Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, August 09, 2020

BA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall

Sub. required.

Minor League Baseball players who were scheduled to be free agents at the end of the 2020 season have been told they will be eligible for free agency this fall.

The Major League Baseball Players Association has informed agents that non-40-man players will be eligible for free agency even though there was no 2020 MiLB season.

Because of the wording of how players become eligible for MiLB free agency, that was not a certainty. MiLB free agency requires players to provide “skilled services as a Minor League Player in seven (7) separate championship playing seasons” as part of their initial contract.

There was no 2020 MiLB season, so a legal argument could have been constructed that there was no championship season, which would mean that all players who came into the season with six years of minor league service time compiled would have to wait until after the 2021 season to reach free agency.

But for minor league free agency, players are being treated as if the season did take place. Players who were on the restricted list, inactive list or did not report to spring training will not be credited with the year.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 09, 2020 at 10:56 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor league free agency

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: August 09, 2020 at 04:55 PM (#5968651)
Can we PLEASE stop linking to articles behind paywalls? Pretty please...?!
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 09, 2020 at 05:20 PM (#5968659)
Why?
   3. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 09, 2020 at 06:48 PM (#5968668)
The compromise might be to not link to articles behind paywalls when there is comparable coverage freely available elsewhere.
   4. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 09, 2020 at 06:57 PM (#5968669)
That has generally been what I have done, but BA covers the baseball industry in a way others don't. I try to avoid paywalls as much as possible, but I think there are some things worth discussing that happen to be behind a paywall.
   5. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 09, 2020 at 08:06 PM (#5968683)
That has generally been what I have done, but BA covers the baseball industry in a way others don't. I try to avoid paywalls as much as possible, but I think there are some things worth discussing that happen to be behind a paywall.
agreed.

news aggregators have value, but it's important to support the people and organizations that actually do the reporting legwork, unless you want them to #fakenews disappear.
   6. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: August 09, 2020 at 08:15 PM (#5968684)
4--Agreed
   7. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: August 09, 2020 at 09:07 PM (#5968696)
And re: the content -

Minor league free agents are mostly non-entities. This is totally not a big deal.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn)
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(92 - 1:17pm, Oct 28)
Last: Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus

NewsblogAre analytics to blame for Rays’ Kevin Cash pulling Blake Snell too early from Game 6 of 2020 World Series?
(31 - 1:16pm, Oct 28)
Last: I am Ted F'ing Williams

NewsblogPadres’ Luis Campusano charged with felony marijuana possession in Georgia
(22 - 1:16pm, Oct 28)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogChamps! The best Dodgers team ever ends L.A.'s 32-year title drought | ESPN
(30 - 1:03pm, Oct 28)
Last: Busted Flush

NewsblogRob Manfred booed while presenting World Series trophy to Dodgers; fans confused by speech
(10 - 12:51pm, Oct 28)
Last: Boxkutter

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-28-2020
(2 - 12:37pm, Oct 28)
Last: The Mighty Quintana

NewsblogJustin Turner of Los Angeles Dodgers pulled from World Series after positive COVID-19 test
(30 - 12:17pm, Oct 28)
Last: .

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10184 - 11:56am, Oct 28)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogHow Wrigley Field got lights, night games in 1988 | MLB.com
(11 - 11:23am, Oct 28)
Last: Meatwad

NewsblogWORLD SERIES 2020 OMNICHATTER!
(833 - 11:18am, Oct 28)
Last: bunyon

Newsblog‘Home, home, home!’ How Dodgers foiled Manuel Margot’s stealing home gamble
(32 - 8:45am, Oct 28)
Last: TJ

NewsblogSpokesperson: Mayor Bill de Blasio still 'evaluating' Mets sale to Steve Cohen
(22 - 8:42am, Oct 28)
Last: Adam Starblind

NewsblogClayton Kershaw repairs his playoff legacy with Game 5 win
(16 - 3:14am, Oct 28)
Last: Moeball

NewsblogCardinals should extend Molina, but ask him to waive his Instagram account
(34 - 1:40am, Oct 28)
Last: bjhanke

NewsblogJeff Bagwell Talks About Being an Alcoholic For the First Time
(12 - 1:30am, Oct 28)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

Page rendered in 0.2539 seconds
48 querie(s) executed