Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

2021 Futures Game rosters

After a one-year hiatus, the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game is back and showcasing more prospect talent on one diamond than any other baseball event of the year.

As it did in a format change introduced in 2019, the Futures Game will pit the American League against the National League in a seven-inning game, this time July 11 at Coors Field in Denver. Thirty-two of the 50 players selected to the initial rosters rank among MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 Prospects, including six of the top eight: Orioles catcher Adley Rutschman (No. 2), Tigers corner infielder Spencer Torkelson (No. 3), Mariners outfielders Jarred Kelenic (No. 4) and Julio Rodriguez (No. 5), Royals shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. (No. 7) and Padres shortstop CJ Abrams (No. 8). Rutschman and Torkelson were the No. 1 overall picks in the last two Drafts.

Other position prospects who will appear in the Futures Game include Giants shortstop Marco Luciano (No. 12), Tigers outfielder Riley Greene (No. 15), Blue Jays shortstop Austin Martin (No. 16), Yankees outfielder Jasson Dominguez (No. 24) and Braves outfielder Drew Waters (No. 25). Top pitchers set to take the mound include Marlins right-hander Max Meyer (No. 20), Mariners righty Emerson Hancock (No. 23), Cardinals left-hander Matthew Liberatore (No. 27), Pirates righty Quinn Priester (No. 37) and Reds lefty Nick Lodolo (No. 43).

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 30, 2021 at 02:18 PM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: futures game

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: June 30, 2021 at 06:37 PM (#6027095)
Only 32 of 50 selected are in the top 100? That seems quite low. Is there an age limit for the futures game, that might explain it.
   2. bfan Posted: June 30, 2021 at 07:08 PM (#6027104)
They must have selected rosters weeks ago. Drew Waters yearly stats are abysmal and he is striking out like Joey Gallo and the balls he does hit have an Ender Inciarte level of power behind them.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 30, 2021 at 07:37 PM (#6027113)
They also have to pick a player from each organization and fill out a roster. I wonder if teams ever deny a player from participating. Also, Franco is in the big leagues, there may be others.
   4. BDC Posted: June 30, 2021 at 07:53 PM (#6027119)
Rangers at least have two, both pitchers, both first-round picks. Cole Winn is doing well at AA and Cole Ragans doing well at high-A ball after two Tommy John surgeries. Neither are Top-100 guys. They must have needed pitchers.

5. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 30, 2021 at 08:18 PM (#6027126)
Yankees outfielder Jasson Dominguez (No. 24)
He’s had 5 AB without a hit (but 5 BB!) in Rookie ball, so this is all about his prospect ranking. He’s the 18-year old touted as a Mantle/Trout combo (no pressure), so I’m anxious to see him, but maybe he should play a bit before being selected.
   6. The Duke Posted: June 30, 2021 at 09:01 PM (#6027129)
I think a number of the top 50 are already up, aren’t they ?

It’s a pretty good roster - they should let them play all three days - that would be quite fun.
   7. Walt Davis Posted: June 30, 2021 at 10:15 PM (#6027138)
I think mlb.com keeps their list pretty updated. Only 4 on the current list are in the majors at the moment and two of those are closer to the bottom. Since Callis is kinda the public face of mlb's prospect rankings, I assume he's working from the current or at least recent list. (I assume folks get removed once they pass the rookie threshold, I don't mean to suggest they constantly reassess although for all I know they do.) Some guys may be injured of course.

From the article, Michael Harris is supposedly the Braves' #9 prospect. He's 20 at A+ putting up a solid but unspectacular 319/341/464 line. He is a CF and is 11 for 12 in steals so he's progressing just fine but it seems either the mlb.com list missed badly on him or his presence in this game is a stretch.

The O's Marcos Diplan wasn't even rated as an O's prospect apparently. He's a 24-yo reliever at AAA with a 17/5 K/BB in 14 innings which is barely even interesting in this day and age. Back in 2019 he had a 4.85 ERA at AA. The Cubs' system is quite thin but one of their unranked pitchers made it too. He's also 24 with a 19/10 K/BB in 13 IP.

It's understandable that the Rox #30 prospect got the call as, I assume, the 3rd C. But they seem to be reaching quite deep for pitching ... in addition to the guys above, there's another completely un-ranked guy from the Rangers, the Pirates' #19 and the Dodgers' #27. That is it seems that more than 10% of the rosters are guys who aren't even in the top 200 prospects.

