Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Saturday, October 26, 2019

2020 is in Bloom

While anything official will wait for the end of the World Series multiple reports (Joel Sherman, Rob Bradford among others) are reporting that the Red Sox are hiring Chaim Bloom* as their next General Manager**.

* see what I did with the title?
** I don’t care about titles, he’s doing the job traditionally associated with GM so that’s what I’m calling him

On all of these hires we really know so very little about the people involved that it is hard to make any particularly substantive calls.  However the early reports are glowing to the point of infatuation but as a Sox fan it is hard not to feel good about it.  The one recurring theme I am seeing in multiple places is he is very good at working with others.  This seems in direct contrast to Dombrowski who was more of a traditional/old school leader but sometimes didn’t allow the smart people elsewhere in the organization to thrive.  The Sox are reported to have very good people throughout the organization including of course the group of four executives (Raquel Ferreira, Brian O’Halloran, Eddie Romero, and Zack Scott) who have been tasked with keeping the organization going during this phase of transition.

Of course Bloom is inheriting a very talented team but also one with some difficult decisions ahead of it.  One thing I wanted to take a look at in hopes that it might give some insight into Bloom is how Andrew Friedman handled the transition from small market Tampa to huge market Los Angeles.  Unfortunately I don’t think there are a lot of comps there as the Dodgers did not have the same types of decisions.  One can make an argument that Matt Kemp, whose trade was engineered by Friedman almost immediately, is similar to Mookie Betts but that’s a bit of a reach.  Kemp was three years older than Betts is now and over the previous three seasons his combined WAR was still less than what Mookie did in 2018 and he had only had one season (2011) equivalent to Mookie’s 2019 season.

I think what we CAN learn from Kemp, and other decisions, is that Friedman was willing to make difficult decisions.  The 2014 Dodgers looked like this for game one of the NLDS;

Dee Gordon 2B
Yasiel Puig RF
Adrian Gonzalez 1B
Matt Kemp CF
Hanley Ramirez SS
Carl Crawford LF
Juan Uribe 3B
AJ Ellis C
Clayton Kershaw P
Kenley Jansen CL

When they suited up for game seven of the 2017 World Series their lineup looked like this;

Chris Taylor CF
Corey Seager SS
Justin Turner 3B
Clay Bellinger 1B
Yasiel Puig RF
Joc Pederson LF
Logan Forsythe 2B
Austin Barnes C
Yu Darvish P
Kenley Jansen CL

Obviously Kershaw was still on the roster in 2017 but other than that Puig was the only returner.  Now part of that is the 2014 Dodgers had more in common with say the 2004 Sox than the 2019 team with a lot of older players at the tail end of their contracts.  What strikes me about what Friedman did is that he had success promoting and/or developing young players (Seager, Bellinger, Pederson)  but also success bringing in older players to fill roles either in big names (like Darvish) or on the more role player type (Rich Hill, Logan Forsythe).  I include Jansen because I think it shows a willingness to not be slavish to certain concepts while his overall body of work shows a willingness to embrace innovation.

Why all this talk about Friedman?  As I said we really don’t know enough about Bloom to make strong evaluations.  What I see with Friedman is a Rays executive who was able to navigate both the big name/big money aspects of GMing and the bargain basement hunting aspect.  Of course Friedman is one of the best in the biz but even if his former protege Bloom is not as good if he comes in with the type of open mind that Friedman has displayed that should serve the Sox well.

Oh and Chaim, sign Mookie Betts.

Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: October 26, 2019 at 03:20 PM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. villageidiom Posted: October 29, 2019 at 10:44 AM (#5895652)
As I said we really don’t know enough about Bloom to make strong evaluations.
When they contacted the Rays they said Bloom would be their only external candidate. That either says a lot about Bloom, or says a lot about the internal candidates, or both. But per this Bradfo piece Boston called Theo Epstein, Mike Hazen, and Andrew Friedman to ask about Bloom, and heard many positives.
   2. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: October 29, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5895680)
Everything I have read on this guy has been over the top positive. One thing that was mentioned somewhere, I don't remember where, is that for the Sox to have landed a guy as in demand as Bloom seems to be may signal that they are planning to go to the wall to re-sign Betts.

I'm excited about this hire. There is a real forward looking aspect to this that I think will serve the Sox well.
   3. jmurph Posted: October 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM (#5895691)
for the Sox to have landed a guy as in demand as Bloom seems to be may

A good time for another hearty LOL at all the handwringing, at BBTF and elsewhere, to the tune of "why would anyone want this job?!?!?"
   4. Nasty Nate Posted: October 29, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5895699)
A good time for another hearty LOL at all the handwringing, at BBTF and elsewhere, to the tune of "why would anyone want this job?!?!?"
True. But have we heard yet whether they only signed Bloom to appease the spoiled impatient fans?
   5. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 29, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5895707)

I think that discussion was specific to Friedman, who already had a big market GM job.
   6. jmurph Posted: October 29, 2019 at 01:52 PM (#5895713)
Rosenthal: The many reasons the Red Sox’ head of baseball operations job is a difficult one to fill
Olney: Why nobody might want to be Boston's GM
   7. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: October 29, 2019 at 07:30 PM (#5895812)
Where's Clapper? I'm waiting for him to tell us how this is a bad move and that the future of the Red Sox is one in which they will wallow in mediocrity for the next 5 years because of this move.
   8. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 29, 2019 at 07:44 PM (#5895813)
Little early to make any judgments, isn’t it? Although I suppose now is the best time to declare the hiring an enormous success with no fear of [immediate] contradiction.
   9. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: October 29, 2019 at 07:50 PM (#5895814)
Clapper, you never disappoint. Thx for making an appearance.

Jokes aside, the banter is always good and of course in true Trump style, it is the greatest hiring ever. A huge hire that has never been done before!
   10. villageidiom Posted: October 31, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5897554)
Where's Clapper? I'm waiting for him to tell us how this is a bad move and that the future of the Red Sox is one in which they will wallow in mediocrity for the next 5 years because of this move.
That's not his style. It's more his style to express concern that something might not work out for the Red Sox. Like, he won't say this is a bad hiring, but he might say "I wonder if the hiring of Bloom will feel like a bait-and-switch to the Team of Four that held the interim role, and will cause an exodus of four talented people that could more than offset what they gain with Bloom." Or something like that. Like, he won't judge it, but he will express some concern that there could be negative repercussions.
   11. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: November 12, 2019 at 06:54 PM (#5900682)
Not sure where to put this but I just finished Alex Speier’s “Homegrown” and if you are a Sox fan I highly recommend it.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.