Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

San Diego Padres

Released C-OF Tom Wilson and P Kevin Walker.

Biff will find another job as his recent few years have given him that “Proven Major League Catcher Man” that took him a decade to earn (and rightfully so).  The Padres have decided to go with Miggy Ojeda in backing up Hernandez.

Dan Szymborski Posted: March 30, 2004 at 03:35 PM | 1 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   101. Mike Posted: November 16, 2002 at 03:50 AM (#559421)
The Tigers had better rethink having Munson or Inge catch. This is unreal. I am waiting for the Padres to "Witasick" him into a stud prospect.
   102. John Posted: November 16, 2002 at 08:14 AM (#559424)
Rivera will do well for SD. He was screwed in Detroit because as a RH pull hitter Comerica took away his best asset, power (even a solid RH player like Juan Gonzalez looked bad in that park). It might be a bad trade for Detroit, but Rivera wasn't much use to them unless they used him exclusively on the road to pump up his trade value next season.
   103. John Posted: November 18, 2002 at 01:14 AM (#559427)
Rivera won't be any worse than Jim Leyritz behind the plate. I expect he'll have the same type of career too. Start off as a good hitting catcher-type who can't throw and eventually become a 1B/3B/C guy who you keep around so you can pinch hit for the other catchers.

Kingsale is worse than Torres and Lombard as a CF option and isn't much better than Bocachica honestly. I don't see any value here cause Inge was more of a hole at C than Lombard was in CF.
   104. Buddha Posted: November 18, 2002 at 03:50 AM (#559428)
Tim D: I haven't seen you since 49-3. Too bad about Bobby Williams, UM fans are in mourning, just like the day Cooper was fired.

How is Kingsale worse than Torres? Torres couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag, at least Kingsale hit .280 in the majors. Out of Torres, Lombard and Bocachica, none of them has done too much in the majors. The only one who has shown anything with the bat is Lombard and he showed last season that he can't play centerfield.

Torres is just another Brian Hunter.

What is troublesome about this trade is that this makes Inge the catcher for next season. He was supposed to be so good defensively but was horrible last season. Rivera was just as good. AND Inge has shown a propensity to get hurt more than any ability to hit the ball.

There is no way Munson goes back to playing catcher, they're moving him to third. Fick seems destined to play RF (until he's traded) and the only other catcher of any note they have is St. Pierre who is currently lighting up the AFL at a .188 clip.

I think the Tiggers are going to run out of catchers soon. Oh well, there's always Matt Walbeck.
   105. John Posted: November 18, 2002 at 07:21 AM (#559431)
Honestly there are probably 10-15 guys available who could be just as lousy in CF for the Tigers as Kingsale will. So what of Torres and Bocachica don't happen to be on the list, Kingsale is less of an upgrade from those guys than Inge is a downgrade from Rivera. I think the Tigers problem is that they really just have no idea what they're trying to do and where they are on the competitive cycle.

Right now the Tigers stink. They also have limited minor league depth. This would normally elicit an attempt to acquire young quality players in trades and let guys like Dimitri Young head for the exits. Unfortunately the Tigers actually thought they were a contender last season and picked up Young. Complicating matters is the fact that they keep switching all their good hitting, light fielding catchers to less demanding positions where they'll have way less value rather than seeing if they could do tolerably ok as a catcher (Fick and Munson). Throwing Rivera away for a waiver pick-up is just part of this misbegotten concept that if a catcher isn't a catch-and-throw guy he has no value at that position.
   106. Sharkbyte Posted: November 19, 2002 at 01:30 AM (#559433)
Not that the Tigers will likely think of the possibility, but won't the original Bobby Estalella be available now that the Rockies are paying Charles Johnson's salary? If so then Detroit could grab a more-developed version of the same player pretty cheaply...
   107. John Posted: November 19, 2002 at 05:05 AM (#559434)
Rivera throws better than Estalella and doesn't have an ego the size of a house (Estalella apparently reads BP and heard hes supposed to win an MVP at some point) so I'd rather have him than Estalella.
   108. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 19, 2002 at 09:44 PM (#559438)
Another correction: Smith may have signed Young, but Dombrowski was with the organization at that point as Smith's boss, and he presumably signed off on the deal. Whether he thought it was a good idea is, of course, another question.
   109. Greg Franklin Posted: November 19, 2002 at 11:03 PM (#559439)
Check out OMFG's link - you will find that Orosco will have a no-trade clause (!!!) in his deal, and that ex-Padres catcher Carlos Hernandez has retired and is aiming towards being a ML manager someday.
   110. Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute Posted: November 20, 2002 at 08:21 PM (#559622)
WHY???!?!?!?!???

