Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Monday, December 03, 2001

Baseball Primer’s 2001 American League MVP Award

Our picks.

The MVP is debated all the time. Often the MVP is a clear choice. Most of the   time there is a good pick along with some other mentionables. From time to time,   there will be no right answer ? or many right answers, depending on whom you   ask. The 2001 AL MVP will be one of the races that falls into the latter category.??

Player   

Total

1st

Ballots

Jason Giambi   

Alex Rodriguez

Bret Boone     

Roberto Alomar    

Jim Thome     

Manny Ramirez   

Edgar Martinez  

Ichiro Suzuki    

Juan Gonzalez  

Derek Jeter     

Bernie Williams  

Joe Mays      

Freddy Garcia    

Carlos Delgado   

Eric Chavez    

Magglio Ordonez   

Mike Cameron   

Mark Mulder    

Mike Mussina   

Mariano Rivera    

Frank Catalanotto 

Corey Koskie    

Rafael Palmeiro  

Among the Primer voters, the top choice was clear   ? Jason Giambi won handily, getting 8 of 11 first place votes. In a submission   reminiscent of 1941, Giambi was left off one voter?s ballot entirely. The voter   swears it was an oversight, but I think it is more deeply rooted in his passion   for Doug Mientkewicz. Three players got first place votes: Giambi, Alex Rodriguez   and Bret Boone.??

Giambi?s season was marvelous. He was the best hitter   not named Barry Bonds. Giambi hit .?? 342/.?? 477/.?? 660, leading the league   in slugging and on-base percentage. He did that while playing in one of the   league?s toughest hitting parks. He also outpaced other first basemen at the   same rate that Alex Rodriguez outpaced the other shortstops. Giambi?s offense   was that dominant. Practically every measure of players has Giambi at the top   of the list, and the Primer contingent concurred. There is no defensive component   to most rankings, outside of position comparisons on offense. Giambi has his   detractors for his defensive work, but this season, he was solid with the glove,   and in the top two or three in the AL at first base.

Alex Rodriguez received two first place votes. He   posted offensive offensive numbers at shortstop. He dominated his position again.   ARod finished second in most offensive rankings, about 10 runs behind Giambi   (adjusted for position). Rodriguez signed a huge contract and came through on   his end of the bargain. He also played an outstanding shortstop. ARod, in my   estimation, is underrated. How that can be when he is considered one of the   top two or three players in baseball is based mostly in just how much better   he is than his peers. Rodriguez is a great hitter. He?s top five in the AL without   positional adjustments. His production as a shortstop is unheard of. He has   already posted three of the top eight seasons for a shortstop ever. On top of   that dominance, Rodriguez is an excellent fielder at the most difficult position.   When a shortstop hits as well as a first baseman and plays stellar defense,   he?s the MVP ? usually.

Bret Boone has really gotten the shaft in Seattle.   His excellent season was oft recognized, but Ichiro Suzuki?s press overshadowed   his MVP candidacy. Suzuki had a good season, and garnered a few votes, but Boone   turned in a season that was incredible. Boone?s production from the second base   position was one of the top three seasons in the league. Boone was the MVP of   the Mariners? incredible season. It?s definitely a function of alien possession,   but Boone deserves recognition for an awesome season.??

Ichiro finished 8th on our ballots, and   third on the Mariners? team.

Chris Dial Posted: December 03, 2001 at 06:00 AM | 2 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Eric Enders Posted: December 03, 2001 at 01:16 AM (#604377)
Hey Chris,
It looks like my ballot wasn't included in the tabulation for some reason. I can tell because I gave an 8th-place vote to Magglio Ordonez and a 10th-place vote to Arthur Rhodes, neither of which shows up... anyway, in case anyone cares, here's the whole thing:

1. Jason Giambi
2. Roberto Alomar
3. Bret Boone
4. Alex Rodriguez
5. Jim Thome
6. Ichiro Suzuki
7. Juan Gonzalez
8. Magglio Ordonez
9. Roger Clemens
10. Arthur Rhodes
   2. scruff Posted: December 03, 2001 at 01:16 AM (#604379)
I know I'm just the new guy, but . . . the numbers definitely look a little screwy. Joe Mays has 12 points and is only on one ballot? There are only 106 total people on ballots when it should be 110. I think there might be some typos, etc. in there. The total points do add up though.

Also, if Giambi's being left off was an oversight, how come we didn't correct it?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October
for his generous support.