Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Hall of Merit > Discussion
Hall of Merit
— A Look at Baseball's All-Time Best

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Ranking the Hall of Merit Players That Are Not in the Hall of Fame

OK, I think our next order of business, after catching our breath and watching college football over the holidays should be to rank the Hall of Merit players that are not in the Hall of Fame.

One main requirement - we’re finished by next November - so if anyone with a ballot were to care, the results would be available before the Hall of Fame votes for 2009. There will be 57 or 58 players to rank, depending on whether or not Tim Raines is elected to the Hall of Fame.

I guess we should just start with brainstorming - how should we do it? One election, rank them from 1-58? Start with ranking them by era? Then have a weekly ballot among the highest ranked players from each era? We wouldn’t finish that by November, but we’d have the top guys done by then. Maybe that’s all we need anyway, to just start with ranking the top 20 players?

Other ideas?

I’ll list the 58 players on the thread.

JoeD has the Imperial March Stuck in His Head Posted: December 04, 2007 at 05:49 AM | 157 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Howie Menckel Posted: January 10, 2008 at 02:36 AM (#2665076)
not sure where this belongs, but I'm lifting this from a BTF thread.

this was Dick Thompson, the gentleman who memorably weighed in on some Lefty Grove/Wes Ferrell commentary on Hall of Merit threads. I dropped his age because there is some confusion about it.

R.I.P.

"Richard J. Thompson of Dartmouth died unexpectedly Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2008, at St. Luke's Hospital.
He was the husband of Barbara L. (Joseph) Thompson; and son of the late Leon F. and Marjorie (Paulding) Thompson. He was born in Brockton, was raised in Middleboro, residing in Whitman and Bridgewater for 22 years and in Dartmouth for 1 1/2 years.
Mr. Thompson was a registered nurse at Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Brockton for 32 years. He was a U.S. Navy veteran of the Vietnam War attaining the rank of E-4. He was the recipient of the National Defense Service Medal.
A baseball historian, researcher and published author, he wrote several articles on baseball history and authored "The Ferrell Brothers Of Baseball", which was published in 2005 by McFarland & Co. He was a member of the Society for American Baseball Research.
He was an avid runner and golfer and was a member of Lebaron Hills Country Club and the Country Club of New Bedford. Vacationing with his wife, fishing with his grandson and celebrating July 2nd birthdays, which he shared with his nephew, were some of the many things he enjoyed. Survivors include his wife of 23 years, Barbara L. (Joseph) Thompson of Dartmouth [etc]........"
   102. Paul Wendt Posted: January 10, 2008 at 05:26 AM (#2665172)
Richard J. Thompson of Dartmouth died unexpectedly Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2008,

Thank you, Howie. This is shocking to me (although I'm out of the loop). Dick seems so young for his age --at the semiannual Southern New England SABR meetings, present tense although I've missed the last three since entering grad school 1-1/2 years ago.

Our paths never crossed at Boston Public Library microforms, but I frequently and occasionally overlapped with two regulars who frequently overlapped with him --four middle-age men with unusual schedules or none.
   103. sunnyday2 Posted: January 10, 2008 at 12:19 PM (#2665236)
I don't know if he was young for his age but his age was young...I saw 52.
   104. Howie Menckel Posted: January 10, 2008 at 01:31 PM (#2665256)
Sunnyday, in reading the bio, the age looks incorrect. That's why I dropped it.
   105. Brent Posted: January 13, 2008 at 01:51 PM (#2667312)
Wow, that's sad news about Dick Thompson. I was looking forward to seeing the results of his research on Negro League pitcher Cannonball Bill Jackman.

Thinking of Thompson leads me to ask about another prolific minor league researcher, Carlos Bauer, who compiled statistics for the PCL and other minor leagues. His Web site, Minor League Researcher, was once very active, but it's been silent for the last 18 months. Does anyone know if Bauer is ok?
   106. Paul Wendt Posted: January 13, 2008 at 09:21 PM (#2667438)
I don't know and I'm practically out of the loop for two years that end this summer (I hope).
Visit sabr.org, select "Research", and write to the Minor Leagues Cmte chair. Rookie Chair Kevin McCann was a minor league baseball website author himself. (If you aren't a member now, Brent, then join. But you don't need to join whether a prominent researcher/author is deceased.) It's on my list to get a copy of the SABR Guide to MiLB Research (title?) that Bauer updated about the time he opened the website.
   107. David Concepcion de la Desviacion Estandar (Dan R) Posted: January 19, 2008 at 01:43 PM (#2671704)
What exactly is the methodology here again? First we rank the groups, then...
   108. sunnyday2 Posted: January 19, 2008 at 06:10 PM (#2671846)
First we rank within the groups....;-)
   109. David Concepcion de la Desviacion Estandar (Dan R) Posted: January 19, 2008 at 06:31 PM (#2671865)
Right, that's what I meant. And what's the next step?
   110. John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: January 19, 2008 at 10:54 PM (#2672018)
...and was so unmercifully shredded for it that he never posted on BTF again after that.

That's crap, Kevin. He had been talking about leaving before that incident. As for the incident at hand, he certainly wasn't beat up by our group unfairly.

I admired the man for his work and his tenacity and he left us way too early, but Dick did not accept differences of opinion very well. When he accused Chris Jaffe of plagiarism for having the temerity to use Retrosheet for his analysis, he went way over the line.
   111. John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: January 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM (#2672048)
For those interested, the brouhaha started at post #134 if you want to figure out who was right or wrong here.

FWIW, I stand by everything that I posted.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.