Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Monday, April 26, 2004

Cleveland Indians

Acquired 3B Russ Branyan from the Atlanta Braves for a PTBNL; acquired P Rick White from the LA Dodgers for OF Trey Dyson.

Pretty straightfoward trade - White and Branyan are useful spare type parts that weren’t be used by their current organizations, so the Indians trade some fodder to stash these two in Buffalo for the time being.  Dyson’s looking like an organizational player at this point - despite being a college player, he’s been very ordinary and has advanced very slowly as a result.  Dyson will probably peak as a AAA backup.

White will be used sooner with a couple key injuries and a few in the bullpen still getting hit on a regular basis.  Branyan would have been handy with the Braves but they lost interest in him after a series of 0-fers in spring training.

Dan Szymborski Posted: April 26, 2004 at 04:46 PM | 2 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Matthew Rich Posted: January 09, 2003 at 06:37 AM (#562844)
Uncle Tupelo rules.

I don't get why Dan is so against signing Terry Mulholland. It's a one-year deal, doubtless for less than a million, for the guy to basically be a player-coach and soak up a few innings when Jason Bere gets knocked out in the 2nd inning. It's Dolan's money, after all, and the Indians' top three lefty SP prospects could all use a bit more seasoning in Buffalo.

Ditto all of the above for Burba. I would rather the Indians had signed either Anderson or Bere (but not both), but again, they each only got a 1 year deal. What's the harm?

Anyone else feeling a little relieved by Shapiro's signings this offseason (the 4 pitchers mentioned above, plus minor deals for Jose Santiago, Jack Cressend, and Casey Blake) compared to last year? Multi-year deals for Ricky Gutierrez, Mark Wohlers, Matt Lawton, and Bob Wickman. Yuck. Maybe 3 of those 4 guys getting majorly injured was the best thing that could happen to Shapiro in that he immediately saw the insanity of multi-year deals for veteran players.

As for 3rd, I guess it kind of depends on Gutierrez's recovery from the neck surgery. I think the best outcome would be for Blake to be the starter. On a related note, does anybody know if Rule V pick Travis Chapman was actually sent to Detroit?
   102. Matthew Rich Posted: January 09, 2003 at 04:53 PM (#562854)
Fantasy question: Will Ricardo Rodriguez or Cliff Lee make the Indians' rotation? Who is better?

R-Rod will be in the rotation to start the season. I'd stay away from him in a fantasy league though. I expect Lee and Traber to start at Buffalo, with Tallet getting the last rotation slot.

About McDougall -- Mulholland was NOT ON THE 40-MAN ROSTER during the Rule V draft. If you want to blame somebody's presence for the loss of McDougall (and Luna and White and Thompson), blame Jose Santiago or Jack Cressend or Chad Paronto. I think the odds are pretty good that McDougall will be returned at some point this season anyway. And if he isn't, well... I'll admit I would rather have protected him than Santiago, but given the number of other really fantastic moves Shapiro has made, I'm willing to forgive him this one.

Look, I'm sure that if/when Shapiro decides Lee or Traber is ready to start in the majors, he's not going to let the presence of Mulholland get in his way. You can put him on waivers, hide him on the DL, maybe convince the Cubs or Brewers they need his services. I really don't see a downside to this move.
   103. Matthew Rich Posted: January 09, 2003 at 06:57 PM (#562856)
I hate when I make two posts with the same fake name

Who are you then?

but I didn't blame Mulholland, I was pointing out that Mulholland _and his like_ can hurt the team without ever throwing a single hanging curve or hacking at a pitch 2 feet outside the strike zone. I was arguing with your general "Eh, it isn't that bad" defense. Steven Weick over in the newsgroup pulls that all the time when he's defending Gutirrez.

Do you post in the newsgroup too? Actually, Weick is kind of schizophrenic about this -- he was blasting the Bere signing, saying how it would take away from development time for our young pitchers, while he lets the Gutierrez signing and Chris Magruder's continued presence slide.

The downside is that we have to play with a 24 man roster for however long it takes for Shapiro to realize Mulholland is just as much of a waste as he appears to be. Not the end of the world, but he's certainly worse than the 41st best player in the organization.

Something to keep in mind, aside from the fact that Lee, Tallet, and Traber average only 8 AAA starts apiece, is that if we leave any of them in Buffalo all year we keep an option year. I believe the arbitration clock has already started for Lee and Tallet, however.

I just think that letting any (or all) of these guys throw every fifth day in Buffalo is not the end of the world, and Mulholland is still a useful guy to have around. As are Burba and Anderson. Bere, on the other hand...

McDougall has a whole season of AA, is a pretty decent hitter, and can play every position in the infield. For a team that has a pretty solid infield already, they should have no problem carrying a decent utility infielder. McDougall is probably a better player than Bill Selby today.

Sure. But Casey Blake will probably be getting that roster spot instead, and he's better than either of them while being just as cheap as McDougall. Of course, McDougall should still be in AA so that's kind of beside the point.

Shane Spencer is a pretty useful player, but not to this team. Every at bat he gets should've gone to one of the bevy of mediocre OF/DH types that we have in the high minors.

