Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Astros Staffer’s Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB’s Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward Domestic Violence

More than an hour after José Altuve won the Astros the pennant, the party in the Houston clubhouse still raged. Rightfielder Josh Reddick was crushing vodka Red Bulls. Starter Gerrit Cole smoked a cigar. Shortstop Carlos Correa gazed lovingly at the American League championship trophy.

And in the center of the room, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of three female reporters, including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet, and yelled, half a dozen times, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f———glad we got Osuna!”

The outburst was offensive and frightening enough that another Houston staffer apologized. The Astros declined to comment. They also declined to make Taubman available for an interview.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2019 at 09:21 AM | 324 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: asshats, astros, domestic violence, general, houston, houston astros, media

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 24, 2019 at 09:47 AM (#5893894)
There's no such thing as an "eyewitness" to what's in a person's mind when the person says something. There's also the distinct possibility of bias in the eyewitnesses, given the guy's finance bro douchiness. (I.e., the same kind of bias we see around here)

The "purple bracelet" thing is kind of the giveaway. Big red flag. There isn't a hint of indication the guy even knows what the purple bracelet stands for, and it's bizarre to pretend that everyone in the world goes around knowing the meaning of every symbolic socio-political thing that someone somewhere might display.

I guess the charge is that he was too positive about a DV guy being on the team, but again, it's a bit unclear when being positive about a DV player became a rule. Maybe it should be a rule, but it clearly isn't. Did Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer denounce DV every time they announced an Addison Russell AB this year? (Hint: they didn't.)

Looks like the rule really is that you can't say something positive about a DV guy while possessing the apparent status as finance bro d$uchebag. But that really isn't a rule, just an anti-finance bro ######### stance -- which is pretty much what's going on here. In the woke world, finance bro ########## MUST by their nature be misogynist. So then everything is interpreted from that biased perspective. It's possible the woke-ians got it right this time; it's also possible they didn't. Their interpretive track record is, to put it charitably, spotty.

I'm not woke. What the guy did is inexcusable behavior in the workplace. The DV angle doesn't even matter (it makes it worse, but isn't essential). If, without provocation, you scream profanity at people at a company event, you deserve to be fired. Full stop.

302. Howie Menckel Posted: October 24, 2019 at 09:48 AM (#5893895)
inappropriate bump
   303. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: October 24, 2019 at 09:49 AM (#5893896)
Recruiting is a massively inexact science. If you rank 100 candidates 1-100, the #1 may have the best chance of being a great executives, but the odds massively favor one of #2-11 being better.

Clinging to this for hope as we look at advertising for a social media manager for a third time here at work ...
   304. . Posted: October 24, 2019 at 09:56 AM (#5893898)
What the guy did is inexcusable behavior in the workplace. The DV angle doesn't even matter (it makes it worse, but isn't essential). If, without provocation, you scream profanity at people at a company event, you deserve to be fired. Full stop.

To the extent I even care, which isn't much, I don't have a problem with the guy getting suspended or whacked for general workplace assholetry and the f-bombs -- but you have to know by now that that isn't all of what's going on with this.
   305. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 24, 2019 at 09:59 AM (#5893899)
To the extent I even care, which isn't much, I don't have a problem with the guy getting suspended or whacked for general workplace assholetry and the f-bombs -- but you have to know by now that that isn't all of what's going on with this.

As long as he deserves his punishment, I don't particularly care why people are pushing for it.
   306. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: October 24, 2019 at 10:20 AM (#5893903)
Clearly, anti-Semitism is the motivation.
   307. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: October 24, 2019 at 02:39 PM (#5894034)
Peter Botte on Twitter:
The Astros say reports of them losing the first two games at home are "misleading and completely irresponsible."
   308. Zonk. Person. Man. Camera. TV. Posted: October 24, 2019 at 02:49 PM (#5894042)
Don't want to jump to any conclusions before Luhnow can carefully examine the boxscores, I presume...
   309. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2019 at 03:16 PM (#5894053)
Sources: Astros exec's job status under scrutiny

At this point the story is mostly just fascinating to watch how poorly they handle everything. That's the top sidebar news item on espn.com. Just suspend the man pending further investigation and don't say another damn thing about it until their season ends. It's baffling.
   310. spycake Posted: October 24, 2019 at 03:36 PM (#5894060)
Nevermind
   311. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: October 24, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5894089)
   312. Zonk. Person. Man. Camera. TV. Posted: October 24, 2019 at 04:44 PM (#5894095)
I hope sweet lady karma has time to review the statement before this weekend :-)
   313. Blastin Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:07 PM (#5894102)
Ha, eat it, dude.
   314. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:10 PM (#5894105)

I think the other question about Taubman -- and I see he was just fired -- is whether he lied to the club about the incident, leading them to publish the initial false statement. That would be a fireable offense even if you didn't think the original conduct was.
   315. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:17 PM (#5894108)
Reading the release on his firing, they mention the initial "assessment" was based on witness statements. So the other Astros employees with him lied to help cover?
   316. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:19 PM (#5894110)
While this is the obvious outcome part of me agrees with the deliberate approach. We are talking about a person's career/life so if termination is being considered then there has to be due diligence barring the super obvious. This seemed obvious but not absolutely obvious. That being said the organization would have been WAY better served just shutting up because the stuff coming out just made the whole organization look really massively stupid.

