Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

San Diego Padres

Released C-OF Tom Wilson and P Kevin Walker.

Biff will find another job as his recent few years have given him that “Proven Major League Catcher Man” that took him a decade to earn (and rightfully so).  The Padres have decided to go with Miggy Ojeda in backing up Hernandez.

Dan Szymborski Posted: March 30, 2004 at 03:35 PM | 1 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   201. Geoff Young Posted: May 26, 2003 at 07:42 AM (#565970)
Y-Man:

The main point I was trying to make is that Buchanan really is not a good defensive outfielder. With the disclaimer that I'm not a scout, my personal impressions of Nady are that he generally gets a decent break on fly balls, catches what he gets to, and has an accurate arm that is probably not as strong as that of most right fielders.

More importantly, I don't cringe when balls are hit to him. The same cannot be said of Buchanan.

BTW, Bay broke his wrist today on a HBP and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. Hello, Gary Matthews.
   202. David Jones Posted: May 26, 2003 at 01:35 PM (#565971)
Maybe it is time to can some of the snide remarks about the Orioles. Right now they are regularly playing Brian Roberts, Luis Matos, and before he was hurt, Larry Bigbie. True, these guys only got their chance because of injuries, but nonetheless it is a step in the right direction. Now they've also recalled Cust to the majors despite the fact that he's hitting for such a low batting average, which would seem to suggest that the club IS capable of valuing walks.

I know that in my team preview this year I criticized the Orioles for using over-the-hill veterans, but since I wrote that piece they've released Reboulet and Valentin in order to make room for a Rule V guy, Jose Morban, and they've also traded for Jack Cust.

By the way, Dan, 14 months ago when the Orioles picked up Matthews, you described him as a "generic 5th outfielder" who, "if it weren't for his last name, would have long since gone the way of Scott Bullett."
   203. Dan Szymborski Posted: May 26, 2003 at 04:07 PM (#565972)
I still think that's pretty fair. And he did get a lot of chances due to his last name. If Matthews' last name were Aven or LaRocca, he's a minor league free agent every year.

As I said, this organization has eroded my faith over the last 10 years. I need to see a real step forward (Surhoff, Cruz being released, serious effort to trade Conine) before I'm going to take them seriously.

If I eat at a restaurant that's closed down for gross violations of the health code, it's going to take more than a flyer in my door saying "Giorgio's! Now with 35% less rat feces!" before they get my business again.
   204. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 30, 2003 at 03:21 PM (#565973)
David J: the Orioles sent Cust back down without giving him an AB.

Yes, they released Reboulet and Valentin for a Rule V guy -- and are apparently giving him a full year of "Watch Deivi Cruz and don't do anything he does" instruction.
   205. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: May 30, 2003 at 08:06 PM (#565974)
Having seen both, Matthews is a much better CF defender than Aven.
   206. fables of the deconstruction Posted: May 31, 2003 at 02:13 AM (#565975)
... and are apparently giving him a full year of "Watch Deivi Cruz and don't do anything he does" instruction.

"Stone Faced" Nieporent actually cracked a funny! Will wonders ever cease...? ;-) ...

-----------
   207. Darren Posted: June 05, 2003 at 04:03 PM (#566071)
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you this year's version of Jay Witasick/Alan Embree.

Step 1, we take a decent reliever, put him in our spacious park, and pitch him mostly at home.

Step 2, wait.

Step 3, trade him for a good prospect.
   208. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 05, 2003 at 04:08 PM (#566072)
Go, Shooter, go!
   209. User unknown in local recipient table (Craig B) Posted: June 05, 2003 at 11:06 PM (#566075)
A bit lost in all the living-at-the-park nonsense is that Beck was terrific in Iowa, albeit in 30.2 innings... he had an 0.59 ERA and 26 strikeouts to 8 walks. That is at least one piece of evidence that he can still pitch.
   210. Cal Posted: June 05, 2003 at 11:34 PM (#566076)
Beck's always had good control, and I'll bet most of the guys down on the farm have't seen a fork ball like his. His problem is the lack of velocity on his fastball. Unless he found some mph's, major leaguers will wait on the 87mph heater and crush it.
   211. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: June 05, 2003 at 11:47 PM (#566077)
The secret is to throw the 87-mph heat at their kneecaps, and then throw the forkball away.