All of whom are left-handed. Spencer was signed to provide a little righty power to the major league club this year. Just because the Indians have a lot of talent in the minors doesn't mean that they should all be pushed to the big league club. There's plenty of developing they can do in AA and AAA.
   104. Mr. Crowley Posted: January 09, 2003 at 11:31 PM (#562959)
It's a trap!
   105. TribeGuy Posted: January 09, 2003 at 11:37 PM (#562960)
My understanding is that Lawton may not be 100% for opening day so Spencer is insurance. Still not a great use of limited resources.
   106. Bill Posted: January 09, 2003 at 11:51 PM (#562962)
I don't see how this helps the Indians much either. But putting that aside, for a guy who has played only 345 games and who can be charitably described as a so-so fourth outfielder, he has had a remarkable career. His resume includes:

1. His 1998 campaign which may be the greatest of any late season call-up ever (and for one of history's great teams to boot).

2. A starring role in his very first playoff series.

3. Hitting into an unassisted triple play, the only one in the history of baseball in NYC.

4. Participating in one of the most famous defensive plays in post-season.

5. Playing for 4 pennant winners, 3 world series winners.

Whatever he does from here on out, he will have a lot to tell the grandkids.
   107. TribeGuy Posted: January 09, 2003 at 11:58 PM (#562862)
I think the conventional wisdom is that prospects don't develop as well at the Major League level and benefit from additional time in the minors where the emphasis is on developing skills.

Putting a line-up of nine rookie prospects on the field in Cleveland to get their butt's kicked every day probably wouldn't be beneficial to their development. So I don't object to signing some cheap vets to 1 year deals to help bridge the gap until the kids are truly ready to win at the major league level. So long as the vets take a back seat the day management determines the prospect is ready to play full-time.
   108. Walt Davis Posted: January 10, 2003 at 01:16 AM (#562864)
Putting a line-up of nine rookie prospects on the field in Cleveland to get their butt's kicked every day probably wouldn't be beneficial to their development. So I don't object to signing some cheap vets to 1 year deals to help bridge the gap until the kids are truly ready to win at the major league level. So long as the vets take a back seat the day management determines the prospect is ready to play full-time.

Well, sure, but how many vets and what kids? Burks, Vizquel, Lawton, Spencer (who's "promised" 450 AB), Gutierrez, Bere, Anderson, Wickman, Mulholland, maybe Burba. Some of the "kids" include Karim Garcia (27), Bill Selby (32), Casey Blake (29), Ben Broussard (26), so obviously none of those guys need more minor-league experience. Then you have 2 real kids with lots of ML experience in Sabathia (22 with 2 years of ML experience) and Bradley (25 with parts of 3 years).

So that leaves only 2 spots for young guys looking to break in -- Phillips (22) at 2B and Bard (25) at C. It might be nice to find ABs for Escobar (still just 24 accoring to b-r) and Hafner (26), but I don't know how you do it with all those folks around. That's a long, long way from a line-up of 9 rookie prospects, too far IMHO. And worse yet, Phillips is out of position and Bard is not their long-term answer at C, so you gain little from breaking him in.

Just to be clear -- as of this moment, you're looking at the vast majority of LF, RF, DH ABs going to Spencer, Lawton, K Garcia, and Burks. Even at just 450-500 PA apiece, that soaks up pretty much all those PAs. That leaves nothing for Escobar while Hafner & Broussard split 1B. Both those guys will be 27 next year, supposedly in their prime, but they'll only have two half-seasons under their belts.

Spencer was a dumb signing.
   109. Walt Davis Posted: January 10, 2003 at 01:19 AM (#562966)
copied over from the Burba/Mulholland thread...

Just to be clear -- as of this moment, you're looking at the vast majority of LF, RF, DH ABs going to Spencer, Lawton, K Garcia, and Burks. Even at just 450-500 PA apiece, that soaks up pretty much all those PAs. That leaves nothing for Escobar while Hafner & Broussard split 1B. Both those guys will be 27 next year, supposedly in their prime, but they'll only have two half-seasons under their belts.

Spencer was a dumb signing. He's taking ABs away from Hafner, Broussard, and Escobar.
   110. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: January 10, 2003 at 01:22 AM (#562865)
What is up with all the Josh Bard bashing? Give me some reasons why he shouldn't be the Indians next catcher (besides Vic Martinez) As I have said before, I would much rather have bard behind the plate with a young staff than Martinez and his bat. Why can't Martinez move to 3rd? He was drafted as a SS. Would he have been moved to catcher if his arm was crappy? Don;t make this into a Bard vs Martinez argument. Tell me why you all don;t like Bard.
   111. Scott Posted: January 10, 2003 at 05:39 AM (#562971)
At the risk of damning Shane with faint praise: he is a useful player, kept within his role:

1. Spencer is a good fielder. Granted, this is my subjective view as a Yankee fan. But it's a shared view among Yankee-watchers that he's been their best fielder (setting aside whether Juan Rivera proves to be good).

2. Spencer used to have a strong platoon split; he just mashed lefties. I think that wasn't the case so much in 2002 (sorry, no stats at my fingertips), but I do remember looking it up in the spring of 2002, and he'd had a big split his whole career before 2002.

So Spencer definitely is a valuable player within proper limits: platooning against lefties plus defensive value. And he generally compares favorably to most teams' backup OFs.

