Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 29, 2020

Aubrey Huff Says He Would Rather Die From Coronavirus Than Wear a Mask

“It’s not healthy to breathe in your own CO2 all the time and it seems like everyone is a coronavirus expert. If I God forbid get the coronavirus, here’s what I do: I go home, I get well and I get back and live my life. I would rather die from coronavirus than live the rest of my life in fear and wear a mask.”

Huff is not new to controversial comments.

NattyBoh Posted: June 29, 2020 at 09:34 AM | 138 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: aubrey huff, covid-19, masks

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. frannyzoo Posted: June 30, 2020 at 05:33 PM (#5960459)
Just to flip,

"I see people wearing masks on bike rides, in their cars, in their own backyard. None of that make sense to me." Post #79

I'm gonna guess that pretty much nothing I do makes sense to the poster in #79. I'm good with that.

102. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: June 30, 2020 at 05:47 PM (#5960461)
So I think the picture posting would be the virtue signalling in this argument, then.
Why the #### does anyone care about whether or not it's "virtue signaling" (another all-purpose "boogeyman" word) if it helps to normalize a behavior that we in fact need more of, and would be better if people erred on the side of doing more than they need to rather than the bare minimum they think they can "get away with"?

[Note: I know why (ironically, it's pretty similar to "virtue signaling"). That's 100% rhetorical.]
   103. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 30, 2020 at 06:31 PM (#5960467)
The science in mask-wearing is remarkably thin.

If words are the obstacle, try the photos in 73

But I’ve noticed they are coming in closer to my table than when they weren’t wearing them.

and people coming closer to tigers when they're in cages; it's like there's some sort of barrier, but I haven't seen any science on it.
   104. The Duke Posted: June 30, 2020 at 09:21 PM (#5960492)
95. I don’t have disdain for people wearing masks in situations where a mask is not called for but given the discomfort and annoyance, I can’t imagine why you would do it.

In public situations it’s still unclear how much transmission is happening via aerosol vs touching a surface and then touching your mouth/nose so wearing a mask makes sense but if we are all at risk from air coming into our car window/AC or while we are raking leaves or from briefly passing someone on a bike path, then we are all doomed. It’s clearly not THAT infectious or we would all have it already.

I think mostly people are desperate for some measure of control and that’s ok too. The crazy doctors should have picked another activity like wearing more formal clothes, hair dye or linking tattoos to covid. Then at least the activity would have more Societal benefit. Imagine the public good that would come from ending tatoos or no more purple hair. A lost opportunity.

105. JJ1986 Posted: June 30, 2020 at 09:23 PM (#5960493)
Imagine the public good that would come from ending tatoos or no more purple hair.
Come on.
   106. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 30, 2020 at 09:54 PM (#5960500)
"Imagine the public good that would come from ending tatoos or no more purple hair."

Come on.

When no one's on yr lawn, ya gotta put them there so ya got something to yell about.
   107. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 30, 2020 at 10:56 PM (#5960505)
"Imagine the public good that would come from ending tatoos or no more purple hair."
This is the most OK BOOMER thing I've seen in quite a while, and that's saying a lot.
   108. BrianBrianson Posted: July 01, 2020 at 12:47 AM (#5960511)
I admit that I'm not an expert on the science.

It is true that you can't do grade 7 style control experiments where you randomly assign people to wear masks or not. When you do science on humans, you typically need to ask some review board to approve your experiment. If the you fill in the box that asks "Ho many humans is this going to kill?" with "A lot, but we're not sure exactly how many", you don't get approved.

This does make it trickier to get clear numbers. I don't think I've seen anyone try to do masks specifically, which might be exceedingly tough to tease out of the data (I don't think there were many wear masks orders, so getting clear data on that might be tough - but maybe not impossible, I think Czechia and Austria had wear mask orders, though that's not a lot of data points).

