Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Devil Rays - Acquired Navarro

Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Acquired C Dioner Navarro and P Jae Seo from the Los Angeles Dodgers for P Mark Hendrickson and C Toby Hall.

Woo, a challenge trade!  Well, not much of a challenge for Andrew Friedman and Gerry Hunsicker, landing one of the Dodgers’ most obvious trading chips for an inadequate catcher and a swap of #5 starters.  It was long expected that the Dodgers would give up either Russell Martin or Navarro at some point, but most people, myself included, expected the team to finally pull the gun to address a need.

Hendrickson is having the best ERA of his career.  Why?

Hendrickson

Year           BABIP     ERA

Career       .301        5.21
2006         .252        3.81
Hmmm, something’s different, I just can’t quite put my finger on it…

Hendrickson, of course, remains Mark Hendrickson.  He’s still really tall.  He still has no fastball.  He still has a few other pitches of varying quality that batters swing out mainly out of boredom.

While Hendrickson should head down, Jae Seo should be heading back up and while neither are stars, just adequate #4/#5 starters.  In the long run, I’d put them about even (though Seo has more serfdom years left).

That leaves the trade as Toby Hall for Dioner Navarro.  If the Rays’ new braintrust can get contending teams to upgrade their players for free, they’ll be in contention in the AL East in no time.

Dan Szymborski Posted: June 27, 2006 at 08:28 PM | 118 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. 1k5v3L Posted: June 28, 2006 at 07:53 PM (#2079721)
This is the most exciting stuff to happen to the Dodgers since they acquired proven closer Danny Baez and proven setup guy Lance Carter. I'm sure somewhere in those threads there are tons of reasons why those two would totally dominate in LA after sucking in Tampa. Too lazy to look.

Btw, who is the closer in LA these days? Still Baez?
   102. JPWF13 Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:04 PM (#2079750)
Baez, he of the 4.42 era?
Carter he of the 8.49 era?

Ok Carter is at 2.11 in Las Vegas...
   103. I am Ted F'ing Williams Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:06 PM (#2079755)
Best as I can tell after doing some research, Navarro was NOT on the Yankees 40-man prior to his call-up. So he may still have a 2007 option which makes Navarro for Hendrickson more of an overpay by the Dodgers. Bash away!
   104. 1k5v3L Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:12 PM (#2079769)
I hope Hendrickson starts at least a couple of times against AZ, so Gonzo and Green finally get a multi-hit game against a lefty. That would do miracles to their trade value.
   105. mike f Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:12 PM (#2079771)
I'm sure somewhere in those threads there are tons of reasons why those two would totally dominate in LA after sucking in Tampa. Too lazy to look.

Here's the TO thread. Not much praise for the Dodgers.
   106. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:30 PM (#2079817)
Btw, who is the closer in LA these days? Still Baez?

NO!!!! Definately not!!! Baez will never be even considered to pitch the ninth with a lead in LA ever again! Never! There isn't a chance that would ever happen no matter what!

Saito is the closer now, but he only has four saves because the Dodgers haven't had many save opps in the last month and a half.
   107. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:40 PM (#2079846)
Gagne and Seo also have a save each in that time, but Seo's was a four inning mop-up save.

Also, this may be impossible to believe, but I actually found somebody who thought the trade was good for the Dodgers:
boone the trade today was great i dont care what you say. dioner was bad, martin is only a million times better. seo has nothing on hendrickson. toby hall is much better than dioner. ned colleti has done some great things.

But most Dodger fans consider this an outrage, myself included.
   108. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: June 28, 2006 at 08:43 PM (#2079858)
105- I said the Devil Rays got raped in the Baez/Carter deal. Turned out just to be garbage for garbage.
   109. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: June 28, 2006 at 09:56 PM (#2080001)
I guess I killed the thread.
   110. "Andruw for HoF" sure died down Posted: June 29, 2006 at 12:54 AM (#2080378)
People said Baez/Carter coming out of the AL East was going to do miracles for their pitching lines too, and see where that's gotten them.

Better prospects than Navarro have been traded for worse pitchers than Hendrickson having worse years that Hendrickson's having. Waiting another month may move the Dodgers into sellers, and the NL West is very winnable *this* year. If Navarro is traded for Aaron Small 2005 version, the Dodgers should be thrilled.