Of course, he appears to have signed with Cleveland for the precise reason that they were the team silly enough to indicate that he'd have a much broader role....
   112. SM in DC Posted: January 10, 2003 at 07:06 AM (#562976)
Bully for the Tribe... as a Yankee fan, I'm kinda sad to see Spencer go. He was, as I said elsewhere, the Yankees best defensive outfielder last season (stop laughing... not kidding). I think given a full season's at bats, Shane will acquit himself quite nicely.
   113. TribeGuy Posted: January 10, 2003 at 07:33 AM (#562868)
I don't defend the Spencer signing. It does make me scratch my head.

But this is the thread about Mulholland and Burba. I don't really have a problem with signings like them and Bere and Anderson (although all four seem a bit excessive). Guys like Cliff Lee, Traber, Tallet, Guthrie, Jason Davis, etc. could all use some success at AAA before being thown in the fire at the major league level. I believe the Indians are certainly in better shape (and have a better plan) on the pitching front than with their hitters.

Even so, I don't see Bard or McDonald blocking Phillips or Martinez once the "powers that be" decide they are ready.

Looking long term:

- Hafner and Brousard split 1B (and eventually DH when Burks moves on)

- I think Karim Garcia could finally realize his pontential and be an important part of the Indians revival (middle of the order hitter for the next 3 years.)

- 3B is a bit of a hole, but hopefully Corey Smith can cut down on his errors or Matt Whitney can come on quickly.

- CF belongs to Grady Sizemore in the long run, assuming Escobar doesn't rediscover his prospect gene.

- That leaves LF and SS post-Vizquel unclaimed. I'm sure the Indians can find somebody in their system (Peralta, Church, Luis Garcia) or fill the spot with a free agent when the time is right.
   114. jwb Posted: January 10, 2003 at 03:58 PM (#562981)
The best hockey player in the Bahamas?
   115. Brian Posted: January 10, 2003 at 04:07 PM (#562982)
Barry, no apologies needed for the length of a really good post like that.
   116. Snowboy Posted: January 10, 2003 at 05:41 PM (#562983)
Barry makes some good points. I like him making note of possible fan reaction. Let's expand on it! The Indians this year are going to stink, compared to the last decade. If Opening Day sells out, it will be the only 42,000 day all year. They're headed for 75-80 wins, and 20-25,000/game if they're lucky. (ie half the gate revenues)

Shane Spencer: Indians fans have already made up their mind about him. He's a Yankee, and not welcome. If he hits poorly, he will be ridden mercilessly, and Shapiro will be loudly ridiculed for signing this guy. If he hits well, he MIGHT be accepted as "not as bad as I thought he was gonna be," to be quickly followed by "but the team still sucks, he'll be gone next year anyway, and what is Shapiro doing!?"

The Spencer signing probably pushes Broussard back to Buffalo, and I think he deserves a chance to prove he can't hit the majors, because he has nothing left to prove in the minors. If Broussard stunk and the team stunk, at least Shapiro would have his answer on the guy. If Broussard shone and the team stunk, fans could say "hey, this rookie is good; sure, the team loses, but we're on the right track."

The signings of Mulholland and Burba are the same. Best case: "not as bad as I said they would be." Probable case: "you see, they suck! The team sucks! We're going no where, I thought we were rebuilding! Hey, how about those Buckeyes, they're holding spring workouts..."

Shapiro should have spent this money on a 3B, instead of praying Gutierrez's neck heals and he can move him to another new (and non-shortstop) position.

Oh, and Brad Fullmer tested the market - ended up crawling back to his old team and signing for $1M, a quarter of what he made this year. I don't see anyone taking Ellis Burks and his $7M.
   117. Snowboy Posted: January 10, 2003 at 05:55 PM (#562870)
Dan predicts 200 IP and 4.60 ERA for Burba. Problem is, is fastball doesn't seem so fast anymore, and that splitter ain't dropping. I say 100 IP, and era over 6.

I can live with these signings, I guess. Indians have pitching futures, but not ready yet, and these guys aren't really blocking anyone (and won't be during season, if someone is ready for callup.) Unlike Shane Spencer signing (see other thread for comment.)

The biggest problem here is the PR. Indians fans are mostly sick of Burba, and laughing at Mulholland being older than the manager.
   118. Walt Davis Posted: January 11, 2003 at 07:05 AM (#562996)
I think what Shapiro is doing is defensible. He's filling out the roster with a bunch of guys making between 750k and 1 mil. Those guys can do their thing while the future is being polished in Buffalo. Once the young guys are ready and have *earned* their spot in the majors they can replace the older guys without much of problem.

What polishing the future? Broussard is 27, he's in his prime, not with his future ahead of him. It's (past) time to find out what he can do.

And please remind me -- what is it exactly that Shane Spencer (career 768 OPS and 99 OPS+ for a corner OF) have done to earn a spot in the majors?

Also, from the AP story:

Spencer, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in July 2000, was never able to get 300 at-bats in a season with the New York Yankees.

Trimble said Spencer wants the opportunity to play every day.

``That was a requirement that he had for any team,'' Trimble said. ``Not that he be a starter, but that he have the opportunity to get 450 at-bats.''

