Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, November 06, 2021

Astros Offer Carlos Correa Five-Year, $160MM Contract

When the Astros and Carlos Correa talked contract extension last spring, the shortstop said the Astros made him offers of six years and $120MM, and then five years and $125MM.  While Correa is just hours away from the free agent market, the Astros are still trying to retain his services, and Mark Berman of FOX 26 (Twitter link) reports that the club’s last offer is a five-year deal worth $160MM.

This would be the largest contract Houston has ever given a player, topping the team’s five-year, $151MM extension with Jose Altuve.  The offer’s $32MM average annual value would also be the 10th-highest AAV of any contract in baseball history, making it a pretty significant commitment on the Astros’ part.

However, it is also drastically below what Correa is likely to receive on the open market.  Correa is only entering his age-27 season, and he has already indicated that he’ll be looking for a pact in the nine- or ten-year range.  It isn’t out of the question that Correa might even hit $32MM (or at least come close) in average annual value on such a long-term deal, so it doesn’t seem like Houston’s offer is going to inspire a late-minute change of mind on Correa’s part.

In fact, there is enough of a gap between the Astros’ offer and Correa’s asking price that it’s probably safe to assume the team didn’t have much expectation of Correa actually accepting the deal.  There could be some public relations logistics at play, since the team can now present that $32MM AAV as a “we tried” gesture to fans upset over Correa’s departure.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 06, 2021 at 06:50 PM | 47 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, carlos correa

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Duke Posted: November 06, 2021 at 06:54 PM (#6051622)
It’s the ole’ Albert Pujols PR gambit. Cardinals did the same. Huge 5 year offer knowing he’d say no. Then after he goes elsewhere, you can say “we offered him a mint”.
   2. cardsfanboy Posted: November 06, 2021 at 07:04 PM (#6051624)
It’s the ole’ Albert Pujols PR gambit. Cardinals did the same. Huge 5 year offer knowing he’d say no. Then after he goes elsewhere, you can say “we offered him a mint”.

I'm not seeing an issue with that, the team determined a price the player is worth to them going forward, and in Albert's case even more so, offer him the contract, and then published it to say that they tried, but if the player doesn't take it, the team can't really be faulted for it.

Correa isn't really a Pujols level talent and outside of the fact that he was developed by the Astros, there is no real sentiment to keep him by paying over book price for his declining years.
   3. JRVJ Posted: November 06, 2021 at 07:36 PM (#6051644)
2, gotta agree with you.

Correa makes sense at 5/$160MM, but not so much beyond that.
   4. cardsfanboy Posted: November 06, 2021 at 07:51 PM (#6051651)
heck that is 32 mil a year, it locks in his prime years, at relatively market value... if he wants more years, you have to make them 15 or so per year. So if he's pushing for a ten year contract that is about a 10 year contract at 235.... I'm sure that amount could be negotiated with the initial offer.
   5. Jack Sommers Posted: November 06, 2021 at 08:01 PM (#6051656)
He's gonna get anywhere from 8/240 to 10/300
   6. cardsfanboy Posted: November 06, 2021 at 08:08 PM (#6051660)

And that is all reasonable, but if his developing team offers him a fair contract like what was posted, they shouldn't be accused of eventually not meeting the excessive market. The thing that Duke pointed to in post one, is that you do have an obligation to put a fair price on your player, you need to let your fans know you did it, and if he takes a better offer, more power to him, let him go, be magnanimous about it, but absolutely you don't over spend to a ridiculous degree, simply because you developed him.

If Correa leaves for greener pastures that is fine and dandy, if you are a fan of the franchise, the only thing you can hope for is that they use the savings to pay for up and coming talent or free agents.
   7. The Duke Posted: November 06, 2021 at 08:21 PM (#6051665)
I’m actuality he isn’t THAT far off Pujols Pace. With a decent decade in the 30s he could surpass Albert. Albert has the lead now but collapses at 33 (likely 35/36)
   8. Jeff Francoeur's OPS Posted: November 06, 2021 at 08:35 PM (#6051669)
He's better than Lindor...
   9. cardsfanboy Posted: November 06, 2021 at 08:37 PM (#6051670)

I’m actuality he isn’t THAT far off Pujols Pace. With a decent decade in the 30s he could surpass Albert. Albert has the lead now but collapses at 33 (likely 35/36)

No, just no. Outside of having a Beltre level of decline, there is no reasonable expectation that puts him in the same zip code as Albert. That isn't a knock on Correa, but it's a knock against your comment. Seriously, his goal isn't Albert, and buyers don't expect that.
   10. Jack Sommers Posted: November 06, 2021 at 11:23 PM (#6051734)
Correa vs Ripken through age 26 is interesting.