Lowe, Penny, Hendrickson, Tomko are locks for the rotation, Sele is still alive and kicking, Billingsley may be the answer, and I'm sure some GM/pitching coach thinks Odalis can be fixed. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a precursor to the Dodgers trading a SP for an OF bat.
   111. JC in DC Posted: June 29, 2006 at 02:51 AM (#2080559)
#### you, larry. one sentance later: "he may earn another shot ... then we can evaluate him some more, right?"

sorry crisp p, I read your comment just like Larry and Steve. That next sentence doesn't act as a qualifier or limiter of the first. To me it actually strengthens the point ... "unless he gets another shot, he's been nothing but a failure."

You may not have thought that's what you were saying, but it's definitely what you actually said.

I read it your way, Chris P, and of course Larry did what Larry does: Snarky comment pulled out of context to support a view he doesn't actually argue, but allows someone to argue for him.

Your point was to rebut the claim you "simply dismissed" DePo as a failure. You didn't "simply dismiss" him. You argued that his tenure in LA was a failure. That's obvious, and everyone here knows it. As Steve said, getting fired is failing. It's certainly not succeeding. And he got fired for good reasons. Steve keeps posing the hypothetical (What if the firing is a mistake?), but it WASN'T a mistake, based on the performance of the team and the projectible performance. His bad deals outnumbered his good ones. Thus, the canning.
   112. Kurt Posted: June 29, 2006 at 03:17 AM (#2080587)
Your point was to rebut the claim you "simply dismissed" DePo as a failure.

No, what Steve said, and what Chris P quoted in #80, was:

"Simply dismissing DePodesta's LA tenure as a "failure"

Rightly or wrongly, that's what he did.
   113. JC in DC Posted: June 29, 2006 at 03:35 AM (#2080601)
Your point was to rebut the claim you "simply dismissed" DePo as a failure.

No, what Steve said, and what Chris P quoted in #80, was:

"Simply dismissing DePodesta's LA tenure as a "failure"

Rightly or wrongly, that's what he did.

Again, no. The emphasis on my post was on "argued." In argument, when someone is accused of "simply dismissing" something, the idea is that they failed to argue the point. Chris ARGUED that his tenure was a failure, he didn't "simply dismiss" it. He argued that the case is not made on the transactions (though I would say it's not made ALONE on the transactions), but on the GM's ability to get along w/his coach and w/ownership.

Again, he didn't "simply dismiss" it.
   114. Kurt Posted: June 29, 2006 at 03:46 AM (#2080612)
Fair enough.
   115. JC in DC Posted: June 29, 2006 at 04:02 AM (#2080620)
Gracias. I grant the emphasis was unclear.
   116. nomarisgod Posted: July 07, 2006 at 11:53 AM (#2090802)
hmm... the only person who really benefits from this is Navarro.Russell Martin isn't going anywhere.....he's clearly a front runner for NL rookie of the year right now.This is one of those "why the hell not " trades.No risk for Colletti and the Dodgers.Hendrickson sucks.....but what the hell....so does Seo! Same dog....different fleas. Maybe Hendrickson does a bit better Seo......so far he's as terrible as Seo ....just taller.Look for Colletti to bring in a big arm before the deadline.Colletti believes he has the best team in the NL WEST.....he's just short one starting pitcher.I agree with him
   117. Dr. Vaux Posted: July 07, 2006 at 12:01 PM (#2090804)
But they spent their expendable human currency on Hendrickson. Unless the guy is a serious Sabean student, in which case the Dodgers are doomed.
   118. JPWF13 Posted: July 12, 2006 at 08:00 PM (#2097003)
Toby Hall reiterated Monday that he wants to be traded from the Dodgers to a team where he can start.
"I don't want to play like that, to sit there and wait," Hall said. "That's not the type of player I am. How are they going to trade me to a team when they already have a catcher? I'm not going over there as an insurance policy." Hall is a free agent after this season, at which point he can see first hand how many teams are interested in him playing regularly. Jul. 12 - 9:36 am et
Source: St. Petersburg Times

So Hall thought he was going to start for LA???????
So, Hall's a malconent already, Hendrickson is at 4.91 with a Whip of 1.73

Navarro is starting for TB and Seo is at 2.57/1.14

I'd say that TB is winning so far
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JE (Jason)
for his generous support.