Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Darren Posted: September 25, 2005 at 03:44 AM (#1640940)
Cris P, what happened to "BAM!"? You still my dog or what?

Two very bad developments: Trot got hits off lefties and Hansen had a bad outing. Hansen will not pitch for a week, at which point he will be thrust into the last game of the season in extra innings becuase Tito ran out of pitchers. Nixon will start against lefties from here on out, and look very silly, while Hyzdu sits on the sidelines.
   102. covelli chris p Posted: September 25, 2005 at 03:47 AM (#1640944)
you spelled my name wrong, daren.
   103. Vance Law Revue Posted: September 25, 2005 at 03:53 AM (#1640949)
i think they could play as many as 29 more games.

YOu know what would be sweet? If there was a 4 way tie for best record in the AL and the Red Sox and Yankees met in the ALCS again.

They could end up playing each other 27 times this year after playing 26 times each of the last two years.

Hell, they've already played each other 68 times in the last 3 years, and they could meet another 11 times this year!
   104. Darren Posted: September 25, 2005 at 03:58 AM (#1640955)
krispy,

You need to learn your place around here. I'm the big man. If I say levski's a troll, then dammit, he's a troll. If I say SG's too snarky, then that's how it is. And if I decide your name is kriiisiddsaiapwie p, then you just take it and STFU. Consider yourself lucky I didn't decide to call you crapbag.

Bottom line: Don't mess with me--look what happened to Mikael.
   105. covelli chris p Posted: September 25, 2005 at 04:01 AM (#1640958)
hey deron, i back you up in the tito-bash-fests. i call out other primates that invade sox therapy just like you had to call out levski. hell, i singlehandedly defended a sox therapy thread from an attempted mets hijack! you best be respectin' me, so spell it wright, damnit!
   106. covelli chris p Posted: September 25, 2005 at 04:04 AM (#1640960)
and i would advise that you be nice to levski. i'm scared he'll flip out and launch his crazy biological warfare all over btf and then we're all ######. if you thought chipper was unstable, woooboy, wait until levski flips!
   107. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: September 25, 2005 at 04:42 AM (#1641006)

Mikael is dead. Long live Mikael.

And, hey, we won! What a great night.
   108. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 25, 2005 at 07:48 AM (#1641161)
You guys moving back from the bridge yet? If not, what'll it take?

The Red Sox are a better team than the Yankees. The Red Sox will win the division, then beat the White Sox, Indians, and Cardinals to win the World Series.
   109. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: September 25, 2005 at 12:39 PM (#1641194)
Dude, I was saying this team wasn't much good when they were five games ahead in the AL East and some of their starters didn't suck.

I'm supposed to change my mind because they choked away the lead, but then got back a game by barely squeezing by the friggin' Orioles?
   110. Schilling's Sprained Ankiel Posted: September 25, 2005 at 12:58 PM (#1641196)
Going to the game today. Last time I saw the Sox at OPaCY, they lost something like 8-1, with that 1 coming on a Papi solo HR in the 8th or 9th. I hope this is a Sox blowout.
DB
   111. OlePerfesser Posted: September 25, 2005 at 01:36 PM (#1641206)

Something happened to Mikael? I mean, other than school starting and him having better things to do with his time?

Darren, if you DFA'd Mikael, I'll feel about you the way you feel about Duquette for losing Clemens.
   112. Famous Original Joe C Posted: September 25, 2005 at 08:18 PM (#1641843)
and launch his crazy biological warfare all over btf

You mean by posting "Shawn Estes for (your team's player)" on every single thread?
   113. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 25, 2005 at 09:50 PM (#1642039)
And, Joe C broke the thread.
   114. Darren Posted: September 26, 2005 at 02:17 AM (#1642441)
I renamed Mikael, Ole P. He's still wasting his time here, don't worry.

I have to come out and admit that the division still being in play bothers me quite a bit. The Sox have played as well as I could have expected, but the Yankees' run of success behind Small, Wang, and Chacon has been unbearable.

One nice thing about the Yankees latest win, they were forced to use Rivera for 36 pitches. Torre was very good about getting him rest early in the year, so maybe it won't matter. But maybe it will.
   115. villageidiom Posted: September 26, 2005 at 01:01 PM (#1642833)
Lately I've been hoping for two days of rain in Baltimore, starting today. The idea is that the Yankees would have to play back-to-back doubleheaders before coming to Boston, tired, for the season-ending series.

On second thought I figured that it would give 'em all a two-day rest, and I don't think I want to give them a chance to rest.

On third thought it occurred to me that, unless they throw Sean Henn out there in the Baltimore doubleheaders, their Saturday starter would be on two days' rest. And hence they'd probably have to throw Henn, etc., out there vs. Baltimore, and worsen their chances for winning games there.

Ultimately I prefer that the Sox win and the Yankees lose; really I don't care about the details. But I was wondering if the rest of y'all would like to see two days of rain in Baltimore.
   116. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 26, 2005 at 01:07 PM (#1642836)
Why do you even bring it up? Is it in the forecast?
   117. villageidiom Posted: September 26, 2005 at 09:04 PM (#1643838)
I bring it up because I want to see if people think it's a good thing or a bad thing. But, checking the forecast, it looks like 60% chance of rain in Baltimore tonight.
   118. Fat Al Posted: September 26, 2005 at 10:11 PM (#1643986)
Boston Forecast:

Tonight: Windy. A steady rain this evening, with showers continuing overnight. Low 63F. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a half an inch.

