Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Thursday, February 05, 2004

The 2003 Baseball Primer Primeys

Vote early, but not often for the premier on-line baseball awards.

Primey Balloting has closed

Thank you for your interest in the Primey’s.  Check back later for
results to the balloting for the 2003 awards.

The comments below are related to the no longer active ballot.

Dan 'The Boy' Werr Posted: February 05, 2004 at 06:00 AM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. RickG Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614590)
I was disappointed to discover that I had not posted in a single one of the nominated threads. I guess I'm barely above a Replacement Level Primate. However, I will outlive my usefulness and my career will last longer than it should because of percieved ability about my chatting skills over mIRC.

I'm Tony freaking Womack.
   2. Scott Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614593)
Yeah, can I cast a write-in vote for Gleeman too?
   3. Lester Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614597)
Agree about Aaron's blog.
   4. Devin has a deep burning passion for fuzzy socks Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614599)
I don't have hard evidence to back it up, but I'm pretty sure Aaron doesn't post links to his own entries on Clutch Hits. If one of the other Primer honchos think one of Aaron's entries is worth reading, why not post it? And it really doesn't happen all that much (although it's been a little more common lately)
   5. Scott Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614600)
how is it, everytime Aaron thinks he had a minor brainstorm, he feels the need to post his blog onto Cluth Hits?

I just checked: The last three times Aaron's Blog has been on clutch hits, it's been Repoz, not Aaron, who posted it.

Aaron hasn't been posting about his own blog; it's smoeone else. And Billy Beane didn't write Moneyball either; it's someone else.
   6. tangotiger Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614602)
Let me just start the echo to thank Dan and his team for their hard work in sifting and compiling all the nominations. Like an umpire, it's a thankless job.
   7. bob mong Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614603)
Let me just start the echo to thank Dan and his team for their hard work in sifting and compiling all the nominations. Like an umpire, it's a thankless job.

As a member of Dan's Team (we even have a secret handshake), you're welcome. It may be a largely thankless task, but that certainly doesn't mean it wasn't a total blast. We got to read (almost) all the nominated funny posts and serious posts, we got to check out many many baseball blogs, read lots of extremely cool articles, etc. - in other words, we got to read lots of stuff, most of it very funny and/or good, that didn't make it to the final ballot. It was a bit time consuming but loads of fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
   8. Kurt Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:07 AM (#614604)
Hey, how come Angry Boris was not nominated for anything?

Check this out - it sure was, uh, notable:

http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/gleeman_2003-06-12_0.shtml

--Kurt
   9. Marc Posted: February 06, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614606)
And what about the drunk Cub fan after the Bartman play. That was even funnier than Darren.
   10. Greg Pope thinks the Cubs are reeking havoc Posted: February 07, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614608)
Aaron is listed as a Baseball Primer author, so he's probably not eligible.

Also, while the other humorous posts were funny, Darren getting married actually made me laugh out loud at work, which is not a good thing for me, but is worthy of the Primey for Darren.
   11. Dan 'The Boy' Werr Posted: February 08, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614610)

I appreciate that, Tango. I hope you consider it a small bit of payback for all the hard work you and others put into the analysis and writing we're honoring here. If nothing else, I hope this makes all your work a little less thankless.
   12. Steve Posted: February 09, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614613)
No Offense to Gleeman, but Pinto, Mike C, and Alex Belth of Bronx Banter are far better bloggers. Pinto is more consistently informative and insightful, Belth is the best pure writer of the bunch, and Mike C is entertaining and well statistically tenacious and profuse.

Gleeman may well evolve into the best blogger but at this point he's too long winded and self aggrandizing.
   13. MGL Posted: February 09, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614617)
I appreciate that, Tango. I hope you consider it a small bit of payback for all the hard work you and others put into the analysis and writing we're honoring here. If nothing else, I hope this makes all your work a little less thankless.

That's nice to hear. Some of us put in an incredible amount of time to share some darn good quality and voluminous work with the Primer community. Granted we do it because we like and want to. It does seem thankless sometimes, as the more you put out, the more you get critcized, sometimes mercilessly. People often forget that we are doing this for free and ultimately for the benefit of the Primer (and the free world) community.

When we mercilessly criticize some of the writers on the web and in the newspapers (and on radio and TV), besides the fact that the quality of their work is so often objectively poor, the fact that that is their job and they get paid for it, is usually enough to justify the criticism. IOW, I think there SHOULD be somewhat of a double standard (of course critcism of the free stuff provided on Primer is invaluable and welcome too).

Anyway, I ditto Tango's thanks.
   14. Chris Dial Posted: February 09, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614621)
Er, thanks, Dan...
   15. Eli Hungerford: Cityboy Crypto-Elitist for hire Posted: February 10, 2004 at 04:08 AM (#614627)
My God, how did I miss the Angry Boris thread? It defies description. I, for one, have a lingering suspicion that he's related to our good friend William Shakespeare.

http://baseballprimer.com/clutch/archives/00010220.shtml

Oh, and the Kelsey Grammar Police post in PETCO is fantastic.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Randy Jones
for his generous support.