Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, February 08, 2022

After 5,460 games, Joe West is calling it a career

Baseball is entertaining. A little less now. Thanks, Joe.

MuttsIdolCochrane Posted: February 08, 2022 at 07:57 AM | 20 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: happy trails, umpires

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Harmon "Thread Killer" Microbrew Posted: February 08, 2022 at 11:52 AM (#6064230)
Baseball is entertaining. A little less now. Thanks, Joe.

Baseball is entertaining.

Umpires thinking they are the stars gets in the way of the entertainment.

Thanks for retiring, Joe.
   2. DL from MN Posted: February 08, 2022 at 12:00 PM (#6064231)
Fergie Jenkins has been hilarious roasting Joe West
   3. DL from MN Posted: February 08, 2022 at 12:26 PM (#6064240)
Hall of Fame pitcher Ferguson Jenkins wasted no time in bidding West adieu. “I called Joe West to congratulate him on retiring,” Jenkins tweeted, “but he missed that call, too.”
   4. TJ Posted: February 08, 2022 at 01:03 PM (#6064248)
It’s always painful to see someone hang on too long past their prime. In Joe West’s case, it was only 5,459 games too long…
   5. Itchy Row Posted: February 08, 2022 at 01:18 PM (#6064251)
The article links to the second game of a doubleheader for West's debut. Dale Murphy played his second and third career games in that doubleheader. Somebody should have retired Joe West before Dale Murphy stopped getting contract offers.
   6. DL from MN Posted: February 08, 2022 at 01:18 PM (#6064252)
https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/mlb-umpire-joe-west-mocked-following-retirement-announcement-bjs/
   7. John DiFool2 Posted: February 08, 2022 at 01:44 PM (#6064260)
Hmm. Who does own the most games umped record anyway?
   8. Jose is Absurdly Correct but not Helpful Posted: February 08, 2022 at 01:55 PM (#6064271)
Joe reminded me a bit of an old NBA ref named Earl Strom. Like Strom Joe was a magnet for criticism but also seemed to embrace it and was willing to make challenging calls and take the heat when necessary. As a Red Sox fan I'll remember him as part of the crew (crew chief I think actually) of the 2004 crew that made those two huge (and correct) calls in game 6 of the ALCS. Then 14 years later he made the difficult (and more borderline) call to rule fan interference in game 4 of the ALCS on a ball Altuve hit.
   9. greenback needs a ride, not ammo Posted: February 08, 2022 at 05:01 PM (#6064328)
Ugh, Earl Strom, the one guy you never wanted to see officiating a game played on your home team's court.
   10. Walt Davis Posted: February 08, 2022 at 07:35 PM (#6064346)
Lenny Wirtz**, ACC ref. If it was a 1-point game you could guarantee that the game was about to be decided by Lenny either calling a blocking charge on the defense or a charge on the offense ... especially if Duke was on defense and the dribbler beat his man off the ball only to have some twerp step in late and flop.

** pretty sure that was his name, Andy will probably remember.
   11. baxter Posted: February 09, 2022 at 01:26 AM (#6064387)
8. I thought Strom was also well-respected, yes for willing to make tough calls. Did West get the same respect (he's a little heavier than Jack Roy)?
   12. Jose is Absurdly Correct but not Helpful Posted: February 09, 2022 at 08:24 AM (#6064393)
11 - I don't think West was as well-respected as Strom but I got the impression most people on the field liked him generally. Little things, Joe Castiglione (Red Sox radio voice) seemed to like him and the Nelson Cruz selfie at the ASG. As I recall for most of his career he was rated pretty highly on balls and strikes by the players.
   13. SoSH U at work Posted: February 09, 2022 at 08:57 AM (#6064396)
11 - I don't think West was as well-respected as Strom but I got the impression most people on the field liked him generally. Little things, Joe Castiglione (Red Sox radio voice) seemed to like him and the Nelson Cruz selfie at the ASG. As I recall for most of his career he was rated pretty highly on balls and strikes by the players.