I will only be mollified if the Tomko-Giles trade goes through.

And I was so pleased that this money would not be spent on Deivi Cruz...
   111. MattB Posted: November 20, 2002 at 08:43 PM (#559623)
San Diego Padres Lesson Learned in 2002: You can NEVER have too many pitchers on your team.

I think they set a record last year. You can't blame them for hording anyone they could find whose shoulder was within three feet of the rest of their arms.
   112. Geoff Young Posted: November 20, 2002 at 09:16 PM (#559624)
The Cordova signing is okay by me. Low-risk, potentially high-reward. Signing a guy who is older than the number of innings he'll pitch to a deal that includes a no-trade clause, OTOH, makes no sense.

I'm with dsm. FREE MARCUS GILES!!!!
   113. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 20, 2002 at 09:22 PM (#559625)
You can't blame them for hording anyone they could find whose shoulder was within three feet of the rest of their arms.

Yes I can! I can and do!

As I said in another thread, someone's going to have to explain this one for me. You can't flip him to a contender for prospects, and you can't (reasonably) expect him to help you win the division with his LOOGYness against Bonds, et al. So why spend a roster spot on him, let alone $800,000 guaranteed dollars? Maybe he's really coach-errific, but he still ain't worth it.
   114. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 20, 2002 at 09:36 PM (#559627)
Lefty One Out GuY
   115. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 20, 2002 at 09:53 PM (#559629)
I don't believe that relief pitchers put butts in the seats. There's no guarantee they'll make an appearance, an if they do it often lasts less than 10 pitches (5 for Orosco). If that's the Padres thinking, they need to take their brains in for servicing.
   116. Greg Franklin Posted: November 20, 2002 at 10:17 PM (#559630)
Jesse Orosco was born in Santa Barbara, CA.

Like the commentary in the old Bill James books sez ... the 1980s Mets led the league in foreign-looking players who were actually All-American -- Orosco, Ron Darling, Sid Fernandez.
   117. Geoff Young Posted: November 20, 2002 at 10:23 PM (#559631)
Brett, I don't think so. They've already got Oliver Perez for that. Cordova's role on the club is uncertain at the moment. Presumably he's there just in case the kids stumble. He might also be part of the infrastructure needed to clear the way for dealing Tomko, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.
   118. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 20, 2002 at 10:49 PM (#559633)
Jesse Orosco was born in Santa Barbara, CA

Oops. Guess I was thinking of muralist Jos? Clemente Orozco.

Who, coincidentally, would make an equally worthwhile use of a roster spot.
   119. Cris E Posted: November 20, 2002 at 11:38 PM (#559635)
In the past Towers has made a spot for the quasi-coach oldster at the end of the bench (ie Rickey, Magadan). This might just be a case of getting an steadying influence in the pen the help the kids along and also get a few lefties out. The Twins had Mike Jackson for that role last year and I suspect (baselessly) it was a big part of the sudden improvements in Santana and Hawkins.
   120. Clyde Posted: November 21, 2002 at 08:28 AM (#559637)
Are the inmates running the Asylum in San Diego?

Towers appears to be a stathead friendly GM, but some of these recent signings (Deivi Cruz, Jesse Orosco) are puzzling. Is Bochy leaning on him to bring in these crusty old types? If Royce Clayton is signed, I will be very disappointed.

Free Cesar Crespo!
   121. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 21, 2002 at 02:50 PM (#559638)
I still maintain that Cruz was a good signing at that time and that price. He isn't a bad 500k bench player, since he can (notionally) cover short and has a bit of pop, and he hadn't yet prematurely aged at the time of the signing. The decision to make him a regular was, of course, ludicrous.

If I were more than a casual Padres observer, I'd be pissed if signing Orosco means the team loses Ben Johnson in the Rule V Draft.

Good luck to Cordova, who was a pretty good pitcher when healthy. There's nothing worse than staggering home from a long night of washing dishes at 2AM, except possibly finding out that you completely missed the first no-hitter by your team in a decade.

The money's off, Rube, but I wouldn't mind seeing my Bucs drag Henderson in. They need somebody who can get on base, even if he does look like he just rose from the dead as a plague upon the living.
   122. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 21, 2002 at 05:30 PM (#559640)
There's nothing worse than staggering home from a long night of washing dishes at 2AM, except possibly finding out that you completely missed the first no-hitter by your team in a decade.

