Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, October 22, 2020

2020 Gold Glove finalists unveiled

The winners will be named on Tuesday, Nov. 3, on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 22, 2020 at 03:30 PM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: gold glove

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Rally Posted: October 22, 2020 at 03:53 PM (#5984598)
2 of the 3 finalists for catcher are White Sox. McCann and Grandal did have fairly close to even split of the catcher innings.
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 22, 2020 at 04:12 PM (#5984603)
Apparently they screwed up and Nicky Lopez is a finalist at 2B too.....so there are four finalists there?

Also, supposedly this is all based on "SABR Defensive Index", which...what is that?

The SABR Defensive Index is a measure of the number of runs saved by a player's defensive performance over the course of a season, compared to the average defensive player at that position. The SDI combines measures from five (5) different defensive data sources and includes factors that rate the defenders arm strength and accuracy, range and his sure-handedness, along with the number of “excellent” and “poor” fielding plays he makes. The SDI also incorporates a rating for a player's ability to turn double plays (2B and SS), fielding bunts (primarily P, C, 3B, and 1B) and scoops of throws in the dirt (1B). For catchers, blocking balls in the dirt and stolen bases/ caught stealing are also included. For pitchers, the SDI includes his ability to hold runners on base and control the running game.
   3. puck Posted: October 22, 2020 at 04:14 PM (#5984604)
Charlie Blackmon??

Huh, his numbers rebounded from horrible.
   4. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 22, 2020 at 05:32 PM (#5984620)
RIGHT FIELD
Clint Frazier, Yankees
Frazier was noticeably better defensively this season, perhaps because he was assured of regular playing time (if he stayed healthy) fairly early in the season, but this is a bit of a surprise.
   5. Walt Davis Posted: October 22, 2020 at 06:11 PM (#5984629)
I suppose to be expected in a 60-game season but there seem to be a lot of guys without a lot of playing time. Nico Hoerner made just 22 starts at 2B, just 208 innings and less than 320 total innings in the field. On the other end of Chicago, Mendick has just 25 starts and 226 innings at 2B and only 278 total innings. Frazier had 27 starts and 216 innings in RF and 280 total innings in the field.

In fairness, statcast does have Hoerner tied for 3rd in OAA at 2B (Nicky Lopez and Adam Frazier tied at 6) but Mendick is rated average.
   6. Snowboy Posted: October 22, 2020 at 06:46 PM (#5984637)
AL third base, A's Matt Chapman not even nominated.
Head scratch?
Oh wait, hip surgery, only 37 games and 300 innings.
But then it's okay that Ducky Joe Mendick gets nominated from White Sox, and Nico Whonow plays 2B for the Cubs?
(tip to [5])
   7. Howie Menckel Posted: October 22, 2020 at 07:49 PM (#5984644)
how did the Mets miss having a finalist yet again?

never mind - I watch their games.
   8. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: October 22, 2020 at 08:20 PM (#5984648)
Basing the Gold Gloves entirely on a single metric (which I've never heard of) is a terrible idea. There should still be a subjective component. Giving Gold Gloves to guys who played less than half the season is silly.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: October 22, 2020 at 08:31 PM (#5984650)
#8: It's just a one-year, compressed season change. Current normal criteria are a mix of numbers and voting. But given managers and coaches only saw 1/3 of the teams in their league, wouldn't have even had many opportunities to watch unplayed teams on TV, a voting component would be almost all reputation. OK, it already is mostly reputation but harder to pretend that they're voting based on seeing everybody in the league. The lack of a vote probably also explains why so many short-season guys are in the list.
   10. Walt Davis Posted: October 22, 2020 at 08:39 PM (#5984651)
In other award news (that I haven't noticed posted here yet), the MLBPA has announced their annual awards:

The first Curt Flood Award goes to Andre Dawson. It's something of a "career achievement in player association matters" award.

The Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award goes to Nelson Cruz. That's "leadership on and off the field." He did a lot of charitable work in his hometown this year.