1-2-3 ninth.
   212. VegasRobb Posted: June 06, 2003 at 01:10 PM (#566079)
Bring back Doug Jones! Otherwise,go big shootah!
   213. Mr. Crowley Posted: June 12, 2003 at 04:35 PM (#566080)
It's a trap!
   214. Darren Posted: August 26, 2003 at 09:12 PM (#567585)
Dan,

Are you sure about the players involved? I think it's being reported that the PTBNL is likely to be AA pitcher Corey Stewart, rather than Nady.

I also found this puzzling: Bay's interesting, too, and would be an excellent 4th outfielder right now, but he doesn't have a lot of star potential.

I'd say Bay's numbers, speed, defense, and scouting reports indicate that he does have a decent amount of star potential. I'd say he has a pretty decent chance to be Tim Salmon-ish.
   215. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: August 26, 2003 at 09:19 PM (#567588)
Going from KC to San Diego for White..

Brian Sanches and Chris Tierney
   216. Graeme Posted: August 26, 2003 at 09:43 PM (#567590)
Only one batter who has gotten more than 300 win shares started his carear after age 25. It was Sam Wise I think, not sure though
   217. Darren Posted: August 26, 2003 at 09:51 PM (#567591)
re: Jason Bay's star status - aren't nearly all "stars" playing in the majors before turning 25? I think his age is his only statistic that isn't impressive.

Well, Brian Giles wasn't. :)

Giles, age 24, at AAA: .310 .395 .501
   218. Dan Szymborski Posted: August 26, 2003 at 10:33 PM (#567592)
The initial ESPN reports said Xavier Nady, but that looks wrong now. I think this makes it worse for the Pirates; they need bats with upside more than yet another pitcher with upside. If the Padres really got the Pirates down to paying half of Kendall's salary, they should be shot for not pursuing it; 7 million for a catcher who's a lot closer to Mickey Cochrane than Mike Heath is a good thing.

The Padres appear to have gotten Chris Tierney and Brian Sanches for White. Sanches has been terrific in relief for Wichita while Tierney has been weak as a starter, but young enough to check back in 2 or 3 years. I doubt either would be making Royals top prospect lists this winter.
   219. bob mong Posted: August 26, 2003 at 10:51 PM (#567593)
Nobody's written about the impact on Kansas City - replacing Ken Harvey with Rondell White should really help them out, I think. Any other thoughts?
   220. VegasRobb Posted: August 26, 2003 at 11:11 PM (#567594)
Can I be the first to say the Pirates didn't get enough for Giles?
   221. Hatrack Hines Posted: August 27, 2003 at 12:22 AM (#567597)
None of these players need to clear waivers. The players the Pirates get were claimed by the Pirates and the players that the Padres get were claimed by the Padres.

Look at the records for the Padres and Pirates. They're both at or near the bottom of the NL, so they get the earliest claims.
   222. Hatrack Hines Posted: August 27, 2003 at 01:31 AM (#567600)
Will -

What exactly is the mechanism for that? Does Littlefield call the Reds and Brewers and say, "We're trading for x, y, and z. Please don't claim them."??
   223. NTNgod Posted: August 27, 2003 at 04:05 AM (#567602)
It's revocable waiver time; it would be pointless for the Reds, Mets, or Brewers to claim Perez or Bay.
   224. John Posted: August 27, 2003 at 04:52 AM (#567604)
Speaking of the Royals, ESPN says that Runnelvys needs Tommy John surgery. Not that he was going to contribute the rest of this season anyway (probably), but that's too bad. Muser's fault? Pena's? Or just the breaks of the game?
   225. Clyde Posted: August 27, 2003 at 07:50 AM (#567606)
As a Padres fan, this makes me sad. I liked both Perez and Bay. Oh well, Giles is nothing to sneeze at.
   226. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: August 27, 2003 at 01:53 PM (#567607)
"What exactly is the mechanism for that? Does Littlefield call the Reds and Brewers and say, 'We're trading for x, y, and z. Please don't claim them.'??"

Probably something like that, yeah. Not that he'd really need to, since their names have been all over the papers for the last couple of years.

"Speaking of the Royals, ESPN says that Runnelvys needs Tommy John surgery. Not that he was going to contribute the rest of this season anyway (probably), but that's too bad. Muser's fault? Pena's? Or just the breaks of the game? "

I'm voting for Runelvys. It's tough for teams to be extra-careful with a pitcher when he isn't honest about how his arm's feeling, and so persists in secretly pitching hurt. If he'd come out and said that he wasn't feeling well last month, he might have been OK with just a partial tear, or even a strain.
   227. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: August 27, 2003 at 07:25 PM (#567608)
That should have been "days", rather. It only feels like years.
   228. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: August 28, 2003 at 03:01 AM (#567610)
I?d kill to have a CF that puts up Bay?s numbers (.303/.410/.541 with 20 homers, and 23/27 in steals in 310 AAA at-bats). He instantly becomes the best outfielder the Pirates have.

