Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 04, 2019

Acuna’s casual baserunning irks Braves after Game 1: ‘He needs to do better’

Ronald Acuna Jr. has once again raised some eyebrows with his lack of hustle on the bases.

The Atlanta Braves outfielder led off the seventh inning of Game 1 of the NLDS against the St. Louis Cardinals on Thursday, mashing a long fly ball to the right-field corner that nearly turned into a home run. It should have been an easy double, but Acuna was slow to get up the line in anticipation of a round-tripper and instead ended up with a long single.

The slow trot came back to bite the Braves when the next hitter, Ozzie Albies, grounded out. Acuna advanced to second on the play but would have been 90 feet from scoring had he legged out for the double. He was then doubled off second when Josh Donaldson lined out to the shortstop to end a promising inning.

Acuna’s gaffe came under the microscope a half-inning later when St. Louis tied the game. The Cardinals then scored four runs in the ninth to take the lead. Although Acuna homered late, St. Loius held on to take Game 1 by a score of 7-6.

With Van McCoy long gone, who is left that a respectable person would contact concerning hustle?

QLE Posted: October 04, 2019 at 12:08 AM | 110 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baserunning, hustle, ronald acuna

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. . Posted: October 05, 2019 at 08:23 AM (#5886743)
I like how the apology is couched in the language of giving "offense," as if he made a racial faux pas or the like, and then the insistence at the end that the manager knows RAJ plays with "intensity" when the entire gravaman of the charge is that when he hits an ambiguous flyball, he plays with the polar opposite of intensity.
   102. PreservedFish Posted: October 05, 2019 at 09:21 AM (#5886750)
Yes, pretty much. All discipline is a test of wills. The reason people have badly behaved children is because they blink before the child does. They're too afraid to make their precious little baby unhappy for even an hour, to impose real consequences.

If you have children snapper, ready yourself for an eye-opening experience.
   103. KronicFatigue Posted: October 05, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5886760)
Acuna's act is probably the thing that most offends me in baseball. Other than headhunting, I can't think of a worst act for my personal tastes of what I want from an athlete. Especially in the playoffs. (I'm okay with jogging to 1st on a routine grounder in a regular season game for various reasons that are besides the point of this post).

However, is this true:
Not trying your best is a dereliction of Acuna's duty to his employer and teammates, and is not acceptable.

Is a player contractually obligated to "try his his hardest" and if so, what does that entail? Diet, sleep, game study, hustle? What if a player could be an A- minus talent with 100% effort but was perfectly content being a B+ talent while slacking. Is he allowed to do that? Does it matter when he makes that decision? If Acuna has always had this lack of effort built into his psyche, isn't that going to be baked into the contracts that teams offer him? Shawn Kemp eating his way out of the NBA is the extreme, and a dereliction of duty, but where is the line drawn?
   104. phredbird Posted: October 05, 2019 at 02:19 PM (#5886825)

Yes, pretty much. All discipline is a test of wills. The reason people have badly behaved children is because they blink before the child does. They're too afraid to make their precious little baby unhappy for even an hour, to impose real consequences.

If you have children snapper, ready yourself for an eye-opening experience.

lol. how long have you been here? haven't you caught on to snapper's schtick yet? he's a financial expert of some kind -- and a good one, i guess, since he has all kinds of time to waste on this site -- so that makes him an expert on everything.

well ... you know, like everybody else here, me included i suppose.

but it's especially galling to hear him pontificate on child rearing. i can say without reservation that i followed absolutely none of his hilarious parenting advice, and i'll put my son up against any of his children -- if he has any.

snapper and sugar bear shooting blanks, by their ubiquity on this site, with their insufferable, continual, reductive screeds on every thread, have made BBTF a lot less enjoyable in recent years.

even when i find myself in general agreement -- i know, completely inconsistent -- it's almost become too much work to sift through their tedium to get to posts by walt davis or gonfalon or anybody else with anything useful to say.

sorry about this.

every now and then, i sit up and realize that i myself have been spending too much time hanging around in this bar, so i take the pledge for a while. time out.

105. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: October 05, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5886828)
Yes, God appointed -- annointed --snapper as an expert on everything, especially things that common sense would suggest he knows absolutely jack #### about, like (IIRC) children and morality.

Otherwise, the Ignore function is your friend.
   106. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 05, 2019 at 03:03 PM (#5886837)
snapper and sugar bear shooting blanks, by their ubiquity on this site, with their insufferable, continual, reductive screeds on every thread, have made BBTF a lot less enjoyable in recent years.
SBB has some obvious issues, and it appears that he feels sufficiently wronged to justify a haughty, condescending posting style that is rather unappealing, but there is no reason to lump Snapper in with him. Everyone has their likes & dislikes in other posters. My pet peeve is those who unnecessarily inject ad hominem comments. How hard is to talk about baseball rather than other posters?
   107. PreservedFish Posted: October 05, 2019 at 03:10 PM (#5886839)
I’ve never had even the slightest inclination to ignore snapper.
   108. . Posted: October 05, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5886840)
I'm overly sarcastic and staunchly anti-sacred cow and staunchly anti-fanboy and staunchly anti-stupid, but other than that I have no "issues" whatever. Should I admire sacred cows, fanboy-ism, and stupidity more?
   109. bunyon Posted: October 05, 2019 at 04:04 PM (#5886857)
Self love is important.
   110. Omineca Greg Posted: October 05, 2019 at 10:00 PM (#5886982)
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
aleskel
for his generous support.