Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, April 01, 2016

2016 New York City Softball Game

Looks like it will be August 20th this year.

EDIT by villageidiom:
Per post 116 the game will be 11 am to 2 pm in North Meadow Field #4.

The field is just barely on the west half of the meadow, with home plate sitting down the LF line of field 3.  If you come out the north side of the rec center it’s the field straight ahead of you. We were on field 11 two years ago, if that helps to narrow it down. Last year we were 17 blocks south of here, so don’t even bother using that as a landmark. Here’s a map of the north meadow ballfields.

Subway: A, B, or C to 96 St. Walk up to 97th and enter the park. Proceed east and figure it out from there, who am I, your Ma?

Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: April 01, 2016 at 09:33 AM | 450 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: community, meetups, new york, skillz

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Stormy JE Posted: April 30, 2016 at 12:20 PM (#5208893)
You've got a big head, reech. When was the last time you had the urine tested?
   102. catomi01 Posted: April 30, 2016 at 05:05 PM (#5208974)
Training for the game has begun...thanks to Rainouts earlier in the spring I had 7 games last Sunday and Monday...this week is even better - 2 games tonight, 2 Tomorrow morning, two rounds of playoffs in the afternoon, and two games monday night...please reserve a spot for me on the BTF Disabled List, I will be there shortly.
   103. villageidiom Posted: April 30, 2016 at 09:19 PM (#5209113)
I don't know what substances are banned for Primerball, but I'm not in charge of collecting the samples.
   104. reech Posted: April 30, 2016 at 10:26 PM (#5209168)
Actually, I get my urine tested every month (I'm diabetic).

But, it ain't bragging if you can do it!!!!!!!
   105. villageidiom Posted: May 11, 2016 at 02:41 PM (#5218860)
9. villageidiom Posted: April 01, 2016 at 10:46 PM (#5186473)
Unless that's the move-in weekend for my daughter's college, I should be there.

...aaaaaand it looks like her move-in date is in the middle of the following week. Who does that?

Anyway, it looks like my main contingency is resolved. My status as a "yes" is sustained.
   106. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 11, 2016 at 03:04 PM (#5218892)
For the post-game celebration, may I recommend the aptly named Stumpy's Hatchet House:
The idea for Stumpy’s Hatchet House, the first indoor hatchet throwing venue in the United States, was homegrown by two couples, Kelly and Stuart Josberger, of Toms River, and Trish and Mark Oliphant, of Lakehurst.

“One of the things that we all liked about it was, it was something a little primitive, a little organic, kind of primal to pick up an ax to throw it at a target,” Stuart Josberger said. “We just felt there was a kind of need for this type of a business,” said Trish Oliphant.

It took the two 50-something couples about a year to find a suitable space with high enough ceilings and to complete the build-out. “We talked to a lot of landlords, and they were like, ‘Yeah, no thank you,'" Mark Oliphant said.

But when the owners saw the blue and chartreuse boxing gym in Eatontown they knew it could be a BYOB hatchet-throwing haven for people over 21.

Sounds like a BBTF type of place. What could go wrong? It's out in New Jersey someplace, but Howie is probably a regular and could set you up.
   107. Howie Menckel Posted: May 11, 2016 at 03:38 PM (#5218949)
“A lot of people say, ‘Hatchets and beer, that sounds really dangerous,’ ” Kelly Josberger said.

I'll never forget my first trip to Slugger's 30 years ago - the Wrigleyville bar with batting cages on the 2nd floor. even in our relative youth, we thought that was lunacy.

Stumpy's is in Eatontown, I see. down the Shore, Exit 105 on Garden State Parkway. Asbury Park and Monmouth Park in the general area. a good hour south without traffic and on that day, whoa a lot of traffic, alas.
   108. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: May 11, 2016 at 03:52 PM (#5218961)
I'll never forget my first trip to Slugger's 30 years ago - the Wrigleyville bar with batting cages on the 2nd floor. even in our relative youth, we thought that was lunacy.

