Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Astros Staffer’s Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB’s Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward Domestic Violence

More than an hour after José Altuve won the Astros the pennant, the party in the Houston clubhouse still raged. Rightfielder Josh Reddick was crushing vodka Red Bulls. Starter Gerrit Cole smoked a cigar. Shortstop Carlos Correa gazed lovingly at the American League championship trophy.

And in the center of the room, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of three female reporters, including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet, and yelled, half a dozen times, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f———glad we got Osuna!”

The outburst was offensive and frightening enough that another Houston staffer apologized. The Astros declined to comment. They also declined to make Taubman available for an interview.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:21 AM | 324 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: asshats, astros, domestic violence, general, houston, houston astros, media

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   101. spycake Posted: October 22, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5892900)
Flip.

And I'll now refrain from feeding the troll any further. Sorry. :)
   102. The Duke Posted: October 22, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5892902)
It sounds like there is more to this story - I’ll be interested to hear what it is
   103. Traderdave Posted: October 22, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5892904)
The Astros need to can this guy right now, before I finish this sandwich, or every damn interview/article this week will mention this dumbass. Taubman could be the second coming of Branch Rickey but they 'stros have a much bigger fish to fry right now -- it's called the World Series.
   104. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 22, 2019 at 02:00 PM (#5892906)
Between this and Gurriel's mocking of Darvish, the Astros do seem to be at their douchiest when the spotlight is on.
   105. Greg Pope Posted: October 22, 2019 at 02:37 PM (#5892933)
In general I'm skeptical when someone reports something like "turned to a group" and "yelled". Specifically when there's a lot of people around. So my first thought on reading this was, "He probably didn't actually yell anything at them, they just happened to be in the room". And this does seem more like an opinion piece than an article .

However, two things make it pretty clear he was directing it at the reporters:

1. The fact that Taubman seems to have said it half a dozen times
2. There is zero reason to single out Osuna in this case considering he blew the game and they had to come back.

There's just no way he was doing anything other than taunting the reporters.
   106. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:02 PM (#5892940)
Taubman and Crane just released new official statements. Link. Taubman's is a limp non-apology that maintains the "I was just defending the player" facade, and Crane's is mostly just about how the Astros gave money to domestic violence charities in exchange for PR. Neither addresses the lies in the team's previous statement or its attempt to impugn the credibility of the reporter who initially reported it.

Also, MLB is investigating the situation.
   107. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5892947)
I thought this tweet from Travis Sawchik was interesting.
   108. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5892948)
a limp non-apology
You'd think the PR people and/or lawyers who write these things would know better by now than to use the exact words "I'm sorry if anyone was offended." That's pretty much apology trolling.
   109. Srul Itza Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:43 PM (#5892956)
just said some drunk edgelord #### that he would never say otherwise and that he doesn't really even believe

In vino veritas
   110. Traderdave Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:46 PM (#5892957)
A billion dollar organization that literally exists in the media spotlight can't figure out a basic PR move like can the SOB immediately and issue an apology that at least sounds real even if it's not? On the first day of the World Series?

111. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:47 PM (#5892958)
A billion dollar organization that literally exists in the media spotlight can't figure out a basic PR move like can the SOB immediately and issue an apology that at least sounds real even if it's not? On the first day of the World Series?

I'm shocked Manfred hasn't called Crane and basically ordered him to fire the #######. Is this what MLB wants the country talking about today?
   112. Srul Itza Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:50 PM (#5892960)
Is this a response to #67?

No, it's just another troll

Also, I did not do this.

And the troll wins.
   113. Blastin Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:51 PM (#5892961)
It's just... why aren't these men smarter about cleaning up an unforced error? If you act like this, it becomes an Astros problem rather than a This Dude problem. So, good job.
   114. manchestermets Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:52 PM (#5892962)
Crane's is mostly just about how the Astros gave money to domestic violence charities in exchange for PR.

Not even gave money, "raised" money. They let other people pay for their PR.
   115. . Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:55 PM (#5892964)
Is this what MLB wants the country talking about today?