At least you had one last decade.

What about finding out that your team failed to record a no-hitter for the 5500th time in a row? Meaning since it's inception.

Or this: listening on the radio as your team blows open a laugher. Your favorite player (Tony Gwynn) has already recorded a triple, a homerun, and a double. The game is on the road and it's only the 6th inning, so you look at the batting order and realize he's mathematically guaranteed at least two more plate appearances (could be three the way this game is going). He happens to be the greatest singles hitter of his generation, and your team has never had a player hit for the cycle in its history. You are then forced to listen helplessly as Jim Riggleman decides to rest the starters, including Gwynn.

(grumble)
   123. Mikαεl Posted: November 21, 2002 at 08:28 PM (#559641)
The Pads just signed Mario Valdez to a minor league deal. San Diego's 2003 slogan: "Come See Our Seven First Basemen".
   124. Geoff Young Posted: November 21, 2002 at 10:27 PM (#559642)
Klesko, Nevin, Valdez, and four 1Bmen to be named later?

Heckuva signing, BTW, if they give him 200 PA or so.
   125. MattB Posted: November 21, 2002 at 10:51 PM (#559643)
Just because Orosco was a LOOGY the past few years doesn't mean the Padres have to use him that way.

Despite the rep, Orosco does not fall off a cliff against righties or against the second batter he faces. In fact, while there is some selection bias and small samples at work here, he has actually better against righties and "deeper" into games the past few years.

Just because he pitched 30 innings for L.A. doesn't mean that he can't be put to better use in San Diego. I doubt his contract guarantees him LOOGY status. I see no evidence he can't be left there for three, four batters at a time, rack up 70+ innings and become a "real" reliever. In that case, he'd certainly be worth $800K.
   126. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 21, 2002 at 11:45 PM (#559644)
I see no evidence he can't be left there for three, four batters at a time, rack up 70+ innings and become a "real" reliever. In that case, he'd certainly be worth $800K.

The evidence: his arm will be 46 freakin' years old and he doesn't possess a knuckleball. That said, I have no problem with the Padres using him that way until his arm falls off (or more likely his back goes out, his knees get arthritic, etc.). If they get significant innings out of him, great. But nobody else was offering him $800k or a no-trade clause, so I don't know what possessed the Padres to offer him both.

Geoff Young, you need to stop posting here and go write something for Ducksnorts. (I'm Jonesing for my fix.)
   127. Geoff Young Posted: November 22, 2002 at 07:47 PM (#559646)
Geoff Young, you need to stop posting here and go write something for Ducksnorts. (I'm Jonesing for my fix.)

Ask and you shall receive....
   128. Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute Posted: November 23, 2002 at 03:28 AM (#559647)
"They need somebody who can get on base, even if he does look like he just rose from the dead as a plague upon the living."

Unfortunately Benny Santiago doesn't get on base all that much.
   129. Geoff Young Posted: December 08, 2002 at 07:18 PM (#560271)
The only risk to this move is that it potentially keeps the Padres out of the Orlando Palmeiro sweepstakes. Yeah, I know that doesn't mean much to most of the country, but this off-season has been pretty depressing here in San Diego: Jesse Orosco, Francisco Cordova, Chris Sexton, and Brady Anderson? And Royce Clayton is rumored to be on the way. Ugh....
   130. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 11, 2002 at 03:43 AM (#560467)
Heh. I, too, thought immediately of Magadan.
   131. Bob T Posted: December 11, 2002 at 04:20 AM (#560469)
Normally bad Dodger reserves go to San Diego and become just good enough to ruin the Dodgers' season (see Gwynn, Chris).

I'm not sure what will happen when a good Dodger reserve goes to San Diego.
   132. Christian (ruz) Posted: December 11, 2002 at 06:13 PM (#560472)
Terms of the contracts, according to rotoworld:

-- Hansen: $550K in '03, $750K in '04.
   133. Geoff Young Posted: December 11, 2002 at 06:47 PM (#560473)
More info on the signings: http://www.nctimes.net/news/2002/20021211/52019.html

Jim: You've hit it spot on wrto Nevin. His attitude is wearing very thin. If Burroughs isn't starting at 3B in 2003 there will be some very disappointed Padre fans.

On the bright side, it looks like we won't be getting Royce Clayton.
   134. Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute Posted: December 11, 2002 at 07:30 PM (#560474)
I think the Padres are pretty much set on having Burroughs at 3B. I have heard about Nevin playing the OF, but what happened to the plan of Nevin going to 1B and Klesko in RF? I would think Klesko has somewhat more mobility out there.

