Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 01, 2016 at 09:48 AM (#5233446)
1. Price, Porcello, EdRod, Wright, Kelly. Kelly will just keep doing enough to hang around alternating brilliant with awful.

2. The setup relief desperately needs help but I think the help might be in house. I kind of wonder if that is a place for Elias. Instinctively Kelly seems the right choice but I wonder if you lose him a bit with a perceived demotion to the bullpen. If he can hold his own in the rotation and like him or not he has a decent track record, then you promote Elias and put him out there. I also really want Hembree back. He was pissed about being sent down and I can't argue with him. He has been very good, he just got caught up in a numbers game and Barnes seems to be inching forward. I'd hate to see us give up something useful for 20 innings of Scott Williamson. I can picture a really good bullpen with Hembree, Elias and Barnes augmenting the guys currently there. The guy that I think needs to go is Layne. Nothing against Tommy but...bleh. He doesn't do anything.

Agreed on left field. I'm not sure what the right call is there but I think they can improve on it for now. I still love Swihart and hope they don't sell low on him.

The one place you didn't mention is corner infield. I'd like to see some sort of cromulent back up brought in there (maybe the left fielder fills this role). The drop off from Shaw/Ramirez to whatever is next; Hernandez, Rutledge, is sizable. There was some hope with Sam Travis but his injury really is a buzzkill. Off the cuff I wonder if a guy like Luis Valbuena might be available. He has his flaws but a low average slugger seems like a reasonable backup at that spot.
   2. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2016 at 10:13 AM (#5233470)
Yes, corner infield was where I thought we have the greatest injury risk, and that was before the Travis injury. (Oh, great, now I'm revealing content from my still-unfinished ST posts.)

An injury to Hanley basically means he's being replaced by Josh Rutledge (with Shaw shifting to 1B). Or you add Allen Craig to the 40-man roster again. (It's at 39 now.) Or you bring Holt into the IF and find a LF replacement, which brings us right back to the same problem mentioned above.

I agree on the in-house potential for setup. I like Hembree, I like Elias, hell I like Noe Ramirez; and they're all in AAA.
   3. Nasty Nate Posted: June 01, 2016 at 10:30 AM (#5233496)
I think an injury to a CI would mean Holt to 3B and more Chris Young in the OF (and Rusney, Swihart, or maybe Brentz are bumped up the totem pole) more than it would mean Rutledge gets an interim starting job.
   4. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2016 at 10:49 AM (#5233519)
2016 OPS+

77 Holt
91 Swihart
106 Ramirez
109 Young
122 Rutledge
128 Shaw

2016 is the Year Of Results. Shaw won a starting job from Sandoval. Buchholz has been removed from the rotation. I figure Rutledge will get the job until he proves he can't do it.
   5. SY Ruined School Lunches! Posted: June 01, 2016 at 12:02 PM (#5233647)
I don't think they need anything too crazy for LF, a real platoon partner for Young should be fine. That would also let Holt go back to the bench, and they could replace Hannigan with Swihart too. I think that team would be a couple wins better.
   6. Nasty Nate Posted: June 01, 2016 at 12:16 PM (#5233674)
Shaw won a starting job from Sandoval. Buchholz has been removed from the rotation.
I really like that they have operated like that this year. In addition to the moves you mentioned, there was also Holt getting the LF job instead of Rusney, and Vasquez seizing the C job.
   7. Mike Webber Posted: June 01, 2016 at 01:06 PM (#5233728)
I like June 12 for the date that Ortiz breaks the record. For Twins fans that would be one more little thorn in the side from Ortiz.
   8. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: June 01, 2016 at 01:18 PM (#5233742)
1. Price, Porcello, Wright, ERod, Kelly. Not for the rest of the year...but for the month of June.

2. I am a little nervous about Shaw's ability to be productive all season. We are increasingly relying on him to be an everyday player of importance at the plate and the field. Also, the chances the Hanley stays healthy all season seems low. I'd like another corner guy. I do think additional set up arms in the bullpen are in our minor-league system.

3. Let me redirect the Ortiz/Williams question. Ortiz is at 517. Williams, McCovey, and Frank Thomas are all at 521. Will Ortiz reach the next guy up on the list, Jimmie Foxx (534) or Mantle (536)? That's a big year...but he's having a big year.
   9. Nasty Nate Posted: June 01, 2016 at 01:55 PM (#5233814)
I don't want to bump the Talkin Baseball thread, but I have begun to notice something annoying about Dave O'Brien. He sometimes talks as if the game is over before it's over. He does give a weak disclaimer in advance, but he'll says things like: The Sox will go up by 3 games in the East, which is their largest lead of the season - while the 9th inning is still being played.

I would rather he either say that earlier in the game and phrased as, If the Sox win, they would be up by 3 games, or just wait a goddamned 5 minutes until either the game is over or the sentence becomes moot anyway.
   10. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2016 at 02:02 PM (#5233829)
I like June 12 for the date that Ortiz breaks the record. For Twins fans that would be one more little thorn in the side from Ortiz.
I think he ties it in Minnesota.

Will Ortiz reach the next guy up on the list, Jimmie Foxx (534) or Mantle (536)?

Three Questions, September 2016
1. What will Ortiz's final numbers be? Well, there goes that idea.

