Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Thursday, February 26, 2004

The Envelope Please…

Dan’s tallied the votes and named the Primey Award winners.  Please keep acceptance speeches to 5 paragraphs or less.

The votes are in, and the winners of the 2003 Primey Awards—the ultimate awards for baseball analysis, research, and writing on the Internet—have been determined.  Thanks to everyone who voted and submitted nominations.

Certain people and sites were excluded from some categories based on their affiliation with Baseball Primer, including Baseball-Reference.com, Aaron’s Baseball Blog, Batter’s Box, and Replacement Level Yankees Weblog.  We do acknowledge that those sites are the best or among the very best of their kind.

Think we missed something?  Or just want to make sure the best content is recognized for 2004?  Send in your nominations today to primey@baseballprimer.com.  We are always accepting nominations.

Here are the complete 2003 Primey Award results:

1. Best Baseball Site - News/Analysis:

1.   51.9%   Baseball Prospectus
2.   27.3%   ESPN.com
3.   10.1%   Rotoworld.com
4.    9.0%   BaseballAmerica.com
5.    1.6%   Strikethree.com

2. Best Baseball Site - Stats/Reference:

1.   47.9%   Retrosheet
2.   30.7%   Baseball Prospectus
3.   11.5%   The Baseball Archive (includes the Lahman Database)
4.    7.4%   BaseballAmerica.com
5.    2.6%   Astros Daily Stats (includes Astros Statistical Software)

3. Best Baseball Site - Weblog:

1.   36.3%   Baseball Musings
2.   21.0%   Doug's Business of Baseball Weblog
3.   20.9%   Thoughts from Diamond Mind
4.   14.9%   U.S.S.   Mariner
5.    6.9%   The Humbug Journal

4. Best Baseball Writer:

1.   39.4%   Rob Neyer
2.   29.7%   Steven Goldman
3.   20.8%   Joe Sheehan
4.    6.8%   Derek Zumsteg
5.    3.3%   Jim Baker

5. Best Internet Baseball Article:

1.   31.0%   "The Trading Desk" - Michael Lewis
2.   28.7%   "Hidden humility" - Dan Le Batard
3.   26.8%   "DePodesta learning his craft with A's" - Rob Neyer
4.   13.5%   "Halls of Relief" Series - Mike Carminati, Mike's Baseball Rants

6. Best Baseball Research Project, Non-Baseball Primer Division:

1.   34.7%   "Can pitchers prevent hits on balls in play?" - Tom Tippett, Diamond Mind Baseball
2.   33.0%   PECOTA - Nate Silver, Baseball Prospectus
3.   14.0%   Baseball Graphs - Dave Studenmund
4.   11.7%   "A Probabalistic Model of Range" - David Pinto, Baseball Musings
5.    6.6%   "Halls of Relief" Series - Mike Carminati, Mike's Baseball Rants

7. Best Baseball Research Project, Baseball Primer Division:

1.   38.8%   "And the Beat Goes On: Derek Jeter and the State of Fielding Analysis in Sabermetrics" - Mike Emeigh
2.   28.0%   Ultimate Zone Rating - Mitchel Lichtman
3.   22.5%   "Solving DIPS" - Erik Allen, Arvin Hsu, Tangotiger, et al
4.   10.7%   Defensive Regression Analysis - Michael Humphreys

8. Best Humorous Post:

1.   30.0%   A Fake Peter Gammons explains his craft - Anonymous
2.   25.8%   Jayson Stark's new rules - John K.
3.   24.5%   "Top 10 ways you know that you're too much into sabermetrics" - John Brattain
4.   13.9%   Darren gets married - Darren (Posts 19-22)
5.    5.9%   Some baseball favorites help out with tough moral issues - Martin Hemner

9. Best Serious Post:

1.   32.0%   What's right with baseball - MNP
2.   25.0%   Defensive metrics - Walt Davis
3.   22.3%   Bobby Bonds - Steve Treder
4.   11.8%   Appreciating the World Series - Bud in SF
5.    8.8%   Steroids and accomplishments - Eric in Madison

10. Best Thread:

1.   25.0%   The Petco thread
2.   24.3%   A spirited defense of Colin Farrell
3.   23.1%   DIPS analysis
4.   15.1%   MGL changes UZR methodology in response to online review
5.   12.6%   What does Shredder look like?