"The country" isn't talking about it. It's strange that you would confuse BTF, Deadspin, and the rest of the perpetually outraged with "the country." And wide swaths of those that are talking about it are simply talking their book.
   116. The Duke Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5892966)
He should have accused the reporters of being Russian agents - that’s perfectly acceptable now
   117. bunyon Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:58 PM (#5892967)
Crane didn't fire Tubman because he agrees with him.
   118. Traderdave Posted: October 22, 2019 at 03:58 PM (#5892968)
The Darvish thing 2 years ago was embarrassing enough (and the Astros got Lucky that Darvish handled it with such grace) but management offending reporters like this is titanically stupid. It guarantees that every reporter, blogger, talking head, columnist and pundit will be jawing about it. Don't get into a war of words with someone who buys ink buy the barrel, 'cause their colleagues buy barrels of it also.
   119. Blastin Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:00 PM (#5892969)
fire Tubman

Oooooh that's quite a misspelling
   120. Blastin Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:01 PM (#5892971)
The Darvish thing 2 years ago was embarrassing enough (and the Astros got Lucky that Darvish handled it with such grace) but management offending reporters like this is titanically stupid. It guarantees that every reporter, blogger, talking head, columnist and pundit will be jawing about it. Don't get into a war of words with someone who buys ink buy the barrel, 'cause their colleagues buy barrels of it also.

Yeah, and they don't even have a point. Like, there's no good reason to act this way other than "I do what I want" thinking.
   121. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:02 PM (#5892972)
Don't get into a war of words with someone who buys ink buy the barrel, 'cause their colleagues buy barrels of it also.
Oooh, there's another figure of speech that's technologically obsolete.
   122. Scott Lange Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:02 PM (#5892973)
78. jmurph Posted: October 22, 2019 at 12:24 PM (#5892848)
71. Quaker Posted: October 22, 2019 at 12:15 PM (#5892841)
It's laughable that this is a story. The Asst GM said he was "so f'ing glad" they acquired Osuna. The mental gymnastics needed to turn this into some controversy where a guy should lose his job are incredible.

So not, like, a practicing Quaker.

Primey.
   123. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:02 PM (#5892974)
"The country" isn't talking about it. It's strange that you would confuse BTF, Deadspin, and the rest of the perpetually outraged with "the country." And wide swaths of those that are talking about it are simply talking their book.

It's the top baseball story on ESPN, and on the lead story on SI's website.
   124. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:03 PM (#5892975)
It's the top baseball story on ESPN
So about the 75th story overall? Right after "Tom Brady Passes Gas."
   125. . Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:06 PM (#5892977)
and on the lead story on SI's website.

Talking their book.

The vast majority of the country doesn't obsess about sports as covered by the internet.

It's not on MLB.com at all -- COVER UP!!!!!! It's not on the main ESPN headline page at all, either. So it's basically on SI, Deadspin, and BTF -- the homes of sports-niche-focused perpetual outrage.

126. Traderdave Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5892979)
The reasons do not matter. SI could be the most misogynist organization this side of Trump the ##### grabber, and them talking their book could be the most cynical & disingenuous stunt in history and it doesn't matter. What does matter is this #### IS being talked about instead of the game. However wrong or stupid that may be, the Astros are 1000x stupider for not putting this fire out immediately.
   127. Quaker Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:15 PM (#5892980)
In other words, Quaker is a troll. Probably an incel[/quote

Based on your Twitter avatar, which I’ll refrain from posting, I’m going to guess your profession is not male model, so you might want to take it easy w the incel commentary.

The idea that anyone should lose his/her job for saying they’re glad their team signed a player is absurd. The idea that being glad they acquired Osuna means the guy “supports” DV is even more ridiculous.

If I’d said I was ####### glad the Cubs picked up Chapman after Game 5 (or even Game 7) of 2016 in front of female co-workers, I shouldn’t face any workplace discipline for that.

Just a thought, but maybe someone who wears a purple DV bracelet is particularly sensitive to the subject and inclined to make a mountain out of a molehill or read negative intentions into comments that aren’t there.

128. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:16 PM (#5892982)

Yes, but did he apologize for it? Was his flatulence repeated six times while being directed toward a reporter? These are things we have to know.

In seriousness, this is reprehensible behavior from the front office, and if it weren't for Jose Altuve, the Astros would probably be at the top of my list of hated teams. This story does seem like it's gained national traction, and that's good. The more this sort of activity is criticized, the hope is that more people will realize their attitudes and thoughts need to change.
   129. Rally Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:17 PM (#5892983)
“ I'm shocked Manfred hasn't called Crane and basically ordered him to fire the #######. Is this what MLB wants the country talking about today?”

