Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Florida Marlins

Signed 1B Wil Cordero to a 1-year, $600,000 contract.

It’s amazing how everyone runs to get Choi a platoon partner without any prior history of having significant trouble with them, let alone being as bad as early Ryan Klesko.  Hopefully, McKeon plays this smarter than Dusty Baker did and not use the lefty-masher’s success against lefties take Choi’s job against righties.

However, Cordero will hopefully be pretty harmless - nobody’s excited about his bat or supposed star potential anymore.

Cordero, Wil - 2004 ZIPS Projection
————————————————————————————-
AB   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB   BA   OBP   SLG
————————————————————————————-
366 46 100 23 0 12 46 40 73   1 .273 .351 .434

Dan Szymborski Posted: February 03, 2004 at 03:30 PM | 1 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Andrew Edwards Posted: January 15, 2003 at 01:28 AM (#562954)
Damn. I didn't even know he could do that.
   102. NTNgod Posted: January 15, 2003 at 01:39 AM (#562955)
Well, we should know eventually how the other GMs take this.

If we see a headline like this in the coming weeks, it would be a tipoff :) :

March 3, 2003 --
   103. Snowboy Posted: January 16, 2003 at 09:32 AM (#563449)
"Unidentified Marlin fan" is going have to buy more than 15,000 tickets on last day to catch Expos this year.
   104. bob mong Posted: January 23, 2003 at 12:06 AM (#564026)
Ivan may have made a bad decision here, though it may have been his only option: he is going from the best hitters' park in the AL to a pitchers' park - so, most likely, his unadjusted numbers are going to take a hit even if he is healthy and as productive as he has always been. Which means his big, multi-year payoff may never come.

Looks good for the Marlins, disregarding the money for a second: they get an extremely productive catcher, even if only for half a season, that is still better than his replacement for a whole season.
   105. User unknown in local recipient table (Craig B) Posted: January 23, 2003 at 12:24 AM (#564029)
It's nice to see the Marlins actually reaching out to their fan base. With all their young pitching, a catcher with a very good defensive reputation seems a good fit... if you ignore the routine slanders about Pudge's calling being too fastball-heavy with runners on.

Rodriguez becomes the best hitter on the Marlins - at least, right there with Derrek Lee. For one year, it makes sense if they have the money.
   106. MM1f Posted: January 23, 2003 at 12:52 AM (#564036)
10 mil???

Man, catcher wasn't their biggest question mark was it?

Redmond hit for avg. and got on base and I liked what I saw of Castro in Sept.
   107. Curtis Posted: January 23, 2003 at 01:26 AM (#564042)
Someone mentioned the appeal of acquiring a big name free agent to draw fans, and I think that's the reasoning. They acquired a famous Latino player in a highly Hispanic area, I would bet that they'll have him as the poster boy for that team, so he ought to bring in some fans. It's too bad he can't bring in a new owner though.
   108. bhoov Posted: January 23, 2003 at 02:05 AM (#564044)
They are only paying him $3 million this year and the rest is deferred over the next 3 years with no interest. So the present day value of this is much less.
   109. Mike Piazza Posted: January 23, 2003 at 04:13 AM (#564054)
"Let's remember that when he's playing he a .300 AVG, 25 HR, 90 type of hitter, second best hitting catcher right behind Mike Piazza who loses more time due to injury, but nobody seems to worry about him."

I've averaged 138 games played over the last four years; Rodriguez has averaged only 114. He hasn't played more than 111 games in the last three years. Over the last three years, I've averaged 137 games per season; he's averaged 103. And that's despite the fact that he's had the advantage of being able to play DH from time to time.

Also, I'm not so sure he's "right behind" me in hitting.
   110. User unknown in local recipient table (Craig B) Posted: January 23, 2003 at 04:56 AM (#564055)
Mike, don't get your panties in a twist now. I think Irabusan just meant that I-Rod was clearly the scond0best hitting catcher and nobody was ahead of him. "Right behind" in that sense.
   111. User unknown in local recipient table (Craig B) Posted: January 23, 2003 at 03:30 PM (#564064)
if Pudge does well in 2003 and the Marlins fail to make the playoffs.. it was all worthless

Yeah... winning baseball games is a worthless, useless endeavour.
   112. Bill Posted: January 23, 2003 at 08:51 PM (#564073)
U, Milt, what's up in that accounting department of yours? The number is between 6 and 10 since the "10" is aggregate payments, many of them deferred with no interest,
   113. ColonelTom Posted: March 17, 2003 at 10:08 PM (#563463)
Encarnacion's signing isn't really that bad. What is bad is that Juan Pierre and either Todd Hollandsworth or "former USC football star" Al Martin will likely be filling the other two outfield spots. If they had retained Millar, they could have had Millar, Encarnacion, and Abraham Nunez in the outfield, with Hollandsworth as the primary backup. That's a major-league outfield.