11. Most Informative Poster:

1.   37.6%   Tangotiger
2.   22.8%   Walt Davis
3.   18.9%   Steve Treder
4.   15.3%   MGL
5.    5.3%   MNP

Only a small percentage of the nominations we receive reach the ballot, so congratulations to all the finalists and winners.

Dan 'The Boy' Werr Posted: February 26, 2004 at 05:00 AM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. studes Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614715)
Wow. I just want to say thanks. Considering the level of competition, I'm surprised I didn't come in last.

Actually, I do think Mike was hurt by being split between two categories. I don't think his work is getting its due. And, not to sound like a sore loser, but I really didn't think Tippett said anything that Voros hadn't already covered in his second DIPS article.

The Primeys are a great public service. Thanks for all the hard work, guys.
   2. bob mong Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614718)
Dan, how many voters took part?
   3. Dan 'The Boy' Werr Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614719)
Bob, about 860 this year.
   4. The Original SJ Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614720)
I thought the Colin Farrell thread was a lock. I am shocked.
   5. bob mong Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614721)
Thanks, Dan. :)
   6. MNP Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614722)
Wow.

First, I want to thank the 32 percent of you who voted for me for "best serious post." All of the nominated posts were great, (personally, I liked Steve Treder's Bobby Bonds post the best) and it's a real honor. I suspect that, in years to come, this will be looked upon much like Zoilo Versalles' MVP award -- "Holy cow, THAT guy won an award?!?" Anyway, for now, as Sean Penn once said, "You tolerate me, you really tolerate me."

Second -- and, really, more importantly -- I want to thank the 94.7 percent of you who had the great good sense NOT to vote for me for "most informative poster." Had I won THAT, it wouldn't have been a Zoiloesque historical oddity, it would have been a [Kennedy-/Bush-esque: pick one based on your political preference] stolen and unjust election of incredible magnitude. So, I'm glad to see that good judgment prevails. And I'm indescribably honored to have been nominated for this award (thanks, Nathan) -- particularly given the company: four posters who have probably taught me as much about baseball as anyone not named Bill James.

I should acknowledge here that my nomination really is a greater credit to some other folks than it is to me. I?m new to these message board things (more on that later) and anything that has made me even a decent poster here is directly attributable to those I?ve learned from: the Treders and Werrs and Enderseses and Dan Szymborskis and MWEs and Sam Ms and Chris Dials and far too many others to mention. Any qualities I have as a member of this community I learned from you; any faults I have are my own.

Third, and really most important of all: I want to thank Primer and everyone associated with it -- founders, authors, administrators, posters, and lurkers. If there were MNP Awards, selected by me, bestowed by me, and named after me, for "most kick-ass collection of people found online," this place would win hands-down, year after year.

Primer is the only Internet message-board kind of place I post on, and one of the few I read regularly. And it's been an eye-opening experience; I never expected to find this sort of thing rewarding -- Possibly because most of my previous message-board-reading was limited to FreeRepublic.com. I have been delighted to find, in Primer, a community of enthusiastic and knowledgeable baseball fans, from whom I've learned a tremendous amount about the game I love.

But -- and this should come as no surprise to anyone who has rolled their eyes at yet another of my Non-Baseball Posts -- I wouldn't be here nearly so much if this were just a bunch of folks talking about baseball. (Sean and Jim: maybe that's all the excuse you need to crack down on off-topic posts ...)

To be sure: baseball is the primary reason we're all here. But I think many of us would agree that there's a also great deal of value in Primer as a collection of real people, with diverse and fascinating interests, abilities, hobbies, dislikes, attitudes, opinions, experiences, wisdom, problems, and personalities.