Nevin's attitude is getting worse. I saw an interview with him yesterday, and it was a thinly disguised cut at the front office for thinking of trading someone so important to the franchise. According to Nevin, he and Klesko ARE the team, and know what is best for everyone, including the minor league pitching development staff. I wouldn't mind seeing him go, but only for equivalent talent - the guy is a heck of a hitter.
   135. Christian (ruz) Posted: December 11, 2002 at 07:43 PM (#560475)
So Wright is being brought in as Hoffman insurance, and Towers name-checks Eric Gagne as an example of this working previously.

Lessee...

Gagne: 27 years old, throws righty
   136. Sharkbyte Posted: December 11, 2002 at 07:48 PM (#560476)
Has there been any suggestion that Nevin be put back behind the plate on at least a part-time basis? The Padres haven't been shy about moving players to tougher positions on the defensive spectrum (Gautreau and Burroughs at 2B, etc.), Nevin does have a fair bit of experience there and the C spot otherwise looks like the one glaring hole offensively...

On the other hand, Nevin's not at an age where many players have succeeded behind the plate either. Is it worth gambling with a current franchise bat in order to fit all the future ones into the lineup?
   137. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 11, 2002 at 09:26 PM (#560477)
IIRC, Nevin wasn't even the emergency catcher last year, so I think any ideas of using him there are over. I don't think he was ever a good defensive catcher, but tried the position back when he couldn't hold a job elsewhere.
   138. Geoff Young Posted: December 11, 2002 at 09:41 PM (#560478)
Nevin is griping about moving to the OF. He's also difficult to deal because of his no-trade clause. His position, basically, is that he'll play 3B in San Diego. Anything else is unacceptable.

Klesko doesn't have any desire to move off 1B but he tends to keep his mouth shut about it and will do whatever's best for the team. The theory behind moving Nevin to the OF is that then only one of your star players is upset.

As for moving Nevin back behind the plate, no way. The guy who was grateful to even have a career when the Angels dumped him for Andy Sheets isn't the guy who thinks he calls the shots now. If the Padres can get decent value for Nevin, I won't be sorry to see him leave.
   139. Clyde Posted: December 11, 2002 at 11:07 PM (#560479)
Let's not also forget that Nevin enjoys playing armchair GM. He was pretty scathing towards Towers in regards to some of their young pitchers as well.

Nice knowing you Phil, is what I say.
   140. Snowboy Posted: December 11, 2002 at 11:32 PM (#560480)
If you're tired of Nevin's attitude, you probably wouldn't have been much happier around Burrough's last spring. Hopefully he's gotten a little smarter/more serious this year.
   141. Dan Walls Posted: December 12, 2002 at 01:14 AM (#560481)
I'm a little confused about the statement implying that Burroughs wasn't very smart or serious last spring. If I recall he came into Spring Training with a great attitude (got along well with Nevin, Klesko according to reports), and was in great shape (won a conditioning drill). His problems at the start of last year had more to do with a shoulder injury than any attitude questions as I remember it. Does someone else remember something differently?
   142. Geoff Young Posted: December 12, 2002 at 01:56 AM (#560482)
This is the first I've heard regarding any attitude with Burroughs. Mostly he needs to stay healthy and gain experience.
   143. Mr. Crowley Posted: December 16, 2002 at 09:39 PM (#560824)
It's a trade!
   144. John Posted: December 16, 2002 at 09:45 PM (#560826)
I wonder if Loretta is around to be the 3Bman if Nevin is traded ot if the Pads intend on using him in his typical super-sub role. I guess their intentions will be alot clearer when we find out how much the contract is for.
   145. Geoff Young Posted: December 16, 2002 at 09:53 PM (#560827)
Towers has indicated that Loretta will start at 2B, with Vazquez moving back to SS. Failing a longer-term solution (e.g., Marcus Giles or Felipe Lopez), this is what I was hoping for. Great pickup, IMO.
   146. Geoff Young Posted: December 16, 2002 at 10:09 PM (#560828)
Also, Burroughs is at 3B, with Nevin in LF.

BTW, good use of Admiral Ackbar; that's the first one of those I've laughed at.
   147. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 16, 2002 at 10:29 PM (#560830)
Best part about this signing is that the Oracle's statement that Loretta's not going to hit 304/381/410 every year, but something in the 360/390 range will be perfectly acceptable is entirely reasonable. His career line is 293/359/390/748 in over 3000 PAs.