FYI, their triple-A outfield could be Nunez, Chad Allen, and either Mike Smith or Brian Banks. Anyone want to take bets on whether that group could out-hit their major-league counterparts?
   114. Shredder Posted: March 19, 2003 at 08:44 PM (#563464)
The problem with signing Encarnacion in an attempt to build a speed/pitching/defense type team is that "defense" is an important part of that. Juan's defense, quite frankly, sucks.
   115. Brian Posted: March 24, 2003 at 10:02 PM (#563145)
I've noticed a lot of Paul Kilgus bashing on this thread. Guess it's mostly out of fun. I lived around the corner from Paul in Bowling Green, KY. We played sandlot ball together and against each other in organized Little League baseball.

Paul and I got reaquainted in our adult years when he pitched for the Okla. City 89ers (Ranger AAA team) and I lived in Okla. City.

Paul is just one of the most genuine people you'd ever want to meet. He has never forgotten his roots or his friends.

I hope you get a chance to meet him in person sometime. He's a great guy.
   116. Brian Posted: March 24, 2003 at 10:05 PM (#563146)
I've noticed a lot of Paul Kilgus bashing on this thread. Guess it's mostly out of fun. I lived around the corner from Paul in Bowling Green, KY. We played sandlot ball together and against each other in organized Little League baseball.

Paul and I got reaquainted in our adult years when he pitched for the Okla. City 89ers (Ranger AAA team) and I lived in Okla. City.

Paul is just one of the most genuine people you'd ever want to meet. He has never forgotten his roots or his friends.

I hope you get a chance to meet him in person sometime. He's a great guy.
   117. ColonelTom Posted: April 03, 2003 at 06:11 PM (#563072)
Where's Randal when you need him?
   118. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: May 12, 2003 at 06:46 PM (#565906)
McKeon will be 73 in November. Bobby Valentine will be an ass for the rest of his life.
   119. Cris E Posted: May 12, 2003 at 08:34 PM (#565908)
From ESPN:

Torborg said he may return to broadcasting but probably won't manage again.

"I think we officially retired Saturday night," he said.
   120. jwb Posted: May 13, 2003 at 04:11 PM (#565914)
Damn! Gene Rayburn died in Gloucester, Mass where my family is from. . .
   121. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: May 14, 2003 at 04:51 PM (#565917)
You're a Gloucesterman, jwb? I was married in Rockport, so all the alcohol came from Gloucester.
   122. Bart Posted: May 19, 2003 at 05:48 PM (#565926)
I think that instead of Portland, you mean Albuquerque. Portland, Oregon is the Padres affiliate and Portland, Maine is a Red Sox affiliate.
   123. Dan Szymborski Posted: May 19, 2003 at 06:33 PM (#565927)
Whoops, got my brain crossed. Even if I hadn't noticed that Portland had moved on (and was AA), I had to physically click on the Isotopes to check on Allen's minor leauge stats for this year!
   124. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 05, 2003 at 04:06 PM (#566023)
I've always liked Nunez, though I can't imagine why.
   125. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 05, 2003 at 04:07 PM (#566024)
Oh, and you also forgot his stint as a sidearmer, Dan.
   126. The Artist Posted: June 05, 2003 at 06:32 PM (#566025)
hey, can't we get a transaction for Giants fan to celebrate Ruben Riviera's release ?
   127. The Artist Posted: June 05, 2003 at 06:33 PM (#566026)
that would of course be fans..., not just me...
   128. Darren Posted: July 12, 2003 at 03:43 AM (#566467)
This trade is just brutal. As you note, Gonzalez does not need to be successful at AAA yet to be a very good prospect. He's 21 this year, and I think it would do him some good to really have some sustained success at a level right now.

Smith looks like he could be a averagish player or more if things break right. Same for Snare.