I learn not only about baseball here; I also get a better sense for the mood of the country than from any Gallup Poll ... I get better movie recommendations than from any newspaper ... I'm exposed to a wider range of musical tastes here than by listening to any radio station ... I laugh harder at things I read here than anywhere else ... and so on. And, most of all, I get the benefit of interaction with some (seemingly; you could all be axe murderers for all I know) fantastic people.

So, to all of you: to Jim & Sean for making it possible, to the authors for giving it (some) structure (and for your fantastic work), and to the hundreds of Primates who make this my most-visited, most-read, most-enjoyed, most-educational web site out there ... thank you. Not for voting for me, but for making me laugh, making me (once or twice) cry, making me learn (despite my best efforts to avoid it), for making me feel, for making me care, for making me understand, and for so much more. But, most of all, for (mostly) putting up with me.

You tolerate me. You really tolerate me.

(Yeah, I know that was too long and painful to read. But at Primer, as in life, we too rarely acknowledge ? and celebrate ? the positive things around us. I know I focus on the negative a bit too much, and wanted to take this opportunity to ac-cen-tuate the positive. I'm still working on e-lim-inating the negative ... that'll take time.)
   7. tangotiger Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614723)
Thanks to all those who voted! I certainly get back from the Primates (esp Walt Davis, my selection) alot more than I give.
   8. Chris Dial Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:09 AM (#614724)
If the winners will contact Dan (or myself), you win your preferred piece of Baseball Primer merchandise.

Maybe next year Walt and Steve will work harder to beat out Tango.

Winners (as I see it):
Rob Neyer (that Primer sweatshirt would look great on your ESPN photo)

David Smith of Retrosheet

Original BPers: Joe, Gary, Clay, Rany, Chris and/or Dave (you guys can share a thong)

David Pinto

Michael Lewis

Tom Tippett

Mike Emeigh

Anonymous (and we know it isn't you, Shredder)

MNP

Paul Mazurkiewicz (as the Nostradamus of Petco)

Tango

Congratulations! Keep up the great work!
   9. Mike Emeigh Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#614725)
When I told my wife that I'd won a Primey (and told her what a Primey was), her response was:

"I HOPE you didn't win one of those ridiculous monkeys!"

I was really tempted to ask Chris for the thong, just for her - since there's no way I could fit into one of them myself, for which the universe should be eternally grateful.

I'm grateful to Sean and Jim for providing this outlet for our creative work, to Dan S. for all the behind-the-scenes work he does to get the content, and to all of the Primates for reading and responding. I've learned as much from the commentary on what I've written as I learned from doing the research in the first place, and I think the site and the authors benefit as much from the Primates as the Primates do from the site and the authors. Thanks!

-- MWE
   10. fracas' hope springs eternal Posted: February 26, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#614727)
And, most of all, I get the benefit of interaction with some (seemingly; you could all be axe murderers for all I know) fantastic people.

Actually, we are all axe murderers -- but small sample size, you know?
   11. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: February 27, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#614728)
Darren wuz robbed.
   12. Darren Posted: February 27, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#614729)
Thank you Larry. I was robbed. All of those other posts took the easy way out by thinking of a funny idea and then writing it in a funny manner. But none had the genius that I displayed while making a stupid typo.

If anyone got robbed, it had to be MGL (no offense to Tango). His defensive stuff is amazing.

13. Murray Posted: February 27, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#614730)
Actually, it was Mike of Mike's Baseball Rants who got robbed.
   14. Rick A. Posted: February 27, 2004 at 03:10 AM (#614731)
Actually, it was Mike of Mike's Baseball Rants who got robbed.

Mike wasn't robbed. Everyone is just waiting for his last installment of the "Halls of Relief" (which he will post from his coffin in the year 2136) entitled "Halls of Relief - Super Duper Final Analysis (This time I really, really, really mean it) Pt. LXXVIII"

Just Kidding, Mike. I loved the series of articles.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.