Obviously Correa is never going to be an iron man though

Comparison Link
   11. Jack Sommers Posted: November 06, 2021 at 11:36 PM (#6051736)
   12. Rough Carrigan Posted: November 07, 2021 at 12:26 AM (#6051738)
He's got enough of an injury history that I don't see how a team could offer him an 8 or a 10 year contract at $30 million plus.
   13. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: November 07, 2021 at 12:45 AM (#6051740)
And that is all reasonable, but if his developing team offers him a fair contract like what was posted, they shouldn't be accused of eventually not meeting the excessive market.

The offer sort of-ish meets these standards. Correa is entering his year 27 season, Albert was entering his year 32 season. Massive difference. Of course as you point out later in later posts, Correa is not really Pujols zip code production wise but the years ARE a big deal. The offer is a little underdone to be considered fair IMHO, now say 7/225; if Houston had offered that and he turned it done, I'd be saying, that's fair enough, thx for memories Carlos. I think someone is going to offer around 8/260 or slightly above.

The injury history is a concern, but he sure does perform when he's healthy, so if you're a GM, do you take the chance? Most everyone here will crow about only offering 5 years, blah, blah, blah, don't want to pay for unproductive years etc., but if you take that attitude, you'll never sign any major stars. If you think that's the best way to run a club, then I can respect that, but my club would sign the occasional star and you need to pony up for those guys.
   14. and Posted: November 07, 2021 at 07:35 AM (#6051745)
I'm with Hugh. Teams don't determine fair offers, markets do. I think it's fine to make this offer just before he's a free agent. But if I were an Astros fan I wouldn't think, oh, they tried.

He isn't Pujols with the bat. But he's better in the field (at a better position) and I'd expect a slower decline. He's still not Pujols' equal, but he's a star. Unless you think he'll tank tomorrow. You have to offer past the good years to get these guys. Maybe someday that won't be true. Today it is.
   15. McCoy Posted: November 07, 2021 at 08:07 AM (#6051747)
Baseball doesn't operate in a market that creates fair offers. Baseball operates in a markets that creates overpays.

The offer a FA ultimately accepts is usually the offer that 29 other teams refuse to match.

16. Tony S Posted: November 07, 2021 at 08:18 AM (#6051748)
He's got enough of an injury history that I don't see how a team could offer him an 8 or a 10 year contract at $30 million plus.

How common is it for a player to be fragile early in his career and durable later? I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of any offhand. Paul Molitor?
   17. Rough Carrigan Posted: November 07, 2021 at 09:27 AM (#6051749)
Yeah but Molitor became durable after he shifted to partly and then largely becoming a DH.
   18. KronicFatigue Posted: November 07, 2021 at 09:46 AM (#6051750)
Has there ever been a negotiation for a free agent done "publicly" before? I wonder if there's a type of player who could benefit from that. "I received an offer of x years for y dollars. Top it, and I'm yours"
   19. McCoy Posted: November 07, 2021 at 09:49 AM (#6051751)
Aramis Ramirez?
   20. Adam Starblind Posted: November 07, 2021 at 10:21 AM (#6051752)
It’s also likely that if the injuries continue apace, his production will drop off prematurely.
   21. BDC Posted: November 07, 2021 at 10:39 AM (#6051755)
I guess it kind of sneaked up on me how many of the longest contracts in baseball history are for current players, some of them (Tatis, Lindor) still very young, which of course makes sense.

Given that, a 5-year offer to Correa is way short. But while it may be short from the perspective of signing a major star, it might be smart from the perspective of trying to keep a winning team on the field. (I'm mostly just echoing cardsfanboy here.)

What were the best 10-year deals ever? AROD (the first time, with the Rangers), I guess, and Derek Jeter's extension with the Yankees. They were still remarkably good 9-10 years later. Most guys are not very good by years 7 or 8, if not sooner.
   22. Jose is Absurdly Correct but not Helpful Posted: November 07, 2021 at 10:59 AM (#6051760)
Here's a list of ten year contracts and it's certainly dicey;

Too Soon To Tell But So Far So Good: Betts, Harper, Machado
Too Soon To Tell But Some Cracks Already: Lindor, Tatis, Trout (injuries on the latter two), Stanton? (lot of missed time early but still great and if he keeps that going this is a good one)
Worked Out: ARod, Winfield, Votto, Jeter
Busts: Zisk, Garland, Cano, Pujols

It's actually better than I thought. I think the first seven years of Stanton are closer to bust than anything just because of how much time he missed. Tatis scares the crap out of me. He's too young to be having the types of injuries he's having. Trout I'd bet on and similarly Lindor was better in the second half.