Someone mentioned trading Lawton. Good luck. What's he got left, 3 years, $21 M? In this market?
   119. PanRains Posted: January 11, 2003 at 04:06 PM (#562998)
I was actually a lot more excited (as an Indian fan) about the Spencer signing until I looked at his stats. Bleahh. Oh well - a few points:
   120. Jim (jimmuscomp) Posted: January 11, 2003 at 05:15 PM (#562999)
good post panrains. i would say that hafner has killed lefties in the minors, and ought to be given every opportunity to do so against MOST american lefties, with the exception of the very best ones. i also think broussard either makes it this year or goes away, and i think bradley's in the same boat. i'm not sure burks will deliver prospects along the lines of rodriguez and cruceta but you're right - a team in a pennant race will take on a $3-million or so hit to get him for a run the playoffs. he's a free agent after the season, so you're not buying into a long-term deal. on the other hand, we are stuck with ricky GIDP. he's a nice guy and all, but it would be best for the indians if his injury won't permit him to play. they get relief from the contract through insurance and don't feel forced to play him. maybe blake can be an average 3rd baseman. lawton is going to be the toughest case. even if he is back to 100% and hits .280/.390/.450, no one is going to pick up that contract. best we can hope for is he returns to form and we can get a couple good years out of him. i'd also like to see them trade omar. he should have been the one they asked to move to 2B, not phillips.
   121. Walt Davis Posted: January 11, 2003 at 07:15 PM (#563001)
I don't see the point in making a guy like Broussard "earn" it. If he was younger, maybe. But it's time to find out if he can play and why miss that opportunity for Shane Spencer?

Shane Spencer's a perfectly decent reserve OF who hits lefties pretty well. He might well be a nice fit on the right contending team (the A's maybe). Heck, he'd be at least a decent fit on pretty much any team except a rebuilding one with lots of corner players. The Indians strike me as about the worst possible fit for a guy like Spencer.

As to signing lousy vets in hopes they'll do something good and you can flip them for prospects later ... what's the point of this if you're not willing to play your prospects now? Do you really expect to get a better prospect than Ben Broussard for Shane Spencer? Isn't it just as likely that, if you played Broussard, he'd do something good and you could flip him for prospects if you want?

Their pitching signings I'm more understanding of (except Mulholland). Yes, relying on a starting rotation of Sabathia and 4 rookies (some of whom haven't hit AAA yet I think) is a bad idea. I'd ding those signings mainly because I think you'd be better off with guys like Helling, Suppan, or Valdes.
   122. PanRains Posted: January 11, 2003 at 11:05 PM (#563004)
Yeah, when I said something about making Broussard earn it I was waiting for someone to ask the obvious question "Shouldn't Spencer have to earn it?" I do get a good feel for Shapiro, lack of any real evidence notwithstanding. My fear is that the Tribe is going to wind up being like my perception of the Blue Jays of the late '80's: because they have so many prospects, they'll give Lee three starts in which he's not good, so they'll send him down and bring up Tallet, who'll do okay, but by then Guthrie will have made 5 lights out starts in AA so we'll call him up to get beat around a little bit, and by then they'll think "Let's see what Traber does as a matchup lefty" so you spend a year actually regressing. What they need to do is decide who are the two best candidates for the rotation in March and say "Cliff and Ricardo (or Brian and Bill or Jason or whomever): you have until July to prove that you're not ready. Don't look over your shoulder, cause you're our guy."
   123. Snowboy Posted: January 13, 2003 at 09:29 PM (#563021)
Marshall...bullseye.

Barry, when Marshall says this is the year to pick the 2005 lineup, of course he doesn't mean call up Grady Sizemore today. He means don't block him by signing Karim Garcia (etc.) to a four year contract.

As for Lawton, I don't think they'd have too much trouble moving him. Lawton wouldn't hurt any contending team, he's a good all-around ballplayer.
   124. Bill Posted: January 13, 2003 at 10:30 PM (#563023)
Please don't include the highly professional Messrs. Kaat and Singleton with the other broadcast booth droolers. I realize that Michael Kay, who is awful in almost every respect, does 75% of the Yankee yakking and this can lead to damning the other guys, but Kaat and Singleton broadcast in very much the same fluid and classy syle they exhibited on the field.
   125. Mr. Crowley Posted: January 16, 2003 at 05:31 AM (#563465)
It's a trap!
   126. Snowboy Posted: January 16, 2003 at 10:07 AM (#563468)
2003 is going to be a long, awful season for Tribe fans who have seen winners for better part of last 10 years. Shapiro needs to help fans salivate for the future, because the present is going to be comparatively ugly. He can't say it, but he needs to help fans think of 2003 the way many Vietnam guys considered their tour - count backwards. Start at 162, and count backwards.

He is not doing this right now. Spencer stealing ABs from Broussard does not do this. Shuttling Wendell Magee between Buffalo and Cleveland does not do this, especially if he takes the train instead of Jody Gerut, or Escobar, or Coco Crisp. Burying Brian Tallet, Cliff Lee, Alex Herrera behind Terry Mulholland does not do this.