Well of course, since they lost Giles in the same instant. But he's not really a CF any more than Giles is, and he put up those numbers in a hitters' league (but a pitchers' park), and he did so rather unexpectedly. He might be more poised for a decline than the 32 year old Giles.

Oh, and apparently Stewart is the the PTBNL, pending the Pirates reassuring themselves about his health, not Nady.
   229. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: August 28, 2003 at 01:33 PM (#567612)
Here's a tip. If you don't want attendance problems, don't do the following:

1) Backdoor a plan for a new, publicly-funded stadium after the public votes down an intial funding referrendum, with the end result of a massive budget shortfall for the city, leading to bulk layoffs of police and firemen.
   230. WTM Posted: August 28, 2003 at 04:06 PM (#567614)
". . . any $30M 'loss' he's suffered . . ."

Just a pet peeve here. McClatchy hasn't suffered a $30M loss, nor have his partners. This figure, if true (which I doubt), is just the team's operating loss. It does not mean the owners have lost money. Bud and his evil minions always talk about operating losses as if they were the whole financial picture, and unquestioning sportswriters and fans equate that with the owners losing money. This is very misleading, which, of course, is why the forces of darkness always put it this way.
   231. WTM Posted: August 28, 2003 at 05:52 PM (#567615)
"As a side, I don?t feel sorry for the Pirate?s fan base. I went to PNC twice this year, and it?s a beautiful ballpark. I?d place it third on my list behind only Wrigley and Fenway. They don?t deserve a high payroll if they?re not going to support their team. The Cubs have sucked for decades, yet we support the team through thick and thin. So I don?t want to hear another Pirate fan cry 'foul play'."

I don't totally disagree, but if the point here is that the problem is Pgh. and not the team's management, Chicago is an interesting comparison. Yes, Cubs fans support the team through thick and thin. White Sox fans, however, don't--their attendance has fluctuated dramatically depending on the team's fortunes, and possibly other factors as well. I have no idea why there are such differences in loyalty between Cubs and White Sox fans, but clearly there are factors that affect attendance other than just people in a particular city being good or bad baseball fans. There must be some of those factors that the team's management can affect in one way or another. As Vlad points out, management's impact on the fans in Pgh. has been decidedly negative.
   232. wcw Posted: September 10, 2003 at 01:23 AM (#567752)
W. lesser.. beeble.. splutter..

this is a baseball site. you cannot bait me. what I want to know is, since Todd Sears has been old for every level and never hit so great in the majors, why do people think he's worth much of anything -- and why did the Twins release Ortiz, who hit well when he was young?

Twins fans, please chime in here. I've just taken a cursory look at the stats.
   233. scott Posted: September 10, 2003 at 04:46 AM (#567755)
well, the whole fake WMD thing was kinda cheap... especially since it's been swept under the rug after not finding any early on... and Milosevic was replaced by an uprising of his own people, not by US ground forces.

but that's all i'm saying on the topic.

scott
   234. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 10, 2003 at 12:27 PM (#567758)
I don't think the country is better in any way right now than it was when Bush took over, and in many ways I think it's much worse. The economy is worse, the environment is worse, national security is worse, international relations are worse, Constitutional protections are worse, the budget surplus has turned into a substantial defecit, and the entire country's been blanketed by a noxious fog of fear and paranoid xenophobia.

I'm probably voting for Dean when the primary comes, because I think we need a defecit hawk and I like what he's done for health care as governor, but I think we'd be better off with just about anyone else running the show.

