Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 26, 2020

Athletics’ Liam Hendriks, Brewers’ Devin Williams named 2020’s top relievers

Major League Baseball has announced the winners of the Reliever of the Year awards on Saturday ahead of Game 4 of the World Series. The Mariano Rivera American League Reliever of the Year is Liam Hendriks of the Athletics while the Trevor Hoffman National League Reliever of the Year is Devin Williams of the Brewers.

Hendriks was the runner-up in 2019 to Aroldis Chapman of the Yankees and there’s an argument he should’ve won the honor a season ago. No matter, the 2020 award is Hendriks’. He saved 14 games in 15 chances with a 1.78 ERA, 0.67 WHIP and 37 strikeouts against two unintentional walks in 25 1/3 innings, helping the A’s to the AL West title.

“Honored is an understatement,” said Hendriks. “It’s humbling to win an award that bears the name of the greatest closer in history. I’m extremely thankful to my teammates. If they weren’t behind me on the field, I wouldn’t be half the pitcher I am today. A huge thank you to the bullpen for sharing years of invaluable advice and experience with me. Thank you to the coaching staff and the entire organization for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to play in the green and gold.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 26, 2020 at 09:12 AM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: devin williams, liam hendriks

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. A triple short of the cycle Posted: October 26, 2020 at 01:27 PM (#5985478)
Hendriks is a cool dude.
   2. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: October 26, 2020 at 01:37 PM (#5985481)
Seems like forever ago that Liam Hendriks was in the Twins rotation, seemingly just another one of their myriad guys who didn't strike enough people out to stay in the rotation very long (Nick Blackburn, Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Anthony Swarzak).

The quote about "the opportunity to play in the green and gold" reminds me that Australia also plays in the green and gold.

What a career.
   3. Ken Griffey Junior Bacon Cheeseburger Posted: October 26, 2020 at 04:35 PM (#5985537)
My memory of Liam Hendriks is when he was with the 2015 Blue Jays in a box at the then-Air Canada Centre, being celebrated by the Maple Leafs for winning the division, he was wearing a Montreal Canadiens shirt.
   4. Rally Posted: October 26, 2020 at 04:42 PM (#5985540)
It amazes me that somehow he did not qualify for free agency until now. He debuted in 2011, made 28 starts for the Twins over 3 years. Went Toronto in 2014, then traded to KC, and back to the Jays for 2015. Took well to the bullpen and contributed to their playoff run. Traded to A’s in the offseason, and it takes him 5 years there to finally cross the 6 year service time level.
   5. spycake Posted: October 26, 2020 at 05:18 PM (#5985549)
It amazes me that somehow he did not qualify for free agency until now. He debuted in 2011, made 28 starts for the Twins over 3 years. Went Toronto in 2014, then traded to KC, and back to the Jays for 2015. Took well to the bullpen and contributed to their playoff run. Traded to A’s in the offseason, and it takes him 5 years there to finally cross the 6 year service time level.
Yup. Hendriks' first 4 seasons in MLB were all partial seasons -- his debut year as a September call-up plus his 3 option years -- adding up to barely over 1 year service time combined (1 year, 38 days). Then he got outrighted to AAA by Oakland in 2018 which prevented him from racking up a full season service time that year too.

So in 10 MLB seasons, he's got 5 full years, plus 5 partial seasons which add up to only 1 year, 164 days service time.
   6. Walt Davis Posted: October 26, 2020 at 05:52 PM (#5985561)
Meanwhile ... did anybody notice Devin Williams' numbers this year?

27 IP, 8 H, 53 K (that is not a typo), 9 BB, 1 ER, 1 HR ... 3 UER is the only blemish but given so few H and BB, without checking, I'm tempted to think at least 1-2 of those must have genuinely been the defense's fault.
   7. Laser Man Posted: October 26, 2020 at 06:34 PM (#5985569)
Williams' first 2 UER came after a walk and his own error, and then another reliever allowing both inherited runners to score. The third UER came after an E-6, two strikeouts, and then a single. All 3 UER were within the first 8 games of the season. He didn't allow a run of any kind after August 4th, covering 22.2 IP.
   8. puck Posted: October 27, 2020 at 12:03 AM (#5985605)
did anybody notice Devin Williams' numbers this year?

