Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Primate Studies > Discussion
Primate Studies
— Where BTF's Members Investigate the Grand Old Game

Wednesday, September 12, 2001

Baseball Doesn’t Matter Today

Like most of the world, we were shocked, horrified, and saddened by the actions of terrorists yesterday in the United States. These events reinforce the importance of our favorite pastime. Baseball is a game and a trivial diversion; there are far more important things in life.  Our focus for the immediate future, therefore, is on the unfolding emergency and not on the current baseball season.

We hope your friends and families are well. Our deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the families and victims of these tragic events.

BTF Staff Posted: September 12, 2001 at 06:00 AM | 3 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Rich Rifkin I Posted: September 13, 2001 at 12:12 AM (#604138)
Until air traffic resumes, and until most fans are feel safe congregating in large numbers at places such as ballparks, resuming baseball (and other sports) is going to be very hard, if not impossible, to do. My sense is that a lot of athletes are afraid to travel around the country in airplanes; and most fans don't seem to feel like celebrating sports, this week.

However, at some point, perhaps Monday, America will have to try to return to action. And, in its small way, sports are a part of that action. I think it would help, when the time is right, if President Bush would make his feelings known on this subject, telling us that ballgames should go ahead. Then the league commissioners and so on would have a firmer foundation for resuming their contests.
   2. Robert Dudek Posted: September 13, 2001 at 12:12 AM (#604139)
I agree with Rich.

As soon as the security issues are resolved, the President should call for all normal activities to be resumed, including baseball. Resuming all normal activities as soon as possible is the only way to show defiance in the face of terrorism.

In view of the devestation in New York, I would leave the decision as to when to resume baseball in that city to the mayor.

3. Tangotiger Posted: September 14, 2001 at 12:12 AM (#604142)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20355-2001Sep12.html

I went to the post site, and I saw no pro/con debate. Maybe there was one, but I didn't see it.

The difference between baseball and broadway/movies is that sports is more about cheering and being a part of winning and losing. The arts is more of an individually passive or even at times intellectually and emotionally engaging event, without competition. But no one stands up cheering when exiting the theatre.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
aleskel
for his generous support.