There's a batting range out in Vegas that sells cheap beer. They also have the most erratic 80 MPH cages I've ever seen, slippery batters boxes, and unenforced helmet rules. They're really, really trying to get themselves sued.

Oh, and consider me somewhere between doubtful and questionable for the softballing. I may not be in the area, and I'm good at flaking on things, but one of these years I'll get myself there.
   109. Hot Wheeling American Posted: May 11, 2016 at 03:57 PM (#5218967)
I should be able to make this
   110. Stormy JE Posted: May 11, 2016 at 04:03 PM (#5218978)
Oh, and consider me somewhere between doubtful and questionable for the softballing. I may not be in the area, and I'm good at flaking on things, but one of these years I'll get myself there.
You are hereby stripped of your Met fandom, Dog.
   111. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: May 11, 2016 at 04:06 PM (#5218982)
Do I get it back if I show up? I'll give you yours back if you promise not to say anymore nice things about John Sterling.
   112. Stormy JE Posted: May 11, 2016 at 04:22 PM (#5219004)
Do I get it back if I show up? I'll give you yours back if you promise not to say anymore nice things about John Sterling.
Dude, that was 1985 -- and Sterling was with the last-place, Western Division Braves at the time. They weren't even a rival of the Amazins back then. Let it go.

But yeah, never ever (ever!) let Sterling get ahead of you on a buffet line...
   113. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: May 11, 2016 at 04:28 PM (#5219011)
Sorry, Jason, but some things are just too important to let go.
   114. catomi01 Posted: May 12, 2016 at 08:20 AM (#5219372)

Some of my favorite time involve drinking and batting cages...when I worked for the Bluefish, me and the relief pitchers would do this all the time after games...was great fun until I failed to get back behind the L-screen in time...
   115. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM (#5219638)
Another update:

YES:
Shooty
H&U
Lassus +1 (team photog!)
vi
Zeth +1 (as long as he's not a choral singer!)
Rickey!
Jason
Karl from NY (because I'm too lazy to create a separate listing for "probable")
Ray +2!
BDC
reech
catomi01
Snapper (if it's the 20th!) (hope Shooty hears something definite soon!)
Fatty Cow (because "should be able to" = "I'll be there!")

MAYBE:
Greg K possible +1, (if they're still on speaking terms)
McCoy and a +1
billyshears
blastin
Edmundo
zenbitz
Scott
Swoboda a "very likely" maybe
Howie (try not to schedule any surgeries right before the date this year, okay mate?)
Dog on the Sidewalk Jason will be calling/emailing regularly with reminders so you don't "flake"

Let's get some more Yesses here.
   116. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: May 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM (#5220384)
OK, knuckleheads, August 20th is now official. 11 am to 2 pm Field # 4 North Meadow.
   117. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: May 13, 2016 at 11:26 AM (#5220386)
OK, knuckleheads, August 20th is now official. 11 am to 2 pm Field # 4 North Meadow.

Cool, 99% sure I can be there.
   118. catomi01 Posted: May 13, 2016 at 11:55 AM (#5220410)
How long do we have the field for? I have something in Bridgeport later that same day.

Nevermind - I learned how to read.
   119. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 13, 2016 at 03:22 PM (#5220576)
Awright Shooty, thanks a heap. You da man! Etc etc

So, those of you traveling Long Distances, still plenty of time to book a flight! Though if you're coming from overseas, you've likely waited too long to get the best price. But maybe you'll get lucky.

There's good news for our neighbors to the north, though. There's no sea between the US and Canada*, so flights between our two imperia are considered "domestic," so you haven't missed the ticket-buying sweet spot. [Experienced travelers to denigrate my sources in 5,4,3,....]