And effectively releasing Earl Snyder does not do this. Shapiro should play Snyder at 3B for 30-40 games this year, and at least demonstrate that this guy he got in the Alomar trade has not worked out. If Snyder surprises and hits, play him 60. If he commits 18 errors, it might be cruel, but it only leaves 120 games for the rest of the 3B crew to play. Any attempt to reduce the number of starts by John McDonald, Max Alvis, Alvaro Espinosa, Rickey Gutierrez, etc, is welcome. Count backwards.
   127. NTNgod Posted: January 18, 2003 at 12:50 AM (#563481)
BTW, Red Sox claimed Snyder off waivers.
   128. Matthew Rich Posted: April 04, 2003 at 08:42 PM (#565566)
I'll go along with Joe Ptak's speculation on the CIR that Billy Traber will get Bere's starts instead of Westbrook. Actually, I think Westbrook will end up being a pretty darned good reliever this season, and Traber will get roughed up pretty good a few times before being demoted to Buffalo in mid-May.
   129. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: April 05, 2003 at 02:20 AM (#565567)
Jeremy Guthrie's line last night 6 IP 3 Hits 3 Walks 3 K for Akron.
   130. Matthew Rich Posted: June 13, 2003 at 02:40 AM (#566116)
Thanks for spelling Jhonny's name right. ESPN.com has him as John Peralta.

In any case, I was mighty surprised that he was called up. As Joe Ptak speculated on the CIR, this is probably just to reward him for working hard at Buffalo and give him a week or 10 days with the big club before Ricky Gutierrez is brought up. I thought they would just call up Gutierrez and stick him at SS; he's done pretty well at Buffalo in his rehab.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only position players currently with the Indians with more than 3 years in the majors are Matt Lawton and Tim Laker. That's pretty unbelievable. Shane Spencer too, I guess, but he's been MIA for about a week now.
   131. Jason Phair Posted: June 13, 2003 at 08:24 PM (#566117)
Do they plan on McDonald playing short or playing 2nd with Phillips moving to short?
   132. jb Posted: June 13, 2003 at 09:16 PM (#566118)
mcdonald at SS, phillips at 2B. peralta will mix in at 3B, apparently, which is where he played last night for 2 innings.
   133. mike Posted: July 10, 2003 at 05:36 PM (#566460)
Is this just another move designed to free 40-man roster space?
   134. Matthew Rich Posted: July 10, 2003 at 05:44 PM (#566461)
Is this just another move designed to free 40-man roster space?

If you mean by the Indians, then yes. They're pretty clearly focusing on minimizing Rule 5 losses already.
   135. Eric Posted: July 10, 2003 at 08:26 PM (#566462)
Hey, all three of today's transactions involve recent Orioles scrubs! Doesn't mean anything, obviously...
   136. flournoy Posted: July 10, 2003 at 08:44 PM (#566463)
"Orioles scrubs" - isn't that a redundancy?
   137. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 15, 2003 at 03:17 AM (#566525)
Supposedly, they're going to bring Phillips back up when rosters expand, if not sooner. They just want to let him build up some confidence, and that's not too bad an idea.
   138. Jason Posted: July 15, 2003 at 05:59 AM (#566526)
There's a few benefits to sending Phillips down. First and foremost, he was overmatched by pitching in the Big Show. That's not really a bad thing, he is after all only 21. Let him go down to Buffalo, build up some confidence, learn that the bending pitch that ends up in the dirt four inches off the plate should not be swung at, then bring him back in September to show the improvements, and start fresh in 2004.

The other, less obvious, benefit is that it may move his clock back a year. He was up in mid-September of 2002, so he'll have to spend well over a month in Buffalo, and even then he may be a Super Two. It'd be no surprise if he stayed in Buffalo through the International League playoffs - you know, to help them win it - before being brought back up. Someone with his obvious talents and his track record of success shouldn't need to spend any more time in the minors after this two month excursion.

Then again, wasn't Wilson Betemit supposed to be the best ss/3b in the NL by now?
   139. PanRains Posted: July 15, 2003 at 04:43 PM (#566527)
Excellent point Jason. Whether intentionally or not, the Indians have garnered at least an extra year before free agency on many of their young guns, and quite probably an extra year before arbitration for them. The way I understand it, rookies making their major league debut on Opening Day 2003 will become eligible for arbitration after the 2005 season and eligible for Free Agency after 2008 (assuming they don't go back to the Minors during that time). The Indians have now forestalled Free Agency (and potentially Arbitration, if these guys are not Super Twos) on the following:

Brandon Phillips
   140. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 15, 2003 at 05:03 PM (#566528)
If Phillips is down for less than 30 days, it counts as a full year's worth of service.
   141. b Posted: July 19, 2003 at 05:18 PM (#566691)
I'm pretty sure you can trade a disabled player, you just need permission from the office of bud. since rodriguez was apparently healthy and ready to come off the dl, that permission would likely be granted.
   142. flournoy Posted: July 19, 2003 at 05:42 PM (#566692)
I don't think being healthy and ready to come off the DL has anything to do with the commissioner's approval. I think so long as the team receiving the injured player has been informed all there is to know about the injury, then the trade gets the OK.
   143. Veee Posted: July 19, 2003 at 08:21 PM (#566696)
I get the impression that Rodriguez is not healthy. From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"Ricardo has a legitimate injury," said Shapiro. "A second MRI revealed that there's something going on with his hip. He received a shot today and may need surgery on the hip somewhere down the road. But for now, the Rangers are going to treat it conservatively."