I have no idea what the Brewers pitching staff and official scorer are like ("Is Milwaukee still in the league?"), but Loretta appears to be a short-range-but-sure-hands kind of guy anywhere you put him. I'll take that and a .350+ OBP and be happy.
   148. Dan Szymborski Posted: December 16, 2002 at 10:43 PM (#560831)
Heh, I'm not sure how I feel about the best part of this transaction is apparently me being reasonable!
   149. John Posted: December 16, 2002 at 11:02 PM (#560832)
I thought Burroughs arm injury had limited him to playing 2B since he couldn't make the throw from 3B well.

When I've watched him, Loretta has always seemed to handle 3B better than 2B because of exactly what fracas says, "hes a sure handed, low-range guy" Probably too much to expect the Pads to try Loretta at 3B and Burroughs at 2B since each is coded as a guy who should be at the other position. Then again, they might just do like last year and have everyone play all over. Cruz, Vazquez and Jimenez all played a significant amount of time at 3B, SS, and 2B.

I just hope Loretta plays 15 games at SS cause I have him in a simulation league and need him to reach 15 games at SS to use him there in '04 (based on '03 stats).
   150. Clyde Posted: December 16, 2002 at 11:14 PM (#560833)
Loretta can help San Diego.

Why is Crespo DOB listed in quotes...has there been any rumor that he is significantly older? Although, given that Crespo wasn't really given much of an opportunity as a 22/23 player, maybe there is something to that, I just figured that he was born Crespo, and was hence pre-ordained into the utilityman life.
   151. Dan Walls Posted: December 17, 2002 at 12:03 AM (#560834)
After the fearful rumors of re-signing Deivi Cruz (thank you Baltimore) or signing Royce Clayton (thank you Brewers) the signing of Loretta to play second and moving Vazquez to short is the best news I have heard from the Padres this offseason.
   152. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 17, 2002 at 01:33 AM (#560835)
I thought somebody asked how much Loretta would make, but skimming the thread I don't see it. Anyway, he makes $1.25 million according to the AP.

I'd like everyone's predictions for the lineup and rotation. Here's mine (note pathetically slavish devotion to alternating lefties & righties):

SS L Ramon Vasquez
   153. Geoff Young Posted: December 17, 2002 at 01:45 AM (#560836)
I hate to see Kotsay that far down in the order, but this makes sense to me. There are a lot of good #2 hitters here. My one guess is that Burroughs doesn't *end* the year in the #7 slot.

For the rotation, I'll go with Francisco Cordova as the #5 guy until he gets hurt. Then Dennis Tankersley steps in.
   154. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 17, 2002 at 02:00 AM (#560837)
Yeah, any of Vasquez, Loretta and Kotsay could bat leadoff or second; Burroughs could also bat second.

Is there a website with up to date rosters? padres.mlb.com shows them as still having Tomko, and I can't believe Ron Gant still counts as a roster spot just because he hasn't signed elsewhere.
   155. John Posted: December 17, 2002 at 05:44 AM (#560839)
www.baseballamerica.com has the 40-man rosters by team from the pre-rule V draft set date listed. You could easily put in the recent moves to get it up to date.

espn.com toys with the idea of having accurate rosters but don't ever actually have it just right.

Vinay,

On the 2B thing, do you think guys who are slotted as 2B (ie. not good enough to play SS but same skill set basically) tend to develop porly because there is already that pre-selection of the best to play SS or do you think there is something about 2B which makes them not develop? Catcher I can understand making guys not develop, 2B doesn't seem any different from SS to me as far as the rigors go (in fact with the shorter throw to 1B its less rigorous).
   156. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 17, 2002 at 06:16 AM (#560840)
I'm not sure if there's any way to teach a guy how to keep from getting creamed on the pivot. I don't mean that injuries necessarily impede second basemen's development, although that's certainly possible. I just think the acrobatics required to avoid a runner determined to break up the DP aren't something that can really be practiced, due to the variable timing of the arrivals of the ball, runner, and 2B, and the positions of the ball and runner.
   157. John Posted: December 17, 2002 at 10:39 AM (#560841)
I've always liked Jose Vidro's method of keeping from getting creamed on the pivot. Every time the opposing runner makes him jump by going right at him he makes sure to land one of his feet on the sliding guy's arm or leg. Since he has a reputation for being an unagile 2Bman he can get away with it cause nobody thinks its deliberate. I used to think so too but as an Expos fan who watches alot of games I can tell you it happens waaaaay too often for it to be accidental (like 75-80% of the time). Of course most 2Bmen aren't built like Vidro (short and stocky) so maybe they're afraid that the guy'll get up and clobber them.
   158. rlc Posted: December 17, 2002 at 01:32 PM (#560842)
Every time the opposing runner makes [Vidro] jump by going right at him he makes sure to land one of his feet on the sliding guy's arm or leg.