After getting to 521, Ortiz would need 16 more in about a half season (30 total for the season) to pass Mantle. I think he'll make it. He'd need 28 in about a half season (42 total) to pass Schmidt, and I don't expect he'd have a chance at that.
   11. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 01, 2016 at 02:09 PM (#5233836)
I don't want to bump the Talkin Baseball thread, but I have begun to notice something annoying about Dave O'Brien. He sometimes talks as if the game is over before it's over. He does give a weak disclaimer in advance, but he'll says things like: The Sox will go up by 3 games in the East, which is their largest lead of the season - while the 9th inning is still being played.

I've noticed that too. I'm way to superstitious not to get annoyed by that.
   12. bbmck Posted: June 01, 2016 at 02:28 PM (#5233868)
HR after 35th birthday since 1913:

Player              HR   PA   AB   OPS 
Barry Bonds        340 4322 3080 1.229
Hank Aaron         245 4053 3475  .916
Rafael Palmeiro    210 3823 3223  .889
Ortiz ties Schmidt 199 
Babe Ruth          198 3068 2405 1.116
Carlton Fisk       193 4570 4082  .774

Darrell Evans      193 4119 3468  .808
Ted Williams       192 3298 2574 1.108
Ortiz ties Mantle  187 
Jim Thome          182 3032 2503  .922
Andres Galarraga   181 3368 3006  .904
David Ortiz        168 3006 2589  .951 

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
Generated 6/1/2016.
   13. covelli chris p Posted: June 01, 2016 at 03:34 PM (#5233968)
i've liked what i've seen so far of swihart in left. i also wonder if he's a long term option at 3rd if, for example benintendi forces his way into the lineup. wikipedia says he played mostly shortstop in high school.
   14. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 01, 2016 at 03:42 PM (#5233991)
i've liked what i've seen so far of swihart in left. i also wonder if he's a long term option at 3rd if, for example benintendi forces his way into the lineup. wikipedia says he played mostly shortstop in high school.

I think he should be. I'm a firm believer in third base as an option for relocated catchers; quick feet, strong arm and quick, soft hands...that's a catcher and that's a third baseman. If Swihart has the bat a scenario where 2017-2018 features Benintendi in left, Swihart at third and Shaw at first wouldn't bother me one bit (if Benintendi is ready that soon which is hardly a certainty).
   15. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2016 at 11:26 PM (#5234367)
Within 24 hours of asking the first question, Joe Kelly has been demoted to Pawtucket. (Noe Ramirez is coming up, to relieve the overtaxed bullpen.) With several days off in the next week or so, they don't need a 5-man rotation.

OK, so Buchholz has been demoted to the bullpen, and Kelly and Owens have been demoted to the minors. Joclenry Kebuchens is not your 5th starter. Your move.
   16. Norcan Posted: June 01, 2016 at 11:28 PM (#5234369)
Joe Kelly needs to be removed from the rotation. Heck it could be just for his sake because he's not going to hold up throwing 21.5 pitches/inning. Such a waste of velocity with him. His fastball has life and lights up the radar gun but it's get turned around for such loud contact so frequently. Maybe a team with a no.3 starter with one more year left on his deal for the league minimum will want to swap him for Kelly.
   17. Norcan Posted: June 01, 2016 at 11:39 PM (#5234377)
Wow, Kelly getting demoted is like manna from heaven. I feel a little bad for having cruel thoughts about him. He seems like a solid guy as far as I know but wow can he stink up the joint.

What do they do when they need a fifth starter again? Thankfully that's not going to be for another 10 days. It really shouldn't be Kelly or Buchholz. I don't get the notion that Buchholz just needs to figure things out. He's had full seasons of being bad. His stuff hasn't depreciated from the past two seasons. His good seasons look like flukes built on very low home run rates. I think he's actually a substandard, unreliable starter, not someone who just went through a bad stretch.

It's too bad that Owens has pitched horribly of late in Pawtucket. Somehow his control has gotten worse and he's lost the ability to escape all the jams he puts himself in. There's no way they're going to give him a shot.

Screw it, just have Wright go on short rest two or three times until they make a trade.
   18. Dan Posted: June 02, 2016 at 01:13 AM (#5234419)
Kelly needs to get an extended trail in short relief, starting in AAA. He has proven beyond most reasonable doubts that he is NOT an MLB caliber starting pitcher.

I'd guess Buchholz gets a few more starts now to prove himself potentially useful before DD makes a trade for a starter.
   19. villageidiom Posted: June 02, 2016 at 08:37 AM (#5234473)
If two games makes a trend, Mookie Betts is on pace to pass Ted Williams by the 2017 All-Star break, and Babe Ruth by opening day 2018.
   20. Norcan Posted: June 02, 2016 at 09:40 PM (#5235225)
Rick Porcello is who he is, just a backend starter. I still can't believe Cherington or whoever dished out a 20 plus million dollar deal for him. Stuff-wise and performance-wise, he was never that valuable, so what if he was in he supposed prime age range. I'm just glad Cherington is gone. The article Speier wrote a month ago about how this team was Cherington's master plan coming together was bunk. Almost all the good core players were acquired before Cherington ascended to GM in 2012.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.