Richie Zisk. Man that's a name I hadn't thought of for awhile.
   23. The Duke Posted: November 07, 2021 at 11:26 AM (#6051768)
The injuries don’t seem awful to me. The thumb injury can be bad but it hasn’t recurred and since he’s not a catcher, he’s not at huge risk. Presumably he is protecting himself better sliding. The back injuries are likely to crop up. Odd that a 25 year old has back problems but back problems are manageable. He could be a hall of famer, so he’s going to take care of his back. The rib thing is just bizarre.

I’d be more worried if it was hamstrings, arm or a more serious back problem. Not sure I’d yet say he’s injury prone. He’s had 4 seasons where he has played almost all the games he was eligible to play (including the last two) and three seasons where he has missed time.
   24. Rough Carrigan Posted: November 07, 2021 at 12:28 PM (#6051778)
Didn't Don Mattingly look like a sure hall of famer and then back injuries took him down several notches though he was still able to play?
   25. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: November 07, 2021 at 12:48 PM (#6051783)
Didn't Don Mattingly look like a sure hall of famer and then back injuries took him down several notches though he was still able to play?

Yes. The back injuries sapped his power. After the injuries, he could still hit for average, but he went from 40 doubles and 25 HRs to 25 doubles and 10 HRs.
   26. Rough Carrigan Posted: November 07, 2021 at 12:59 PM (#6051784)
He could turn out to be a great signing for whoever gets him. But he missed time in his early 20's for a back problem, not getting hit by a pitch and breaking his hand or something exogenous.
   27. The Duke Posted: November 07, 2021 at 01:06 PM (#6051787)
I was born with a congenital defect,” Mattingly told the New York Times. “If I hit too much, I got a pounding soreness. It was like a dead ache in my back. I still get it today when I go out and hit too many golf balls. … I tried to make the best of it. I didn’t want to talk about it.”

Lots of people have sore backs. Most of the time it just requires diligence about maintaining strength and flexibility. Mattingly sounds like he had more problematic issues
   28. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: November 07, 2021 at 01:35 PM (#6051793)
So are we all assuming that the Dodgers are just backing up a dumptruck full of cash to Seager's driveway? He's a pretty similar player to Correa, but with even more injury question marks. If he played for any team but the Dodgers I expect he'd end up on the market.
   29. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: November 07, 2021 at 02:34 PM (#6051797)
They certainly could, but they also just traded for Trea Turner. And it wasn't that long ago that Gavin Lux looked like he was the future of the franchise. Considering the luxury tax hit involved, it wouldn't surprise me if they let Seager walk.
   30. Jack Sommers Posted: November 07, 2021 at 02:56 PM (#6051800)
Here is an interesting comparison of the top 5 Free Agent Shortstops. I added Lindor in there too as a reference point,.

First one is 2019 thru 2021, since we often look to the most recent 3 seasons to project players.

Then here are the same players compared for Entire Career

Quite a different view, right ?
   31. Walt Davis Posted: November 07, 2021 at 04:14 PM (#6051808)
Too Soon To Tell But So Far So Good: Betts, Harper, Machado
Too Soon To Tell But Some Cracks Already: Lindor, Tatis, Trout (injuries on the latter two), Stanton? (lot of missed time early but still great and if he keeps that going this is a good one)
Worked Out: ARod, Winfield, Votto, Jeter
Busts: Zisk, Garland, Cano, Pujols

Age at signing
Group 1: 28, 26, 26 (note that was year 1 of Betts' deal, not a particularly good start)
Group 2: 28, 22, 27, 25
Group 3: 25, 29, 30, 27
Group 4: 29, 26, 31, 32

Garland was practically the first FA contract ever and (I forget why) got to become an FA after just 4 years. Zisk was in the 2nd FA class and is the sort of mistake teams probably don't make today ... he was never that good and the defense was already in decline.

Big problem with Jose's list: CANO WAS NOT A BUST. In his 5 seasons in Sea, which included a half-season suspension (for which the Ms didn't have to pay), he put up 23.5 WAR. That's exactly what they were paying him for (along with the amount they paid the Mets via cash and dead contracts). In the last 5 years of the contract, you were just looking for another 5 WAR -- he probably won't make it but you've got another unpaid year and 2020 in there. Cano will end up producing about 27 WAR for about $190 M, how is that a bust? (Cano without PEDs might have been a bust of course but lucky Ms.)

