Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Sunday, June 29, 2003

Bi-Weekly Review: N.L. East

The N.L. East through June 27th.

It is becoming difficult to make the bi-weekly recap for the NL East interesting.  That?s because the division itself is getting dangerously close to being less than interesting.  Not that I?m getting all cocky, with my huge Braves-fan head sucking up all of the oxygen in the room or anything, but you know, some time around June 15 it?s like "Ho hum, another year, another 5+ game cushion by the All-Star break."  I mean, yes, the Expos and Phillies are both still with "make a run" distance, but it?s getting really hot outside where I live, and that means the summer is about to swing from "what could be" to "what was," and all of this on top of the new Harry Potter book? I?m just saying it would be easier to write up the AL East, that?s all. There are only so many ways to say, "Gosh, Gary Sheffield sure can hit," and even fewer variants of "Wow, Placido Palanco can?t."

Team

W

L

Avg.

GB

Home

Road

East

Cent.

West

L10

Strk

Atlanta

-

27-12

23-15

15-16

13-4

13-3

5-5

W 1

Philadelphia

7?

23-16

19-18

17-14

8-6

11-8

8-2

W 3

Montreal

26-14

17-22

14-12

11-10

11-5

4-6

L 2

Florida

23-18

17-23

16-18

10-8

6-10

6-4

L 1

N.Y. Mets

17-20

17-23

15-17

7-10

7-9

3-7

L 2

Honesty compels me to admit that the first paragraph up there was written Tuesday night (What?s that you say Dan?  Speak up; I can?t hear you!  We must have a dead line or something?) While the Braves beat the Phillies in the opening game, the Phils regrouped and took the last two games of the series, marking the second time in two weeks that they took two of three from the Braves.  In so doing, they?ve cut their deficit from 10 games to 7.5 and overtaken Montreal for second place in the division.  Phillie fans are obviously hoping this is just the beginning of a midseason charge, while Braves fans collectively arch an uber-brow over the dust jacket and wonder if they?re going to have to start paying attention again.

The Braves are, in point of fact, in a little mini-slump offensively, with only Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, and the alien masquerading as Javy Lopez really hitting.  (Hitting doesn?t really do justice to what the Lopez clone is doing this year, but we are confined by the limitations of language.)  Robert Fick hasn?t been not hitting either, maintaining a decent if unspectacular production line, but everyone else in the lineup, including Rafeal Furcal, Marcus Giles and Gary Sheffield are struggling at the plate. 

The sudden cooling of the offense has lifted the cover on the team?s continuing pitching mediocrity, a situation John Schuerholz really ought to address in the next month.  Greg Maddux, after a couple of stellar starts that elicited premature sighs from Atlanta faithful, was hammered again in his last start and continues to be on the 37-year-old performance yo-yo.  Mike Hampton mimicked said yo-yo last time out, posting an equally poor performance, and Shane Reynolds, bless his veteran-moxie filled heart, simply can?t pitch at the major league level any more.  Without the 8 runs per game the offense was spotting him earlier this year, he?s a loss waiting to happen every time out.  The team?s continued devotion to Reynolds as a starter is beginning to challenge "Vinny Castilla, starting third baseman" for the most inexplicable thing on the planet.

Meanwhile in Philadelphia, sleeping dogs continue to stir, but do not arise.  Jim Thome posted a Jim Thome May, but has slipped back into a Travis Lee June.  While not completely disregarding his dramatics in recent games, he?s still had a poor month by his standards.  Pat Burrell on the other hand, has had a poor everything by most anyone?s standard, and continues to do so.

The team?s recent push into second place is a result of crazy production out of bit players more so than return to form by the expected boppers.  Tomas Perez and Nick Punto have been mad havoc while splitting time at second.  Marlon Byrd has been outstanding in CF (just like I said he would?) Bobby Abreu rediscovered his stroke.  And Todd Pratt homered at a convenient time.

Also, Vicente Padilla apparently bought a lot of AOL/TW stock, because he absolutely owns the Braves.  Kevin Millwood, not so much.

What will be interesting down the stretch, aside from whatever run Philly makes for the division, will be how things shake out in the wild card hunt.  The Phils currently stand two games behind Los Angeles for the final playoff spot.  It is very, very early to be talking about wild card standings, I know, but should the Phils not have the gas to overtake the Braves in the division but still manage to make the playoffs, there is a very real 1997 vibe to things then.  With Padilla playing the role of Kevin Brown and Thome replacing Gary Sheffield, there?s a lot about the Phillies that recalls the ?97 Marlins.  Right down to the "maybe not over the complete season, but in head-to-head we?ll beat you" set up so far.

Montreal is still owned by the other 29 teams.  They sit only a half game behind the Phillies, which might suggest that they?re deserving of equal treatment with regard to catching the Braves and/or the wild card berth, but the fact of the matter is they?ve been sitting right there, 8-10 games back, since May, and until they start moving one way or the other they are, on the field, much like they are in the owners box; lame ducks, sitting around doing much of nothing.  They made a half-hearted swipe at acquiring Juan Gonzalez, though no one is sure where they were planning on playing him, and of course, MLB knew very well the unlikelihood of Gonzalez accepting that trade in the first place.  Maybe I?m just being pessimistic and cynical, but the entire exchange smells.  Certainly, should the Expos have actually acquired Gonzalez, put him in LF and moved Brad Wilkerson to CF, their offense would have been much improved (though they?d likely have been down Javier Vasquez, who seems to me to be the only reasonable return-value for the Rangers in that deal.)

Still, until something noticeably interesting happens, one way or the other (and "trades in principal" are not particularly interesting until they actually happen "in fact") Montreal seems less and less like a player in the division, and more like a placeholder.

In Florida they have the leading candidate for Rookie of the Year in Dontrelle Willis.  In that he is an apparently talented young man, with charisma and energy to spare, he is a great story.  Willis is compared, most often (that I see) to Fernando Valenzuela, for both is odd mechanics as well as his on-field behaviors.  That?s not a bad comparison, and it?s clear that sportswriters are trying to paint the kid in the good light with it.  Nevertheless, being the contrarian that I am, I see a little bit of another animated, odd-delivery left-hander in him.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

Which brings us, finally, to the Mets.  I have considered of late becoming a Mets fan.  I find that the aspect about baseball that I enjoy the most is the hot-stove leagues, where possible free agent acquisitions fly and how-to-get-better trades soar, where deep knowledge of a team?s system allows you to project possible future stars (or just future stop-gaps) while building a competitive team around them, and there?s always some tantalizing what-if lurking just over the horizon.  As a Mets fan, I would be able to enjoy this activity 10 months per year, as there is only ever a 2 month window where I?d be concerned about the play of the current model.

The downside of becoming a Mets fan, of course, would be the requirement of having to occasionally watch the Mets play baseball.

Jose Reyes is up.  This is, in short, the extent of the good news for Mets fans.  When a guy hitting 226/231/355 is the good news, you need to start looking at the 2004 free agent lists.  Okay, okay, Aaron Heilman had a very good debut too, and Cliff Floyd is pretty much worth the money they?re paying him.  And Ty Wigginton looks like a decent three-year player at 3B, and Jae Weong Seo, until Dontrelle Willis popped up, was having a ROY contention season.  So there is hope for the believers.  But it is at least a year or two away.

Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: June 29, 2003 at 06:00 AM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. John Posted: June 30, 2003 at 02:23 AM (#611955)
I understand that you are a Braves fan and thus only half-heartedly interested in anything outside of the Braves, but the trade was pretty firmly set as Seung Song, John McKinley, and a PTBNL who was surmised to be a player drafted by the Expos who the Rangers wanted but couldn't trade for outright because drafted players must remain with the selecting organization for 1 year.

Gonzalez would have allowed the Expos to move either Endy Chavez or Wil Cordero out of the lineup with Wilkerson moving to either CF or 1B. Don't count the Expos out yet on the trade front, there are a number of teams equally desperate to dumb off a aged star with a significant multi-year contract for next to nothing and even pay the full salary for '03. Give them a player as good as Gonzalez to replace Cordero/Chavez and you have a much better offense especially once Guererro gets back.
   2. Darren Posted: June 30, 2003 at 02:23 AM (#611964)
On Reyes, the Mets are now saying he's here to stay.

Which leads me to the question: What could Reyes have done that would have gotten him demoted?

He has 6 errors in 18 games, hitting around .200 with no power and no walks. He is 1-3 in SB (though an ESPN article tells me he can "steal at will," must have no will power). And he's made some bone-headed plays.

There's no doubt that this guys belongs in AAA at the highest and AA is probably a better bet. His presence in the majors makes no sense.
   3. a different Terry Posted: July 01, 2003 at 02:24 AM (#611988)
I love that image of Braves fans looking up over reading glasses over their thick pile of summer reading--so apt.

I echo the previous poster's comments about the Phils' offensive offense. From a look at the stats on Sunday, they START two of the league's worst four hitters with the minimum number of qualifying at-bats.

Re: your Phils as '97 Marlins analogy: My theory has been all season that the Braves and the Phillies have switched roles. The Phillies are behaving just like a lot of Braves teams in the 90s--treading water offensively while the pitching keeps them in it, waiting until the offense kicks in in mid-July. The added drag of what amounts to an extra Vinny Castilla in the lineup just adds to the level of difficulty, but I've seen this before. I think if the Phillies got off to the Braves' start few would have been surprised.

Apropos of nothing, but Burrell seems to be inhabited by the ghost of J.R. Phillips. What a lost season he's putting together. I saw the man at the Home Opener and if he's changed anything from that putrid performance, I can't tell. It's like his bat is a machete and he's confronted with a nest of imaginary snakes on the outside. Why any opposing pitcher throws him anything besides bending pitches 1-6" outside is beyond me.

Sam, another inexplicable Braves tendency this year is to mop up on everyone *except* division rivals. That bodes ill for the Bravos--looking at their July schedule.
   4. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: July 02, 2003 at 02:24 AM (#612013)
This not-so-interesting division is getting more interesting by the day.

Berquist, don't give up hope. I believe there's a good chance the Braves are going to gradually drift back to earth in the second half, and the Phils are finally starting to play the way everybody expected them to. This division is not going to be a blowout.
   5. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: July 04, 2003 at 02:25 AM (#612038)
Atlanta's going nowhere. Whether Braves fans are arrogant or fans of the other four East teams are just jealous, y'all need to just face the facts. We are a dynasty, one ring or no. It's just that simple.

Oh for crying out loud, get over yourself. I don't know one single serious baseball fan who denies that these Braves are a dynasty. You don't have to be some kind of genius to see that this is one of the most impressive runs by a team ever.

If anything, I think that nowadays we non-Braves fans actually appreciate the run more than you guys do. You know as well as I do that most Braves fans have become jaded and spoiled. If you guys really want to impress the rest of us, run your mouths less and show up to the games a little more.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.