I did when this article was posted! K'd 53% of batters faced. That seems like a lot!

Though I'd be interested to see rates normalized against league average.
   9. Rally Posted: October 27, 2020 at 09:03 AM (#5985624)
Yup. Hendriks' first 4 seasons in MLB were all partial seasons -- his debut year as a September call-up plus his 3 option years -- adding up to barely over 1 year service time combined (1 year, 38 days).

Glad he got at least 1 full year of service for that time. He made 34 starts, plus 5 relief appearances for 188 innings. I suppose it's possible that he could pitch that much and get less than a year of service. Typically a starting pitcher earns at least 5 days service time for every start, but if you are in an option year and the AAA depth guy often you'll get called up, make a start, and get optioned right back.

When you are sent down that way you have to stay down 10 days unless there is an injury, but in some versions of OOTP baseball it is possible to option guys down after every start. That's a hack that could mean you get 99 starts over 3 years and your pitcher only accrues 99 days of service time.
   10. spycake Posted: October 27, 2020 at 09:45 AM (#5985634)
K'd 53% of batters faced. That seems like a lot!
According to Fangraphs, that's the all-time highest K%, minimum 20 IP. Previous high was 52.5% by Chapman in 2014, then 50.2% by Kimbrel in 2012.
   11. spycake Posted: October 27, 2020 at 09:48 AM (#5985635)
When you are sent down that way you have to stay down 10 days unless there is an injury, but in some versions of OOTP baseball it is possible to option guys down after every start. That's a hack that could mean you get 99 starts over 3 years and your pitcher only accrues 99 days of service time.
I presume OOTP doesn't have union grievances? :)
   12. Nasty Nate Posted: October 27, 2020 at 09:54 AM (#5985637)
According to Fangraphs, that's the all-time highest K%, minimum 20 IP.
If we use a 20 IP minimum, i think he had the lowest ERA ever. But that becomes less impressive the more you think about it.
   13. Rally Posted: October 27, 2020 at 10:10 AM (#5985641)
#11, maybe that will be a new feature with next spring's upgrade.

Back 30+ years ago when Microleague was my simulation engine, every now and then there was some kind of occasional software error. All of the players walked off the field towards the left field stands, while the scoreboard just repeated something like "XYZXYZ doesn't work". Not sure exactly what letters were used, it was something like that. We just figured "XYZXYZ" was the name of the player's union. Whenever it happened we just had to reboot and start that game over.
   14. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: October 27, 2020 at 01:14 PM (#5985682)
I presume OOTP doesn't have union grievances? :)

He was working on his defense. Grievance denied.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMets To Sign Trevor May
(1 - 1:45pm, Dec 02)
Last: JJ1986

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(217 - 1:43pm, Dec 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogBill James: The Biggest Problem With WAR
(108 - 1:41pm, Dec 02)
Last: Rally

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(1985 - 1:37pm, Dec 02)
Last: asinwreck

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 2020 Ballot
(6 - 1:31pm, Dec 02)
Last: Michael J. Binkley's anxiety closet

NewsblogSources: Isiah Kiner-Falefa to replace mainstay Elvis Andrus as starting Rangers shortstop next season
(17 - 1:30pm, Dec 02)
Last: Mike Webber

NewsblogLet’s Fix MLB’s Salary Arbitration System: The Arbitrators
(8 - 1:16pm, Dec 02)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogIs the Hall leaving out too many players?
(83 - 1:05pm, Dec 02)
Last: Rally

NewsblogSt. Paul Saints to become Twins' top minor-league team; Class AA in Wichita
(8 - 12:42pm, Dec 02)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10679 - 12:41pm, Dec 02)
Last: Biscuit_pants

NewsblogA push to recognize the statistics of Black players from baseball’s era of apartheid
(43 - 11:10am, Dec 02)
Last: Mike Webber

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-2-2020
(1 - 10:41am, Dec 02)
Last: Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee)

NewsblogTwins place Eddie Rosario on outright waivers
(7 - 9:55am, Dec 02)
Last: The Duke

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 2020 Discussion
(19 - 9:45am, Dec 02)
Last: DL from MN

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion