Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Monday, June 04, 2001

5/31/01

Learn from the wisdom of the Transaction Oracle.

Baltimore Orioles

Placed P Pat Hentgen on the 15-day DL with "tendinitis."

ORACLE SAYS:The Orioles announced that Hentgen will absolutely not have     surgery. The visit to Dr. Andrews is purely a social call.

Cincinnati Reds

Placed P Dennys Reyes on the 15-day DL with tightness in left forearm.

Transferred P John Riedling from the 15-day to the 60-day DL with strained   right shoulder.

Purchased contract of P Chris Nichting from Louisville.

Optioned P Jim Brower from Louisville.

Recalled P Jim Brower from Louisville.

ORACLE SAYS:Just the latest injuries for the Reds, who have had some terrible     luck this season. Someone once said that luck was the residue of good planning,     so perhaps it can be blamed on Bob Boone after all. As for Chris Nichting,     he’s almost certainly nicht gut despite a hot start for Louisville. Same     with Brower, but I can’t think of a bad play on words with his name at the     moment.

Colorado Rockies

Designated P John Wasdin for assignment.

Claimed P Justin Speier off waivers from the New York Mets.

ORACLE SAYS:Despite turning out to be a disappointment, it still looks     like he’s going to end up outlasting Jose Canseco.

Kansas City Royals

Recalled P Kris Wilson from Omaha (AAA) and OF Endy Chavez from Wichita (AA).   Optioned P Brian Meadows to Omaha (AAA) and designated C Sal Fasano for assignment.

ORACLE SAYS:Chavez was a Rule V pick from the New York Mets. They sent     Mike Curry to the Mets in exchange for his rights at the end of spring training     since there really wasn’t any room for him on the roster. Really fast guy     and supposed to be good defensively but I doubt that he’ll hit. I’m not     quite sure why the Royals paid money for Fasano if they were just going     to DFA him (not that I understand paying for Fasano and keeping him on your     team, mind you).

Los Angeles Dodgers

Recalled P Jesse Orosco from Las Vegas (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS:Looks like Orosco gets the last laugh over Kevin Malone after     all.

Montreal Expos

Manager Felipe Alou is relieved of duties. Jeff Torborg named manager.

P Chris Peters refused an assignment to Ottawa (AAA) and become a free agent.

ORACLE SAYS:

While to me at least, it’s been pretty clear that Alou has essentially       sat on his hands the last 3 or 4 years and it was long past time for him       to go, I’m not sure what purpose hiring Jeff Torborg serves as his only       real accomplishment as a manager was the surprise White Sox team in 1990.       He was terrible with the Mets.

He’s lefthanded and not even 30, so he’ll turn up again. Peters isn’t       quite as bad as that ERA looks.

Oakland A’s

Released Steve Schrenk.

ORACLE SAYS:Good organizational soldier over the last decade. He was bad     with the Phils last year, but I’d still like to see him get another chance.

Philadelphia Phillies

Placed P Wayne Gomes on the 15-day DL with a strained patella tendon in his   right knee.

Released Pete Rose Jr.

ORACLE SAYS:

This actually has the potential to hurt the Phillies a bit depending       on how long it takes him to recover. Gomes had been a workhorse for the       Phils bullpen, a spot which has been troublesome over the last few years.       Vincente Padilla was activated from the 15-day DL to replace Gomes.

His chances at catching up to his dad’s hit total is decreasing almost       daily. He does, however, have an equal chance at making the Hall of Fame.

San Francisco Giants

Placed OF Eric Davis on the 15-day DL with a left shoulder strain. Recalled   IF Felipe Crespo from rehab at Fresno (AAA).

Seattle Mariners

Placed P Norm Charlton on the 15-day DL; recalled P Brian Fuentes from Tacoma   (AAA).d OF Eric Davis on the 15-day DL with a left shoulder strain. Recalled   IF Felipe Crespo from rehab at Fresno (AAA).

ORACLE SAYS:

Charlton not completely stinking might be even more of a surprise than       the Mariners’ torrid start. Fuentes has been a marginal pitching prospect       (26 in August), but an interesting one. He’s been excellent this year       at Tacoma after being converted into a full-time reliever and was a candidate       to make the team instead of Charlton at the beginning of the season. He’s       not a hard thrower and he’s had injury problems, so he better seize the       opportunity while he has the chance.

St. Louis Cardinals

Activated 1B Mark McGwire from the 15-day DL. Designated IF Larry Sutton for   assignment.

ORACLE SAYS:I’m willing to wager that Mark McGwire will be a better hitter     than Larry Sutton. Sutton’s waiver-wire material, but the Cardinals still     probably should have dumped Craig Paquette first.

Texas Rangers

Claimed P Mike Judd of waivers from Tampa Bay.

Released P Jeff Brantley.

ORACLE SAYS:The Rangers are at the point at which they’ll probably make     a lot of waiver claims in trying to find someone that can help their pitching     staff, which while not a good staff by any means, is definitely worse than     expected. Judd’s not a bad gamble for a team 20 games out of first. He’s     been shelled quite a bit in the majors, but he did survive Albuquerque twice     out of three years, which makes him worth at least a look. Brantley, on     the other hand, looks about dumb; his results haven’t been horrific, but     he now has all the command of Braxton Bragg.

Toronto Blue Jays

Released P Pat Daneker.

ORACLE SAYS:Quietly released after getting murdered in 10 starts for Syracuse     this year. Perhaps he’s hiding some arm trouble.

Dan Szymborski Posted: June 04, 2001 at 06:00 AM | 1 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. scruff Posted: June 07, 2001 at 12:07 AM (#603884)
I've always said that the term tendonitis translates to: We have no clue what is wrong, but it hurts a lot. When they say a pitcher "only" has tendonitis, I wouldn't take this as "good" news.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.