middle relief to closer.
   156. Cris E Posted: October 28, 2003 at 05:55 PM (#567967)
<I>Whoa...
   157. MM1f Posted: October 29, 2003 at 12:07 AM (#567968)
Since when is Belise a "finesse" righty?
   158. MM1f Posted: October 29, 2003 at 12:12 AM (#567969)
Mea culpa, kinda.

I looked up Belisle's numbers this year and his 25K's in 46 AAA innings do kind of look like a finesse guy, although he had 94 Ks in 125 innnings in AA.

I seem to recall his K rate being a good deal better a couple years back, although that was before back injuries.
   159. Mike Emeigh Posted: October 31, 2003 at 02:53 PM (#567973)
I dunno why Clontz hasn't been in the majors for so long, he always seemed like a pretty decent LH reliever.

Maybe it's because, when he's pitched in the majors, he's used his right hand?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/playercard?playerId=2504

-- MWE
   160. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: December 30, 2003 at 02:04 PM (#570880)
Dan, 2.75 million is not a quarter billion. 25 million is a quarter billion.
   161. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: December 30, 2003 at 02:04 PM (#570881)
No, that's not right either. 250 million is a quarter billion.
   162. Hendry's Wad of Cash (UCCF) Posted: December 30, 2003 at 03:52 PM (#570885)
Someone posted yesterday that Lidle's bad numbers were likely a result of his groin injury. In looking through his game log, though, he was fairly inconsistent all year, even before he was hurt. He allowed 5 or more earned runs in about 1/2 of his starts (15/31), which is almost Estes-like in its badness. But he also had 11 "quality starts" (to borrow a term I hate), so there was some good stuff there as well.

My guess is the Reds will get about the same -- a guy who'll get blown up about half the time out there, but a guy who pitches well enough the rest of the time that you can't really pull him from the rotation (especially if you're the Reds and don't particularly have anyone better to stick in there in his place).
   163. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: December 30, 2003 at 05:16 PM (#570886)
That's the public "contribution" to the GAB.

Oh. Dan, compose more better sentences, you git.
   164. Ziggy Posted: December 30, 2003 at 09:59 PM (#570888)
This fits the Reds' MO perfectly: Collect as many #4 starters as possible. I hereby appoint Lidle to the Ryan Dempster Chair of Starting Pitching for the Cincinnati Reds. If they wanted a below-average pitcher, I'm sure they could have found one in AAA.
   165. Ziggy Posted: December 30, 2003 at 11:20 PM (#570890)
Yeah, in that they get less snow. I think it'll be a race to the bottom in the NL central, however.
   166. Snowboy Posted: December 31, 2003 at 06:12 PM (#570892)
I'll guess 29 HRs allowed by Lidle, instead of 22.
   167. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 31, 2003 at 11:36 PM (#570893)
To my mind, Dempster actually pitched pretty well for a man with a serious arm injury.
   168. The Artist Posted: April 26, 2004 at 06:43 PM (#573575)
props for the reference Dan... ;)
   169. David E Posted: April 26, 2004 at 09:04 PM (#573578)
Romano started out in the Rangers organization as a 2nd baseman, and was only moved to the outfield in the past couple of years, so it seems fairly reasonable for the Devil Rays to expect him to play the infield. (In fact, in 2002, he played more ML games at second than in the outfield) I heard there may have been some kind of issue with him where he refused to play infield, which would obviously upset the Rays, and seems rather stupid for a very marginal major leaguer.
   170. jb Posted: April 26, 2004 at 10:33 PM (#573580)
''so it seems fairly reasonable for the Devil Rays to expect him to play the infield.''

that's being overly generous to a bunch of incompetents. they trade for a guy thinking he plays a position he doesn't because their scout "thought" he saw the guy play the infield in spring training? for this they give up a guy whose upside is regular MLB 2nd baseman, and at the least could be expected to be a utility player?

having chuck lamar, cam bonifay and syd thrift in the same front office is like, well, it's probably not like anything in the history of baseball. the three worst GMs of the past 20 years on the same team. it's so devil raysian.
   171. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: April 27, 2004 at 03:50 AM (#573582)
The Devil Rays didn't even bother checking who Jason Romano was before trading Antonio Perez for him.