Rodriguez entered the season as the Indians' #2 starter (and top pitching prospect?). I guess the injuries and maybe the ineffectiveness have hurt his top prospect status.

Nobody really raves about Ludwick, though BP almost put him on their Top 40 Prospect list this year. The Oracle says he's ready now, but Shapiro says he will not play regularly. I think they should give him Coco Crisp's playing time. Crisp sure isn't doing much with it (.252/.306/.341 in 135 ABs) and we need the power. Jody Gerut is the only Indian slugging over .500, though Bradley is close.
   144. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 20, 2003 at 12:38 AM (#566702)
Non-stars don't generally age like Barry Bonds. Spencer's not good enough to survive even the slightest decline.

Or, to put it more bluntly, Spencer would have to have a single good year before we can expect another 4 or 5 ones. Even having his best season since 2000, he doesn't hit enough to have any real value. Spencer's only real value is that of a spot-starter behind a lefty with a bad platoon split, but guys like that appear on the waiver-wire.
   145. Chris Reed Posted: July 20, 2003 at 02:44 AM (#566703)
Ludwick is a very nice hitter who could be an above average hitter from center field. The question that will be answered is if he his swing is good enough to hit for a decent average the major league level. Wouldn't surprise me if he hit anywhere from .230-.270 as a professional.

I am not a fan of Rodriguez's at all. I see him as a #5 starter or bullpen arm. I wouldn't expect great things out of him - about 1/100 of pitchign prospects like Rodriguez have Runelvys Hernandez run of success, so who knows, but I'll put it this way, I wouldn't trade for him.
   146. Bill Posted: July 21, 2003 at 04:23 PM (#566704)
"Is Teixiera going to move to left now to create a Teixiera-Nix-Mench 2004 opening day outfield with Adrian Gonzalez at first in the future?"
   147. Mr. Crowley Posted: October 05, 2003 at 04:44 PM (#567804)
It's a trap!
   148. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 05, 2003 at 11:28 PM (#567806)
LaRocca's pretty solidly in eighth place on my hoped-for infield NRI list for the Pirates. He might make a decent Plan C at third, but he's still behind Lou Collier, Mike Lamb, Bobby Smith, Simon Pond, Ross Gload, Kevin Orie, and Chris Clapinski.

There's nothing that says the team couldn't sign more than one of that bunch. It's not like the system's exactly choked with infield prospects right now.
   149. Matthew Rich Posted: October 07, 2003 at 07:11 PM (#567807)
Elder's got a bum wing and LaRocca is a butcher in the field, but Santiago and Magruder are definitely good guys to fill out a 25-man. Santiago can go multiple innings in relief and keeps the ball in the park.

Magruder especially would be a good 4th outfielder, I think. He's a switch hitter, average to slightly-above-average defensively, and he put up a 328/391/474 over 137 ABs while rehabbing in Buffalo this year. And he's 26. If I were him I'd refuse the assignment to Buffalo since in Cleveland he's buried behind Lawton, Bradley, Gerut, Escobar, Crisp, and Sizemore (did I forget anybody?) and hope to catch on with the Braves or Cubs or some other good team with a weak outfield bench. Worst comes to worst, he'll be back in AAA next year with a different organization, no worse off than he is now.
   150. Edmundo Posted: October 18, 2003 at 03:00 AM (#567833)
Dan, Dan, where are the big Phillies moves?
   151. Gaylord Perry the Platypus (oi!) Posted: October 18, 2003 at 03:46 PM (#567834)
"P Ellis Burks" will "pick up a part-time DH job"? Wouldn't it be easier to just sign with an NL team? I would think a pitcher who's good enough to be a DH could make more than 1-2 million a year.

What's that? A typo? Nver hrd if thst!
   152. Darren Posted: October 19, 2003 at 11:11 PM (#567837)
Actually, Dan, the weird thing is that the Fullmer move doesn't appear on MLB's transactions, but there have been a couple articles about him. This is from the UPI article:

"Brad Fullmer, who underwent season-ending knee surgery in July, has been released by the Anaheim Angels."

How exactly is it a paper move? Is he no really a FA?
   153. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 20, 2003 at 05:25 PM (#567840)
Stinnett declined? How odd. I doubt he gets much more than the minimum as a FA.

Maybe he couldn't deal with Bowa.
   154. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 23, 2003 at 01:32 PM (#567844)
Maybe they need a new supplier for illegal supplements?
   155. Scott B Posted: October 23, 2003 at 02:21 PM (#567845)
I bet a friend a couple years back that Wohler's would get at least 10 more saves in his lifetime. Since then he has 7. I hope he doesn't retire.
   156. Snowboy Posted: December 27, 2003 at 07:37 PM (#570780)
Nice job by Dr Jekyl/Mr Shapiro. No need at this point to sign anyone for more than 1 year, esp. considering what was avail. for 2B this winter. Belliard is not going to remind Tribe fans of Robbie Alomar, but he'll put in a good effort. Fills the hole, doesn't block anybody, hopefully $1M or less.