*Yes, not actually news, and YMMV as to whether this is "good"
   120. BDC Posted: May 13, 2016 at 03:33 PM (#5220588)
There's no sea between the US and Canada

I recently learned, though, that there is something with the Tolkienesque name of "The Bay of Fundy."
   121. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: May 13, 2016 at 03:55 PM (#5220615)
There's no sea between the US and Canada

Due to their sea-like characteristics (rolling waves, sustained winds, strong currents, great depths, and distant horizons) the five Great Lakes have also long been referred to as inland seas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes

122. Omineca Greg Posted: May 13, 2016 at 04:27 PM (#5220654)
I recently learned, though, that there is something with the Tolkienesque name of "The Bay of Fundy."

If you're lucky you'll be there at the Syzygy...if you're really lucky your Syzygy will be Perigean.
   123. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 13, 2016 at 05:37 PM (#5220732)
Move me from a maybe to a yes, I have nothing on my schedule for that weekend.

Time to start working on my swing!
   124. Stormy JE Posted: May 13, 2016 at 05:47 PM (#5220743)
0384)OK, knuckleheads, August 20th is now official. 11 am to 2 pm Field # 4 North Meadow.

OK, Sammy, November 19th is now official. 11 am to 2pm Field #4 North Meadow.
   125. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 13, 2016 at 06:29 PM (#5220775)
OK, Sammy, November 19th is now official. 11 am to 2pm Field #4 North Meadow.

November 19th? Will Sammy be flying to New York so that you two can have a catch in the snow on that day?

Not sure you'll need the full three hours for that...
   126. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 14, 2016 at 05:41 PM (#5221169)
YES:
Shooty
H&U
Lassus +1 (team photog!)
vi
Rickey!
Jason
Ray +2!
BDC
reech
catomi01
Scott now a YES since he has nothing else to do that weekend

MAYBE:
McCoy and a +1
billyshears
blastin
Edmundo
zenbitz

Howie (try not to schedule any surgeries right before the date this year, okay mate?)
Dog on the Sidewalk Jason will be calling/emailing regularly with reminders so you don't "flake"

I love this site. Make any kind of declarative statement and immediately at least 3 people will contradict you. Takes me back to my childhood, growing up in the Useless household!
   127. NattyBoh Posted: May 23, 2016 at 01:45 PM (#5227091)
I'm probable. I'm local, but I have a go-live on Labor Day.
   128. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: May 23, 2016 at 01:54 PM (#5227103)
Lassus, are you pre-recording the National Anthem?
   129. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 23, 2016 at 02:05 PM (#5227122)
NattyBoh, "probables" get listed under YES, which means if you don't show we put out a contract on you (it's surprisingly reasonably priced in today's economy).

So, updating again:

YES:
Shooty
H&U
Lassus +1 (team photog!)
vi
Rickey!
Jason
Ray +2!
BDC
reech
catomi01
NattyBoh see not above for Karl from NY

MAYBE:
McCoy and a +1
billyshears
blastin
Edmundo
zenbitz

130. villageidiom Posted: June 06, 2016 at 04:14 PM (#5237603)
If I'm doing the math right on the above, we have:

20 YES
11 MAYBE

I'm looking forward to some of those maybes turning to yes.

(Editor note: I've re-opened this thread for comments. It should stay open through some time in September. -vi)
   131. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 06, 2016 at 04:31 PM (#5237615)
Thanks vi! I didn't realize the thread had been closed, just thought everybody was too busy prepping for the Big Day to enter more comments.

All you maybes, c'mon, time to go for the full-throated YES.
   132. McCoy Posted: June 06, 2016 at 04:34 PM (#5237620)
I think I said it but the plus 1 would be unlikely to play softball and more likely to make fun of you all..
   133. Greg K Posted: June 06, 2016 at 05:32 PM (#5237676)
My maybe should be resolved pretty soon. I'll be hearing about a job in the next couple weeks which may or may not conflict.
   134. Howie Menckel Posted: June 06, 2016 at 05:43 PM (#5237681)
I was pretty sure I re-broke my left middle finger at BBTF 2014, since after the game I noticed it kinda tilted toward 11 o'clock rather than 12 (rendering my dominant hand's 'f u' salute kind of lame). I hit some golf balls a couple of weeks ago, and I definitely noticed something again (not pain, more like discomfort).

now the top part of the digit is squarely at 11 a.m. I went to an orthopedist - figuring if it's a break, I might have time to have surgery and recoup in time for the game. He checks the x-rays, tells me I have "severe arthritis."