I agree he should be fired. But where on earth do you get the idea that firing him would be the end of the story? No matter what they do, this is what the baseball press is going to be talking about.
   130. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:23 PM (#5892984)
Just a thought, but maybe someone who wears a purple DV bracelet is particularly sensitive to the subject and inclined to make a mountain out of a molehill or read negative intentions into comments that aren’t there.

Leaving the rest of it aside, you might have the tiniest sliver of an argument here if 1) There hadn't been another Astros employee there who not only noticed the behavior, but obviously felt like there was enough intent to apologize to the reporter and 2) the story wasn't corroborated by several third parties. This was profane taunting, and it was based on incredibly sensitive subject matter. Not that it would excuse the behavior itself, but at least if this had happened behind closed doors the organization could deal with it internally (not that they would, based on their wagon-circling). But this was not only in front of reporters, it was directed TO reporters.

If I repeatedly yelled at female coworkers (or visiting third parties on company grounds) in a profane manner that I was glad my company had hired a domestic abuser, I would expect to face discipline, and I wouldn't want to work for any organization that would overlook behavior like that.
   131. Srul Itza Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:25 PM (#5892986)
A poster who does not know how to format a quote is not to be taken seriously, even if he was not such an obvious troll.
   132. Traderdave Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:26 PM (#5892987)
But this was not only in front of reporters, it was directed TO reporters.

Reporters -- the people who give your organization metric #### loads of free publicity. Hell, reporters's employers PAY big bucks for the privilege of giving you free publicity. They are the first set of asses to kiss.
   133. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:35 PM (#5892988)

From the Washington Post:

The Houston Chronicle cited two eyewitnesses in reporting that Taubman was “holding a cigar and standing with two or three other men when he yelled his comments,” and that the group of female reporters was “approximately eight feet away and one was visibly shaken by the comment.” The Chronicle also reported no players were in the area and no interviews were being conducted at the time, disputing the team’s claim.

“It’s so easy to just be like ‘This is the first we heard and we’re investigating’ and then on November 1 you announce he’s going to be suspended for a week,” Apstein said. “But they want to be entitled to their version of events, what they want to have happened.”

She isn't and wasn't asking for him to be fired.

Anyway, with all of the bad behavior by men (and sometimes women) in positions of power that has been swept under the rug over the years, I do think it's important that these things get talked about when they involve people in public roles with very public organizations. At some point then maybe it will enter the public consciousness that this kind of behavior is inappropriate. You would be surprised how many people don't seem to realize that. (And if he thought it was ok to treat members of the press this way in public, it would not surprise me if there is worse behavior going on behind the scenes within the Astros organization.)
   134. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5892990)
Yes, but did he apologize for it?
In a statement, Brady said "I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my ass." The Boston Globe is reporting that a "high-ranking NFL executive" immediately sprayed Febreze in an attempted cover-up.
   135. Quaker Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:49 PM (#5892995)
A poster who does not know how to format a quote is not to be taken seriously, even if he was not such an obvious troll.

Anyone who doesn't agree that this is much ado about nothing must be a troll. No chance anyone could see it differently.

And sorry I messed up phone posting on the previous post.
   136. bunyon Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:54 PM (#5892999)
People saying no one is talking about this don't seem to be talking about baseball in any of the other threads. Weird.
   137. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: October 22, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5893002)
I agree he should be fired. But where on earth do you get the idea that firing him would be the end of the story? No matter what they do, this is what the baseball press is going to be talking about.

It wouldn't be the end of the story but one of these is a hell of a lot easier to stand behind in the court of public opinion;

"Yeah he shouldn't have said that."

"Taubman's comments do not represent the Houston Astro organization in any way and he has been terminated with immediate effect."

Now, there IS a problem with the second one which is you then have to answer the question "so the guy who defends the guy who beats his wife is bad news but the actual wife beater, you are cool with him?" That's not a great look but they've lived with that one for a year and a half and can fall back on "he did his time." It's not great but on something like this you are never really getting to a "good" answer.
   138. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:13 PM (#5893006)
Anyone who doesn't agree that this is much ado about nothing must be a troll. No chance anyone could see it differently.

Ah, the ol' playground classic popularized by that philosophical genius, Pee Wee Herman: "I know you are, but what am I?"
   139. SoSH U at work Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:20 PM (#5893009)
I don't think Quaker is being a troll. Spectacularly wrong, of course. But he seems to be coming upon his spectacular wrongness honestly.

140. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:26 PM (#5893010)
Aunt just texted me. Story on NPR
   141. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:29 PM (#5893011)

The Deflategate saga continues!
   142. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:32 PM (#5893012)
Per the story relayed by text one of the reporters will tweet a domestic violence hotline number when Osuna comes into games. The Astros guy had complained to her employer. So there is previous history
   143. Howie Menckel Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:39 PM (#5893013)
one of the reporters will tweet a domestic violence hotline number when Osuna comes into games.

if that is still true at this point, that is pretty lame by the reporter - not that it opens her up to the alleged nonsense by this employee, of course.

but it carries a whiff of as much or more "look at me!" than it does "hmm, how can I come to the aid of battered women."

I wonder what number she texts when Gurriel is up
   144. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:47 PM (#5893015)
Guess I don’t get how posting contact info is lame or some kind of attention getter.
   145. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:49 PM (#5893017)
I also find it highly unlikely that SI would have let this go, pre-internet. And SI had a much bigger platform in the old days.

Dave Kingman sending a dead rat to a female, reporter 40 years ago was somehow a big story back in the pre-internet fake outrage days.
   146. Quaker Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:51 PM (#5893018)
Not trolling at all. The idea that 10-15 years of work to get to the point where Taubman is in his career should be trashed bc of some drunken comment is entirely out of proportion to any "crime." At most, he should be told to STFU and all parties should move on with their lives.

I also don't buy that any of the reporters actually felt "frightened" or however they described it in the article.

And if #142 is true, I don't see how the reporter regularly tweeting a hotline number improves anyone's life. If the idea is to show that she doesn't approve of domestic violence, I think that's a pretty universal opinion. It's akin to tweeting out a hotline number for cancer patients (if such things exist?) every time Lester or Rizzo play. You don't like cancer? No one does. There's nothing bold or noteworthy about that stance.
   147. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:55 PM (#5893021)
146: if it’s not noteworthy why did the guy bother to complain to her employer?
   148. Traderdave Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:56 PM (#5893023)
When did you become a Quaker, Ray?
   149. notdavo Posted: October 22, 2019 at 05:57 PM (#5893026)
@AllahLiker
baseball sucks so i fully support the complete cancelation of anyone douchey enough to be even remotely associated with that whole enterprise

@AllahLiker
a financial whiz kid living his dream of doing a "numbersball" for the astros and absolutely howling at the ladies about domestic violence being good now is basically the essence of baseball sorry but it's true
   150. Howie Menckel Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:00 PM (#5893029)
Guess I don’t get how posting contact info is lame or some kind of attention getter.

well, how do you choose? obviously, few people would find Gurriel's conduct re Darvish as anything near what Osuna is alleged to have done (though was he found or pled guilty?).

I assume she did same when Chapman was in the game as well. and there could be others. if she is doing this on a Twitter account representing her employer, seems like she is making some management decisions for everyone. that's different than a personal account.

someone convicted of reckless driving after being involved in an accident surely merits a hotline number. DWI, too, I would imagine. or do they just have to be arrested for it, no conviction necessary?

151. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:05 PM (#5893030)
150: so you have been to be an advocate for all issues or none? Weird standard
   152. Baldrick Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:06 PM (#5893031)
Ignore List successfully updated
   153. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:09 PM (#5893032)
Aunt just texted me. Story on NPR

A tweet from NPR's David Folkenflik with some additional, and useful, context on Taubman's actions:

Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman was targeting a female reporter wearing a purple bracelet on domestic violence.

She has tweeted frequently on DV; he complained about her tweets offering info on DV hotlines when Roberto Osuna appeared in Astros games in 2018.

If anyone didn't think that Taubman was lying before...
   154. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:12 PM (#5893033)
Official BBWAA statement on Taubman and the Astros. They called them out for lying in an effort to destroy the SI reporter's reputation, and issued a demand for a public apology to the reporter, SI, and the BBWAA from the Astros, Crane, Taubman, Anita Seghal (Astros Senior VP, Marketing and Communications), and Gene Dias (Astros Media Relations Director).
   155. Quaker Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:14 PM (#5893034)
if it’s not noteworthy why did the guy bother to complain to her employer?