Sounds like a good way to sprain an ankle - does that never happen to Vidro?
   159. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 21, 2002 at 01:47 AM (#561686)
Like many of Towers's other pickups this offseason, I just don't see the benefit here.
   160. NTNgod Posted: December 21, 2002 at 02:34 AM (#561688)
Maybe Towers is just stockpiling them so he can trade them to John Hart for good stuff :)
   161. Eugene Freedman Posted: December 21, 2002 at 03:49 AM (#561690)
Starting three years ago one of those rotisserie websites would always post "bone on bone" to refer to the fact that Nagy had no cartilage in his elbow. I wonder if the Padres know that.
   162. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 21, 2002 at 03:58 AM (#561691)
Yeah, I saw that too. I always imagined a hideous grinding noise whenever he threw, sort of like the sound my '89 Accord with the bad constant velocity joint makes when I drive it.
   163. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 21, 2002 at 05:18 AM (#561692)
Towers seems very willing to spend minimal money on guys who most folks think should be retired. It's not a high-percentage move, but it is a low-risk one. It worked out with Fernando Valenzuela. The second go round with Rickey also qualifies. One of those every half dozen tries seems like a decent return on investment.

Okay, I guess I'm alright with this. It'll probably come to nothing but what the heck.
   164. Geoff Young Posted: December 21, 2002 at 07:48 AM (#561693)
Perhaps he's insurance for Francisco Cordova? ;-)

Seriously, I agree with fracas. These are low-risk moves. I don't think Nagy's got anything left, but what the heck. Might as well just bring in everybody and their mother to compete for the #5 slot and long-relief job. Maybe one of 'em turns out to be okay.

It also seems that some of these guys might go the Dave Magadan route and end up coaching somewhere in the system. I'm thinking mostly of Orosco and Brady Anderson, but also Hansen and Nagy could fit that description.
   165. John Posted: December 24, 2002 at 11:27 AM (#561699)
srar

Nagy, Anderson, Cordova, Wright have all upside, but mostly only because there was nowhere down to go.

That said, Wright and Cordova could be useful if things roll right. Nagy could be acceptable, and I dunno whats up with Hansen and Anderson signings.
   166. Geoff Young Posted: December 24, 2002 at 08:30 PM (#561701)
Wright has significant upside, but it's anybody's guess as to whether he'll actually reach it. Cordova could be interesting, too.

Nagy and Anderson seem like extreme reaches to me. As for Hansen, he's sort of assuming the Dave Magadan role. Veteran left-handed bat off the bench, someone to show the kids how to work the count, etc.

Bush will be competing with Chris Sexton and Jose Flores for the utility infielder spot. I don't like his chances to make the club.
   167. Mr. Crowley Posted: December 26, 2002 at 10:16 PM (#561906)
I'll tell you what....

It's a trap!
   168. Bill Posted: December 26, 2002 at 10:31 PM (#561909)
We all have to root for Jay to return to the World Series. The compassionate among us can hope he redeems himself. The others (people who enjoy watching car wrecks) can hope he pushes his world series ERA over 100.
   169. Christopher Posted: December 26, 2002 at 10:37 PM (#561910)
David West edges him out and I'm guessing there's somebody who gave up a run without recording an out.
   170. Bill Posted: December 26, 2002 at 10:50 PM (#561911)
It isn't so much Jay's WS ERA that's impressive. It's the 13 hits in 1 2/3 IP's that really catches the eye. Dave West, as I recall, just couldn't find the plate one inning.
   171. Christopher Posted: December 26, 2002 at 11:15 PM (#561912)
I looked it up in the Lahman DB and instead of looking at ERA I sorted by Earned Runs - Outs. Witasick now ranks first (last?) with 5 more runs allowed than outs beating out West and three guys with 4 ER and 0 IP. Looking at Baserunners - Outs, Witasick again is in the lead surpassing West.
   172. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 27, 2002 at 01:15 AM (#561913)
Who cares about his WS stats? They're a fluke.

Will he help the Padres, either on the field or via trade? (and which way?)
   173. Geoff Young Posted: December 27, 2002 at 02:42 AM (#561915)
I know I'm rooting for Jay to return to the WS. :-)
   174. Andere Richtingen Posted: December 27, 2002 at 03:48 AM (#561917)
(Cubs instead of Alfonseca!)