Me: "I just hiked 8 miles over the past two days."
Him: "You didn't use your hands."
Me: "I would have guessed that 'severe arthritis' would be defined by two things: pain, and limited movement. I have neither."
Him: "Just take Advil before and after you exercise, for the pain."
Me: "I hike an hour or more non-stop, up REALLY nasty hills. No pain. Why do I need Advil again?"

I do have three other fingers that are not hand-model material, either, but I figured they were among the ones I had broken as a kid and they're just wearing down. He seemed to think not. It was fun to see him pressing down on some knobby parts at the joint, staring at me intently to catch a flinch. Doc, I'm not hiding pain, it doesn't hurt.

Ok, so I need to go to a rheumatologist, then. I call June 1... "Ok, our next available appointment is.... Oct. 4."
Me: "Hmm, have you considered expanding your practice? No, if not, you might want to consider it."

I tried someone else, and scored an Aug. 6 appt.

Thanks Obama!

I just need to know that if I play, my fingers won't fall off or something. To be fair to the doc, they DO look like they should be painful. If I can make a serum out of whatever I got in here, I could make billions in the pain management sector for sure.

If it doesn't work out, I can join McCoy's friend in the heckling...
   135. villageidiom Posted: June 06, 2016 at 06:31 PM (#5237710)
Thanks vi! I didn't realize the thread had been closed, just thought everybody was too busy prepping for the Big Day to enter more comments.
I noticed it today. Now that I'm an editor (for Sox Therapy) I'd noticed that threads tend to have a default comment-closing date but it can be changed. I was curious to see if I could, for a thread I didn't post. Success!

I just need to know that if I play, my fingers won't fall off or something. To be fair to the doc, they DO look like they should be painful.
Can they lift a pint? Then you're clear.
   136. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 06, 2016 at 06:37 PM (#5237714)
"Just take Advil before and after you exercise, for the pain."

Howie is going to be allowed to use PEDs?
   137. Howie Menckel Posted: June 06, 2016 at 08:33 PM (#5237754)

"Can they lift a pint? Then you're clear."

That'll be my hands-specific therapy!

just banged out another 2 miles on the hill. was about a dozen paces behind two people half my age as we neared the 1/4 mile beastly section, and my thought wasn't that they'd pull away, but that I might pass them! never did, but they never shook me, either. that couple must have been demoralized, lol

is there a "Best Calves" contest after the softball game? I forget....
   138. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 07, 2016 at 01:24 PM (#5238154)
vi, glad we've got a man on the inside now!

YC, advil (and caffeine!) aren't PEDs. Ask Andy, they're exactly like amps, just help you get back up to your "normal" level. And considering how low that level is for many of us...maybe we should be allowed to go full steroid.

Howie, apparently arthritis can be really specifically targeted. Doctor told me 10 or 12 years ago that I have arthritis in my left foot. The big toe can barely bend, which restricts my walking stride somewhat. Doesn't generally hurt, just means if I try to walk with either of my kids they have to slow down from their usual 4.5 - 5 mph pace and work very hard to keep from laughing at the old man.
   139. Greg K Posted: June 07, 2016 at 03:22 PM (#5238330)
Bad news. Just got offered that job...and I have to be there in August. So 90% maybe just got down-graded to 25% maybe. I might be flexible since all of August will be course preparation rather than actual teaching. But I probably won't book anything until I'm settled in.
   140. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: June 07, 2016 at 03:28 PM (#5238336)
Put me down as a "maybe."
   141. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 07, 2016 at 03:52 PM (#5238368)
Dang Greg, that is bad news! From my selfish perspective, much rather have you unemployed and available to visit NYC than under the thumb of The Man. Though I suppose the Canadian Man is probably more, I dunno, more Walter Pidgeon than Clint Eastwood. Hope you'll be able to play hookey for a couple of days and come share your mad skillz with us.
   142. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 07, 2016 at 04:03 PM (#5238380)
Update #once again:

YES:
Shooty
H&U
Lassus +1 (team photog!)
vi
Rickey!
Jason
Ray +2!
BDC
reech
catomi01
NattyBoh see not above for Karl from NY

MAYBE:

McCoy and a NON-PLAYING +1
billyshears
blastin
Edmundo
zenbitz

Howie (try not to schedule any surgeries right before the date this year, okay mate?) and ignore that Arthur-itis!
(Met Fan Charlie) Let's start a chant!: Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!

[Making Greg K more of an "unlikely but still hopeful"]

If anybody happens to conversate with Shooty, be good to know if he's heard from the Parks people yet.
   143. villageidiom Posted: June 07, 2016 at 04:20 PM (#5238398)
116. Shooty is obsessed with the latest hoodie Posted: May 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM (#5220384)
   144. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 08, 2016 at 04:23 PM (#5239323)
Duh! I knew that at one point in the distant past, and then 3 or 4 days happened, and the slate was wiped clean again.

Please, no one ever call me as a witness in your defense. Your case will be sunk under the weight of my "Uhs" and out-and-out misrememberings.
   145. Chicago Joe Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:00 PM (#5239356)
Eff it, I'm in.
   146. Chicago Joe Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:01 PM (#5239358)

is there a "Best Calves" contest after the softball game? I forget....

Only if you order the veal.
   147. Stormy JE Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:17 PM (#5239377)
Eff it, I'm in.
We need the dues.
   148. Chicago Joe Posted: June 08, 2016 at 06:01 PM (#5239417)
Oh, I've paid my dues.
   149. Howie Menckel Posted: June 08, 2016 at 10:16 PM (#5239613)
concise and poignant, from a man I saw enter into the belly of the BBTF Annual Softball 2015 beast and emerge - if not unscathed, one hopes not unscarred, either....
   150. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 09, 2016 at 02:29 PM (#5240126)
Awright CJ. Looks like we'll have enough bodies that I'll be able to do my usual of play 6 innings and then rest & recuperate for the post-game...
   151. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 09, 2016 at 07:55 PM (#5240424)
Got another Yes, thetailor (Brian). I tracked him down and got him to commit. Didn't even have to threaten him!

So, as of now:

YES:
Shooty
H&U
Lassus +1 (team photog!)
vi
Zeth +1
Rickey!
Jason
Karl from NY (actually "probable")
Ray +2!
BDC
reech
catomi01
Snapper
Scott
NattyBoh same as above for Karl from NY
Chicago Joe
thetailor (Brian)

MAYBE:

McCoy and a NON-PLAYING +1
billyshears
blastin
Edmundo
zenbitz

Howie (he keeps playing the "lowering expectations" game but we fully expect him to show up, even if all he does is regale us with Tales of the Newsroom BITGOD)
Dog on the Sidewalk if he doesn't "flake"
(Met Fan Charlie) Let's start a chant!: Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!

[Making Greg K more of an "unlikely but still hopeful"]

If anybody can get a hold of Obo, see if you can wrangle him.
   152. McCoy Posted: June 09, 2016 at 08:08 PM (#5240442)
It just got a little rougher for me to make it. Going to be in Panama at the beginning of the month so I don't know if I'll have the time to get up there on the 20th.
   153. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 10, 2016 at 11:42 AM (#5240814)
Sorry to hear that McCoy. Wasn't the same without you last year, two in a row will be rough. Hope you can work things out.
   154. thetailor (Brian) Posted: June 11, 2016 at 02:46 PM (#5241565)
YEAHHHHHHH!!!! Thanks to Hysterical & Useless for tracking me down. I usually look for the stickied post but I didn't see one so far this year so I thought you guys were just slacking on planning.

I've been there the last two years in a row and I'm gunning for three. 2014 I was a major asset to my team. 2015 I was a major liability to my team. That's baseball, Suzyn!