I wonder if they'll throw Snare in the rotation to see if he sticks.
   129. Andrew Edwards Posted: July 12, 2003 at 03:52 AM (#566468)
Theft, theft, theft. Not that I have any idea where the Rangers are going to put Gonzalez, but theft.

Is this the first leg of another deal that involves a Rangers hitting prospect going somewhere else?
   130. Noffs Posted: July 12, 2003 at 04:19 AM (#566469)
Theft's a good call. Even if they pick up the salary. This is a sad attempt at "contending" by the Marlins, and morgaging the future. Poor.
   131. Darren Posted: July 12, 2003 at 04:45 AM (#566470)
Would this trade have still been a coup for Texas if it only included Gonzalez? I'd say yes.
   132. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: July 12, 2003 at 06:21 AM (#566472)
Obviously "Miami" isn't a hit for Will Smith anymore
   133. Ronnie Dobbs Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:10 AM (#566475)
8-ball,

not if its lowell and urbina, or penny and urbina, or loria and urbina, or whomever.

obviously for claussen + ?

i dont know for sure, but it seemed to me that gonzalez's stock has been slipping steadily since his draft year, or maybe the year after. which after being #1 still means hes probably quite good.

j
   134. Dudefella Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:29 AM (#566476)
How has the "move Texeira to the outfield" project been going, does anyone know? If his range is decent, Texeira in a corner, Gonzalez at 1st, Blalock at 3rd would be a pretty nice little troika.
   135. I Love LA (OFF) Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:31 AM (#566477)
Thats exactly why I want Armando shipped out before the Marlins finally wake up, inevitably lose and decide to put Urbina in the market again (A la Expos last year).
   136. True Blue n/k/a "DeJesusFreak" Posted: July 12, 2003 at 01:55 PM (#566480)
Going into this year, Gonzalez was the #3 propect, Smith #10.

As for Gonzalez's struggles in Albuquerque, BA writes that "[h]e struggled . . . in large part the result of surgery to repair torn cartilage in his wrist last December, [but] was hitting .307-1-16 in 36 games at Double-A Carolina before the trade, [is] still very young for that level, and has been compared to a young Rafael Palmeiro for his line-drive stroke and fielding prowess," though his power hasn't developed yet.
   137. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 12, 2003 at 03:07 PM (#566481)
I think Will Smith has also had wrist problems this year. Great deal for Texas, sucky deal for Florida.
   138. Ziggy Posted: July 12, 2003 at 03:16 PM (#566482)
Fanball says that UUU is going to be a set up man in florida. Won't even be taking over the closer's role. I must admit I'm quite confused about why the marlins would want to do this.
   139. Scott Posted: July 12, 2003 at 03:32 PM (#566483)
If you want to be a cynic, U is a relatively cheap way for the Marlins to say to the fans "look, we added a star - the AL saves leader! we're making a run for it!" His annual salary is $6m; he has just under half of that left to be paid (maybe $2.8m?); and the Rangers are picking up part of it. If the Marlins are paying $1.4m for the rest of U2003, maybe they figure that's a reasonable price to pay to convince everyone they're in a pennant race.
   140. Mike Emeigh Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:25 PM (#566493)
I agree with the general consensus that this deal is a long-term steal for the Rangers. I've seen all three players that the Marlins gave up on a number of occasions this year, and every one of them is IMO better than 50-50 to have a good major league career. The scary thing is that Gonzalez might be the player who is "least" likely to make waves in the majors.

Gonzalez reminds me a lot more of Mark Grace than of Rafael Palmeiro. He has a smooth stroke and takes a lot of pitches the other way; rarely does he turn on a ball and drive it. I think he's much more likely to be a high average/OBP guy who hits 15-20 HRs a season than he is to develop 30-35 HR power as did Palmeiro.

Smith reminds me a lot of Tony Gwynn in his approach at the plate. He attacks the ball with a vengenace, and can deliver line drives to any part of the park - he hits almost everything hard, and doesn't miss very often. I don't think he'll be as good as Gwynn was, but that's the type of hitter that I think he's likely to be.

Snare doesn't have a plus fastball, but his offspeed and (especially) his breaking stuff is outstanding, and he's demonstrated the ability to hold the other team down when he doesn't have his best stuff. On the 4th of July he faced Orlando, and was falling behind hitters all night, missing a lot with his curve, and throwing a lot of pitches. Yet he allowed only five hits, fanned eight, didn't walk anyone - and lost 1-0 on a solo HR in the 7th, his last inning. I didn't have a pitch count, but I'd guess he was around 120 pitches. I don't think he's a front-of-the-rotation guy, but I think he'll be a solid #3-#4 starter for years to come.