NL Player oY: Freeman
NL Pitcher oY: Bauer
NL Rookie: Cronenworth
NL Comeback: Daniel Bard (25 IP, 27/10 K/BB)

AL PoY: Abreu
AL PoY: Bieber
AL Rookie: Kyle Lewis
AL Comeback: Carrasco

I wish Bard the best and the award is deserved but maybe the old problems were returning. In his first 13 IP, he had a 15/1 K/BB which is amazing given his past issues. But that means over his last 12 IP, it was 12/9. This being baseball and baseball being a funny game, his ERA was better in that second stretch. :-)
   11. RJ in TO Posted: October 22, 2020 at 08:45 PM (#5984654)
Basing the Gold Gloves entirely on a single metric (which I've never heard of) is a terrible idea.
While you may not have heard of the index, you've most likely heard of the systems that go into it.
The SABR Defensive Index draws on and aggregates two types of existing defensive metrics: those derived from batted ball location-based data and those collected from play-by-play accounts. The three metrics representing batted ball data include Defensive Runs Saved from Baseball Info Solutions, Ultimate Zone Rating developed by noted sabermetrician Mitchel Lichtman, and Runs Effectively Defended based on STATS Zone Rating and built by SABR Defensive Committee member Chris Dial. The two metrics included in the SDI originating from play-by-play data are Defensive Regression Analysis, created by committee member Michael Humphreys, and Total Zone Rating.
   12. RJ in TO Posted: October 22, 2020 at 08:50 PM (#5984656)
Also, I don't see what other option they have than to use a metric, as the subjective portion that normally involves coach voting isn't going to work so well when teams were only playing against those in their matched regions. The coach for the Jays can't really give any useful input as to the defense on the A's.

If they wanted to do a subjective portion, I suppose they could have done separate Gold Glove awards for the East, Central, and West regions, rather than split it between the AL and NL.
   13. puck Posted: October 22, 2020 at 09:54 PM (#5984666)
This being baseball and baseball being a funny game, his ERA was better in that second stretch.

His leverage index went up from 1.31 to 2.14 between those two stretches as young relievers like Charlie Sheen and Jairo Diaz imploded and no one else stepped up. Bard ended up the closer.

Tyler Matzek also would have been a good comeback player, as he last in the majors with the Rockies for 5 games in 2015 and nearly Steve Blassed his way out of baseball.
   14. JJ1986 Posted: October 22, 2020 at 09:57 PM (#5984667)
These aren't really 'finalists,' right? It's just the top 3, but the winner is already decided.
   15. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: October 22, 2020 at 10:57 PM (#5984672)
That's Andre "The Undertaker" Dawson to you, bub.

Which is awesome because is awesome, but awesomer because it's true.
   16. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 23, 2020 at 12:00 AM (#5984678)

These aren't really 'finalists,' right? It's just the top 3, but the winner is already decided.

There is still the swimsuit competition.
   17. Walt Davis Posted: October 23, 2020 at 12:41 AM (#5984681)
Many people say that Gold Glove winners have a responsibility to set an example for young people today. If you are named the American League's Gold Glove second baseman, how do you plan to set an example for today's youth?

EDIT: Rumor has it Isiah Kiner-Falefa wins the Glove of Congeniality
   18. Snowboy Posted: October 23, 2020 at 01:15 AM (#5984682)
Candidate: I would give them all a map, uh, a map which shows where second base is located, because, uh, because of racial inequalities, no, sorry, injustices, because of racial injustices many people can't find second base on a map, uh, because of, uh, North Korea, and South Africa, and because we need them to know that Black Lives Matter, especially around second base. For our children.
   19. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 23, 2020 at 01:30 AM (#5984685)
#18 deserves the Try Hard Award, which comes with a year's supply of Yikes. You tried so hard to be clever but, dude, yikes.
   20. Snowboy Posted: October 23, 2020 at 03:06 AM (#5984687)
2007 Miss Teen America...still too soon?
Maybe I should have mixed in a line about covid, instead of race. Sorry about that, but I was trying to keep it real: race seems like a much bigger issue in America than covid.
If Gold Glove had a pageant candidate interview per 16-17, I was just imagining a bumbling response, based on 2020 cue cards but then losing one's place at the mic.

I apologize to those who have been offended by my comment. It was meant as humor.
I hereby accept the Try Hard Award.
   21. Rally Posted: October 23, 2020 at 08:14 AM (#5984692)
The SABR Defensive Index draws on and aggregates two types of existing defensive metrics: those derived from batted ball location-based data and those collected from play-by-play accounts. The three metrics representing batted ball data include Defensive Runs Saved from Baseball Info Solutions, Ultimate Zone Rating developed by noted sabermetrician Mitchel Lichtman, and Runs Effectively Defended based on STATS Zone Rating and built by SABR Defensive Committee member Chris Dial. The two metrics included in the SDI originating from play-by-play data are Defensive Regression Analysis, created by committee member Michael Humphreys, and Total Zone Rating.

