Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 12, 2019

2019 MLB Rule 5 Draft | MLB.com

Major League Phase

Round 1
1. Tigers: RHP Rony Garcia (Yankees)
2. Orioles: RHP Brandon Bailey (Astros)
3. Marlins: RHP Sterling Sharp (Nationals’ #13 prospect)
4. Royals: RHP Stephen Woods (Rays)
5. Mariners: RHP Yohan Ramirez (Astros)
6. Reds: OF Mark Payton (A’s)
7. Giants: RHP Danny Jimenez (Blue Jays)
8. Phillies: SS Vimael Machin (Cubs)
9. Cubs: RHP Trevor Megill (Padres)
10. Red Sox: SS Jonathan Arauz (Astros)

Round 2
1. Orioles: Michael Rucker (Cubs)

Jim Furtado Posted: December 12, 2019 at 01:04 PM | 33 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: rule 5 draft

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Zonk didn't order a hit on an ambassador Posted: December 12, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5908182)
Given its fairly barren farm nature, I'm somewhat amused that two Cubs got selected...

And let me complain for a minute about the Cubs blogs who previewed the roster/rule 5 - because I don't remember Machin even coming up as eligible (I might have just missed him on the lists)... Him, I think I would have protected (the Cubs had room!).

Machin got a bit of darkhorse prospect buzz a few years back - but had an absolutely dreadful 2018. He bounced back nicely this past year - though, he's 26 so he's a bit old for a prospect. He can't really play SS - but he could be Tommy La Stella... left-handed hitter with good plate control, wee bit of pop. I suppose the fact that he can't really handle SS except in Mike Fontenot style emergencies (and that did not... go well) limits his value as a utility IF, but still. Rucker, I'm less bothered about... fungible arm.

I know nothing about Megill other than what I just looked up -- also a bit old (26), but good K rates.... I suppose the Cubs had some decent luck with former Padres Rowan Wick and Brad Wieck, so why not go Padre dumpster diving again...
   2. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 12, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5908195)
Megill is solid - fb/sl/cu all are average to solid pitches. decent control, knows what he's doing.
No idea why Baltimore picked Rucker - spin rate maybe?
   3. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:02 PM (#5908199)
Interesting that teams shied away from toolsy position players - Arauz (who caught my eye a year or two back) is the exception - though he's nowhere near ready to help a big league team, imo. Mark Payton got a poor man's Brett Gardner comp in college and it's sort of true. Real small (he's not 5-8) but a "professional hitter" who never had much power until the silly ball of AAA this year such that he OPSed in the four digits. Could stick as a platoon outfielder (you don't want him in center, though).
Several selected relievers are coin flips to help a team and I like Miami taking Sharp if they're patient with him (blah stuff, but gets grounders) and let him grow into a 5th starter role.
   4. JJ1986 Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5908202)
No lefty pitchers taken after the rule change. There were a couple of guys who I thought were interesting (based purely on statlines) including Yankee James Reeves.
   5. For the Turnstiles (andeux) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5908206)
Phillies flip Machin to the A's for cash considerations. After trading Profar, Oakland had said they want a LHH option at 2B.
   6. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:13 PM (#5908210)
Cubs: RHP Trevor Megill (Padres)

I hear he calls himself Lil.
   7. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:18 PM (#5908214)
I hear he calls himself Lil.
That's odd. He's listed as Nancy in the media guide.
   8. Spahn Insane Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:24 PM (#5908219)
Not just the media guide. Everyone knows him by that name, after all.
   9. Bourbon Samurai stays in the fight Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:33 PM (#5908224)
Nats fandom is totally baffled as to why Sterling Sharp was left unprotected when they had plenty of roster space and everybody pegged him to be picked
   10. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:40 PM (#5908228)
yeah, that was weird to me. it's not like he's an unknown guy either.
   11. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5908239)
No idea why Baltimore picked Rucker - spin rate maybe?

Mid-90s velocity and two average secondaries, so he ought to be a decent reliever, and Baltimore really needs pitching. (Well, they need everything, but you get what I mean.)

Interestingly, both of Baltimore's R5 pitchers were college starters at Gonzaga, though Rucker ended up transferring to BYU.
   12. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5908240)
Machin got a bit of darkhorse prospect buzz a few years back - but had an absolutely dreadful 2018. He bounced back nicely this past year - though, he's 26 so he's a bit old for a prospect. He can't really play SS - but he could be Tommy La Stella... left-handed hitter with good plate control, wee bit of pop. I suppose the fact that he can't really handle SS except in Mike Fontenot style emergencies (and that did not... go well) limits his value as a utility IF, but still.

If there was going to be an older AAA shortstop taken, I would've expected it to be Chad De La Guerra, though I can understand what someone might like about Machin.
   13. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5908241)
Real small (he's not 5-8)

I saw an interview earlier this year where he admitted that he's really 5'6'', which is even shorter than me. He sure hit the #### out of the ball this year, though, and he performed respectably for Team USA after the end of the season. I'll be interested to see how he does.
   14. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:08 PM (#5908242)
Nats fandom is totally baffled as to why Sterling Sharp was left unprotected when they had plenty of roster space and everybody pegged him to be picked

Honestly, the Nats got lucky as it is. I thought there was a very real chance of Fuentes being taken, too.
   15. Zonk didn't order a hit on an ambassador Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:12 PM (#5908246)
Mid-90s velocity and two average secondaries, so he ought to be a decent reliever, and Baltimore really needs pitching. (Well, they need everything, but you get what I mean.)