Let's set one thing straight: virtually every decent reliever acquired via trade, waiver wire pickup, cheapo NRI and non-tendered FA would have been a better choice for the Cubs than paying a boatload to Alfonseca, so there is no reason to bring it up every time.
   175. Dan Szymborski Posted: December 27, 2002 at 05:51 AM (#561918)
OK, OK, I'll find another relief move to harp on!
   176. Bill Posted: December 27, 2002 at 06:29 AM (#561919)
I respect Fracas's seriousness of purposes but frankly the most interesting thing by far about Jay is his WS record. We are all getting sucked into sharing the inexplicable fascination that GM's seem to have for totally fungible, maddeningly unpredictable middle relievers.
   177. Geoff Young Posted: December 27, 2002 at 09:04 AM (#561920)
Actually, I'd like to see him make it to the WS--don't laugh--as a member of the Padres.

Good cheap signing. Could serve as closer in the early going if Hoffman isn't ready to go.
   178. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 27, 2002 at 10:00 AM (#561921)
Geoff, I may just by tired and cranky, but I think you're drinking the Cool-Aid. You're parroting Towers.
   179. Geoff Young Posted: December 27, 2002 at 05:32 PM (#561924)
Well, fracas, wouldn't *you* like to see Witasick make it to the WS as a member of the Padres? I didn't say it was going to happen, just that I'd like to see it happen. As a Padre fan, I'll be rooting for Witasick to make the WS with the Padres. I expect Towers will be doing the same. :-)
   180. Bill Posted: December 27, 2002 at 05:43 PM (#561925)
Geoff, having close friends in San Diego and the Pads being no threat to my local squad, I do root for them in that division. But I think you are getting a bit carried away there. Jay Witasick has been good for exactly one and a half seasons of his career and has been a disaster in the remainder. I don't think anyone is likely to start playing Hell's Bells when he takes the mound. But best of luck to the Pads.
   181. Geoff Young Posted: December 27, 2002 at 07:15 PM (#561926)
Bill: If Hoffman isn't ready to go in April, what other options do the Padres have? Seriously. Jaret Wright? Kevin Jarvis? Brandon Villafuerte? Luther Hackman? Jesse Orosco? Kevin Walker? Clay Condrey? Eric Cyr? Mike Bynum?

Who would you have close games for the Pads? Witasick looks like as good an option as any to me. More important than my opinion, however, is that of the ballclub:

Towers knows exactly where Witasick will fit in his second stint in San Diego. The right-hander will be the primary eighth-inning reliever if closer Trevor Hoffman's shoulder is fit in 2003. If Hoffman is ailing, Witasick will take much of the ninth-inning load.

(source: http://www.nctimes.net/news/2002/20021224/53318.html)

Look at what Witasick has done since he moved full-time to relief:

IP H ER HR BB SO ERA
   182. Bill Posted: December 27, 2002 at 08:06 PM (#561927)
Geoff, I was merely being amused at the idea of a team on which Witasick was the best reliever getting to the WS. Despite his bizarre performance for my local squad in 2001, Witasick is certainly on the verge of establishing himself in the Brian Boehringer-Jay Powell class of reasonably-decent middle reliever.
   183. Geoff Young Posted: December 27, 2002 at 08:18 PM (#561928)
Bill: Gotcha. You say amused, I say depressed but hopeful. ;-)
   184. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 28, 2002 at 02:12 AM (#561929)
Like I said, I was just cranky. Witasick's fine as an interim closer, but as we all know, so is any decent reliever. So is closer-by-committee.

For that matter, (heresy alert) the Padres best-case scenario may be a breakdown by Hoffy in this, the final year of his contract. The Padres could buyout his $10M option (what's the buyout amount?) and perhaps resign him for drastically less or just spend the $10M elsewhere. All the better if they gain this payroll flexibility while identifying other bullpen options (one of their not-quite-breaking-out starting candidates who's not even arb eligible?)

Make a virtue of necessity, Kevin!
   185. Clyde Posted: December 28, 2002 at 07:59 AM (#561930)
It is me, or has Towers done a lot of "non-stathead" moves lately? It is possible that he was just getting good advice? Signing all of these geezers doesn't seem to be much for improving the club in the long run. A thousand pardons, if this subject has already been discussed.
   186. User unknown in local recipient table (Craig B) Posted: December 28, 2002 at 11:03 PM (#561932)
the Padres best-case scenario may be a breakdown by Hoffy in this, the final year of his contract. The Padres could buyout his $10M option (what's the buyout amount?)

