Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. ptodd Posted: April 05, 2011 at 05:54 AM (#3786292)
Could Salty be tipping pitches? Clay Buchholz allowed only 9 HR all of last year, but in his last 14 IP with Salty has allowed 8 HR (going back to ST)

The Yankees lost 3 straight to open the season in 1998. Girardi caught all 3 games. Posada caught the next 4 and most of the games thereafter. Not exactly the same situation as the Red Sox as nobody stands to lose his job as a result of this series.
   102. tfbg9 Posted: April 05, 2011 at 02:56 PM (#3786456)
This is the sport where favorites are never more than 3 to 1, pretty much never more than 2 to 1 to win a game.

Eh.

Today, 2 games opened at 2-1 (NYY and PHA).

You'll see the NYY's over 3-1 when they're at home vs KC with CC on the mound. That sort of thing. Or the Sox with Lester.
   103. toratoratora Posted: April 05, 2011 at 03:40 PM (#3786512)
Hopping in late;
Past Binkies-Dewey, Barrett,Greenwell, Lyons, Boggs (OMG yes. The ultimate Binky. I used to check his line daily to see if he went 2/5 with a W), Manny, Petey,Daubach, Carlos Quintana (I like alliteration)

Anti-Binkies-Reardon, Smith, Brunansky, Danny Darwin, Urbina

From Bink to Anti-Phil Plantier (I had such high hopes for him)
From Bink to anti and back again-Lowe
   104. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: April 05, 2011 at 03:47 PM (#3786523)
Have to confess I woke up this morning in a pants-pissing mood. A loss tonight with Daisuke then April Lester going the next two days and the Yankees and Rays looming...

Intellectually I know we're going to be 4-5, maybe 3-6 at worst come Monday morning and we'll have 92-97 wins come October but I can't shake the feeling that 0-9 is in my future with an 83-79 record while my summer gets ruined.

Ugh. The great thing about baseball is they play everyday. When you are going good you can't wait to see the team that next night. When you are going bad you feel like you are never going to win again.
   105. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: April 05, 2011 at 03:54 PM (#3786531)
The Sox are now 2.5 back of the Yankees. Coming into the year I'd have said we were maybe 3-4 games better than the Yankees, so they've pissed away most of their advantage in a weekend. (The RLYW projection blowout had the difference a little over two games, which would mean they're back to even.)

Right now, the team is hitting 200/279/330. That's bad, but check out the overall pitching line:

24 IP, 34 H, 26 R, 11 HR, 10 BB, 12 K, 9.75 ERA, 0-3

Really, the Red Sox are lucky they only played three games against Texas. They could sweep the Indians and still be way below a projected .500 record in component stats.
   106. BDC Posted: April 05, 2011 at 03:56 PM (#3786534)
Could Salty be tipping pitches? Clay Buchholz allowed only 9 HR all of last year

Yes, but aside from the four solo HR, Buchholz wasn't getting knocked around the lot all day: he left almost nobody on base.

I realize that's a little like saying "Aside from Our American Cousin," but maybe it's mostly a matter of getting the ball down slightly or a little more movement on it, rather than wholesale disaster with a given catcher.
   107. SoSH U at work Posted: April 05, 2011 at 03:59 PM (#3786540)
Other than Wake, who has been my favorite since he got there, the only other players that could probably qualify on the positive side are equally odd choices, Bellhorn and Damon Buford (I've always had a thing for speedy centerfielders). Craig Grebeck would have qualified too, but checking his line during his brief Boston stay was just too painful.
   108. Cowboy Popup Posted: April 05, 2011 at 04:19 PM (#3786566)
Coming into the year I'd have said we were maybe 3-4 games better than the Yankees, so they've pissed away most of their advantage in a weekend.

The fact that the Yanks have been playing at home and the Sox have been playing on the road must mitigate that to some degree.
   109. The Marksist Posted: April 05, 2011 at 05:07 PM (#3786649)
The Sox are now 2.5 back of the Yankees. Coming into the year I'd have said we were maybe 3-4 games better than the Yankees, so they've pissed away most of their advantage in a weekend. (The RLYW projection blowout had the difference a little over two games, which would mean they're back to even.)

This doesn't make any sense to me. If the Yanks lose their next three and the Sox sweep, do we say we're back to square one? Do we do this during every losing streak and winning streak all season long?
   110. plim Posted: April 05, 2011 at 06:27 PM (#3786767)
agonz is definitely my binky, and lackey my anti-binky. he could throw a perfect game and i wouldn't care.
   111. Nasty Nate Posted: April 05, 2011 at 08:03 PM (#3786920)
This doesn't make any sense to me. If the Yanks lose their next three and the Sox sweep, do we say we're back to square one? Do we do this during every losing streak and winning streak all season long?

I don't like it either. We made it through the winter people! We can toss aside all the projections we've been gnawing on, and feast on real fresh standings!
   112. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: April 05, 2011 at 08:08 PM (#3786931)
According to Extra Bases Saltalamacchia is in the lineup tonight, Crawford is batting 2nd with Pedroia 3rd.
   113. OCD SS Posted: April 05, 2011 at 08:48 PM (#3787009)
I haven't been able to watch all of the games, but what I've seen Salty looks decent behind the dish. He moves well enough (which is pretty well for such a big guy) and doesn't look like a huge defensive liability which is what I think the Sox are really concerned about right now. Keeping him in the line up is classic tito showing loyalty and confidence to a player on a slow start. He stuck with Pedroia through a miserable start to 2007 and that worked out much better in the long run than immediately sending him back to AAA would've.
   114. Pingu Posted: April 06, 2011 at 01:57 PM (#3787600)
I haven't been able to watch all of the games, but what I've seen Salty looks decent behind the dish. He moves well enough (which is pretty well for such a big guy) and doesn't look like a huge defensive liability which is what I think the Sox are really concerned about right now. Keeping him in the line up is classic tito showing loyalty and confidence to a player on a slow start. He stuck with Pedroia through a miserable start to 2007 and that worked out much better in the long run than immediately sending him back to AAA would've.

While I agree that this is classic Tito showing loyalty, I'm afraid to say that comparing Pedroia and Salty in this way makes my brain hurt. I'm struggling to see what "much better in the long run" is with Salty....
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.