It certainly looks like, from Europe as we re-open, that social distancing/masks/gobs of hand soap does significantly reduce the transmission, but ... nobody's keen to do a control experiment of "Hey, let's stop wearing masks and see how many more people die!"

But ... maybe y'all need more comfortable masks. Unless I'm engaging in at least moderate physical activity, I don't get glasses fogging, and otherwise my mask is terribly comfortable.
   109. jmurph Posted: July 01, 2020 at 09:32 AM (#5960529)
Why the #### does anyone care about whether or not it's "virtue signaling" (another all-purpose "boogeyman" word) if it helps to normalize a behavior that we in fact need more of, and would be better if people erred on the side of doing more than they need to rather than the bare minimum they think they can "get away with"?

You quoted me but I hope it's clear from my posts that I agree with you. I was disagreeing with the guy who made the original "virtue signalling" post.
   110. frannyzoo Posted: July 01, 2020 at 11:52 AM (#5960541)
"Virtue signaling" = "Modeling good behavior I disagree with because I am an a*shole"
   111. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 01, 2020 at 12:05 PM (#5960542)
I'm gonna guess that pretty much nothing I do makes sense to the poster in #79. I'm good with that.
I'm curious, could you explain your thinking? Are you with other people in your car, when cycling, or in the backyard? My understanding is that if socially distanced, those situations don't present a risk of transmission -- but I would want to adjust my behaviour if that's not the case.
   112. frannyzoo Posted: July 01, 2020 at 12:16 PM (#5960543)
#111: Car, because it's too much hassle with the glasses on/off, on/off (especially because I wear those "chums" that keep one's glasses from sliding off..which reminds me of the "Opti-grab" in "The Jerk," but I digress, RIP Carl Reiner).

Cycling: You're in public. Wear a damn mask.

Backyard: I don't wear a mask in the backyard. We're pretty far from the nearest neighbor.

The cycling is the main thing in terms of what I'm doing v. most others. I'd say it's about 15-20% on our most popular bike trail. I understand the possibility of transmission is very low, but it still does exist, and don't others deserve the courtesy even at a low rate of possibility? YMMV, to say the least.
   113. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: July 01, 2020 at 12:20 PM (#5960544)
This is the most OK BOOMER thing I've seen in quite a while, and that's saying a lot.
We all see it.

(@jmurph #109, yes totally understood that.)
   114. Jay Z Posted: July 01, 2020 at 01:04 PM (#5960553)
Cycling: You're in public. Wear a damn mask.

Work on your tact.

I wear a mask, and I am put off by this. I did not wear a mask on my bike ride last night, where I encountered maybe 10 people in a 15 mile ride. But yeah, wear a damn mask. I don't linger in stores, wear a mask in them, try to avoid them, try to avoid contact. But yeah, wear a damn mask. If I'm put off, others are going to be to, and you're not going to get the behavior you are seeking.
   115. Belfry Bob Posted: July 01, 2020 at 01:31 PM (#5960561)
"I would rather die from coronavirus than live the rest of my life in fear and wear a mask.”

"Then you had better do it, and decrease the surplus population." - E. Scrooge.
   116. Karl from NY Posted: July 01, 2020 at 02:32 PM (#5960572)
I understand the possibility of transmission is very low,

The possibility of injuring a pedestrian in a collision is also very low but exists. Unless you give up biking for that possibility, you don't get to demand I give up biking for not masking.
   117. frannyzoo Posted: July 01, 2020 at 04:19 PM (#5960605)
I'm not demanding anything. I'm just saying wear the damn mask. Or as the road signs said in my home state of Texas way back when: Drive Friendly

