Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Baseball Reliquary: 2020 Hilda Award Recipient: Jeff Boujoukos

Jeff began by collecting the players he knew and, after finding those, he decided to set a goal of collecting a game-used bat of each Red Sox non-pitcher who had an at-bat for the Sox from 1960 to the present. Why 1960? Because that was the last year for Ted Williams, and 1961 would be the first year for Carl Yastrzemski, his favorite player. “It was an undertaking that I frankly never thought I would complete and as of today amounts to over 525 different players,” Jeff remarked. “With the advent of eBay and networking with a number of fantastic collectors, and with the support of players, I have been able to collect a bat from every player except one, Ken Poulsen.” The bats can be viewed on Jeff’s Boston Game Used Web site.

Collecting things of one sort or another never appealed to me, but the commitment necessary and the ancillary benefits are often, like here, fun and admirable.

Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: May 27, 2020 at 10:39 AM | 0 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: collecting, red sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (CTL)
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOakland Athletics OF Ramon Laureano charges Houston Astros dugout, sparks brawl
(14 - 1:06am, Aug 10)
Last: Astroenteritis

NewsblogRules for pitcher feats in 7-inning twin bills
(16 - 12:44am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8859 - 12:21am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogYankees' Aaron Boone argues with umpires about air horn being blown outside Phillies' ballpark
(1 - 11:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOff the glove and over the fence! Texas Rangers’ Nick Solak homers in unique fashion.
(7 - 10:05pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER! for August 8-9, 2010
(45 - 9:23pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(343 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: kcgard2

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(10 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(43 - 9:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogBA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall
(7 - 9:07pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(6 - 9:03pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(17 - 8:44pm, Aug 09)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogWhy MLB didn't use bubble plan for 2020 regular season; and what league insiders think of the decision
(7 - 8:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogChris Iannetta retires after Yankees send catcher to alternate site
(4 - 6:00pm, Aug 09)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(86 - 5:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.2243 seconds
46 querie(s) executed