We did some pretty solid drinking afterwards last year but for some reason I couldn't stay as long as I wanted. As of now, BBTF Softball is the only thing on my calendar for August 20th...
   155. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 12, 2016 at 08:35 PM (#5242157)
Brian, anybody who does good work at the post-game comes out on the plus side for the day. At least, that's what I tell myself...
   156. thetailor (Brian) Posted: June 13, 2016 at 04:30 PM (#5242677)
Sample Size caveats apply to my on-field performance, but my off-field performance stabilizes after one beer.
   157. villageidiom Posted: June 17, 2016 at 02:28 PM (#5246079)
Just bumping this to say...

IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO NYC PRIMER SOFTBALL YOU REALLY SHOULD GO. IT'S FUN.

ALTHOUGH THIS MESSAGE IS IN ALL CAPS IT WAS NOT WRITTEN BY TOLAXOR. THANK YOU.
   158. thetailor (Brian) Posted: June 17, 2016 at 04:11 PM (#5246196)
I MISS TOLAXOR
   159. Karl from NY Posted: June 19, 2016 at 06:36 PM (#5247329)
You may upgrade me to a fairly solid Yes for the game, but a most likely No for any postgame revelry as I've got something else to go to right after.
   160. Bote Man Posted: June 19, 2016 at 08:08 PM (#5247368)
I wouldn't play in any softball game that would have me.
   161. McCoy Posted: June 22, 2016 at 07:49 PM (#5250191)
I going to be in NYC in July if anyone wants to play softball then. 19th through the 21st. There is once again the possibility that I'll be in NYC for the softball game.

I've also noticed that you can no longer buy the BTF softball tees at cafepress. A shame.
   162. Howie Menckel Posted: June 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM (#5250289)
"going to be in NYC in July if anyone wants to play softball then. 19th through the 21st."

warning - he can actually play competently, unlike some of us. adjust accordingly.
:)
   163. McCoy Posted: June 22, 2016 at 11:14 PM (#5250305)
I'm older now and I've discovered that I, um, don't have as much stamina as I used to have. I think a Tough Mudder might actually kill me now.
   164. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 23, 2016 at 01:00 PM (#5250574)
Unfortunately, those are weekdays and I will still be working so I won't be in town. But we'll keep hoping you make it back for August.
   165. thetailor (Brian) Posted: June 28, 2016 at 01:49 PM (#5253972)
Bump!
   166. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 28, 2016 at 03:07 PM (#5254079)
So Ray just announced in the OTP thread that he (and his +2) might not be able to come. Everyone please go there to razz him.
   167. villageidiom Posted: June 28, 2016 at 05:51 PM (#5254288)
So Ray just announced in the OTP thread that he (and his +2) might not be able to come. Everyone please go there to razz him.
It's a trap!
   168. BDC Posted: July 02, 2016 at 02:12 PM (#5257250)
OK, as I plan for this momentous contest, what do I need to bring (aside apparently from a wallet full of beer money, which has been mentioned several times). Cleats are not on, I'm wearing sneakers. I will wear some sort of shorts and a hat. Do y'all play with a 16" clincher, or do I need to bring a glove? Clearly somebody in NYC brings the bats because I am not taking a bat on the plane from Texas, not that I own one. I still think appointing me official scorer would be the best use of my abilities.
   169. McCoy Posted: July 04, 2016 at 02:18 PM (#5258212)
The last chance I had to go has not come through so unless I win the lottery I will not be attending.
   170. villageidiom Posted: July 04, 2016 at 02:31 PM (#5258219)
BDC -

Bring a glove. Wear sunscreen. Bring a water bottle, too.

Someone local will bring bats and bases. Uh... right, guys? Right?
   171. catomi01 Posted: July 04, 2016 at 04:17 PM (#5258268)
Someone local will bring bats and bases. Uh... right, guys? Right?