Why don't you read what I actually posted? I said that disapproving of DV, cancer, etc. is not a noteworthy stance. Everyone knows those things are bad. Repetitively posting a phone number on Twitter doesn't actually help anyone. It just conveys that you disapprove of DV which, again, so does everyone else.

156. The Run Fairy Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:20 PM (#5893035)
I also don't buy that any of the reporters actually felt "frightened" or however they described it in the article.

This is a frightening take and part of why people need to tweet against domestic violence.
   157. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:20 PM (#5893036)
It just conveys that you disapprove of DV which, again, so does everyone else.

Well nearly everyone. Apparently Taubman thinks it should be given a bit of a pass since he's fronting up to female reporters in his support of a known abuser.

Between Osuna and Chapman trying to close out game 6, I was glad to see both fail in a pretty big way.
   158. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:21 PM (#5893037)
155: ok. Don’t answer the inconvenient question. No prob
   159. . Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:32 PM (#5893039)
if it’s not noteworthy why did the guy bother to complain to her employer?

Because she was acting like a troll and a stalker?(*) Does she follow non-public people actually convicted of DV and tweet out when they fill out a job application, too? Or if they work as like a plumber's assistant or on a construction crew, when the crew starts a morning job?

(*) If the report is accurate, anyway. If it's not, then she wasn't.
   160. Quaker Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:34 PM (#5893040)
This is a frightening take and part of why people need to tweet against domestic violence.

Do you think there was any chance of physical harm befalling one of these reporters in the middle of the clubhouse? I certainly don't.

I'm not sure how they navigate bars back in NYC if they're scared of drunk finance bros making off color remarks.
   161. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:39 PM (#5893041)
Chris Thomas @ByChrisThomas
To recap Astros PR’s last 15 months:

-Stripped Houston reporter’s creds for tweet that didn’t violate cred terms.
-Violated CBA to ban Freep reporter from postgame scrum (by using security guards).
-Called SI story on exec’s misogyny “fabricated” after declining to comment
   162. The Run Fairy Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:51 PM (#5893044)
Do you think there was any chance of physical harm befalling one of these reporters in the middle of the clubhouse? I certainly don't.

Why is the threshold for "frightened" actual physical violence? Why is this repeatedly shouting at somebody in their place of work merely "off color"?

Why are you giving the Astros the benefit of the doubt and not the journalists?
   163. Jack Sommers Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:56 PM (#5893045)
We are what we think, and we write and say what we think. So what we write and say is what we are.

If someone is writing callous, uncaring, obtuse things, then that's what they are.

164. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: October 22, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5893046)
Why is this repeatedly shouting at somebody in their place of work merely "off color"?

Why are you giving the Astros the benefit of the doubt and not the journalists?

Because it's RDP.
   165. caspian88 Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:00 PM (#5893047)
Domestic violence is something you do. Cancer, well, isn't.

Public figures (which professional athletes playing one of the world's major sports are) are different than non-public figures. They get held to a higher level of scrutiny by virtue of being public figures whose actions (and consequences for said actions) can and do affect how those actions are perceived by society at large.

If Osuna doesn't want to be be called out for domestic violence, he's free to retire and enjoy his millions in private. Same with Chapman, Russell, and everyone else.
   166. . Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:02 PM (#5893048)
So what we write and say is what we are.

On the performative internet in 2019?

LOL. Sure.
   167. JJ1986 Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:08 PM (#5893052)
Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman was targeting a female reporter wearing a purple bracelet on domestic violence.

She has tweeted frequently on DV; he complained about her tweets offering info on DV hotlines when Roberto Osuna appeared in Astros games in 2018.

Seems like a swell guy.
   168. Omineca Greg Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:15 PM (#5893054)
Dave Kingman sending a dead rat to a female, reporter 40 years ago was somehow a big story back in the pre-internet fake outrage days.

I think the rat was alive.
   169. Perry Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:30 PM (#5893056)
   170. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:38 PM (#5893059)
I think the rat was alive.

Well yeah. It would be tough for Kingman to send anything if he were dead.
   171. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:47 PM (#5893062)
   172. Tin Angel Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:56 PM (#5893068)
Don’t you guys get it? No one is talking about this!
   173. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 07:59 PM (#5893071)
Not trolling at all. The idea that 10-15 years of work to get to the point where Taubman is in his career should be trashed bc of some drunken comment is entirely out of proportion to any "crime." At most, he should be told to STFU and all parties should move on with their lives.