Now...call the Yankees, and offer them Ryan Church as an OFer for Columbus with possible MLB future (they're a little thin there, he'd be better than Marcus Thames, etc.). Agree to take Jon Lieber off their hands, they obviously don't have a rotation spot for him...
   157. Will B. Posted: December 27, 2003 at 09:48 PM (#570783)
Here's a general transactions question: why are the terms of some contracts released to the general public, while others (like Belliard, Batista and Brian Jordan) are not?

I may be wrong, but eventually the MLB Player's Union releases the salaries of all its members. I'm sure Belliard's salary isn't some big secret - just nobody has cared enough to find out what it is yet.
   158. Will B. Posted: December 27, 2003 at 09:50 PM (#570784)
The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting:

He'll make an estimated $1 million plus incentives, but he'll have to do something exceptional to hold the position past 2004.

"He" is Ron Belliard.
   159. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: December 28, 2003 at 04:00 PM (#570786)
I was in the Indians team shop in Summit Mall yesterday and they have seemed to have already sold out of Ronnie Belliard jerseys. I couldn't find any.
   160. Will B. Posted: December 28, 2003 at 06:44 PM (#570787)
Well, to continue the hijack.

The Browns don't need a quarterback. Tim Couch is an above average passer and would be acceptable on a good team. But both Couch and Holcomb have been getting splattered all year (Couch his whole career) by defenses. Look at the Steelers game earlier this year on Sunday night - Couch was not getting a pass rush and absolutely destroyed the Steelers.

The Browns biggest needs are about three solid offensive linemen and both safety positions. My prediction is that you'll see Tim Couch restructure his contract and be named the full time starter next season. Holcomb will be the backup. Also, Robert Griffith is sure to be cut - there's no excuse for this defense to give up so many big runs so consistently.

As it stands right now, the Browns will have the fifth pick of the draft. With it, I'd imagine they'd take Shawn Andrews from Arkansas or Robert Gallery from Iowa. In the second round, they'd likely get a safety such as Brandon Everage from Oklahoma or Stuart Schweigert from Purdue. In the third round, they should take Chris Snee of Boston College or David Baas of Michigan (assuming either one is still on the board).

Really, they're top priority should be signing me to be the General Manager.
   161. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: December 29, 2003 at 12:03 AM (#570790)
It really doesn't matter who the Browns get for the line, they wil get hurt in preseason or in the first 2 games anyhow.
   162. MM1f Posted: December 29, 2003 at 03:20 AM (#570792)
If you are looking for a QB let me make a recommendation...
   163. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: December 29, 2003 at 04:20 AM (#570793)
I like Phillip Rivers as well. But then again I like Dave Ragone and look where that got him.
   164. Will B. Posted: December 29, 2003 at 05:48 AM (#570795)
LOL, this has totally become a football thread.

Anyways...

I would love Gallery to be the pick as well as LT is our biggest need on the line IMO. Faine looks like he'll be good at C, but the rest of the line is "replacement level."

I don't think Rivers will be a great pro. I've only seen him once (vs. Ohio State this year) and it appeared to me that his throwing motion is too funky to translate well in the pros. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like he delivers the ball really low. He could prove me wrong though.

I too think Rothliesberger will be the best pro QB, but I also have a sneaky suspicion that Navarre will turn out pretty good too. Manning - I'm not sold on him at all. Isn't JP Losman supposed to be good? Have never seen him play.

Statistical performance doesn't translate so well from college to the pros in football - the system and conference a guy plays in can make or break his stats.

I think Suggs is a good one and I'm starting to doubt that William Green will ever play in the NFL again. He's talented, but his head has never been on straight.

The interesting thing is that since Josh McCown played fairly well for the Cardinals down the stretch, they may not go for a QB. If they don't it *might* allow Gallery to slip to the Browns. I imagine Andrews will already be gone as he's rated as the best T in college football by most sites. Not sure when the Browns will be picking (7th? 9th?) but Sean Taylor (S - Miami) would be an interesting choice too.
   165. Will B. Posted: December 29, 2003 at 06:04 AM (#570796)
I found an updated draft order (for non-playoff teams) - the percentage is the Strength of Schedule modifier. Cleveland will draft either 7th or 8th - decided by a cointoss.

1. San Diego 4-12...0.504
   166. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 02, 2004 at 04:59 PM (#570799)
I'm actually fairly high on Timmy Chang as a low-round QB. He plays in a crazy system, but I think there's some real talent there, too.

Larry Fitzgerald is un-freakin'-believable.
   167. Rouglas Odor Eaters Posted: January 06, 2004 at 08:18 PM (#571045)
You're the one with a little bit of accomplishment in the majors, including a 12-7, 2.66 year in 2000 with Milwaukee.

ZIPS really has Cliff Lee posting a 4.80 ERA? Wow.
   168. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 07, 2004 at 07:16 AM (#571019)
I'm reasonably high on Church, but I think the Expos could've done better here.