I'll have a couple of bats, bases I'll leave to someone who doesn't have to ride a train to get there.
   172. Stormy JE Posted: July 04, 2016 at 05:35 PM (#5258289)
OK, as I plan for this momentous contest, what do I need to bring (aside apparently from a wallet full of beer money, which has been mentioned several times). Cleats are not on, I'm wearing sneakers. I will wear some sort of shorts and a hat. Do y'all play with a 16" clincher, or do I need to bring a glove? Clearly somebody in NYC brings the bats because I am not taking a bat on the plane from Texas, not that I own one. I still think appointing me official scorer would be the best use of my abilities.
IIRC, we use a Clincher. And bring your AMEX because rookies are on the hook for the first few rounds.
   173. Chicago Joe Posted: July 04, 2016 at 06:17 PM (#5258295)
Not a 16-inch ball, though. We wore gloves last year.
   174. Stormy JE Posted: July 04, 2016 at 06:28 PM (#5258298)
Not a 16-inch ball, though. We wore gloves last year.
Agreed, we're not Midwestern Neanderthals.
   175. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 04, 2016 at 06:50 PM (#5258304)
What time are you guys playing? Turns out I will be in NYC that weekend visiting family so put me down as a maybe.
   176. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 04, 2016 at 07:12 PM (#5258308)

Do people actually play with 16 inch mush balls on purpose?!
   177. Stormy JE Posted: July 04, 2016 at 07:19 PM (#5258311)
Do people actually play with 16 inch mush balls on purpose?!
To be sure, there's nothing wrong with 12" mush.
   178. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 04, 2016 at 07:45 PM (#5258320)
The annual Anthony Kennedy of BBTF family softball game just took place this weekend, and I logged a 1-2 performance with a double, ROE, 2 ribbies, and 2 runs scored. Didn't even make any errors in the field! Let's do this thing!
   179. Chicago Joe Posted: July 05, 2016 at 12:02 AM (#5258374)

Even a neanderthal knows a "clincher" is a 16-inch ball, notwithstanding the trademark.
   180. catomi01 Posted: July 05, 2016 at 12:04 AM (#5258376)
IIRC, we use a Clincher. And bring your AMEX because rookies are on the hook for the first few rounds.

Yes - 12" clincher - I brought a few last year and should be able to again this year...if I remember they were pretty well dead by the end of the day, so i'll try to bring at least 3 or 4 so we can swap a new one in.
   181. Bote Man Posted: July 05, 2016 at 12:47 AM (#5258383)
I can do the radio play-by-play.
   182. BDC Posted: July 06, 2016 at 11:59 AM (#5259459)
Thanks, everyone – I feel well-prepared now.
   183. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 06, 2016 at 03:45 PM (#5259716)
Dave, great that you might be able to make it. Per Shooty, we're playing at 11 AM on field # 4 in the North Meadow.

116. Shooty is obsessed with the latest hoodie
Posted: May 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM (#5220384)

Central Park has a very useful interactive map on their website, so you can see where the fields are in relation to the surrounding streets.
   184. catomi01 Posted: July 06, 2016 at 03:46 PM (#5259717)

I think we need an official scorer to preserve the memory of the game.
   185. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 06, 2016 at 03:48 PM (#5259725)
McCoy, bummer that you won't be able to make it. This is two in a row now, you have to make the next one or your primateship gets revoked. You'll need to take a test to get it back.
   186. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 06, 2016 at 03:50 PM (#5259727)
184. catomi01
Posted: July 06, 2016 at 03:46 PM (#5259717)

Lord, most of us do our best to forget these things.
   187. catomi01 Posted: July 06, 2016 at 04:39 PM (#5259804)
Lord, most of us do our best to forget these things.

Selective editing...a 3 base error is much more impressive as a triple.
   188. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 06, 2016 at 04:43 PM (#5259808)
Central Park has a very useful interactive map on their website, so you can see where the fields are in relation to the surrounding streets.

Have we selected a bar yet, for the post-game?

Looks like we're north of 100th St., midway between East and West.