On Sears, I think he's a decent pickup for the Padres. He didn't really cost anything, and Bozied didn't look ready at AAA this year, so they could probably use a bench 1B for next season. The Twins probably would've been better trading one of their better 1B/OF/DH candidates for an upgrade at 2B or SS.
   235. Eli Hungerford: Cityboy Crypto-Elitist for hire Posted: September 10, 2003 at 01:49 PM (#567760)
Our national adminstration has all the intelligence, diplomatic savvy, and rhetorical elegance of a group of 3rd-grade bullies. To find a more inept and loathsome White House, one has to travel back to the James Buchannan administration, if not further.
   236. wcw Posted: September 10, 2003 at 02:40 PM (#567761)
man, I tried really hard to make a first post that would encourage baseball-only responses. thanks to A Twins Fan; that answer makes sense. $2M for a small-market team is real money. naturally, this begs the question of why in @#$%! they traded for Reed back when (he came with that albatross contract attached, right?), but again -- not my team, so I'm interested merely as a passer-by rubbernecks at a wreck.

as for politics, I shall continue to restrain myself. however, I can comment that several posters here are weak on the facts. try gathering information before you form your opinions, kids. watching a debate gathers facts on campaigns; learning about actual policies from campaign rhetoric is a fool's errand.

and fwiw, I'd suggest the last administration this inept and loathesome is probably as recent as Harding, and before that certainly McKinley. the latter is Rove's favorite president, after all, and the former his explicit, 'return-to-normalcy' political descendent.
   237. Eli Hungerford: Cityboy Crypto-Elitist for hire Posted: September 10, 2003 at 03:34 PM (#567763)
WCW, you're probably right about how far back we need to reach to find an equivalently undesirable administration. It's not yet noon, my brain is still shaking off the cobwebs and did a knee-jerk "who's the worst president ever?" search when coming up with the Buchannan name-drop.

Related question: has there ever been a better-titled snafu than the Teapot Dome Scandal?
   238. Buddha Posted: September 10, 2003 at 06:24 PM (#567764)
The economy was on a bit of an uptick recently. Depends on what you mean by "economy." What's important to you. Consumer spending? Inventory? Jobs? Growth rate? Growth of what? Pretty hard to define.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your next President of the United States: Gen. Wesley Clark.
   239. Brian Posted: September 10, 2003 at 06:49 PM (#567765)
Ladies and Gentleman, an absolute moron: Buddha.
   240. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 10, 2003 at 08:14 PM (#567769)
Yeah, well, you're dead. Go vote in Chicago, if it really means that much to you.
   241. Buddha Posted: September 10, 2003 at 11:00 PM (#567771)
An idiot? Cool.

Well, it could be worse. I could be a troll or a little whiny a$$ b*tch like Brian.

Oh well.
   242. Cris E Posted: September 11, 2003 at 02:12 PM (#567775)
I always likened Sears to Doug M more than Ortiz: not a lot of power, more of a BA and glove guy, but not as good as Doug. Much like the Buchannan trade above it was as much for the benefit of the traded guy, getting him into an organization that wanted him, as anything else. The Twins do take care of their own, even if it is to a fault sometimes.

The Reed trade wouldn't have been that bad if the second part (any second part) had been completed. But they didn't replace the offense it cost to get Reed and so it was a bad move.

I really don't think money is a concern for Montgomery Pohlad when he smells a winner. He's pumped the cash in over the past few years, and back in the early 90s he paid real money for his World Series winner. Remember that Puckett was the highest paid player in the game one spring, and in 92 they had something like the sixth highest payroll. I like to carve on that creepy old cadaver as much as anyone, but he does deserve some credit at times.
   243. flournoy Posted: September 12, 2003 at 03:51 AM (#567779)
I believe the 8/31 deadline is only applicable to postseason rosters. You can make trades, but that guy can't be on your postseason roster, so for many teams, there is no point.
   244. Greg Franklin Posted: September 13, 2003 at 09:32 AM (#567782)
Gene, you may have missed the majestic Ross Gload thread. 28 posts. For a time we all became Gloadologists as he was passed back and forth between the Rockies and Mets.
   245. Jason Posted: November 19, 2003 at 12:07 AM (#568241)
I don't think Beane is nuts, but he does lose the best player test as Hernandez as a catcher is more valuable than Mark Kotsay. Considering when all is said and done that the salaries are essentially equal I'll go Towers on points. It's a defensible move, but if he just shifts the blackholes in the line-up around on the field what does it accomplish?
   246. AGF Posted: November 19, 2003 at 12:07 AM (#568242)
"Kotsay and his big salary"