MLB #1, 6, 9, 10 and six of #11-20 are not on the roster. #1 and #18 are in the majors so that's fine. At least two of the missing guys have made their ML debuts but so has Kelenic so that's not disqualifying.

Doesn't matter, just an exhibition, I just had assumed that the futures game was a legit "top prospects" AS game and, if it's not, you wouldn't want to draw attention to that by "bragging" that only 32 of the top 100 were picked onto a 50-man roster.
   8. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: July 01, 2021 at 01:19 PM (#6027229)
Several players who would have otherwise been in this group of 50 are not because they are expected to be on the U.S. team heading to the Olympics. For the Red Sox, their two top prospects (Triston Casas and Jarren Duran) are expected to be on the Olympics team (they both were part of the Olympic trials), so only their #3 prospect, Jeter Downs, is going to participate in the Futures Game. I suspect if the Olympics were not this summer, most of the remaining 18 non-top 100 players would be replaced by Olympians.
   9. Pirate Joe Posted: July 01, 2021 at 09:42 PM (#6027325)
in addition to the guys above, there's another completely un-ranked guy from the Rangers, the Pirates' #19 and the Dodgers' #27. That is it seems that more than 10% of the rosters are guys who aren't even in the top 200 prospects.

The Pirates #19, Roansy Contreras, is 3-1 with a 2.00 era, a 0.84 whip, 64 ks with 9 bbs in 45 innings as a 21 year old in AA. Small sample size, but if he keeps pitching like that he won't be #19 much longer.

10. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: July 02, 2021 at 05:05 PM (#6027482)
From the article, Michael Harris is supposedly the Braves' #9 prospect. He's 20 at A+ putting up a solid but unspectacular 319/341/464 line. He is a CF and is 11 for 12 in steals so he's progressing just fine but it seems either the mlb.com list missed badly on him or his presence in this game is a stretch.

I don't think his presence is a stretch, though that doesn't necessarily mean MLB.com missed badly.

FWIW Baseball America just ranked Harris among its Top 100, albeit at #99. All these rankings are extremely subjective and imprecise, arguably even more so this season considering that almost no one played organized baseball last year. It probably is worth noting that entering the year he was viewed as an extremely toolsy outfielder with a very limited and uneven record of performance, and who could rise up the rankings quickly with a good showing. He's playing in a low-offense environment/league, so he ranks in the top 20 in most categories despite lacking eye-popping numbers. He was also born in 2001 whereas everyone above him on those leaderboards was born in the 90s.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogTB progressing with Montreal Sister City plan
(39 - 1:59am, Sep 28)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

NewsblogWhy Detroit Tigers, Chicago White Sox stormed the field: 'It wasn't intentional'
(2 - 1:44am, Sep 28)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogShohei Ohtani, on future with Los Angeles Angels: 'I want to win'
(19 - 1:29am, Sep 28)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogBrother HRs off brother for first time since '75
(6 - 12:59am, Sep 28)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogThe Cardinals’ Impressive Winning Streak Doesn’t Guarantee October Success
(14 - 12:50am, Sep 28)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4653 - 10:50pm, Sep 27)
Last: PJ Martinez

Sox TherapyThat Didn’t Go Well, But The Situation Is Still Very Good
(21 - 10:36pm, Sep 27)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(302 - 9:02pm, Sep 27)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogArizona Diamondbacks give manager Torey Lovullo one-year extension despite 104-loss season
(11 - 7:34pm, Sep 27)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogWhich MLB managers are on the hot seat? Ranking four skippers most likely to be fired after 2021 season
(2 - 6:47pm, Sep 27)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

Newsblog14 wins in a row! Cards tie 1935 club record
(17 - 6:24pm, Sep 27)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogChicago Cubs plan to be 'really active" in MLB free agency, says team president Jed Hoyer
(13 - 6:13pm, Sep 27)

NewsblogMullins 1st Oriole in 30-30 club: 'It's surreal'
(29 - 6:11pm, Sep 27)
Last: Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(14214 - 5:10pm, Sep 27)
Last: GregD

NewsblogFINAL REGULAR SEASON OMNICHATTER! for September 27 thru Game 162!
(8 - 5:06pm, Sep 27)

Page rendered in 0.2713 seconds
48 querie(s) executed