Anyone know anything good in the high 90's E or W?
   189. Bote Man Posted: July 07, 2016 at 05:59 PM (#5260788)
Sports Authority has 40% off a lot of stuff during their going out of business sale. I just stopped by and there were tons of softballs and related baseball equipment at the Fort Lauderdale store. No telling what's left at stores up north in the hinterlands, but if you need stuff it's worth checking there first.
   190. villageidiom Posted: July 07, 2016 at 06:13 PM (#5260794)

Fortunately in last year's thread I found a volunteer!

597. thetailor (Brian) Posted: August 19, 2015 at 02:34 PM (#5022254)
I DO.

ALSO, BUMP.

I wish we had kept a scorebook so that we could reflect on the game. Next year I promise to do it.
   191. Howie Menckel Posted: July 07, 2016 at 08:51 PM (#5260926)
arthritis has hit my left foot this week. 55 and fading.

does anyone need a first base coach?

#oldachesandpains
   192. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 08, 2016 at 07:51 AM (#5261137)
I am still a maybe but the odds are improving. I'll be there if we don't have a system deployment that weekend. But I can't risk injury to my very shaky knees -- we'll be moving in September and my wife is recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I have to be able to pack for the two of us.
I can heckle as needed. ;)
   193. Stormy JE Posted: July 08, 2016 at 10:52 AM (#5261277)
I am still a maybe but the odds are improving. I'll be there if we don't have a system deployment that weekend. But I can't risk injury to my very shaky knees -- we'll be moving in September and my wife is recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I have to be able to pack for the two of us.
I can heckle as needed. ;)

It sounds like we'll have no shortage of first-base coaches and official scorers.
   194. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 08, 2016 at 11:34 AM (#5261315)
Why is no one addressing the critical issue here? Where is the post game?

A few years back we had some interminable death march before we found a bar. Never again!
   195. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM (#5262871)
Year before last we trekked east, found a place that was overflowing with people watching professional grass-growing (as CFB would say), so continued south a block or 2 to a place that had both space and a TV tuned to the Mets game. We all sat and ordered food. Which we ate while Howie regaled us with war stories from his years in the trenches of Sports Journalism. Last year we headed west, found a place where most folks went to the back, an area up a few steps from the main bar area. I spent most of the time at the bar, where reech and I solved all the problems of the world. Unfortunately, the world wasn't listening.

Doubly unfortunately, I remember neither where these places were, nor what they were called. But this is New York, there are probably others like them to be found.
   196. Bote Man Posted: July 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM (#5262891)
Why not have McCoy just open up a place for us? There should be sufficient time.
   197. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM (#5262896)
vi, thanks for finding that! I'll have to email Brian to remind him.

Bote Man, if snapper is all trail of tears about walking 8 blocks to find a place, I think walking to Delmarva (wherever the heck McCoy is now located) might be a bridge too far.
   198. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM (#5262898)
Year before last we trekked east, found a place that was overflowing with people watching professional grass-growing (as CFB would say), so continued south a block or 2 to a place that had both space and a TV tuned to the Mets game. We all sat and ordered food. Which we ate while Howie regaled us with war stories from his years in the trenches of Sports Journalism. Last year we headed west, found a place where most folks went to the back, an area up a few steps from the main bar area. I spent most of the time at the bar, where reech and I solved all the problems of the world. Unfortunately, the world wasn't listening.

Doubly unfortunately, I remember neither where these places were, nor what they were called. But this is New York, there are probably others like them to be found.

Year before last I'm pretty sure we tried Kinsale on 94th and 3rd (which appears to be closed for renovations), and ended up a few blocks down 3rd.
   199. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 11, 2016 at 01:06 PM (#5262906)
Bote Man, if snapper is all trail of tears about walking 8 blocks to find a place,

It was more like 25 blocks. I don't mind walking, but that's 30 minutes of valuable drinking time.

Plus, I need to know which side of the Park to park on.
   200. Lassus Posted: July 11, 2016 at 01:06 PM (#5262907)
We could go to Ray's apartment. I hear he isn't even going to be home.
Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Traderdave
for his generous support.