They might be thinking of Izturis as a replacement for Cabrera after '04, which would be a pretty impressive downgrade.
   169. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 07, 2004 at 07:27 AM (#571047)
Smart signings all around. My respect for Shapiro is steadily growing.
   170. Darren Posted: January 14, 2004 at 09:44 PM (#571608)
Jimenez was one of the guys I was hoping the Red Sox would pick up. I didn't think he'd come that cheap though. Good move for Cleveland.
   171. Joe Morgan Posted: January 14, 2004 at 10:16 PM (#571609)
Jose Jimenez is a real player.

He threw a no-hitter.
   172. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 17, 2004 at 12:47 AM (#571610)
Nice moves, both.
   173. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: March 23, 2004 at 11:02 AM (#573002)
This may be a stupid question, but by signing Sauerbeck to a minor league contract, in addition to a base salary, will the Indians now pay for all costs associated with his recovery, including possible future surgeries? It seems to me like that could easily approach six figures over the course of a year.
   174. ColonelTom Posted: March 23, 2004 at 11:31 PM (#573004)
The injury is a pre-existing condition; insurance won't touch it. This signing boggles the mind. Good to see that they're using that Wickman insurance money for something useful. :-P
   175. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 24, 2004 at 12:39 AM (#573005)
Nice to see Sauerbeck hook on somewhere; he's a pretty useful reliever when healthy.
   176. Noffs Posted: March 26, 2004 at 05:09 PM (#573007)
Dan,

Wohlers is sitting out the season for personal reasons.
   177. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: April 01, 2004 at 01:48 PM (#573230)
Congratulations to Anderson on losing that weight. Even if he can't pitch in the majors, it's still something to be proud of.
   178. Chris L Posted: April 01, 2004 at 05:18 PM (#573231)
Jeriome Robertson is a pretty poor major league pitcher, but I stil am surprised that Gerry Hunsicker couldn't get a little more value for him in return. After all, he is a fairly young southpaw coming off a 15 win campaign (with ugly peripherals to be fair).

Willy Tavares is speedy, but that's about all. And Luke Scott is pretty old for a prospect, especially one who has been plying his trade in the low minors.

Still, as an Astros fan, I'm not upset about shedding Robertson. We'd be in fairly bad shape if he was needed to toe the rubber for us as a starter this season.
   179. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 01, 2004 at 06:18 PM (#573232)
MLB front offices may not be as big on peripherals as we are but they can read a 5.10 ERA in the NL and make their own conclusions.
   180. Shiny Beast Posted: April 01, 2004 at 07:22 PM (#573233)
Thumbs up for the Astros, yes; but Robertson is not totally useless. I'm pretty sure he'll get a shot in the Cleveland rotation before the season is out.

Houston apparently liked Tavares this spring. He did show some OBP skills in the minors, no? I think he is the current heir apparent to CF; also he is supposed to be really good defensively and of course can run, which comes in very handy in CF at MMPUS.

Don't know much about the other guy.

Also, I wonder if some team will be able to steal Carlos Hernandez away from the Astros this season.

One never knows, but I feel pretty confident saying this is really far-fetched. Now Saarloos, you can probably get, with a good package.
   181. jb Posted: April 01, 2004 at 08:12 PM (#573234)
i'd call it a decent deal for the indians - they trade two guys who have no chance of ever making it with the indians for a guy who could become a no. 5 starter. robertson has his qualities - as in 16 decent games in 31 starts last year. his problem seems to be when he's getting hit, he gets hammered. which makes for an easy solution. pitch him every 5 days. when he starts struggling, get him out of there NOW befroe the game gets out of hand.
   182. Shiny Beast Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:15 PM (#573236)
Franklin does not have a great platoon split, so turning him into a LOOGY probably wouldn't do much for him.

Well, it's already been tried. (See 2000, 2001.) And you are right, it did not work.
   183. Ben Posted: April 02, 2004 at 02:06 AM (#573238)
Man, Jeriome Robertson is white. That's some kinda surprise to me.

This trade is kind of a non-starter. I imagine Robertson will throw a couple of hundred replacement level innings for the Indians over the next few years and Taveras might end up a 4th outfielder.

He's fast and can take a walk, but he's got Tyner-level power problems, and the eye to discern ball from strike isn't important when every pitch is grooved because you hit like a girl. Taveras had an ISO of .070 last season. Which, astoundingly, is actually worse than the .090 he put up in low-A. Centerfielder of the future is probably going a bit far.
   184. NTNgod Posted: April 12, 2004 at 03:05 AM (#573239)
Leo Estrella was already DFA'd?

HAHAHAHAHA.

He's probably going to clear waivers, though.
   185. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 27, 2004 at 03:40 AM (#573570)
I'm no Branyan fan, but if this means no more Lou Merloni playing 1B/3B/LF on a semi-regular basis, I'm on board.

I like Merloni, I'm happy he made the team, but I'm totally confused by the way Wedge has used him.
   186. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 27, 2004 at 03:43 AM (#573571)
Oh, and I like the White pickup. Dyson's an organizational soldier at best...White's been an average-to-above average major leaguer for years.

White's 35 and didn't pitch that well last year, but what the hell, it's worth a shot. Players like Dyson are a dime a dozen.
   187. Gaylord Perry the Platypus (oi!) Posted: April 02, 2006 at 11:35 PM (#1931069)
Wonder what will happen if I post here? The article is currently dated April 26, 2004, with a comment by Craig Burley, posted August 02, 2001.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.