P.S.: A bit of googling tells me that "Drive Friendly" is still a Texas roadway slogan. I was unaware as I haven't been back there for decades. Because Texas.
   118. Dr. Vaux Posted: July 01, 2020 at 04:42 PM (#5960613)
Mayland used to say "Please drive gently," which always seemed funny to me. How would one go about driving gently?
   119. Greg K Posted: July 01, 2020 at 04:43 PM (#5960614)
In Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has recommended everyone where a mask so they can avoid driving moistly.
   120. RJ in TO Posted: July 01, 2020 at 05:20 PM (#5960622)
Mayland used to say "Please drive gently," which always seemed funny to me. How would one go about driving gently?
Slow acceleration, slow braking, don't rush the turns. This isn't exactly rocket science.
   121. Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew Posted: July 01, 2020 at 05:36 PM (#5960624)
My nephew's FB profile page has a picture from Vallejo, CA (home of CC Sabathia) that says "Please drive SLOWLY AND MAJESTICALLY". I kid you not. It's ####### great.
   122. Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew Posted: July 01, 2020 at 05:42 PM (#5960625)
   123. frannyzoo Posted: July 01, 2020 at 05:45 PM (#5960626)
As a cyclist, I propose the country spend Eleventy-Zillion dollars on "Majestically" signs in every hill and dale in the country. That really is great.
   124. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 01, 2020 at 05:50 PM (#5960628)
Sure, is, frannyzoo, and every time I see one, I mutter, friendlily, damnit, it's an adverb.
   125. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 01, 2020 at 06:16 PM (#5960630)
Lt Gov Dan Patrick has a Newslwetter Aubrey Huff wants to subscribe to:

Despite Texas’ surge of new COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Tuesday evening that he doesn’t need the advice of the nation’s top infectious disease doctor, Anthony Fauci.

“Fauci said today he’s concerned about states like Texas that ‘skipped over’ certain things. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Patrick told Fox News host Laura Ingraham in an interview. “We haven’t skipped over anything. The only thing I’m skipping over is listening to him.”
   126. Dr. Vaux Posted: July 01, 2020 at 06:21 PM (#5960631)
I was thinking of it with respect to the road. Are those things better for the road? (Maybe they are; I don't know anything about roads.)
   127. Howie Menckel Posted: July 01, 2020 at 06:28 PM (#5960632)
A bit of googling tells me that "Drive Friendly" is still a Texas roadway slogan.

in Jersey the motto on the highway signage is: "GET OUT OF MY ####### WAY!"
   128. Ron J Posted: July 01, 2020 at 06:48 PM (#5960636)
Been re-reading Joe Abercrombie recently. Friendly has a different association.
   129. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 02, 2020 at 09:09 AM (#5960672)
frannyzoo -- have you considered attaching a face shield or visor to your bike helmet? Not sure about the aerodynamics, but would make communicating with anyone who's hearing impaired a bit easier.
   130. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 02, 2020 at 10:08 AM (#5960678)
I wear a mask while bicycling in the city. It’s not any harder than cycling without a mask, in my experience. If I was on a deserted mountain road I wouldn’t wear one (actually I did some cycling upstate and did not wear a mask there...but I also was the only cyclist on the road.

I wore a mask while running yesterday because I was out at a time when the path was crowded, and most other people were not wearing them. It was an Adidas mask that breathes ok, although it was still a bit harder than running with a mask. I ordered it online and received it within 2 days, in case anyone else is looking for a good mask to run with.

If I run at a time/location when few people are out, I just carry the mask and put it on or hold it over my face as I approach/pass other people.

I always wear one when walking around outside in the city. I know the risk of infection simply walking outside is low, but it’s required here, and I think it helps encourage other people to wear theirs when they see a lot of people wearing them.
   131. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 02, 2020 at 12:03 PM (#5960708)
I wear a mask any time I am indoors with people not in my family pod. Outdoors I keep distance, but otherwise, I don't. If I was outdoors and in a crowd of people (not sure that I would be in that situation, but if it happened) I would wear a mask.

But walking the dog and disc golfing (basically the only two times I am outside for any length of time) there is not much need.

