Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Happy Pitchers and Molinas* Day!!!

* - That’s not my joke but I don’t remember who first coined it so let’s just assume I’m incredibly funny.

Today is the official early report day for pitchers and catchers at JetBlue Park.  For those of you who enjoyed shoveling snow this morning like I did you’ll be pleased to know the report from my mother in SW Florida is that it’s “chilly” (i.e. 66 degrees) and raining so they are miserable too.  A few random thoughts as people who were a hell of a lot warmer when they woke up arrive at work.

- The Red Sox have hired Mario Impemba to be Joe Castiglione’s running mate on WEEI this year.  Impemba had been the voice of the Tigers and has a relationship with Dave Dombrowski that is strong enough that DD wrote the forward for Impemba’s book.  Impemba somewhat famously was let go by the Tigers after a brouhaha (or was it a donnybrook? Maybe a fracas) with partner Rod Allen.  Joe Castiglione bounced back from falling out of his chair after game four of the ALCS last year so the man can take a shot.

- Adam Jones, one year, $5 million what say you?  The Sox don’t REALLY need a backup outfielder but freeing up Brock Holt from outfield duties might be kind of helpful and while Jones isn’t what he was he can still fake it in all three outfield positions well enough to be a 200 plate appearance guy.  The only problem with him is that he’s not a lefty masher.  He actually has reverse splits so he’s not the obvious fit that a guy like Chris Young was.  As a side note I initially called Chris Young “Craig” because I am old and stupid.

- The more I read the more I think the Sox are going with only two catchers.  I don’t mind that in general but I feel like the guy who is least likely to go away is Sandy Leon and he is the guy I think should go away.  Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart are not superstars but I think both are more likely than Leon to get better.  The only reason to keep Leon is to put a lot of credence into his catcher ERA and in fairness that’s been an ongoing trend long enough as not to be dismissed out of hand.  However, I am skeptical as to how “true talent” that will be moving forward.  I would expect that the ability to frame pitches and such would also decline as a player got older and less agile.

- Nine days until baseball games (Northeastern on the 22nd) and 23 days until I arrive on the scene!  Baseball!!!!

Jose is an Absurd Kahuna Posted: February 13, 2019 at 10:29 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.