Stanton -- who knows? He's got another 6 years to go on that contract. It doesn't look good and he needs to magically start staying healthy, but he's at 22 WAR now and could finish near 40 WAR. That wouldn't be "good" but it wouldn't be "bust." But it's probably more likely he ends up around 30 which ... probably still not quite a "bust" but definitely "bad." He's a lesson in deferment and keeping track of who pays what. The Marlins chose to underpay him in those first 3 years by a substantial amount, deferring that to the age 37 season and the $10 M option buyout. The Marlins now will pay $30 M of that final $35 M. They also took on $23 M in Starlin Castro.

Still, the Marlins got 14 WAR for $60 M (half of that deferred until 2026) which is awesome. They got 2.8 WAR out of Castro for $23 M which is close enough to break even. The Yanks so far 8 WAR for $106 which is bad, the only bright spot being it's still about 4 WAR per 650.

Guys hurt early, healthy later: Edgar of course. McGwire was healthy early, missed a lot of time 29-32, healthy 33-35. Rico Carty had a bizarrely shaped career but was pretty durable from 35-39.

Most comparable to Correa is probably Barry Larkin. Larkin missed substantial time at 23, 25, 27, 29 and 33 yet made it over 9000 PA for his career and produced 50 WAR from ages 27-36 averaging just 124 games a year. Larkin took a while to get going but from 24-26, he produced 6.3 WAR per 650; Correa 6.9 per 650 and obviously much better than Larkin for ages 20-23.

Larry Walker is another positive comp. He missed a month a year and barely made it over 8000 PA for his career. From 27-36, he put up 51 WAR averaging 124 games a year at a pace of 6.5 WAR/650. From 24-26, he'd put up just 5 WAR/650. Trout looks like he might fall into this category too ... from 2017-19, he averaged just 129 games ... and 8 WAR. (He was on pace for missing about 30 games in 2020, of course missed most of this year.)

Chances are extremely good that Correa will produce at least 30 WAR over the next 10 years; the expectation is probably more like 40 with a good shot at 50. It might be 5 healthy seasons and 5 of not nuch or it might be 120 games a year or it might be a scary season or two in the first 5 with a bounce back. 40 WAR is gonna cost you at least $300 M, might as well spread it out in a 10-12 year contract. Or you can try a Dodgers approach (Harper declined, Bauer accepted) and offer Correa 4/$180 then let somebody else worry about whether they want to pay him 6/$120 later.

I suspect we'll either end up with something like Mookie's deal (that deal is heavily deferred) or something that (for example) gives him 5/$170 with an opt-out (or multiple) after year 5 for 5/$120 if the team wants some protection against injury/decline.
   32. Walt Davis Posted: November 07, 2021 at 05:10 PM (#6051814)
For comparison:

Votto 10/$225: 30 WAR for $153 (includes the 2020 deduction), 4.5 WAR/650, $23 M/650, $5.1 M/WAR, 2/$57 to go
Cano 10/$240: 25 WAR for $142 (includes the PEDs and 2020 deduction), 4.5 WAR/650, $25 M/650, $5.7 M/WAR, 2/$48 to go

How is it that one of those "worked out" and the other is a "bust." The Mets might well have gotten a bust -- they're the Mets, it's what they do -- but the Cano contract was not a bust. (And even for the Mets, remember that between eaten contracts and cash, the Ms picked up about half of the $120 Cano was still owed at the time ... and I assume the Ms get no discount on the eaten contracts thanks to 2020 or the suspensions. So the Mets' "bust" is only gonna cost them something like $40 M ... for which there's some chance they'll still get 4-5 WAR.)

It's obviously not easy to compare money values between Winfield (1981-90) and Cano but over the 10 years covered by that contract, Winfield put up 28 WAR ... affected by the 81 strike and missing all of his age 37 season. Why did that "work out" but Cano is a "bust"?

And I think we can safely say that ARod I more than "worked out." He opted out along the way but in the original 10 years covered by that contract, he put up 71 WAR. The pre-option period was 56 WAR in 7 seasons. No matter how you slice it, that was a huge win for the team. Even ARod II might not have been a "bust" at 23 WAR for about $250 M (given prices at the time, it's probably borderline bust).

