Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Friday, July 18, 2003

Bi-Weekly Review: N.L. East

The N.L. East through the All-Star Break.

So we?ve run through a little better than half the season, taken the obligatory step back for the All Star break, cursed the lame ending of Order of the Phoenix three times already and are now prepared to re-enter the NL East matrix.  We?ll try to avoid the self-aggrandizing, proto-dharma soliloquies and stick to our bread-and-butter kung fu fighting.  So, without further adieu, jack in.

National League East

Team

W

L

Avg.

GB

Home

Road

East

Cent.

West

L10

Strk

Atlanta

-

30-13

31-19

22-19

16-5

13-3

9-1

W 1

Philadelphia

8?

26-20

26-20

22-19

11-7

11-8

5-5

L 1

Montreal

12?

28-18

21-27

18-21

11-10

11-5

3-7

L 1

Florida

25-19

24-27

23-20

11-10

6-10

6-4

W 1

N.Y. Mets

20-28

20-25

18-24

10-10

7-9

4-6

W 1

The Atlanta Braves are, for the purposes of our metaphor, Agent Smith.  Everyone remembers how at the end of the last installment of the series they ran into a feedback loop, couldn?t kill the neo-heroes from San Francisco, and just sort of exploded all over the place in the off-season.  Little green bits of Tom Glavine flew over to the Mets, Kevin Millwood code ended up in Philadelphia, and God or the Architect only knows what the hell happened to Damian Moss.  Everyone was sure they were dead, really dead, this time.

But lo and behold, something wacky and ontologically unnerving seems to have happened instead.  Apparently, when you stare into the abyss the abyss does stare back at you, and when you dive into the Agent with your super kung fu, the Agent dives right back into you.  And apparently, when you cannibalize the pitching-and-defense master blasters and leave them strewn all across the lawn for dead, they re-constitute into an offensive behemoth while you blink.  Who the hell knew?

Anyone else getting tired of this convoluted metaphoring?  Good, ?cause I am too.  Enough!  That movie is like two months old, anyway.

It?s hard to remember at this point, but for a week there, it almost became interesting. Back in mid-June the Phillies took 4 out of 6 in head to head action vs. Atlanta.  The Braves eked out a series win against Tampa Bay, but then dropped two of three to the Marlins as well.  While all of this was going on in Atlanta, the Phillies continued to streak, running off a 12-3 mark in grand fashion.  Meanwhile the Marlins where humping up courtesy of Dontrelle Willis and generated a nice little streak of their own.  The net result of all of that being the division closing from ho-hum to 4.5 in less than 10 days.

Then everyone woke the hell up.  Atlanta strung together 9 wins in 10 games, sweeping through Shea in the process, while the Marlins and Phils went head to head, with the Fish sweeping the series.  All of a sudden everything was back to 8.5 and barely stifled yawns.  If it?s any consolation, I?m three quarters of the way through the latest William Gibson book, and it?s very promising so far.

Bottom line is this: if someone, most likely the Phillies, doesn?t close to within five games by August, this division is over and done.  If the Braves maintain their current lead through the end of the month, the rest of the Phils, Expos and Marlins respective seasons will be so much wild card hunting.  Does that sound all Brave-o-centric and fan-boy of me?  Yeah?  Okay.  Does it sound wrong?

First Half Hong Kong Cavaliers

Player

Team

AVG

OBP

SLG

OPS

G. Sheffield

Atl

M. Lowell

Fla

J. Vidro

Mon

J. Thome

Phi

I. Rodriguez

Fla

C. Jones

Atl

C. Floyd

NYM

A. Jones

Atl

D. Lee

Fla

B. Wilkerson

Mon

M. Lieberthal

Phi

B. Abreu

Phi

A. Gonzalez

Fla

O. Cabrera

Mon

M. Giles

Atl

Player

Team

W

L

ERA

R. Wolf

Phi

R. Ortiz

Atl

K. Millwood

Phi

L. Hernandez

Mon

J. Seo

NYM

B. Myers

Phi

V. Padilla

Phi

J. Vazquez

Mon

First Half Red Lectoids

Player

Team

AVG

OBP

SLG

OPS

R. Alomar

NYM

J. Rollins

Phi

P. Burrell

Phi

E. Chavez

Mon

D. Bell

Phi

Player

Team

W

L

ERA

A. Leiter

NYM

S. Reynolds

Atl

T. Glavine

NYM

G. Maddux

Atl

John BigBoote

Uh, Mo.  Duh.

Next Up

Atlanta opens the second half with an eight game home stand.  The Mets bring whatever is left of their major league roster in for four sound thrashings, with the Cubs dropping in for a two-day layover afterwards. An equally stupid two game set with the Marlins follows.  The Braves then hit the road for four games in Montreal before returning home for a six game stand split between Houston and LA.

Philadelphia hosts the Expos for four then gets a two-day set vs. the Mets followed by two at Wrigley.  A quick jaunt down to Florida follows for a three game set, then it?s back up to Cincinnati for one freaking game.  Yes, really.  Some moron at MLB actually scheduled them for two days in Chicago, then flew them to Miami, and then flew them back to the upper Midwest for a single freaking game in Cincinnati.  Amazing.  The Phils roll into August with LA and San Diego at home.

Montreal, as noted above, starts up again in Philly before visiting Florida for two days.  Then they?re back home for two vs. the Mets before Atlanta swings in for their four games.  The Cards and Brewers stop by for three games each after that, making for a nice long home stand to end the month.  (That?s actually in Montreal.)

Florida hosts the Cubs for three, Montreal for two, and makes a two-day stop over in Atlanta before returning home for a three game set with Philadelphia. Arizona and Houston visit Miami for three each afterwards.  Again, a nice little home stand, interrupted only by that goofy-assed two game road trip up I-75.

Norfolk visits Charlotte for two games then turns around and hosts two more vs. the Knights.  Columbus and Scranton each pay a four game visit before the Tides load up the buses again, heading out for two games in Durham followed by two in Charlotte again.  They end the road trip with a four game set in Richmond.

Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 18, 2003 at 06:00 AM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. flournoy Posted: July 18, 2003 at 02:28 AM (#612221)
Javy Lopez and his .988 OPS should be second behind Sheffield on that offensive juggernaut list.
   2. Cliff Floyd the Barber Posted: July 18, 2003 at 02:28 AM (#612223)
Seems pretty easy to kick sand in the face of one of the worst teams in baseball. Have fun with Mike Hampton and Shane Reynolds, proven veterans with proven salaries in the millions. Go Tides!
   3. a different Terry Posted: July 18, 2003 at 02:28 AM (#612224)
Ed Wade in late July: "blue pill.... no! red pill!...no! blue one
oops. uh oh."

I'm aghast to see Agent Smith 30--30! games over .500, on pace to win 106 games in a division I thought for sure was ripe for the taking at 95 or so wins. Well, big ups to Cox and his bobbing-head pal. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, and yeah, I'm ignoring the standings, but it just seems so very odd that the team with the good hitters and so-so pitchers is setting the pace. The Braves are like the '93 Phils--maybe they'll get tired of running around the bases in late July like that team, but it strikes me that they're much better athletes.

OTOH, from the looks of the list the Phils have three starters who should be pretty well rested from 90 games of walking back and forth to the dugout. That oughtta help. I'm somewhat surprised by Rollins' tepid statistics--at least Bowa didn't wait until August to make changes at the top of that sinkhole-studded lineup.

Sam, for empathy's sake, wading through 850 pages to get to the part where Dumbledore explains everything anyway is a lot like watching the Phillies all season long and then reading statistical analyses of what they did wrong in November--waste of time, those parts with the Giants completely pointless, and you are held captive by a hot-headed adolescent who you are supposed to believe is the hero until a wiser head pithily tells him what everyone else figured out all along while he angrily refuses to listen. Would that some evil wizard were fated to kill "Harry" Bowa and his godfather "Wadius."

Scar throbbing...gotta run.

4. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 18, 2003 at 02:28 AM (#612228)
July 18, 2003 - flournoy: "Javy Lopez and his .988 OPS should be second behind Sheffield on that offensive juggernaut list."

SH: You are absolutely correct. I went through and pulled the numbers and didn't adjust for Javy's low number of plate appearances. He gets left off of most of the lists because he isn't qualifed-to-date for EOY awards. ('Cause Blanco has to catch Maddux every time out.)

July 18, 2003 - Cliff Floyd the Barber: "Seems pretty easy to kick sand in the face of one of the worst teams in baseball. Have fun with Mike Hampton and Shane Reynolds..."

SH: Cliffy, buddy, if you can't mock a team that is spending $116 million for Jason Phillips and last place, who can you mock? Hampton has pitched decently. Reynolds? Not so much.

July 18, 2003 - a different Terry: "...wading through 850 pages to get to the part where Dumbledore explains everything anyway is a lot like watching the Phillies all season long and then reading statistical analyses of what they did wrong in November..."

SH: You're telling me. 850 pages to get Always-Swooping-in-to-Save-the-Petulant-Teenage-Ass telling me "oh, for the three of you who didn't read the first book, this is the plot." I mean, no ####? Really? It turns out the protagonist has to face down the antagonist in the end? You call that a payoff?!?! I was not happy.

July 18, 2003 - Matthew Appleton: "Actually, that one freakin' game in Cincinnati on the 28th is a make-up date."

SH: Okay, that makes it almost okay. The two game series crap is still annoying and stupid, just like the interleague play that makes it "necessary."

5. Michael Posted: July 18, 2003 at 02:28 AM (#612232)
Ah, who cares about the NL East?

Braves - still good.

Montreal - still would be good if only their corrupt and evil owner(s) would let them and/or they'd get good luck instead of just bad luck.

Mets - still bad, really bad.

Florida and Phils - still no one cares.

Its the cultural references everyone cares about:

Matrix Reloaded - not bad, but not as revolutionary as the original. Maybe Revolutions will be more, uh, revolutionary.

HP5 Order of the Pheonix - good, darker than the first 4 books. Endding leaves more threads untied than it manages to tie up. Not as good as book 4. Painful if we have to wait 3 years for book 6.

Pattern Recognition (that latest William Gibson novel) - good, more in the lines of an Idoru than a Neuromancer.
   6. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 18, 2003 at 02:28 AM (#612234)
On Pattern Recognition:

Most critics I've read seem to think PR is Gibson taking a "gambit on real fiction", exiting the cyberpunk universe he created with Neuromancer and writing in the present tense, setting-wise. I think this is a misreading of what he's doing with this book. Rather than exiting the universe he created in 1994, I think he's re-writing that universe *as the present.*

Case has become Cayce. (With a couple of explicit statements about how to pronounce her name.) Neuromancer's "cyberspace" has morphed into modern marketing. The Jamaicans are now street dealers in elicit adding machines. I find this shift to be fascinating.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.