Baltimore:

Tonight: Showers ending early, then partly cloudy overnight. Low 67F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Rainfall near a half an inch.
   119. Darren Posted: September 26, 2005 at 11:16 PM (#1644093)
idiom--I think if both teams are rained out once, it favors NY a lot. They're still going to get 2 starts from RJ on normal rest, and the rest of their pitching is all sorta messed up anyways. The Red Sox would see a dropoff if they had to mix in a 6th starter.

If just NY got 1-2 days of rain, it would hurt them. It would allow Mariano and Gordo to rest up, but then they wouldn't be able to choose when to go to them as well.
   120. Answer Guy. Posted: September 26, 2005 at 11:42 PM (#1644171)
You guys moving back from the bridge yet? If not, what'll it take?

The Red Sox are a better team than the Yankees.

This weekend proved only that the Red Sox are a better team than the Orioles. Which most of us already know. I didn't think they'd do that well on the road so that has to be considered a plus.

It appears that at least the first game of the final showdown series, and probably the second, will mean something. Still not optimistic though.
   121. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 26, 2005 at 11:57 PM (#1644208)
C'mon Answer Guy. The Red Sox have 7 left at home. The Yankees have 7 left on the road. The schedule heavily favors the Sox from here. Have a little confidence.
   122. bwright Posted: September 27, 2005 at 04:01 AM (#1645004)
My gripes from 2005:

Kevin Millar, should have been traded or released. Youklis should have had his at bats, without a doubt.

Edgar Renteria, he'll be an eye sore for years to come. Would have been better off signing a stop gap measure for one or two years, Hanley or Pedoria will be ready, ala Eckstein.

Not keeping Pedro, he ####### and whined, but he was good, and has already proved that he had at least one more good year.

but oh well 7 games to play a half game back... with three left against the competition.

by the way the big mistake with schilling is letting him come back so soon, better to have kept him out until the asb, hindsight as always...
   123. covelli chris p Posted: September 27, 2005 at 04:20 AM (#1645076)
My gripes from 2005:

besides Millar, who should platoon with Wally the Green Monser, not Olerud, my main gripe has to do with injuries, and is part of a troubling pattern. They let players with serious injuries play through them until the point where they fall over. Schilling last year and into this year, Foulke, and now Damon. The reason you get a backup center fielder is so that when the starter goes down, you can have the backup play until the starter is healthy again. And healthy does not mean pump him full of cortisone until he falls over. When the season is less than halfway over, healthy means, he plays well and his continued playing does not increase the risk of aggravation.

Now I'm all aggravated. #######.

P.S. BAM! ... and Jay Payton.
   124. Joel W Posted: September 27, 2005 at 04:47 AM (#1645174)
who somehow ####### gets through...

i don't think you can really blame them for foulke and schilling...well, you can blame them, but it was worth it...
   125. Phil Coorey. Posted: September 27, 2005 at 08:45 AM (#1645298)
Gripes

- Embree ruined the meet up

- Bellhorn sucked it up

- Foulke being terrible will maybe cost us a spot in the playoffs.

- Millar (no need to elaborate)
   126. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: September 27, 2005 at 10:32 AM (#1645317)
i don't think you can really blame them for foulke and schilling...well, you can blame them, but it was worth it...

I'm a broken ####### record for castigating the ####### who let this ####### travesty happen, but I'll repeat my ass again.

It's not about Foulke and Schilling being hurt from 2004. That's worth it, that's worth almost any price.

It's about Foulke and Schilling not taking the time or medical care they needed in order to get into playing shape. Both tried to pitch in April when their legs couldn't hold them up. If the Sox had done their job, and forced their players to take full rehabs and get necessary surgery, it's quite possible that Foulke and Schilling could have been helping the team for a good half season. At the very least, the Sox wouldn't have gotten below replacement production from the closer slot for most of the season.

It's not about Foulke and Schilling being hurt in April. It's about the management breakdown that allowed them to play even though they were hurt in April.
   127. villageidiom Posted: September 27, 2005 at 01:00 PM (#1645351)
My gripes from 2005:

A kidney stone, around the size of the letter "o" (lowercase) in Times New Roman 26-point font, but jagged like in this picture.

Everything else is tolerable.
   128. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 27, 2005 at 01:30 PM (#1645380)
Huh. BPro's playoff odds for today. Chance of Yankees winning the division: 50.50025%. Red Sox: 49.49975%. Yeah, that's pretty close.
   129. tfbg9 Posted: September 28, 2005 at 07:24 PM (#1648968)
Look again, Biff.
   130. Answer Guy. Posted: September 29, 2005 at 12:19 AM (#1649912)
C'mon Answer Guy. The Red Sox have 7 left at home. The Yankees have 7 left on the road. The schedule heavily favors the Sox from here. Have a little confidence.

Biff, I dunno what team you've been watching the last month plus, but the team I'm watching has an offense that's above average but prone to frequent off nights and a pitching staff that stinks on ice.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.