He was, until recently, rated pretty highly on balls and strikes. But I don't think he was ever well liked because of his antagonistic attitude. I think I recall seeing player surveys where he was rated in the Top 5 for both best and worst umps.
   14. Darren Posted: February 09, 2022 at 09:58 AM (#6064405)
After 5,460 games, Joe West is calling it a career

But if you watch the replay, it turns out it wasn't a career after all.
   15. reech Posted: February 09, 2022 at 10:43 PM (#6064570)
He mighta been an accurate ump, but he was also an arrogant ass who thought HE was the game.
   16. Howie Menckel Posted: February 09, 2022 at 11:15 PM (#6064572)
yeah, I think the evidence that he was generally an accurate umpire is strong - though not quite as strong as the evidence that overall, he was an #######.
   17. DL from MN Posted: February 10, 2022 at 09:36 AM (#6064585)
Here's Andre Dawson getting ejected by Joe West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzmSdOIy-lg
   18. DL from MN Posted: February 10, 2022 at 09:43 AM (#6064588)
Joe West ejections highlight reel (some lousy calls)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG0N2OS9700
   19. Moeball Posted: February 11, 2022 at 03:31 PM (#6064930)
I can't believe a thread about Joe West brought up comments about Earl Strom. Earl was one of the best NBA refs ever, and during the 1980s he was exponentially better than any other ref in the league. Not just my opinion, but that of NBA players themselves. Multiple polls were cited by announcers where players were asked to rate officials, and Earl was overwhelmingly selected by the players as the one ref they would want to see calling an important game. So much so that he got more votes than all other refs combined. Why? All you need to know is that Red Auerbach absolutely HATED Earl's guts. He was the ONLY ref in the league with the guts to go into Boston Garden and call Kevin McHale for the foul when climbing over someone's back going for an offensive rebound, something Kevin did about 47 times per game. Earl was the only ref who would be in Philly and call Moses Malone for running over 3 people getting into position for a rebound. He was the only ref who would go into LA and call Kareem for throwing out the left elbow when going up for the sky hook. In other words, he was the only ref in the league who gave visiting teams a fair shake. And that is why the players respected him so much. Home teams have a big enough advantage without the refs giving them every call.

At no point in Joe West's career did any players suggest that he was far and away the best umpire in the game, more so than all other umpires combined. The difference between these two men? Competence. Joe West didn't have any. Ever. Here's an example of the kind of crap Joe created. He's behind the plate, calling balls and strikes, or, to be more accurate, he's calling balls strikes. Pitches a foot outside are getting called as strikes. So the players eventually figure out they can't take those pitches because Joe isn't going to call them properly. So the batters know they have to start swinging at these outside pitches. But they can't reach them standing back in the batters box so they have no choice but to start crowding the plate. So guess what happens next? Beanball war, started by nothing other than Joe West's incompetence. No one should be praising his umpiring. He created controversies where none existed because he thought he was the reason fans came out to the park. To see him. Please. He's gone decades too late. Good riddance.
   20. shoelesjoe Posted: February 11, 2022 at 07:32 PM (#6064949)
My favorite Joe West moment was a game in 2018 where he decided on a whim that players checking a scouting sheet during the game was against the rules.

What rules?

His rules.

Any excuse for Joe to be the center of attention.

Good &$@# riddance.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback needs a ride, not ammo
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogTop 100 prospects updated 2022 midseason rankings
(11 - 9:26pm, Aug 18)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogJoey Votto to have season-ending shoulder surgery on torn rotator cuff
(40 - 9:07pm, Aug 18)
Last: I don't want to talk about Rocco

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(113 - 9:03pm, Aug 18)
Last: frannyzoo

NewsblogFernando Tatis Jr. suspended, tests positive for banned substance
(30 - 9:01pm, Aug 18)
Last: salvomania

NewsblogYankees four-time All-Star Dellin Betances retires
(5 - 7:31pm, Aug 18)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogHe got a job via LinkedIn -- Major League player
(1 - 7:01pm, Aug 18)
Last: Zach

NewsblogThe Six-Man Rotation May Be Baseball’s Next Evolutionary Step
(2 - 5:59pm, Aug 18)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogSources: New York Mets to call up touted 3B prospect Brett Baty
(11 - 3:25pm, Aug 18)
Last: Karl from NY

NewsblogJosh Donaldson delivers for New York Yankees with grand slam walk-off in 10th inning
(2 - 2:39pm, Aug 18)
Last: cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE

NewsblogAthletics release Andrus in final year of $120M deal
(15 - 2:38pm, Aug 18)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogVideo shows Tony La Russa may have listened to fan in stands before putting pinch runner in
(29 - 12:44pm, Aug 18)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogSteep drop, but still season-high, for “Field of Dreams” sequel
(21 - 11:56am, Aug 18)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

Sox TherapyOver and Under
(20 - 11:44am, Aug 18)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogFormer SF Giants player turned internet troll Aubrey Huff running for local office, will probably lose badly
(9 - 10:49am, Aug 18)
Last: cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE

NewsblogJon Daniels dismissed by Rangers; Chris Young to run baseball ops
(7 - 10:20am, Aug 18)
Last: BDC

Page rendered in 0.3193 seconds
45 querie(s) executed