-- MWE
   141. Mike Emeigh Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:29 PM (#566494)
Smith did break the hamate bone in his hand earlier this year, and missed about a month and a half. All of the games I saw him, with the exception of one, were after the injury, and he was smoking the ball each time, so I suspect he's pretty well healed.

-- MWE
   142. David E Posted: July 13, 2003 at 03:21 AM (#566495)
I would be very surprised if the Marlins (or whoever UUU ends the season with) didn't offer him arbitration. His 2003 salary is only 4.5 Million, which means that the Marlins could offer ~4 Million to him. People around here may agree that he's overrated, but he was considered basically the best reliever on the trade market this season, so I'd have to believe that he could get a multi-year deal, or at least a one-year deal worth more than 4 a year.
   143. Jason Posted: July 13, 2003 at 03:51 AM (#566496)
From what I've read, it seems the Marlins were almost desperate to trade Gonzalez. Clearly they feel Jason Stokes is the long term answer at first base. This begs the question of why were the Marlins so desperate to make a trade? A fair number of teams would keep their depth until such a time as they received fair market value. The only fair-hearted conclusion is that the Marlins felt that Gonzalez' value was at his highest now, that he was never going to be a major league quality player. Whether this assessment is true remains to be seen, as on the surface it seems they did not get good value for him.

The darker side of this is that Jeffrey Loria is up to his old Angel of Death antics. Remember Loria and Co. signed Lee Stevens and Graeme Lloyd in 2000, while trading for Hideki Irabu in an attempt to "invest in the team to win now" at the cost of Ted Lilly and Brad Fullmer - superior players all around. This was followed by a couple of losing seasons in which Loria basically packed it in, saying "Well, we tried and received no support, so what's the use in trying?"

Personally, I doubt this is the case, preferring to think that it's merely a misguided effort to shore up a team whose greatest perceived weakness is it's bully. But, the food for thought is there, and it's worth noting that the man in charge has a history of this sort of thing.
   144. Darren Posted: July 13, 2003 at 03:50 PM (#566500)
I'm not so sure they'd lose. Urbina, if used in middle relief the rest of the year, will not break 30 saves and has an ERA over 4, which will likely go up when he loses his mind pitching middle relief. (Is it based on 3 year comps or can do they weight the most recent year more heavily.) And "even if he lost, he'd get $6 mil?" Isn't it either the club's number or the player's number? So wouldn't he get $4 mil. if he lost?

Besides which, I'd expect Urbina to turn down arbitration if the Marlins told him they wanted to continue to use him in middle relief.
   145. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 13, 2003 at 04:00 PM (#566501)
Urbina had 40 saves last year. There's no way an arbitrator's going to say he's only worth $4M a season.
   146. Walt Davis Posted: July 13, 2003 at 05:08 PM (#566502)
Whether to offer Urbina arbitration or not is a tough call. He was an FA last offseason, with no compensation picks attached, and the best he could do was a 1-year, $4.5 M contract. By any measure but the magical save column, he's been worse this year than last -- though doing so in a lower-profile market, so his reputation isn't as dinged up this year. Still, hard to see why he'd do better than that on the open market this year, especially if the signing team will lose a draft pick or two.

On the other hand, his comps will be people like Foulke, Isringhausen, Koch, etc and they all make $6 M or more. He does have a substantially higher ERA than those guys which will be an argument that he deserves less money.

I suppose I'd offer it to him. Sunk costs or no, I'd hate to end up having traded 3 prospects and end up with nothing. If he accepts arbitration and wins a $7.5 M award, then I might well cut him and eat the 1/3 salary (or whatever that amount is). If he ends up at 6, I hold my nose and pay him all year.
   147. Noffs Posted: July 15, 2003 at 04:45 AM (#566507)
Urbina's not really good at all, he's just got those magical saves. I also read that the Mets were pondering a similar package for Benitez, but were worried about Gonzalez's health problems. They're kind of dumb. Considering that they could have gotten Herges or someone for 1/4 the price, I don't like this trade at all for the Marlins. Especially if they risk overpaying him next year when they already have 5 FAs and 15 arbi-eligibles.

Walt, what's that about only paying 1/3 of the salary if you cut him by a certain time? Is that new? Is that what happened to Herges this year?
   148. NTNgod Posted: July 15, 2003 at 05:31 AM (#566508)
what's that about only paying 1/3 of the salary if you cut him by a certain time?

Arbitration awards are non-guaranteed contracts.
   149. MM1f Posted: July 16, 2003 at 01:33 AM (#566510)
"Urbina's not really good at all, he's just got those magical saves."

And something like 630 saves in 530 career innings or something like that. Not to shabby

What's scary is that BA says the Marlins offered the Mets a similar package for Benitez, and they turned it down!
   150. MM1f Posted: July 16, 2003 at 01:34 AM (#566511)
"And something like 630 saves in 530 career innings or something like that. Not to shabby"

Sorry, meant to say K's instead of saves.
   151. Greg Franklin Posted: August 26, 2003 at 09:09 AM (#567574)
Cool it, you two. My penny-ante analysis of youse guys' transactions:

"Mostly harmless."

Haa, that's essentially what the Oracle said about Helling. Wait till tomorrow when the Giles deal goes down: there you'll see one sexy analysis, based on the names bandied about.
   152. Mike Piazza Posted: August 26, 2003 at 09:41 AM (#567575)
Who can I blow around here?
   153. Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute Posted: August 26, 2003 at 05:09 PM (#567579)
Looks like the main difference here is that Kendall is out of the trade, and the Padres are giving up more. Personally, as a Padres fan, I would rather see the Giles + Kendall + $$$ for Nady + Perez + minorleaguer. Not only does it cost the Padres less, but they get Kendall, who isn't great, but he is way better than anything that will be catching otherwise. I don't mind giving up Nady (especially since it is Giles coming over), but Perez hurts. He's gonna be awesome, barring injury of course.
   154. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: August 26, 2003 at 05:58 PM (#567580)
A SD paper says it's Giles for Perez, Bay, and Cory Stewart.
   155. NTNgod Posted: November 26, 2003 at 02:14 AM (#568817)
Jason Stokes can't be happy acquiring Choi....
   156. NTNgod Posted: November 26, 2003 at 02:21 AM (#568819)
Because he won't be calling Pro Player Stadium home any longer?
   157. NTNgod Posted: November 26, 2003 at 03:01 AM (#568822)
Stokes is still a'ways off.

Yeah, but he should be ready sooner than the next 5 years, which is how long Choi could theoretically block him :)
   158. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 26, 2003 at 03:14 AM (#568823)
Lee has been a dramatically better hitter outside of Pro Player, which is about what you'd expect for a guy who likes the long ball.
   159. jeff angus Posted: November 26, 2003 at 03:05 PM (#568831)
Agree with Tom, and that guy Tom. And Tom. Cubs starting lineup strength was already listing in the direction of right-eousness, and clearly 1st base is a position where there is an abundance of highly-functional left-handed hitters. And unless they thought Choi was already proven a bust, one could argue they already had the guy on the roster to balance that.

OTOH, Lee's value is not purely hitting. He seems to be a good baserunner, and the numbers I've seen make him look like a good defender. I think he has to get a little credit to offset in part what looks to markp and to me like improbable projections.
   160. MM1f Posted: November 27, 2003 at 05:00 AM (#568838)
"If Stokes turns out to be all that, he'll find a place to play."

IF.
   161. Brian K. Posted: November 27, 2003 at 12:02 PM (#568839)
I think everyone is way to high on Choi. Everyone shitted on Baker for not playing him more, the fact is, he just didnt get it done. Kudos to the Cubs for getting a player, and rid of potential.
   162. Walt Davis Posted: November 30, 2003 at 06:32 AM (#568947)
Ick.

In isolation, it's maybe OK. But with Cabrera around, why tie up an OK 3B like Lowell for 4 years (and for Erstad money!! :-)

Even in isolation, I'm less optimistic about this than the Oracle. I'd say it's not that good a bet that Lowell will be a solid 3B for the next 4-5 years. 3B's seem to not age very well and Lowell will be 30 at the start of this deal. Hardly a death sentence, but I'd bet he's likely to be a league average hitter by 2005-2006, and that's not an $8 M 3B.
   163. Tony B Posted: November 30, 2003 at 06:56 AM (#568948)
"Even in isolation, I'm less optimistic about this than the Oracle. I'd say it's not that good a bet that Lowell will be a solid 3B for the next 4-5 years. 3B's seem to not age very well and Lowell will be 30 at the start of this deal. Hardly a death sentence, but I'd bet he's likely to be a league average hitter by 2005-2006, and that's not an $8 M 3B."