What's really amusing to me is that when the Reds claimed Romano, they sent out a release announcing they'd signed John Romano.

I'm not sure Cincinnati really has any idea who he is, either.
   172. WalkOffIBB Posted: April 27, 2004 at 07:22 PM (#573587)
that's being overly generous to a bunch of incompetents. they trade for a guy thinking he plays a position he doesn't because their scout "thought" he saw the guy play the infield in spring training?

Where in the hell do you get this? Rommano, over the past three years, has played in 78 games in the field (not counting 5 as a DH). 28 eight of those were in the infield (21 at 2B). In fact, most of 2002 was at 2B. You can argue his worth as a player and how smart it was to assume he could be a regular (or utility) infielder, but there is at least some factual basis for it.
   173. Michael Posted: April 27, 2004 at 09:28 PM (#573588)
He played just over 2 innings in the infield in 2003. At the beginning of spring training the Dodgers announced that he wouldn't be playing infield at all this year. I don't think that was done because he was such a great infielder, or because the Dodgers don't have a desire for versatile players. It was done because he as a second baseman, he makes an excellent outfielder.

Trading for a player thinking that he could be moved back to the infield is one thing. Trading for him and not realizing that he's been an outfielder for the past year plus is foolish.
   174. Jim Furtado Posted: May 02, 2004 at 02:13 PM (#573591)
Bump to top.
   175. akrasian Posted: May 03, 2004 at 12:12 AM (#615955)
And now Syd Thrift has retired. So the last act (that we know of) of his major league career was recommending that the D-Rays trade for Romano. As a way to go out, that's sort of sad.
   176. Chris Needham Posted: May 03, 2004 at 02:05 AM (#615997)
It's not sad. That's called a microcosm.
   177. "Andruw for HoF" sure died down Posted: May 03, 2004 at 05:25 AM (#616034)
Any word on when/if Antonio Perez will start in LA? Cora's .203/.282/.328 leaves a little something to be desired.
   178. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: May 03, 2004 at 06:05 AM (#616045)
I'll always be grateful for Syd Thrift, even if he isn't much of a front office guy any more. Back in the day, he put together some pretty good Pirate teams.
   179. akrasian Posted: May 03, 2004 at 11:50 PM (#616175)
There's no roster room at the moment up in LA. First middle infielder injury he'll be called up. As it is, once Jayson Werth comes off the dl somebody will have to be DFAed or traded. And they're carrying 12 pitchers right now because they don't want to lose Brian Falkenborg, and none of their relievers have options. It's going to be interesting to see how DePodesta handles the roster crunch - because the Dodgers are in the midst of a serious one.
   180. Smitty* Posted: May 04, 2004 at 04:06 PM (#616354)
What's the scouting report on Perez's fielding at 2nd? Does he look like he'll be adequate with the glove?
   181. akrasian Posted: May 04, 2004 at 06:14 PM (#616367)
Baseball America says that he is excellent, saying he has "soft hands,a strong arm, and good instincts." I don't think he showed that in his callup last year, though.
   182. BobT Posted: May 08, 2004 at 04:26 PM (#620457)
The Dodgers did call up a middle infielder, but it was Joe Thurston who is taking the place of the injured Dave Roberts who Jose Hernandez moving into the "Wheel of leftfielders"
   183. akrasian Posted: May 08, 2004 at 08:00 PM (#620734)
Yeah, I don't fully understand that. I'm assuming it's either wanting Perez to play full time rather than being the bench player, or wanting the lefthanded bat off of the bench.

Personally, even though he just came back from the dl himself, I would have called up Cody Ross. But that's just me.
   184. Greg Franklin Posted: October 12, 2004 at 06:10 PM (#912036)
STAND BY FOR NEWS!
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.