The buyout amount is $2 million.
   187. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 29, 2002 at 07:34 AM (#561933)
Thanks, Craig B. I don't like to wish ill on a good guy like Hoffman, but even an elite closer isn't worth $10M, unless you've just got money to burn.
   188. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: December 30, 2002 at 06:36 AM (#561936)
Jay Witasick's 2001 WS ERA: 54.00. His 2002 WS ERA: 54.00. That gives him a career WS ERA of 56.25.
   189. Geoff Young Posted: January 07, 2003 at 07:21 AM (#561940)
Witasick and Wright are most likely to close games if Hoffman isn't ready to go. Hoffman isn't recovering as well as hoped. He's a good bet to start the year on the DL.
   190. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: February 03, 2003 at 02:33 AM (#564808)
Well, it's full circle for Lockhart, who broke in with the Padres as a 29 year old pup. How often does a guy with zero MLB experience through age 28 wind up with more than a cup of coffee?

Still, I hope he gets nowhere near the roster.
   191. Darren Posted: February 03, 2003 at 05:45 PM (#564813)
The more I see of what's going on in San Diego lately, the more I think that they miss Theo sorely.
   192. MM1f Posted: February 04, 2003 at 01:07 AM (#564815)
Good for Lockhart.
   193. Colin Posted: February 04, 2003 at 03:17 AM (#564816)
Woohoo!

Of course, this Braves fan fully expects the Braves to receive Lockhart as part of a summer trade...
   194. Colin Posted: February 04, 2003 at 02:53 PM (#564818)
I as a Braves fan channeled my irritation at Lockhart, though it was of course Cox who stubbornly insisted on always playing him too much.

As for "incredible clutch hitter", it's a case of when he was good he was very very good, and when he was bad he was horrid:

Stats as PH:
   195. Dan Walls Posted: February 04, 2003 at 06:24 PM (#564819)
Lockhart's only chance on making this team is if Flores flops, or gets hurt. It's the same with Brady Anderson, if Shane Victorino is terrible in spring camp, then Anderson is, like Lockhart, a low cost backup plan.
   196. Eli Hungerford: Cityboy Crypto-Elitist for hire Posted: February 07, 2003 at 05:02 PM (#551682)
For what it's worth, as a Cardinals fan, I liked this trade at the time (honest), and I (obviously) still like it today. Did anyone who criticized this trade at the time actually *watch* Lankford play in the months leading up to it? He was an absolute train-wreck at the plate.

"He's treated like trash since then."
   197. Eli Hungerford: Cityboy Crypto-Elitist for hire Posted: February 07, 2003 at 10:36 PM (#551685)
Rob H,

You'll find no one who was more upset at the Tino signing than me. That said, it's not really a valid comparison. Tino's utter mediocrity came in the first year of a inadvisable contract that, realistically, no one is ever going to take off of the Cardinals hands. Lankford, on the other hand, was near the end of a contract, and wasn't in the team's long range plans.

And while this is conjecture, I just can't see Tino grousing and pouting the way Lankford did when he lost his spot in the starting lineup. I lost all patience with Lankford when he demanded (via the media) to know "why" he'd lost his job. Well, Ray, do you think it might have had something to do with the fact that he was striking out more than once every three at-bats, and had made no adjustment to his oversized swing. Clearly, that was not a swing that was going to cut it when Ray started losing bat speed.

Finally, I know it's taboo to evaluate a trade retroactively, but the results are very hard to argue with. Woody, when healthy, has been nearly as effective as Morris, and Lankford, last I heard, is still waiting for someone to invite him to camp.
   198. Hatrack Hines Posted: May 08, 2003 at 01:19 AM (#565870)
Awwwww. I was going to a Portland Beavers game tonight. I was looking forward to seeing old Brady.
   199. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: May 24, 2003 at 05:25 PM (#565967)
Matthews was also pretty solid in Pittsburgh in 2001; I'm not entirely comfortable saying that his performance last year was a fluke.
   200. Geoff Young Posted: May 24, 2003 at 05:28 PM (#565968)
You forgot Will Cunnane and Kory DeHaan. ;-)

Bay started in CF last night, and probably will be there for most of Kotsay's absence. Matthews does give the Pads their first legitimate backup outfielder of the season.

Couple other quick points:

1. Nady is a better defender than Buchanan.
Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
tshipman
for his generous support.