Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Transaction Oracle > Discussion
Transaction Oracle
— A Timely Look at Transactions as They Happen

Saturday, January 10, 2004

San Francisco Giants

Signed P Brett Tomko to a 1-year contract, $1.5 million contract.

Good thing Brian Sabean didn’t waste $1.5 million on one of those evil, child-molesting draft picks when a player the caliber of Tomko can be acquired for the same price.  If Sabean’s really having trouble figuring out what to do with the saved draft pick money, I can think of better uses than Brett Tomko, such as hiring someone to dub the entire run of Mama’s Family into Mandarin Chinese.

Most mediocre pitchers are able to sneak above league-average once in a while, but Tomko’s proven devilishly skillful at avoiding that nasty fate since his rookie year, maxing out at an ERA+ of 97 in 1998.  Tomko has even proven impervious to ballpark effects, allowing 66 homers in the last 2 years playing at Qualcomm and Busch.

People say that ballplayers are spoiled nowadays, especially the stars.  Brian Sabean has decided to change that and has dedicated the 2004 season to making sure Barry Bonds knows what it feels like to be working in a waste treatment plant.

Tomko, Brett - 2004 ZiPS Projection
———————————————————————-
W   L   G GS   IP   H   ER HR BB SO   ERA
———————————————————————-
9 11 31 30 196 208 102 29 58 113 4.68

Dan Szymborski Posted: January 10, 2004 at 06:41 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4
   301. Ben Posted: January 11, 2004 at 08:48 AM (#571354)
As always, you retards defending the "give away your first round pick" philosphy miss the point: You don't need to sign anybody, and you get a supplemental first rounder for not signing your first rounder.

Plus, Mr. Spleen, you don't seem to understand the way signing bonuses work. There's no such thing as first round money. You could pick 3rd round talent and pay him 3rd round money, or pick a guy who slid due to signability concerns and pay him top 5 money.
   302. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 11, 2004 at 03:31 PM (#571356)
I guess there's a chance Tomko turns things around, but I would've leaned toward Stephenson instead. He's still on the market, right?
Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.