EDIT: For the price difference between Cano and Votto ... both contracts cover the 2014-23 seasons but Votto signed that extension in April 2012 while of course Cano's was signed during the 2013-14 offseason. I don't know what happened to contracts in that interim but inflation and the Reds presumably getting some "discount" for extending Votto 2 years early probably makes them equivalent in "market value at the time of signing." Votto's contract is deferred a bit so that might be enough to make it a bit cheaper from that perspective. (Votto was already on an arb buyout 3/$38 contract covering 2011-13.)
   33. Walt Davis Posted: November 07, 2021 at 05:30 PM (#6051815)
To put numbers on Mookie ... while 12/$365 are the headline numbers, per Cots the MLBPA puts the NPV at $306 and the MLBPA/MLB use ridiculously low return rates (under 2% from memory). The $65 M signing bonus is spread out over the first 15 years; 40% of the "salary" bit is deferred and paid out over 12 years after the contract ends. Unless he's traded, then the salary is no longer deferred -- will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Heck, given how crazy the market's been over the last 15 months, if the Dodgers set aside $300 M at signing, they'd probably already have enough raw dollars to pay out the entire contract with another 23 years of return as pure profit.
   34. The Duke Posted: November 07, 2021 at 05:56 PM (#6051818)
“A good shot at 50”. So just to go back to my Pujols argument he has a good shot of 83 WAR by 37. If he’s one of those guys who can play until 40 he could hit 90 ish WAR. Since Albert has been backing up for a long time that’s not that far away from a pujolsian career. And Correa probably lost 3-4 WAR in 2020.

I’ve come to think Correa is the best guy you could sign in this class. $300 million for maybe 50 WAR at SS is a huge add to a good team
   35. and Posted: November 07, 2021 at 06:12 PM (#6051820)
To add to The Duke’s comment, Correa could bust or be too hurt to play much of the contract. But so could any FA and our projection systems aren’t good enough to know which and teams don’t sign enough FAs for the odds to even out.

36. bookbook Posted: November 08, 2021 at 02:00 AM (#6051847)
5 years $160 million to Correa is a joke offer, much like the Gillick-Mariners offer to A-Rod 20 years ago.. It says clearly to the player, and the fans, that the FO doesn’t want to compete for that player. Fortunately for management, fans will blame the players for anything and everything.

If you wanted to sign Correa on a 5-year deal, you’d have to pay the proper premium to buy out prime—and only prime—years. That probably starts at 5 yrs, $215 million or more. (It’s been ten years since Pujols, and Correa is a 27-year-old shortstop, not a 32-year-old first baseman losing a years-long war with plantar fasciitis.
   37. Rally Posted: November 08, 2021 at 10:56 AM (#6051872)

In what stat? Without looking them up, my guess is that for most, maybe all batting stats through age 26, Correa’s best season is inferior to Albert’s worst.
   38. bookbook Posted: November 08, 2021 at 12:41 PM (#6051888)
iTunes, after ten years, is a 27-yr-old GG SS required to hit like Lou Gehrig or Albert pujols
   39. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 08, 2021 at 02:53 PM (#6051908)
MLB Trade Rumors has predictions for the Top 50 free agents, and its guess is that Correa gets $320M/10 years, with the Tigers & Phillies the most likely destinations. If that’s close, the Astros offering half of that wouldn’t appear to be a competitive offer.
   40. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 08, 2021 at 02:58 PM (#6051911)
So are we all assuming that the Dodgers are just backing up a dumptruck full of cash to Seager's driveway?
The trade for Trea Turner suggests they may not be bringing Seager back, at least at dump trucks of cash prices.
   41. Jack Sommers Posted: November 08, 2021 at 05:47 PM (#6051944)
Correa WAR Per 650 PA through age 26, 3223 PA is 6.9

Albert WAR/650 through age 26, 4062 PA is 7.4, or if you prefer, through age 24, (wink wink) 2,728 PA, 7.0, OR if you want to line up the PA, through age 25 3,428 PA, 7.1 WAR

So on a rate basis their position adjusted rate of production is roughly equal.

But of course rate will only take you so far.

From 2007 through 2017 Albert AVERAGED 648 PA while also averaging 4.9 WAR, (obviously front loaded in that span, but still)

Correa, given his health history, would seem to be a long shot to average 650 PA over the next 10-11 years.

So for me, in comparing to Albert, I would not put him in the same class, simply because of durability. He's definitely not the same caliber hitter obviously, and derives so much of his value from playing SS, which is going to ebb more quickly as he crosses 29-30.