On that note - I'm a little bit surprised the Orioles didn't take Wander Javier... He'd obviously get completely destroyed by big league pitching - like embarrassingly so - but he is (was?) a legit blue chip talent and with all his injury problems, you'd think he'd be the kind of guy a team like the Orioles snags and then tries to basically hide on the DL.
   16. The Duke Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:12 PM (#5908247)
Megill and her man were at the winter meetings for a hoe down
   17. Rally Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:31 PM (#5908251)
you'd think he'd be the kind of guy a team like the Orioles snags and then tries to basically hide on the DL.

He has to be on the active roster for a certain amount of days for that to work, if he was on the DL all of 2020 they'd have to keep him on the roster in 2021.
   18. Rally Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:36 PM (#5908255)
For a guy who's only been a pro for 5 years, Machin's defensive stats table is incredibly long. He's played at least a little at 8 positions. And the one he actually has not played will probably not be your first or second guess.
   19. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5908257)
Because he's 54 years old, and a football player?
   20. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:39 PM (#5908258)
Megill and her man were at the winter meetings for a hoe down
It's really a damn shame that he didn't get picked by Colorado.
   21. Zonk didn't order a hit on an ambassador Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5908268)
He has to be on the active roster for a certain amount of days for that to work, if he was on the DL all of 2020 they'd have to keep him on the roster in 2021.

Sure, but given his shoulder - I'd think you'd meet the minimum days requirements by giving him a few starts here and there and then "boy, that shoulder is bothering him again..." DL... max rehab down A (where he belongs), rinse, repeat.
   22. Zonk didn't order a hit on an ambassador Posted: December 12, 2019 at 04:04 PM (#5908272)
Glancing through the minor league phase lists.... Brady Feigl (LHP), Erick Julio (RHP), and Wendell Rijo (IF) are names that vaguely ring a bell, probably from OOTP org fodder hoarding.

I see the Cubs also lost Carlos Sepulveda - who feels like he's been around forever, but is just 23 (and has never hit) and Faustino Carrera, who I seem to vaguely recall was caught up in the Mexican League shenanigans that the Cubs got their hands smacked on (but I might be confusing him with someone else).
   23. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 12, 2019 at 04:04 PM (#5908273)
Javier hit .177 four levels below the majors - I don't blame them for not trying it.

I know (a teeny, teeny bit) about half to two thirds of the minor league phase guys; I probably ought to spend more time doing other things.

Carrera is from Mexico though I think you got him pre-shenanigans. Good breaking stuff and control, but struggles to crack 90. Can soak up innings in the low minors and hopefully turn into a high-level LOOGY in a world where that still existed.
   24. Gary Truth Serum Posted: December 12, 2019 at 04:06 PM (#5908274)
Because he's 54 years old, and a football player?

Fine, take his brother Shannon then. He also has Hall of Fame talent.
   25. Zonk didn't order a hit on an ambassador Posted: December 12, 2019 at 04:16 PM (#5908276)
Javier hit .177 four levels below the majors - I don't blame them for not trying it.

Sure, but they've got a pretty shitty system... You bite the bullet (and sure, I suppose, stunt his growth) for 2020... then back down to the minors he goes for 2021 and you hope he's worth something by the time he's out options.
   26. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 04:21 PM (#5908280)
On that note - I'm a little bit surprised the Orioles didn't take Wander Javier... He'd obviously get completely destroyed by big league pitching - like embarrassingly so - but he is (was?) a legit blue chip talent and with all his injury problems, you'd think he'd be the kind of guy a team like the Orioles snags and then tries to basically hide on the DL.

I hate it when teams pick low-minors guys who aren't even close to ML-ready. It almost always ##### up their development, and almost never results in anything worthwhile for the team.

The Padres did it to three different kids a couple years ago, for example, and it didn't turn out well for any of them.
   27. "RMc", the superbatsman Posted: December 12, 2019 at 05:55 PM (#5908319)
Garcia has a career record of 13-30, so he should fit right in with the Tigers.
   28. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: December 12, 2019 at 06:06 PM (#5908321)
Glancing through the minor league phase lists.... Brady Feigl (LHP), Erick Julio (RHP), and Wendell Rijo (IF) are names that vaguely ring a bell, probably from OOTP org fodder hoarding.

Whereas Brady Feigl (RHP) is still in the A's system because he's younger.
   29. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 12, 2019 at 06:11 PM (#5908323)
Dan's got ZiPS out on these guys. Megill is close to a league average reliever by that estimation (106 ERA+), Sharp is the top pitcher by WAR (0.8) and WAR/Inning, and Payton and Machin look like adequate bench pieces.
   30. "RMc", the superbatsman Posted: December 13, 2019 at 08:19 AM (#5908395)
...and Garcia is projected to provide 24 starts of 81 ERA+ goodness. Yeah. Gonna fit in real well...
   31. base ball chick Posted: December 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM (#5908465)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 12, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5908241)

Real small (he's not 5-8)

I saw an interview earlier this year where he admitted that he's really 5'6'', which is even shorter than me. He sure hit the #### out of the ball this year, though, and he performed respectably for Team USA after the end of the season. I'll be interested to see how he does

- he's 5-6?? then he's mah new favorite ballplayer next to tony kemp

and it's time alex bregman came out of the closet and admit he's not any more 6' tall than dustin pedroia
   32. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 13, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5908535)
...and Garcia is projected to provide 24 starts of 81 ERA+ goodness. Yeah. Gonna fit in real well...

Garcia is one of the more upside-y pitchers taken this year, so while he's mostly just going to be trying to keep his head above water this year, he could actually be useful in the future.
   33. "RMc", the superbatsman Posted: December 13, 2019 at 06:22 PM (#5908601)
I'm having trouble seeing an upside from someone who was 4-11 with a 4.78 ERA in AA ball, especially since with Detroit he'll have the worst defense in baseball behind him. (But he is only 22, so I guess there's hope...)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.