Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Bill James: Why We Need Runs Saved Against Zero

Absolute values, measured from zero up, create structure to our thought.  Absolute values make analysis possible.  Without reference points, it is very, very difficult to create a map, because every little error magnifies itself over space, creating an uncertain relationship between distant points.  “Surveying” is a matter of accurate measurement, yes, but it is also a system of creating multiple reference points.  Every map starts with a zero point; you don’t know what it is, but the guy who created the map does.  (For Google Earth, by the way, the zero point is in Lawrence, Kansas.  Really.)

I understand, of course, why fielding is difficult to measure in absolute terms.  It is difficult to measure in all sports.  Offense is measured from the ground up.  Defense is measured from the sky down.  How tall is Charlie, measuring down from the sky?  It’s a hard problem.

But the lack of a zero point, in measuring fielding, creates chaos in our ability to analyze fielding.  It creates just as much confusion in measuring fielding as it would in measuring income, or in creating a map.  And, because we have been measuring fielding in this odd way, there are lots and lots and lots of things about fielding that we SHOULD know, but we just have no way of knowing.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 23, 2020 at 01:00 PM | 202 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bill james

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. SoSH U at work Posted: July 18, 2020 at 01:03 AM (#5963821)

I don’t think Trammell could have played 1B as well as Keith, nor that Keith could play short as well as Alan.

I also don't think Trammell could have played first as well as Keith. And there's simply no way Keith could have played short as well as Tram.

As Howie alludes to, Hernandez took full advantage of the inherent advantage a lefthander has at first. Trammell could not have made many of those throws to second or third that Keith did.
   202. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 18, 2020 at 05:50 PM (#5963921)
that's a real good pt. The RH throwing to second base in this case is going to be a little harder.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogCardinals starter Dakota Hudson to undergo Tommy John surgery
(3 - 11:21pm, Sep 27)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogRon Roenicke let go as Boston Red Sox manager; team will begin search immediately
(7 - 11:14pm, Sep 27)
Last: Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3141 - 11:00pm, Sep 27)
Last: tshipman

NewsblogFinal Weekend OMNICHATTER, for Sept. 26-27, 2020
(57 - 10:57pm, Sep 27)
Last: Crispix Attacksel Rios

NewsblogLos Angeles Angels fire GM Billy Eppler after five seasons
(6 - 10:56pm, Sep 27)
Last: Bhaakon

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Brave New World
(227 - 10:38pm, Sep 27)
Last: MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB).

NewsblogFormer San Francisco Giants OF Hunter Pence announces retirement, ending 14-year MLB career
(13 - 10:00pm, Sep 27)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogYadier Molina collects career hit number 2,000 Thursday night
(43 - 9:19pm, Sep 27)
Last: baxter

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1931 Ballot
(5 - 6:14pm, Sep 27)
Last: MrC.

NewsblogOT - August/September 2020 College Football thread
(76 - 4:50pm, Sep 27)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9747 - 3:12pm, Sep 27)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogWaPo: If baseball keeps these grotesque expanded playoffs, it will have lost its soul
(31 - 1:25pm, Sep 27)
Last: Dale Sams

NewsblogDodgers' Mookie Betts unseats Yankees' Aaron Judge for MLB's top jersey
(12 - 11:11am, Sep 27)
Last: bfan

NewsblogThom Brennaman resigns as Reds broadcaster
(42 - 9:41pm, Sep 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogTrevor Bauer Should Just Admit It
(17 - 6:21pm, Sep 26)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

Page rendered in 0.2491 seconds