I think he is a strong bet to put up 25-30 WAR over the next 8 years, but a poor bet for 40-50.

8/240 is really the correct number here.

42. Darren Posted: November 10, 2021 at 12:08 PM (#6052251)
Are we really talking about someone being a good bet for 50 WAR from ages 27-36? How many players has that described in the history of baseball? 50? 25? Pretty much nobody is a good bet for 50 WAR.

I imagine projection systems would see him putting up something like 5, 5, 5, 4.7, 4.4, 4, 3.5, 3, 2.2, 1.5, which is about 37. Correa is probably a good bet for 30-37 WAR?

10/300 sounds pretty reasonable.

(Edit: fixed math.)
   43. cardsfanboy Posted: November 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM (#6052260)
Just curious, does anyone think this first offer is the last offer the Astros are going to make?
   44. cardsfanboy Posted: November 10, 2021 at 12:33 PM (#6052266)
8/240 is really the correct number here.

so beyond what the Astros are offering, you are saying 3 additional years for 80 mil (Astros offer was 32 mil a year, you are arguing for an additional 26.7 for three more years, or an average deal of 30 mil... Seems perfectly reasonable, and if backed into a corner, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Astros match that offer. Even knowing full and well he's going to be below value in the last two years.

(Honestly I like incentive based contracts, if I'm the Astros I addenum the 5 year offer with player incentives, meaning that if he plays an average of over 130+ games in his first two years, he gets an additional year (if he wants) at 30 mil, if he averages 130 games played over the next 4 years he gets another additional year (if he wants) at 130 games, and if he averages 130 games a year in his two additional years he gets (if he wants) another 30 year contract, making the offer 5 years for 160, 6 for 190, 7 for 220 and 8 for 250. or something like that, the point is, if he is going to claim the Astros don't appreciate him, they can claim he doesn't have faith in his ability to stay healthy.

45. base ball chick Posted: November 10, 2021 at 01:52 PM (#6052298)
ida know bout that

i think he would be nuts to do an incentive based contract like that as i am really really sure he can get a contract for more than 5 years not incentive based. dead years are fine IF you release/find sucker to trade with - the dead weight
   46. Darren Posted: November 10, 2021 at 02:01 PM (#6052302)

Just curious, does anyone think this first offer is the last offer the Astros are going to make?

They've been pretty clear about not wanting to go past 5 years on contracts, so ... maybe?

I could see them upping the offer to something below the highest bidder at some point, though.
   47. cardsfanboy Posted: November 10, 2021 at 04:52 PM (#6052377)

i think he would be nuts to do an incentive based contract like that as i am really really sure he can get a contract for more than 5 years not incentive based. dead years are fine IF you release/find sucker to trade with - the dead weight

I know he wouldn't take that if he got a comparable offer. The point I was making was that they could make an offer like that public if he ends up signing somewhere else.

The entire point of making offers public is to show you tried.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogHector Lopez, Who Broke a Baseball Color Barrier, Dies at 93
(19 - 7:18pm, Oct 03)
Last: Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome

NewsblogShohei Ohtani to make $30 million in 2023, record amount for arbitration-eligible player
(15 - 7:14pm, Oct 03)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

Newsblog2022-23 Preseason NBA thread
(360 - 7:08pm, Oct 03)
Last: aberg

NewsblogRoger Maris Jr. blasts MLB, says Aaron Judge’s potential 62nd home run should be single-season record
(122 - 7:06pm, Oct 03)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogTony La Russa expected to announce retirement Monday as White Sox manager
(15 - 7:02pm, Oct 03)
Last: asinwreck

NewsblogTo dream the impossible dream - and then decide it's time to let it go
(49 - 5:32pm, Oct 03)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogAtlanta Braves sign RHP Charlie Morton to 1-year, $20 million deal for 2023
(4 - 5:16pm, Oct 03)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogThree impacts of baseball's new 12-team postseason format
(21 - 5:16pm, Oct 03)
Last: NaOH

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(304 - 5:14pm, Oct 03)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogThere's a new longest last name in MLB history
(15 - 4:19pm, Oct 03)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogTrevor Bauer’s defamation case against accuser’s former attorney could be thrown out
(30 - 3:40pm, Oct 03)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT: Wrestling Thread November 2014
(2543 - 2:26pm, Oct 03)
Last: Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of September 26 - October 5, 2022
(201 - 9:23am, Oct 03)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogOT - October 2022 College Football thread
(48 - 1:49pm, Oct 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness