Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Sunday, April 04, 2004

New York Mets

Acquired C Chris Widger and IF Wilson Delgado from the St. Louis Cardinals for OF Roger Cedeno.

Widger and Delgado have essentially no shot to make the Mets’ squad - this trade is solely about the Mets wanting to get rid of Cedeno.  Cedeno would have come in handy for the Cards last year, which says a lot more about the outfield depth at Busch than anything Cedeno can do.

Dan Szymborski Posted: April 04, 2004 at 03:01 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Ben Posted: March 31, 2004 at 08:24 AM (#573201)
Ludwick is just about the only righthanded power worth his weight in the organization. He isn't tradebait, at least not now.

Also, why would you keep Broussard over Hafner as a DH? Broussard is the better defender. I can't see either of them in the outfield, not with our outfield depth and their lack of speed.
   202. PanRains Posted: March 31, 2004 at 08:25 PM (#573202)
First of all, I?d like to echo Bernal?s statement that Shapiro was able to not only find a taker for Gutierrez but one who was willing to pick up a non-negligible portion of his salary. With 2004 salary and 2005 buyout, Gutierrez is scheduled to make $4.75 M; the Plain Dealer reported that the Indians picked up $3.65 M while the Lake County News Herald reported $3.5 M. Either way, the Tribe gets out of $1+ M of commitment; also, I have seen that Wickman will have 80 % of his salary paid by insurance while he?s on the DL (one of the reasons the Tribe was looking at Urbina) so payroll wise the Indians should be about where they had budgeted ? of course, they don?t have the services of Bob Wickman for 3+ months, so it?s not all rosy. My hope (okay, my wish) is that Wick comes back in June, shows he?s healthy and can pitch effectively, and the Tribe is able to spin him off to a contender come July or August.

WRT the outfield, Escobar and Ludwick both bat righthanded, Broussard, Hafner, Gerut and Sizemore are lefties, and Bradley and Crisp are switchitters. FWIW, Lawton and most of the OF prospects in the minors (Aubrey, Jason Cooper, Brad Snyder, and Nathan Panther) bat lefthanded. While Wedge hasn?t exhibited an eagerness to embrace platooning, I have read some things this winter that made me think he was willing to consider the concept. I picture the OF/1B/DH situation like this for Opening Day 2005 (after Lawton is traded):

LF Gerut
   203. I Love LA (OFF) Posted: March 31, 2004 at 09:25 PM (#573203)
Maybe the Cleveland papers aren't taking into account his buyout because according to the Daily News (homepage), the Mets are only responsible for only $600,000 of the 4.75 million owed to Gutierrez.
   204. Rouglas Odor Eaters Posted: April 01, 2004 at 02:27 AM (#573204)
Robertson to the Tribe for Luke Scott and the right to retain Taveras. Scott might turn into Jason Lane lite. Taveras could pinch run right now, and knows what he's doing on base, but needs to figure how to steal first.

Zips looks about right for Jer-o-mee. It really doesn't like Lee, surprised at D'Amico and Durbin's projections. Robertson'll likely be the first man up from Buffalo is Stanford struggles.
   205. Rouglas Odor Eaters Posted: April 01, 2004 at 06:10 AM (#573206)
I think future considerations is just a way of saying that the teams agree later on player OR cash, instead of "PTBNL" or "cash considerations".
   206. Devin has a deep burning passion for fuzzy socks Posted: April 04, 2004 at 03:22 AM (#573284)
Thump...thump...thump.

That's me doing my happy dance.

More seriously, who's the fifth OF? You need to have someone to backup CF, and I don't think they're going to have Jeff Duncan sit on the bench. I guess they can use McEwing there, he can hit poorly at lots of positions. Someone's making the roster now, I just have no idea who. I guess it's Raul Gonzalez if they can't think of anything more original.
   207. Sam M. Posted: April 04, 2004 at 03:55 AM (#573285)
Eric Valent, for now, appears to be the fifth outfielder (Cameron, Floyd, Garcia, Spencer).

I am so curious what Cardinal fans think of this trade. I mean, I'm pretty sure I know what they're going to think by June. But if they see him as an upgrade, that speaks volumes about their outfield problems.
   208. pyrite Posted: April 04, 2004 at 03:57 AM (#573289)
Fun transaction day. Check this one out:

<i>Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Acquired infielder-outfielder Jason
   209. pyrite Posted: April 04, 2004 at 04:00 AM (#573290)
Goodness. The hits keep coming:

<i>Seattle Mariners - Acquired infielder Jolbert Cabrera from
   210. scott Posted: April 04, 2004 at 04:28 AM (#573293)
how much of the salary do the mets have to eat? this was a great salary dump if they don't have to pay more than a mil or two a year.
   211. Portia Stanke Posted: April 04, 2004 at 04:29 AM (#573294)
As long as Cedeno is used as a 4th OF, I have no problem with the trade. The issue here is that La Russa loves to take players like Marrero or Paquette and hand them 400 ABs a season, which we simply cannot afford to do with someone as inept as Roger.
   212. I Love LA (OFF) Posted: April 04, 2004 at 04:35 AM (#573295)
The Mets are paying around 8 million of Roger's salary. I guess this is a no-risk deal for the Cardinals, so it might work for them. Roger is a nice guy, and i rooted hard for him, but after countless base-running blunders, horrific defense, and little production at the plate, i'm glad he's gone.
   213. Joshemy Posted: April 04, 2004 at 04:58 AM (#573298)
Jeremy- That was Bill Bavasi picking up Cabrera... that's all you need to know.

And those thoughts of McEwing as the backup CF are killing me. Parying for good health from Cameron.
   214. I Love LA (OFF) Posted: April 04, 2004 at 05:02 AM (#573299)
Valent is going to be the backup CF. Well that is until Milton Bradley gets here (yes i know...Wishful thinking).
   215. Dr. Vaux Posted: April 04, 2004 at 05:08 AM (#573300)
I wonder if he'll spin those prospects for Bradley; maybe with one of the outfielders he just got... I think Duchscherer and something from the A's would do it, but a salary would have to be included-- maybe Kotsay?
   216. rich Posted: April 04, 2004 at 09:58 AM (#573303)
I wrote this about Valent in the blog last decemeber... before I'd seen how bad his year at AAA was in 2003. But anyway:

Yesterday the Mets tabbed outfielder Eric Valent in the Minor League section of the Rule V draft. I?m not writing about this because of my new found Metslust, I?m writing about it because Valent is another of the small group of players I?ve watched since he was drafted. Why?

A couple of days ago I talked about JD Drew. The Phillies drafted him, tried to sign him, failed to sign him, despite being told from the beginning he wouldn?t sign with them. So next year, as compensation, they got an extra pick at the end of the first round. Who did they draft? Eric Valent.

At the time Valent was seen to have a fair amount of potential, if not in the class of Pat Burrell who the Phillies took earlier that round.

Things worked out ok for Valent, to an extent. Here are his minor league stats:

Year Lg. Age Org. Avg G AB HR BB SO SLG
   217. KJOK Posted: April 04, 2004 at 05:08 PM (#573308)
Well, the Cardinals had to have SOMEONE has the RH part of the platoon with Ray Lankford in LF, and if all the Cards had to give up is 2 non-prospect AAA level players plus pay Cedeno $500k, that's not too bad.
   218. scott Posted: April 04, 2004 at 09:44 PM (#573310)
ugh. 9m? i mighta almost kept him.
   219. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: April 05, 2004 at 03:16 PM (#573312)
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaalelujah!
   220. AMcK75 Posted: April 06, 2004 at 04:45 PM (#573313)
It was nice to see the Cards fans boo Cedeno yesterday (at opening day, yeah, back at work today, boo) after his three attempted swings in his PH appearance. Perhaps we don't value speed over other skills as much anymore.
   221. I Love LA (OFF) Posted: April 09, 2004 at 04:30 AM (#573316)
Erickson on the DL, Seo recalled.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jim Wisinski
for his generous support.