The A's will save 4-5 million in 2005 and be able to trade Kotsay the year after, leaving money to sign Chavez and possibly Hudson.
   247. Depot Posted: November 19, 2003 at 12:12 AM (#568243)
So ZiPS seems to think that Melhuse will (rate-wise) outplay Hernandez?
   248. Walt Davis Posted: November 19, 2003 at 12:23 AM (#568244)
Pretty even trade, though I like the way the money works out for the A's. My biggest concern from the Padres' standpoint is their OF ... Klesko/Nady/Giles sounds like the OF from hell from the defensive standpoint. They better focus on a high-K, groundball-oriented staff.
   249. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 19, 2003 at 12:51 AM (#568247)
I like it better for the Padres, but it's hard to judge Oakland's end without knowing their Plan B behind the dish. My big concern for SD is that a Nady, Giles, Klesko/Nevin OF could be pretty rough on defense.
   250. bob mong Posted: November 19, 2003 at 01:25 AM (#568249)
The A's will save 4-5 million in 2005 and be able to trade Kotsay the year after

That may be true...but a lot can happen in two years. I wouldn't be so sure that they can trade what will then be a 30-year old CF, who will be making $5.5M, and free up a lot of salary. Plus said CF currently has a career line of .281/.338/.418.

He improves the As outfield, but I think the Padres won this trade. Not by a lot, mind you, but they won.
   251. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 19, 2003 at 03:51 AM (#568257)
PNC's got a relatively difficult LF, and if a defensive metric doesn't correct for it, a LF playing there will grade out as worse than he really is. That said, it doesn't look to me (subjectively) like Giles had as much lateral range this year as he had displayed in the past, which is a problem in a CF.
   252. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 19, 2003 at 03:57 AM (#568258)
My thoughts on the Padres OF are that a) we have no idea how the new ballpark is going to play, and b) we won't know for several years at least, since two or three skinny highrises are expected to be built beyond the outfield fence in the next few years. Kevin Towers' approach to that conundrum, based on comments he made to several hundred fans at a ballpark tour last Saturday, is to concentrate on groundball pitchers.

Hello Greg Maddux?

OTOH, I could be misinterpreting things. We Towers strongly hinted that a catcher would be acquired by trade rather than free agency, I figured it would be Kendall.
   253. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 19, 2003 at 03:58 AM (#568259)
When Towers....
   254. Lester Posted: November 19, 2003 at 05:07 AM (#568260)
On another thread someone mentioned that Kotsay has an escalator clause in his contract that makes his deal one for 3 years at $19.5 million if he's traded. Question: If he were put on waivers a la Manny at 3yrs/19.5 mil, would he even get claimed? Maybe the loser in the Mike Cameron sweepstakes would, but I doubt it - particularly given the down market and Kotsay's history of back problems.

I guess this just shows how awful Terrence Long and his contract truly are. The A's had to give up Hernandez and take a player with an iffy contract just to get rid of the bum. A buddy of mine who's an A's fan the other day was hoping his team might fleece the Cubs with Hernandez for Hee Soop Choi. So much for that.
   255. pyrite Posted: November 19, 2003 at 06:56 AM (#568262)
ESPN says the deal is pending Kotsay negotiating an extension, which sounds odd.

Still, something is holding this thing up. Maybe Kotsay is upset about being left standing in San Diego's musical outfielders. He can't be thrilled to be leaving his hometown team right before the new stadium opens.
   256. natrone Posted: November 19, 2003 at 02:45 PM (#568266)
In his Florida days Kotsay had an incredible arm, at least to watch. I don't know how effective it was, but that's beside my point: I think a strong-armed outfielder's throws to third or home are among the most attractive plays in baseball, so this trade will make up (aesthetically) for the potential loss of Jose Guillen, whose chucks to third when viewed from the right field bleachers in the A's games in Fenway were absolutely gorgeous.

Kotsay's spent his entire career in very poor hitters' parks, FWIW.
   257. pyrite Posted: November 19, 2003 at 06:29 PM (#568272)
I'm going to go out on a limb with a prediction:

The A's trade for Craig Wilson of the Pirates to be their new catcher/misfit toy.

It makes sense. The A's trade Ramon Hernandez to the one spot where the Pirates could have dumped Kendall, rendering Mr. Wilson's catching ability almost irrelevant for the Pirates. They don't like his defense at 1B or RF -- even though it seems acceptable -- and don't see him as an everyday player. He's arb eligible for the first time this winter so he'll still be pretty cheap.

Maybe it won't happen, but I'd guess that the A's were thinking about it when they made this deal. A cheap catcher going into his age-27 year with a career line of 272/364/496 despite irregular playing time? A native Californian who plays chess with Matt Stairs before games? As a Pirates fan, I'll miss him, but he deserves a shot as an everyday player.