He's a 34 y.o. Finance Bro. He has all of 6 years experience in baseball. His career in MLB should absolutely be trashed because he's either 1) an obnoxious misogynist, or 2) a drunk who can't control his mouth. Much more impressive careers have been ruined over less. I've managed to have a career more than twice as long as his without ever screaming profanity laced invectives at anyone at work. It's not a high standard of conduct.

This ain't Joe Torre or Frank Robinson, he's a completely replaceable drone. You could take his job tomorrow, and no one would notice the difference.
   174. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:00 PM (#5893073)
Jorge Arangure with a pretty good burn on the Astros.

That's f***ing awesome.

"The Sinaloa Cartel profusely apologizes for the events that occurred on Oct. 17 in Culiacán, and offers a public apology for our role in this incident."
Pretty crazy that the Sinaloa drug cartel has a better PR staff than the Houston Astros.
   175. . Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:02 PM (#5893075)
Finance Bro.

Love how everyone keeps calling him names like this, and commenting on irrelevancies like his looks. Gives regular centrists real confidence in your bona fides.

176. The Mighty Quintana Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:03 PM (#5893076)
Golic & Son were talking about it this morning on ESPN and taking the Astros to task. So I think we safely out of the "nobody but SJWs cares about this" realm.

We've all seen incidents like this in our lives. Intimidation, pure and simple. Bullying of the lowest sort...

177. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:04 PM (#5893077)
Love how everyone keeps calling him names like this, and commenting on irrelevancies like his looks.

Do you think we don't know the average level of assholery is way above average among I-bankers? Is this some state secret? People who'll sell out their entire lives for the quickest possible buck tend to be total ########; color me shocked.
   178. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:06 PM (#5893078)
Golic & Son were talking about it this morning on ESPN and taking the Astros to task. So I think we safely out of the "nobody but SJWs" cares about this" realm.

We've all seen incidents like this in our lives. Intimidation, pure and simple. Bullying of the lowest sort...

Hell, I'm a paleo-conservative, the absolute furthest thing from "woke" or a "SJW", and I find this utterly despicable. Somebody should have punched this ####### in the face. That's what "old fashioned" men did to ######## who bully women.
   179. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:11 PM (#5893079)
Just got a text that dude will be suspended and team thinking termination. No attribution Sorry
   180. winnipegwhip Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:14 PM (#5893082)
Golic & Son were talking about it this morning on ESPN and taking the Astros to task. So I think we safely out of the "nobody but SJWs cares about this" realm.

....or an event on this side of the International Date Line.
   181. JJ1986 Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:20 PM (#5893086)
I don't think he survives now, but imagine this being the guy you tarnished your whole organization for. This is going to stick to the Astros.
   182. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:29 PM (#5893090)
Just got a text that dude will be suspended and team thinking termination.

It seems like he has an appreciation for distressed assets. Perhaps he’ll derive some satisfaction from being one?
   183. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:37 PM (#5893097)
   184. notdavo Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:40 PM (#5893098)
Of course we have multiple members of the Astros’ Operations staff who post on this very site, people who doubtless observed their bosses’ misogyny and chose the cowardly path of looking the other way and keeping their mouths shut. Don’t wanna rock the boat, you guys have careers and mortgages to worry about!

It’s abominable, but not at all surprising.
   185. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:50 PM (#5893110)
I'm an investment banker and I'm not offended by the "finance bro" crack. Most of us are pretty good people but my wife also works in the industry so I know from her stories and experiences that some a-holes walk among us too.
   186. winnipegwhip Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:52 PM (#5893112)
Taubman appeared triggered...”

as a Yankee fan so was I by Altuve.
   187. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:54 PM (#5893114)

For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't terminate him unless there's a broader pattern of behavior revealed. Assuming he's good at his job, which he probably is given his rise within an organization that has been very successful.
   188. winnipegwhip Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:55 PM (#5893115)
I am Canadian so I don't understand the acronym NPR....does it mean "Not Particularly Relevent"?
   189. The Run Fairy Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:56 PM (#5893116)
Of course we have multiple members of the Astros’ Operations staff who post on this very site, people who doubtless observed their bosses’ misogyny and chose the cowardly path of looking the other way and keeping their mouths shut. Don’t wanna rock the boat, you guys have careers and mortgages to worry about!

It’s abominable, but not at all surprising.

I mean this seriously, Davo. Seek help. For the good of your family, seek help.
   190. . Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:57 PM (#5893117)
I'm an investment banker and I'm not offended by the "finance bro" crack. Most of us are pretty good people but my wife also works in the industry so I know from her stories and experiences that some a-holes walk among us too.

If this is aimed at me, I never said or even hinted that I was "offended" by it. I merely noted, correctly, that all the stuff about what the guy looks like, and the fact that he's apparently been in I-banking calls into question the factual analysis and even-handed perceptions of the people making the comments. If the witnesses share the bias, their perceptions get called into question as well.

There's typically an air of class-based Two Minutes Hate that works its way into these "outrages," and this one appears to be no exception. It makes them even more ridiculous.
   191. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 08:59 PM (#5893122)
188: National Public Radio. Who are big fans of Canada!
   192. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:01 PM (#5893123)
187--are the 'Stros successful because of the dudes on the field or some guy who is one of maybe 10,000 of comparable skillset? I know what I think and it ain't the douche with female directed anger issues
   193. winnipegwhip Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:06 PM (#5893127)
National Public Radio. Who are big fans of Canada!

...except Alberta I guess.
   194. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:07 PM (#5893128)
#190 no, my point was more that "finance bro" is not an indication that the speaker thinks negatively of all men who work in finance or part of some "two minutes hate". But there's a certain subset for which the term fits and I think most people know what you mean -- whether or not this guy fits the bill I don't know. (There's also finance nerds who try to act like bros -- those guys are often worse. The Shkreli guy is probably the extreme version of that.)
   195. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:11 PM (#5893131)

187--are the 'Stros successful because of the dudes on the field or some guy who is one of maybe 10,000 of comparable skillset? I know what I think and it ain't the douche with female directed anger issues

Well either they lucked into a really good team on the field or the front office has done some good work. (Probably some combination of the two.)
   196. The Duke Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:12 PM (#5893132)
This never ends until the bad guy issues a statement saying “ this is not the person I am “ and begs forgiveness. He got close with his first attempt but he’s Not there yet.
   197. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:13 PM (#5893133)
I merely noted, correctly, that all the stuff about what the guy looks like, and the fact that he's apparently been in I-banking calls into question the factual analysis and even-handed perceptions of the people making the comments. If the witnesses share the bias, their perceptions get called into question as well.

There's typically an air of class-based Two Minutes Hate that works its way into these "outrages," and this one appears to be no exception. It makes them even more ridiculous.

It's Ray. Ignore it. It's what he does.
   198. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:17 PM (#5893135)
   199. Srul Itza Posted: October 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM (#5893189)
Pretty crazy that the Sinaloa drug cartel has a better PR staff than the Houston Astros.

They've got more resource to hire better people.
   200. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 10:36 PM (#5893192)

They've got more resource to hire better people.

At this point are they a drug cartel, or a regional gov't? I don't recall any national Gov't losing a pitched battle to crime syndicate recently.
Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harry Balsagne
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(10 - 8:23am, Aug 08)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8804 - 7:56am, Aug 08)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogJoba Chamberlain's belongings, baseball history to be auctioned Saturday
(17 - 7:12am, Aug 08)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogFormer Angels employee Eric Kay charged with distributing fentanyl in Tyler Skaggs case
(1 - 3:52am, Aug 08)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogStarting Pitcher Workloads Have Been Significantly Reduced in 2020
(1 - 3:47am, Aug 08)

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(2 - 3:43am, Aug 08)

NewsblogEx-White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen Still Really, Really Hates ‘Fake’ Nick Swisher
(10 - 1:51am, Aug 08)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogOMNICHATTER! now accepting mail-in comments, for August 7, 2020
(14 - 1:31am, Aug 08)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(42 - 11:56pm, Aug 07)
Last: Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(16 - 9:59pm, Aug 07)
Last: Booey

NewsblogBA: Sources: MLB Views Newest Minor League Proposal As 'Major Step Backwards'
(2 - 8:22pm, Aug 07)

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers' defense could be among the best in recent memory
(5 - 7:51pm, Aug 07)
Last: Rally

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-7-2020
(7 - 6:26pm, Aug 07)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Spring 2020
(625 - 5:32pm, Aug 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogBlue Jays forced to remove pitcher who wasn't on umpires' lineup card