Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 23, 2021

Blue Jays to require proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test for fans, staff

With an eye in part to increasing capacity at Rogers Centre, the Jays are announcing Monday that proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative test result will be required fans hoping to attend the final 12 games of the season.

Looking to create a safer experience for spectators — while also urging the government to bump the current limit of fans at the dome from 15,000 — the new measures will come into effect for the final two homestands of the regular season.

The measures will also apply to team and stadium staff.

Fans aged 11 and under just need to be accompanied by a parent/guardian who adheres to the policy.

“I would hope that we’re able to increase capacity as soon as it’s safe to do so,” Anuk Karunaratne, the Jays vice-president of business operations, said in an interview with the Toronto Sun. “That’s going to ultimately get determined by public health boards provincially and municipally. My hope is that it would be sooner rather than later.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 23, 2021 at 10:29 AM | 107 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: blue jays, coronavirus, covid-19, vaccines

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Eddo Posted: August 25, 2021 at 08:29 PM (#6036356)
It’s important to understand that Karl isn’t saying in August 2021, “I’ve been in isolation for more than 18 months. This is terrible.” (Of course, that would be impossible to say, because our quasi-lockdowns ended a long time ago.) He was saying this way back in May 2020. Millions unemployed, around a hundred thousand dead, and his gripe was that he was bored because he had missed a few weeks of hanging out with his friends.

Oh, I totally understand that point, and agree with you. I'm just saying it's not for you or I to judge what's important to someone else. Friends and socials groups can be as important as family to some people.
   102. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 26, 2021 at 07:31 AM (#6036463)
Oh, I totally understand that point, and agree with you. I'm just saying it's not for you or I to judge what's important to someone else. Friends and socials groups can be as important as family to some people.

To a point. If their "important" causes them to act against public health I get to judge. If their irrationality against vaccination, masking, and such other actions with trivial costs helps spread the disease then I get to judge.

His whining about a social life is valid. His complaints about vaccination and masking are not.
   103. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: August 26, 2021 at 08:48 AM (#6036468)
Competitive tabletop gaming doesn't at all, you need to see and pass around and shuffle far more components and game state.

Tabletop Simulator works OK for many use cases. It's not perfect, but it's better than possibly accidentally sending a friend or one of their relatives to the ICU during a pandemic. I finally managed to beat my younger brother in a game of The Duke he other day using their implementation.

I think the hollowness of the rest of your arguments was already thoroughly demonstrated on the main Covid threads last year, but it's disappointing to see you haven't learned from them.
   104. Eddo Posted: August 26, 2021 at 09:06 AM (#6036469)
His whining about a social life is valid. His complaints about vaccination and masking are not.

Yes, exactly. You put this better than I did.
   105. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: August 26, 2021 at 12:08 PM (#6036508)
I’m sure your mother’s basement has other activities you can do.

Even if my parents' house had a basement (we don't have them here in Southern California), I would probably not spend much time there, since I live with my wife and three sons in our own house. Playing boardgames with friends is one of the two things I do with people to unwind (the other being recreational sports, which were also shut down for a year and a half). I live a blessed life, so not being able to do that is far less of a burden than many, many others endured and continue to endure. But it weighed on me. Maybe that's not compelling to you, but I figured I should explain.
   106. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM (#6036514)
I was just recycling a joke. My objection is not to the fact that you or Karl enjoy gaming with friends, or that you regret not having been able to do it. My objection was to Karl (not you) whining that this was a greater tragedy than others had to endure. Everyone had to give up leisure activities, and some had to give up much more.

And as BM alludes to above, for some inexplicable reason Karl is now whining about the things being done to end covid restrictions. He doesn't want things to be shut down but he also doesn't want vaccination so that things don't need to be shut down.
   107. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: August 26, 2021 at 02:08 PM (#6036538)
Ah, ok, I understand. I am all for vaccinations and masks to get this thing over with. And I fully recognize that giving up game nights (or restructuring them to work remotely), while frustrating and disappointing, is still nothing compared to losing jobs and loved ones and everything else people have had to endure.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(3738 - 11:10am, Jul 02)
Last: Your favorite TFTIO, me!

NewsblogNation Unable To Enjoy Baseball Without Dozens Of Pitchers Hitting .124
(1 - 11:05am, Jul 02)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogRosenthal: Fernando Tatis Jr. open to position change? Plus MLB trade notes - The Athletic $
(1 - 10:39am, Jul 02)
Last: Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network)

NewsblogNationals burned by quirky 'fourth-out rule' as Pirates score despite lining into inning-ending double play
(59 - 9:57am, Jul 02)
Last: Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome

NewsblogYankees looking for OF help with Aaron Hicks, Joey Gallo struggling
(15 - 9:49am, Jul 02)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogIndependence Day Weekend OMNICHATTER, for July 1-4, 2022
(16 - 9:34am, Jul 02)
Last: Dillon Gee Escape Plan

NewsblogOutfielder Austin Hays becomes sixth player in Baltimore Orioles history to hit for cycle
(3 - 2:04am, Jul 02)
Last: FernandoPoplar

NewsblogWhy Juan Soto’s Reported Extension Offer Is Not As Outlandish As It Might Seem
(20 - 11:54pm, Jul 01)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogWhen do the Tigers and Royals have to admit that 'rebuilding' has turned into plain old losing?
(22 - 9:37pm, Jul 01)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogRanking the home uniforms of all 30 MLB teams
(24 - 9:29pm, Jul 01)
Last: Joey Joe Joe Junior Felix Jose Cruz Junior

Sox TherapyHey Now
(15 - 9:06pm, Jul 01)
Last: Jose is Absurdly Correct but not Helpful

NewsblogBoston media explodes after Red Sox blow it without unvaccinated closer Houck
(91 - 7:53pm, Jul 01)
Last: Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant

NewsblogRob Manfred wants you to know: He doesn't hate baseball, he wants to save it
(46 - 7:35pm, Jul 01)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

Sox TherapyNow That's A Road Trip
(46 - 7:15pm, Jul 01)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for Thursday, June 30, 2022
(16 - 4:47pm, Jul 01)
Last: Textbook Editor

Page rendered in 0.2546 seconds
45 querie(s) executed