My magic hot stove 8-ball says: "All signs point to Oakland."
   258. AGF Posted: November 19, 2003 at 07:45 PM (#568276)
Lee Sinins is reporting that the A's might go after Kendall with the Pirates picking up 18 mil. of his contract...Pretty cool if true, but I wonder how that leaves them in terms of signing Chavez and Hudson.
   259. AGF Posted: November 19, 2003 at 07:57 PM (#568277)
Let me revise that a little bit:

If the A's can get Kendall for 6 million a year he might be very tradeable next year when Jeremy Brown might be ready and when Chavez needs the extension.
   260. True Blue n/k/a "DeJesusFreak" Posted: November 20, 2003 at 12:37 AM (#568279)
Not that this will or should happen, but what's up with Benito Santiago now? Did he retire?
   261. Lester Posted: November 20, 2003 at 06:55 PM (#568281)
From an ESPN article today:

"According to The Chronicle, Kotsay will get an automatic $1 million extra per year because he was traded; the A's are scheduled to pay him $6.5 million a season for the next three seasons. An additional clause in his contract stipulates that because Kotsay was traded, each remaining year becomes a player option -- so Kotsay could declare free agency after any of them."
   262. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 21, 2003 at 12:39 AM (#568285)
Here's a link to Ohtsuka's stats. Dig that control, daddy-o!
   263. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: November 29, 2003 at 03:33 AM (#568880)
Is Kevin Towers thinking that having a bevy of spare outfielders (Hunter, Kingsale, Brian Buchanan, Terrence Long, Your Name Here) will provide him with leverage when he attempts to sign someone who can actually play center?

Or is this just Towers' standard operating procedure of bringing in a lot of low risk-low reward guys in the hope that the best of the bunch will have a good enough season that he can be flipped to a contender at the trade deadline?
   264. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: November 29, 2003 at 03:55 AM (#568881)
It's Brian Lee Hunter

Brian Ronald Hunter has been out of organized baseball since 2000.

The Majors should pass a mandate for things like this. The first guy with the name (in this case, Brian Ronald Hunter) can choose to keep his name, or use a nickname if another guy with the name comes in.

Sorta like what they do in Japan with players with the same last name. The player with seniority keeps his last name and the others use their first name.

If I played on a team with Rickey Henderson, I'd take a nickname over an inital and 'Henderson' on my jersey
   265. Walt Davis Posted: November 29, 2003 at 04:19 AM (#568882)
Arby's does a fine milk shake these days.
   266. Enrico Palazzo Posted: November 30, 2003 at 06:30 AM (#568884)
Hank Greenwald has an anectdote in his book about how Frank Robinson never minded being "F. Robinson" on the Orioles, when Brooks was the other Robinson, but as manager of the Giants, he was slightly miffed that pitcher Jeff Robinson forced him to have the first initial on his jersey.
   267. Buddha Posted: November 30, 2003 at 09:51 PM (#568885)
Any coincidence that the Padres recently hired Randy Smith?
   268. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 03, 2003 at 05:44 AM (#568890)
That implies that Britney Spears has value with her looks. I don't know if I can agree with that statement.
   269. Old Matt Posted: December 03, 2003 at 09:19 PM (#568892)
Hunter can still run. He is a streaky player who can slap out 4 hits one night and none the next. Keep in mind that Jimmy Williams never let people steal bases in Boston or Houston, which is what Hunter is good at. If Bochy lets him play, Brian gets on base, and is allowed to run -- it could be interesting. He is an above average defensive outfielder as well.
   270. Old Matt Posted: December 03, 2003 at 10:01 PM (#568894)
Hey now - it's all about risk versus reward. Probably very little risk -- with some upside on the reward. If given the chance - Hunter can do well. Keep in mind that he has won two stolen base titles...although his best year was in 97. Who knows - I am optimistic.
   271. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 08, 2003 at 02:04 AM (#569369)
Sweet. I'm sure that's a bit more than Towers wanted to pay, and the fact he was willing to suggests he realizes how vital it is to establish a winning tradition in the new ballpark. There's nothing worse than getting a new ballpark and sucking, because you can't erase that bad first impression you make on the fans. Baptize the ballpark with lots of wins, however, and folks will be eager to go, adding to your bottom line. And winning and money are both good ways to attract talent to your club.
   272. White Sox Fan Posted: December 19, 2003 at 03:23 PM (#570552)
Did the Padres sign somebody? I wish someone would tell us when that happened...
   273. Geoff Young Posted: December 19, 2003 at 04:17 PM (#570553)
You're a lot more optimistic about Valdes than I am, as I actually like the Hitchcock signing better. Valdes has had an ERA better than the 2004 projection just twice in the past four years. All of his ratios are going in the wrong direction.

Quick and dirty comp of Hitchcock and Valdes over the past four years prorated to 200 IP:

IP H HR BB SO ERA H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
   274. Dr. Vaux Posted: December 19, 2003 at 10:47 PM (#570557)
I'm a bit worried that San Diego isn't a pitcher's park anymore... though it won't probably be as bad for Valdes as Texas was. BTW, are those projections using the Texas park factor, or a neutral/league-average one? (since, of course, park factors for 'Petco' have yet to be established)
   275. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: December 20, 2003 at 06:42 PM (#570560)
Vaux, I share your concerns about whether Petco will favor pitchers as much as the Qualisseum, but the dimensions are pretty big, especially to right where the prevailing winds should go. The thing is, everyone will be jumping to conclusions by the All-Star break about how the new park plays, and they'll be dead wrong. First, because that's too small a sample size to tell anything. And second, because the high rises beyond the OF fences won't be completed for another 1-2 years, and they could greatly affect the way flyballs carry.

It won't surprise me if we end up with some narrow "wind tunnel" areas aligned with the gaps between buildings, while 20 feet away the air is dead, or swirling. In any case, park factors for the first several years at Petco should be taken with a larger than usual grain of salt.

Oh, and STL, I couldn't agree more that upgrading the training staff would be the best move the Padres could make.
   276. fables of the deconstruction Posted: January 02, 2004 at 01:15 AM (#570964)
Hey Guys,

Look! A clean slate for more fat jokes.

------------
   277. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 02, 2004 at 01:54 AM (#570965)
Two years in a row he cuts out on a verbal agreement and signs elsewhere. Sounds like a great, trustworthy guy.
   278. b Posted: January 02, 2004 at 01:56 AM (#570966)
Let's see...a 41 year old coming off his second back surgery or the 38th and 42nd picks in the draft. That's a tough choice...
   279. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: January 02, 2004 at 02:12 AM (#570967)
I thought it was 3 draft picks
   280. Geoff Young Posted: January 02, 2004 at 03:02 AM (#570968)
I believe the Pads only give up their second-round pick because they're in the top half of the first round. Okay, they're in the top one of the first round.
   281. Geoff Young Posted: January 02, 2004 at 03:05 AM (#570969)
Also, I'm a little suprised to see that you have Wells allowing 16 fewer hits and shaving 0.61 off his ERA on moving from Yankee Stadium to Petco.
   282. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: January 02, 2004 at 03:17 AM (#570970)
I can't speak for Dan, but I imagine that has a lot to do with the "no more Jeter, Soriano, or Bernie Williams attempting to play defense behind him" factor.

Or maybe ZiPS isn't that sophisticated.
   283. Elvis Posted: January 02, 2004 at 03:40 AM (#570972)
The Pads only lose their second round pick for this signing. The sandwich round pick is created by the league - it was never the team's to lose.

If you're going to criticize every move made by the people whose lives you wish you had, Dan, at least learn the damn rules.
   284. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: January 02, 2004 at 06:49 AM (#570975)
"Speaking of that, it's gonna be great entertainment to see Boomer running the bases. If he actually gets on base that is."

His double to left against the Cubs (or possibly Reds) this year was good fun to watch.
   285. Jose Molina wants a nickname like ARod Posted: January 02, 2004 at 09:24 AM (#570978)
'Competitive cycle?' What, can't use 'success cycle' because it's a prospectus word? That would be implicit acknowledgement that they've produced something of value?
   286. Dr. Vaux Posted: January 02, 2004 at 10:04 AM (#570979)
Just ran the numbers-- Dan's projections + my playing-time adjustments (and a couple of other adjustments on the Dodgers). Padres 90-72, Dodgers and Giants both 85-77.
   287. JRVJ (formerly Delta Socrates) Posted: January 02, 2004 at 02:14 PM (#570981)
My understanding (from a Pinstripped bible of a few weeks back), is tha the Yankees were up a couple of solid draft picks this year from the Pettitte signing. In addition, losing Wells gives them more talent to pick.

Could it be that the Yankees decided that it was better to lose Boomer (since they already lost Pettitte and he was a 1-year rental at best) and bolster their draft and weak farm system?

