Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Monday, April 23, 2001

April 19, 2001

Learn from the wisdom of the Transaction Oracle.

Anaheim Angels

Recalled Ps Brian Cooper and Mark Lukasiewicz from Salt Lake (AAA); activated   2B Adam Kennedy from the 15-day disabled list; optioned IFs Larry Barnes and   Jose Nieves and P Matt Wise to Salt Lake (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS:? It looks like David Eckstein has   made enough of an impression on the Angels to keep him on the roster for the   time being; I was worried that Nieves would end up staying after Kennedy?s return.?   Alfredo Griffin is now working with Eckstein on playing shortstop, so it seems   clear that Eckstein is in the Angels future plans.? Lukasiewicz is a former   Blue Jay farmhand who had been essentially staff filler for Syracuse the last   few years before escaping as a six-year minor league free agent.

Activated P Ismael Valdes from the 15-day disabled list; optioned P Brian Cooper   to Salt Lake (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS:? The Angels just had too many starters   for Cooper to hang around, especially with Scott Schoeneweis pitching well at   the present time.

Arizona Diamondbacks?????????

Placed P Mike Morgan on the 15-day disabled list; purchased the contract of   Robert Ellis from Tucson (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS: You can?t stop Mike Morgan, you can only hope to contain him.?   Ellis gets another shot at the majors (I never thought I?d hear his name again)   by having 2 excellent starts for Tucson so far this year.

Baltimore Orioles

Recalled P John Bale from Rochester (AAA); outrighted P Calvin Maduro to Rochester   (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS: The Orioles actually removed Maduro from the 40-man roster completely,   which puzzles me a bit since they were already below 40 players and weren?t   close to adding anyone (unless Jose Canseco ends up signing with the Orioles).?   Maduro?s nothing special, but neither is Bale, who was acquired by the Orioles   for Jayson Werth over the winter.?

Cleveland Indians

Signed IF Mark Lewis to a minor-league contract.

ORACLE SAYS: Looks like Lewis is heading down the Casey Candaele career path.?   With Jeff Manto and the aforementioned Candaele done, Lewis might very well   be the latest veteran the Indians keep resigning to help out at Buffalo

Los Angeles Dodgers

Fired general manager Kevin Malone.

ORACLE SAYS: I don?t know what?s sadder:? Having a general manager that picks   a fight with a fan or having to use the silly little incident to fire someone   with the track record of Kevin Malone.

Milwaukee Brewers

Optioned pitcher Ben Sheets to Indianapolis of the International League (AAA);   recalled pitcher Chad Fox from the minor league camp.

ORACLE SAYS: The Ben Sheets demotion is just a temporary one.? I?m happy to   see that Fox is getting another chance to show that his arm is healed.

Minnesota Twins

Signed outfielder Quinton McCracken to a minor league contract and assigned   him to Edmonton of the Pacific Coast League (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS: McCracken is exactly the type of player who the Twins should   not be thinking of giving playing time.? Hot start aside, the Twins are still   rebuilding and McCracken, while a handy spare outfielder-type for certain teams,   doesn?t fit very well with the Twins in my opinion.

Montreal Expos

Signed P Masato Yoshii to a one-year contract.

ORACLE SAYS: I wonder why the Pirates didn?t pick him up, hurting as they   are for starters.? Anyone?

Oakland A?s

Recalled pitcher Cory Lidle from Sacramento of the Pacific Coast League (AAA);   optioned outfielder Robin Jennings to Sacramento.

ORACLE SAYS: Lidle?s callup had been planned for some time.?

St. Louis Cardinals

Placed Mark McGwire on the 15-day disabled list with sore right knee; purchased   the contract of OF Kerry Robinson from Memphis (AAA).?

ORACLE SAYS: Not exactly a great start for McGwire.? The Cardinals really   need to start carrying a backup 1B that can hit from the start of the season   as Larry Sutton isn?t up for the job.? Will Clark worked out very well for the   Cardinals, but they can?t rely on something like that working every year.? Mario   Valdez would be a nice short-term fit for the Cardinals right now.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Announced that 2B Bobby Smith had cleared waivers   and accepted an assignment to Durham (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS: One of the last remaining players that Chuck LaMar had brought   over from the Braves on Expansion Day.? The guy most helped by this is Russ   Johnson, who should get most of Smith?s at-bats.?

Fired manager Larry Rothschild.

ORACLE SAYS: LaMar is really running out of scapegoats.? I?m not a big Rothschild   fan, but if you thought he had done a good enough job to enter the season with   the job, why would a dozen games change your mind?? If anything, not backing   down from Gerald Williams? whining and having the guts to take away Castilla?s   undeserved job should increase your performance rating.

Released P Ken Hill

ORACLE SAYS: Well, this doesn?t exactly qualify as a surprise.? Hill?s done.

Dan Szymborski Posted: April 23, 2001 at 06:00 AM | 0 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.