Happened on the weekend. He's fired by end of day Thursday. Seems about right.

And he's got to be ###### getting another big-time job in MLB, right? I mean why bother with the baggage?
   317. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:20 PM (#5894112)
So the other Astros employees with him lied to help cover? Good call and totally believable that this happened. Fits the culture I think.
   318. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:37 PM (#5894119)
Full statement:
"During the past two days, the Astros pro-actively assisted Major League Baseball in interviewing Astros employees as part of MLB's investigation of the events published in the recent Sports Illustrated article Major League Baseball also separately interviewed members of the media over the past 24 hours," the team said in a statement on Thursday. "Our initial investigation led us to believe that Brandon Taubman's inappropriate comments were not directed toward any reporter. We were wrong. We sincerely apologize to Stephanie Apstein, Sports Illustrated and to all individuals who witnessed this incident or were offended by the inappropriate conduct. The Astros in no way intended to minimize the issues related to domestic violence.

"Our initial belief was based on witness statements about the incident. Subsequent interviews have revealed that Taubman's inappropriate comments, were, in fact, directed toward one or more reporters. Accordingly, we have terminated Brandon Taubman's employment with the Houston Astros. His conduct does not reflect the values of our organization and we believe this is the most appropriate course of action.

"We are thankful to Major League Baseball and to everyone that cooperated in the investigation. As previously stated, the Astros are very committed to using our voice to create awareness and support on the issue of domestic violence. We fully support MLB and baseball's stance and values regarding domestic violence. We will continue to make this cause a priority for our organization."
   319. asinwreck Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:45 PM (#5894120)
Do MLB HR departments put employees through training on hostile work environments? I don't mean "sign this form to release us from liability if you are hostile," but real training to discuss strategies for treating those one interacts with in the workplace with respect? Seems a good idea in general, and a real good idea for the Astros if Crane and Luhnow were compelled to complete the training.
   320. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: October 24, 2019 at 05:49 PM (#5894122)
Is this the point where Quaker announces a GoFundMe to help alleviate the vile Taubman's financial hit?
   321. Howie Menckel Posted: October 24, 2019 at 07:25 PM (#5894158)
it would be such a shame if this led AJ Hinch to want to leave the Astros organization and join forces with the best man at his wedding, who was......

oh, wait, it's Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen.

too soon?
   322. JJ1986 Posted: October 24, 2019 at 07:42 PM (#5894165)
Luhnow said it was “devastating” to learn what really happened. “I wouldn’t wish it on anyone in this room, just like I wouldn’t wish it on anyone in this room to sit up here and answer these questions either.”
   323. Fancy Pants Handle struck out swinging Posted: October 24, 2019 at 07:56 PM (#5894168)
Is that real? Jesus fucking Christ on a popsicle. Throw yourself a pity party why don't you? You are not the victim here you inbred chicken mcnugget.
   324. Blastin Posted: October 24, 2019 at 08:01 PM (#5894173)
They fired him to try and exorcise the karma.

Now Trump says he's going to game 5, so...
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
tshipman
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8804 - 7:56am, Aug 08)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(9 - 7:45am, Aug 08)
Last: Dolf Lucky

NewsblogJoba Chamberlain's belongings, baseball history to be auctioned Saturday
(17 - 7:12am, Aug 08)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogFormer Angels employee Eric Kay charged with distributing fentanyl in Tyler Skaggs case
(1 - 3:52am, Aug 08)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogStarting Pitcher Workloads Have Been Significantly Reduced in 2020
(1 - 3:47am, Aug 08)

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(2 - 3:43am, Aug 08)

NewsblogEx-White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen Still Really, Really Hates ‘Fake’ Nick Swisher
(10 - 1:51am, Aug 08)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogOMNICHATTER! now accepting mail-in comments, for August 7, 2020
(14 - 1:31am, Aug 08)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(42 - 11:56pm, Aug 07)
Last: Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(16 - 9:59pm, Aug 07)
Last: Booey

NewsblogBA: Sources: MLB Views Newest Minor League Proposal As 'Major Step Backwards'
(2 - 8:22pm, Aug 07)

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers' defense could be among the best in recent memory
(5 - 7:51pm, Aug 07)
Last: Rally

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-7-2020
(7 - 6:26pm, Aug 07)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Spring 2020
(625 - 5:32pm, Aug 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogBlue Jays forced to remove pitcher who wasn't on umpires' lineup card