However, what I really came here to say is that I laugh every time I read the article headline and think to myself "That is not my choice, but OK, I guess."
   132. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 02, 2020 at 12:19 PM (#5960711)
I wear a mask any time I am indoors with people not in my family pod. Outdoors I keep distance, but otherwise, I don't. If I was outdoors and in a crowd of people (not sure that I would be in that situation, but if it happened) I would wear a mask.

This is basically where I am. I wear a mask anytime I'm indoors any place other than my own house. I went to an outdoor farmer's market last week, and wore a mask there. But if I go out running in my neighborhood, I don't wear a mask. I almost never get any closer to another person than "across the street," and it's hard enough to breathe here in Colorado under ideal circumstances.
   133. sardonic Posted: July 02, 2020 at 12:21 PM (#5960712)
Aubrey Huff: I would rather die driving drunk in a car accident than call an Uber.
Aubrey Huff: I would rather die in a house fire than install a smoke detector.
Aubrey Huff: I would rather die of lung cancer than stop smoking in public.
   134. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 02, 2020 at 12:22 PM (#5960713)
I wear a mask while bicycling in the city.

If you're on a street traversed by buses or trucks, it's a wise choice at all times.
   135. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 02, 2020 at 02:07 PM (#5960735)
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick

Why do I recognize that name?

Oh, right!
   136. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 02, 2020 at 02:18 PM (#5960739)
I wear a mask anytime I'm indoors any place other than my own house. I went to an outdoor farmer's market last week, and wore a mask there. But if I go out running in my neighborhood, I don't wear a mask. I almost never get any closer to another person than "across the street,"

That's how it is for me, too.

I wear a mask in stores (if I have to go in) or when I grab curbside pickup for groceries. If I remember, I'll wear latex gloves as well. When people drop off items at our door, we wait for them to get back to the sidewalk before opening our door to retrieve the item.

When I had to go into the office for a laptop fix, I wore a mask the entire time I was in the office (about 3 hours).

Handwashing is something my whole family does as instinct now whenever we come in from the outside (or pick up something from the stoop), even if we didn't touch anything or see anyone. We also let mail/deliveries sit for 48 hours before opening (after getting a wipe down with a clorox wipe), and food gets transferred from the delivery containers to plates (with handwashing and disposal of containers soon after.

Our family goes on a 3.5km walk every day at dusk, and we will cross the street or walk on the side of the road whenever we come across anyone else on our path on the sidewalks. It's not a busy suburb, but we'll pass 10-20 people every walk. We don't wear a mask during this time.
If we were walking on a busy street with limited passing/movement options, I'd probably wear a mask.

These aren't draconian steps to take, and the "infringement" on my liberty is minimal.

And this is while living in a province with about 1 new case per 100k people every day (for the last 3 days), and a county of 500,000 people with a total of 17 active cases right now.
The numbers are ridiculously low for my area, but I want to keep them that way.

137. Jay Z Posted: July 02, 2020 at 03:07 PM (#5960746)
If it is about exercising on a busy urban path, I'd go at less busy times or a less busy way over wearing a mask. Mask is a supplement only. I wear a mask in stores, but have thought about and still think about number of trips, time spent, and importance.

Went out last night, masks outside were 5% at best. Not really something where you are going to have hectoring success at this point.
   138. frannyzoo Posted: July 02, 2020 at 04:24 PM (#5960770)
Sorry I've getting back to the thread late, after a bike ride. There was a question #129 about cycling with a faceguard v. some form of mask, and as my rides are almost all solo, communication beyond the bell isn't needed. Thinking more about it, the only time I'm in public these days, grocery store every 10 days aside, is riding my bike. Given the exponential spike in cases in neighboring states (thanks Texas Lt. Gov #######!), we New Mexicans are gonna have to hunker down once again. Hopefully not to the point of the very early days; remember the arguments that maybe we shouldn't ride our bikes because if we crash it might use up absolutely essential ICU space? I'd prefer it not get that bad again.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.