Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Milwaukee Brewers

Signed IF Keith Ginter to a 3-year, $1.925 million contract.

Good deal on a talent basis as Ginter is a solid B+ second baseman despite practically no media attention.  The problem for the Brewers is with Spivey and Weeks, Ginter’s either going to have to respond well to being a supertility player a la Tony Phillips or sit around and wait for a trade to somewhere he can play.

Dan Szymborski Posted: March 11, 2004 at 01:22 PM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Jason Posted: December 08, 2003 at 11:20 PM (#569449)
Just commenting to remind everyone someone cares about the Brewers
   102. Cferejohn Posted: December 09, 2003 at 10:40 PM (#569452)
I've always liked Burba since he was in SF. I remember watching him pitch on TV once and my mom came in and Burba was doing that thing where he stands on the mound and glares at the batter while rubbing the ball between his hands. Her response: "ugh! what an arrogant man!".
   103. Jason Posted: March 11, 2004 at 04:25 PM (#572846)
I don't think it's unreasonable to think Ginter will do well as a utility guy. It's basically what he did last year and the team is concious of getting him ABs so while he might be under utilized he'll do alright as a fairly potent bat off the bench for a middle IF
   104. Jason Posted: March 11, 2004 at 09:15 PM (#572849)
The Jenkins deal is certainly a lot riskier for the Brewers than the Ginter deal. Keith is hardly a fringe guy in my opinion his bat is potent enough to let him start for a large number of teams. Paying 2 million over 3 years for a superior bench player is cheaper than signing veteran stop gaps of inferior quality each year so I see almost no risk for the Brewers
   105. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: March 12, 2004 at 09:53 AM (#572851)
Considering that Ginter figures to be the best bat in that Brewers lineup next year (I'm assuming Jenkins misses a fair amount of time again), $650k a year is a great deal.
   106. Shiny Beast Posted: March 12, 2004 at 08:27 PM (#572852)
I guess the Ginter in RF thing is no more? I had fantasized about a Ginter/Grieve platoon in RF in '04, assuming Grieve stays healthy and bounces back, and totally, and I mean totally, disregarding defense. I assume this is now not a possibility.

Either way, I like Ginter. I don't suppose Franklin/Ginter for Loretta will rank with Garcia/Guillen/Halama for Unit in Houston as far as giving up talent for a pennant stretch guy who was gone by that offseason, but Ginter at least seems to be a bit of a payoff for the Brewers now.
   107. Greg Franklin Posted: March 18, 2004 at 06:44 AM (#572855)
From MLB.com

"And" Mike Crudale released

That career ERA must have been just too low for the Brew Crew.
   108. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 19, 2004 at 04:57 AM (#572857)
Latest hot rumor has Ginter coming to Pittsburgh for unspecified pitching.
   109. Bunny Vincennes Posted: April 28, 2008 at 04:05 PM (#2761359)
Thank you for the birthday wishes. My wife gave me a very nice shirt and wallet, both monogrammed. I thought it was overkill until she told me it's for when I become senile and the nurses need to know what's mine.

Interestingly, early on in our relationship Jill asked me if the proliferation of monogramming in my apartment was for the purpose of determining where I had woken up. Its funny now. Less so then.
   110. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: April 28, 2008 at 04:08 PM (#2761363)
That was weird. Did you intentionally post to a random old thread, or is there some sort of database error?
   111. The Keith Law Blog Blah Blah (battlekow) Posted: April 28, 2008 at 04:49 PM (#2761400)
At least it was a thread about the Brewers; he was quoting HW from the Brewers season preview.
   112. Paul The Paranoid Android Posted: April 28, 2008 at 07:23 PM (#2761611)
Went to the Brewers/Marlins game last Friday, and I can't help but think that Yost is going to torpedo this team. He (with a huge assist from "More Steroids Please" Mota) lost that game for the Brewers. It was aggrivating to watch, and the Brewers aren't even my main rooting interest.
   113. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: April 28, 2008 at 07:36 PM (#2761627)
Spivey's back in Wisconsin, but he's in Madison now.
   114. The Keith Law Blog Blah Blah (battlekow) Posted: April 28, 2008 at 07:41 PM (#2761634)
If you thought Friday's game was aggravating, you should have seen yesterday's. Dios mio! Four-and-a-quarter hours of sheer exasperation.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.