Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Baseball Question of the Day: What’s the coolest thing you have ever seen at a ballpark?

Today’s baseball question requires an in-person experience: what’s the coolest thing you have ever seen at a ballpark?

Most of us have seen historic moments or a thrilling deciding game of a playoff series on TV, but we’re all far more limited in the neat stuff we’ve seen first-hand.

Which means it might lead to weird answers. For example, I’ve never seen a no-hitter in person, but I have seen a drunk guy take his shirt off and start singing the National Anthem . . . in the fourth inning. Folks, Tiger Stadium was LIT in the 1980s.

So, what’s your answer?

QLE Posted: March 26, 2020 at 12:53 AM | 105 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ballparks, cool

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. SoSH U at work Posted: March 28, 2020 at 02:19 PM (#5934474)
I remember being ahead of my time in explaining to her how critical it was to the Mets' chances in the 9th for the first batter to get on base. with 2 outs and nobody on, I told her that all was nearly lost.

You really were ahead of your time. By a full inning.

102. Howie Menckel Posted: March 28, 2020 at 03:51 PM (#5934501)
hah, yes!
hey, I was distracted at the time
   103. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 28, 2020 at 04:57 PM (#5934534)
Easy....David Justice vs. Arthur Rhodes, 2000 ALCS Game 6, three run homer in the bottom of the 7th to put the Yankees in front and bring the Subway Series to the cusp of reality. I thought the upper deck was gonna fall down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_lRYMGF3Y
   104. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 28, 2020 at 07:44 PM (#5934590)
Watching Mickey Mantle hit two home runs over my head and over the CF wall in Griffith Stadium on opening day 1956, which made for 40% of the times that a ball had been hit over that wall in the 51 year history of the ballpark. Those two monster blasts launched what was to be his triple crown season.

That's really cool! For some reason the Yankees' "tape-measure" guy didn't offer numbers for those, only that the 1st was longer than the 2nd.

Since they were both over the wall and landed in a tree, it wasn't easy to measure them precisely. But it was a 30' high wall that was 438' from the plate, so that should give you an idea of the distance.

If I'd been born a year earlier, I also would've seen Mantle's more famous 565' shot over Griffith Stadium's LF bleachers. It was Safety Patrol Day, but since I was only then in 3rd grade, I wasn't eligible to be a patrol, and so I was stuck in class.

I did, however, get to go to Safety Patrol Day the next year. The highlight of that game was Roy Sievers getting hit in the head with a fly ball that he lost in the sun, letting in the deciding run in a 3-2 game. Not quite up there on the thrill chart with that moon shot of the year before.

105. pikepredator Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:30 AM (#5934703)
#2: Saw the Sox beat the Yanks in Yankee Stadium, 11-0, with a group of friends, mixed sox and yanks fans. They knocked Clemens off the mound in the top of the 4th. I got an action shot of Nomar hitting his 2-run HR - the only pic I took all game. My friend actually asked me "are you getting ready to take a picture of Nomar's 2-run HR?" Wakefield pitched for the sox and his knuckler was brutal.

#1: A friend of mine surprised me with a ticket to the David Ortiz Jersey Retirement game. The celebration was way cooler than I even expected, seeing so many Sox legends from my youth come out on the field. Sox won, and it was nice to see Pujols in a live game, too. Only bummer was that Trout was on the DL.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.