It's kind of new (didn't see anything for infielders posted until the end of last season) but they really should add Statcast Outs above average in there.
   22. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: October 23, 2020 at 09:14 AM (#5984696)
The winners will be named on Tuesday, Nov. 3, on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET.
This...does not seem like a great choice unless they are deliberately trying to bury the news.
   23. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: October 23, 2020 at 10:10 AM (#5984706)
This...does not seem like a great choice unless they are deliberately trying to bury the news.

This should be a nice distraction. I mean you can't watch the news the ENTIRE night.

Or, ESPN/538 could do a joint election/GG show. "Results are now coming in from Michigan, where Jonathan Schoop has been named the AL 2B winner. Still too close to call for Niko Goodrum."
   24. Rally Posted: October 23, 2020 at 11:29 AM (#5984721)
Due to delays in counting the mail-in ballots, we won't be able to settle the catcher race between McCann and Grandal until at least mid December.
   25. Rally Posted: October 23, 2020 at 11:31 AM (#5984722)
"Results are now coming in from Michigan, where Jonathan Schoop has been named the AL 2B winner."

However, lawyers for Cesar Hernandez have stated he is not ready to conceed.
   26. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: October 23, 2020 at 04:10 PM (#5984776)
Frazier was noticeably better defensively this season, perhaps because he was assured of regular playing time (if he stayed healthy) fairly early in the season, but this is a bit of a surprise.

He's also further removed from the concussion and the post-concussion problems he had.
   27. Walt Davis Posted: October 23, 2020 at 05:14 PM (#5984792)
Statcast has Frazier at +2 in RF, +1 overall. Given the short season and his own limited PT, better than it sounds, AL leader in RF is just +3 (Gallo and Engel, who would probably win the statcast award). Mookie ran circles around everybody at +6.

Might as well run quickly through statcast winners, most races pointlessly close

1B Olson Goldschmidt/Freeman
2B Lopez Frazier
3B Kiner-Falefa (a finalist at 2B) Arenado ... otherwise Moncada/Chapman in AL
SS Lindor/Goodrum Tatis
LF Grossman O'Neill
CF Robert/JBJ Grisham
RF Engel/Gallo Betts

No doubt some rounding magic going on but in his time in RF, Betts saved as many runs as anybody in baseball at any position. In his one game at 2B, he gave back (nearly?) 2.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogIs the Hall leaving out too many players?
(68 - 4:02pm, Dec 01)
Last: Barry`s_Lazy_Boy

NewsblogRoyals ink Michael A. Taylor to one-year contract
(7 - 3:37pm, Dec 01)
Last: RoyalFlush

NewsblogA push to recognize the statistics of Black players from baseball’s era of apartheid
(37 - 3:35pm, Dec 01)
Last: Mike Webber

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(1950 - 3:29pm, Dec 01)
Last: I am going to be Frank

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(196 - 3:01pm, Dec 01)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogOT - November* 2020 College Football thread
(206 - 2:43pm, Dec 01)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogMets not bringing back bench coach Hensley Meulens
(3 - 2:40pm, Dec 01)
Last: Adam Starblind

NewsblogYankees officially axe Staten Island affiliate; new team expected at Richmond County Ballpark
(23 - 2:17pm, Dec 01)
Last: Der-K's emotional investment is way up

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10657 - 2:11pm, Dec 01)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogBill James: The Biggest Problem With WAR
(75 - 1:31pm, Dec 01)
Last: Kiko Sakata

NewsblogFelicity Huffman Plots Acting Return in ABC Baseball Comedy
(26 - 12:55pm, Dec 01)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogSt. Paul Saints to become Twins' top minor-league team; Class AA in Wichita
(4 - 12:02pm, Dec 01)
Last: Mike Webber

NewsblogReport: Phillies can't re-sign Realmuto due to massive financial losses
(32 - 8:47pm, Nov 30)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-30-2020
(6 - 6:58pm, Nov 30)
Last: VCar

NewsblogMel Rojas Jr. Drawing Interest After MVP-Caliber KBO Season
(5 - 3:21pm, Nov 30)
Last: crict

Page rendered in 0.3347 seconds