If Choi doesn't pan out at first, they can always move Lowell there. Conine won't be around forever.
   164. Ziggy Posted: November 30, 2003 at 05:36 PM (#568949)
Third is a very thin position lately. If the ZiPS projection is right then the Marlins have done well for themselves. Certainly having Cabrera around changes the equation somewhat, but having a decent 3B on the roster is always a good thing. The smartest thing to do, of course, would have been to hold off on this contract and see if Pudge will re-up. If that happens then you show Lowell you're intent on winning, maybe he'll take a smaller deal, maybe take some of it deffered. I agree with Tony that the way to go here is get rid of Conine as soon as possible, and then plug Lowell into 1B and Cabrera into third.
   165. Walt Davis Posted: December 01, 2003 at 10:20 PM (#568952)
WARNING! WARNING! EXTREMELY CRUDE 'ANALYSIS' AHEAD!

it's not like we're talking about the current-vintage Jeff Cirillo or Vinny Castilla here.

But we might be in a year or two:

Lowell -- Castilla -- Cirillo (age & OPS+)
   166. I Love LA (OFF) Posted: December 03, 2003 at 04:14 AM (#568998)
Vidrio, Kent, Giles are the elite with Loretta, Durham and Castillo coming after them.

There aren't many good 2b in the majors. Alfonzo and Biggio moved positions, Alomar fell off a cliff, who else is there?
   167. NTNgod Posted: December 03, 2003 at 07:17 AM (#569001)
Fernando, you must have leg strength approaching that of Mark Prior by this point, too.
   168. Barry Bonds Posted: December 03, 2003 at 10:02 AM (#569002)
bases on balls are sacreligious to me and i find them offensive

Yeah, Dusty really hates players that take walks.
   169. Cris E Posted: December 03, 2003 at 04:51 PM (#568953)
Of course, if the whole repeating thing falls on its face, the stadium drive stalls and Loria calls off the whole thing he could end up in NY or LA in a year or three.
   170. Walt Davis Posted: December 03, 2003 at 06:31 PM (#569007)
Yeah, Dusty really hates players that take walks.

Cubs 2002 walk rates vs. 2003 walk rates:

Returning Cubs

Sosa: .155 vs .105
   171. MM1f Posted: December 06, 2003 at 02:04 AM (#569294)
One of my favorite players...
   172. Repoz Posted: December 06, 2003 at 04:51 AM (#569306)
There are 3 givens in life ( outside of Jack )...

1-The "Captain Beyond" 3D cover is tough to find in M condition.

2-The fireman who reads the meters on the rig is usually drunk.

3-Lenny Harris will fool a GM.
   173. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 06, 2003 at 04:57 AM (#569307)
Lest anybody think he's gotten better with age, here's Harris's line as a PH the last three years:

51 for 194, 8 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 18 BB, 15 K

Quick and dirty rate stats: .263 BA, .325 OBP, .330 SLG. At least he's consistent.
   174. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: December 06, 2003 at 05:23 AM (#569308)
It's nice that they let Lenny touch the trophy.
   175. Andere Richtingen Posted: December 06, 2003 at 02:21 PM (#569310)
At least it keeps him out of Dusty Baker's hands! Didn't the Cubs sign him to a minor league contract last year?

Harris was apparently contemplating retirement prior to last year, and how his woeful performance last year convinced him not to do so this year, I have no idea.
   176. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 06, 2003 at 09:38 PM (#569312)
Well, except for the fact that Tasker was tough and useful while Harris is injury-prone and useless, that's a great comparison.
   177. Cferejohn Posted: December 09, 2003 at 09:44 PM (#569317)
I always push for Lenny's football equivalent, Steve Tasker, to make the Hall of Fame.

That would work better if Harris was like a 280/360/500 player when he pinch hit (but, mysteriously always completely tanked whenever given a full-time job). Lenny Harris is like a special teams player who basically sucks.
   178. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 22, 2003 at 09:39 PM (#570685)
MEMO TO THE MARLINS...

Mazel Tov!
   179. Dan Szymborski Posted: February 15, 2004 at 02:04 AM (#572300)
Lots of people have went to Wrigley Field during the first half of the season, before Choi got thonked. And he played better than Cordero generally does.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.