Even if they did not plant it that way, that is how it might play out.
   288. JRVJ (formerly Delta Socrates) Posted: January 02, 2004 at 02:16 PM (#570982)
My understanding (from a Pinstripped bible of a few weeks back), is that the Yankees were up a couple of solid draft picks this year from the Pettitte signing. In addition, losing Wells gives them more draft picks to get some young talent.

Could it be that the Yankees decided that it was better to lose Boomer (since they already lost Pettitte and he was a 1-year rental at best) and bolster their draft and weak farm system?

Even if the Yankees did not plan things this way, it just might play out this way.
   289. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 02, 2004 at 04:12 PM (#570984)
"Also, I'm a little suprised to see that you have Wells allowing 16 fewer hits and shaving 0.61 off his ERA on moving from Yankee Stadium to Petco."

DIPS is really, really uncharitable toward NY's defense. The projections for Andy Pettitte and Jeff Weaver also showed significant, suprising improvement when they went to new teams.
   290. Ziggy Posted: January 02, 2004 at 11:03 PM (#570988)
You guys are surprised that he'll have a lower ERA? Guys, PETCO is HHHHUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE!!!!
   291. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: January 05, 2004 at 03:08 AM (#570993)
...John Moores...may or may not wish to own the Padres in the long term.

Since he's gone well past the IRS's 5 year limit on claiming "depreciation" on ballplayers' contracts, I'll give him credit for long term already. But if your point is that perhaps he's planning to cash out now that he's added a downtown ballpark to the value of the franchise, well, I can only hope not.

I like the logic of your final paragraph, but wouldn't signing Maddux or Mike Cameron have been an even greater net positive? (If Towers had changed horses from pursuing Maddux to inking Wells before Cameron signed elsewhere, could the Padres have gotten him? Ahh, to dream....)
   292. Geoff Young Posted: January 05, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#570994)
Yason, you make a good point. Unfortunately, I question whether signing a 41-year-old with a bad back is the way to send the message that they're making a move.

This certainly isn't what I had in mind.
   293. BrandonMO (U L) Posted: January 07, 2004 at 06:59 AM (#571096)
will Wiki Gonzalez be a backup catcher or a relief pitcher?
   294. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 07, 2004 at 07:10 AM (#571097)
I think the Padres gain a roster spot or two, so they win by default, assuming the money's even.

I was surprised Faison took such a large step back last year. He was almost starting to look fringe prospecty in '02, and then he drops 200 points of OPS repeating a level? Oy.
   295. jwb Posted: January 07, 2004 at 08:10 AM (#571098)
This trade keeps gaing more bodies.
   296. jeff angus Posted: January 07, 2004 at 05:32 PM (#571101)
The Seattle rag reported a few days ago at:
   297. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: January 08, 2004 at 04:51 AM (#571112)
Jarvis shouldn't make the big club, though he might well, but he'd be a solid pitcher to have down in Tacoma--someone you can call up at need without caring one way or another what it does to their future, which is a useful commodity.

I'm pretty certain Jarvis is long since out of options. So how does that work? I think the M's have to offer him to every team in the majors before demoting him -- which is pretty safe if his current contract is attached, but no good if the other teams can grab him for the minimum. There's a contract primer that would tell me how it works, but I can't find it.

Anybody?
   298. Matthew E Posted: January 08, 2004 at 05:45 PM (#571184)
Wilson will be missed in Toronto. He's not much with the glove behind the plate, but he won't kill you either. He's somewhat decent at first base, he'll take a walk and has a bit of power. He's worth having around.
   299. Walt Davis Posted: January 08, 2004 at 09:47 PM (#571116)
but if he turns it around even a bit he'll be a step up from hansen.

No, not really. He'd have to turn it around quite a bit. His OPS+ the last two years have been 74 and 50 -- that's Tony Womack territory. Hansen's OPS+ (in limited time, mostly against righties) have been 107 and 90 -- nothing to get worked up about, but a long way up from Cirillo.

Also Cirillo has 1 career game at 2B since 95, it's unlikely he'd be anything close to adequate there now at age 34. And while he'd probably be a fine defensive replacement at 1B, you'd never want him to start a game there.

Which isn't to say this is bad for the Padres. I guess trading 3 lousy players for one lousy player is always a good move as long as the money works out.
   300. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: January 11, 2004 at 02:55 AM (#571003)
KT's mom:
Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.