Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 11, 2020

Bowden: How each National League team would fare with a universal DH for 2020 – The Athletic

Team by team looks, starting with the D’Backs.

Arizona Diamondbacks
The Diamondbacks have good competition at first base with Christian Walker coming off his best year after slashing .259/.348/.476 with 29 home runs and 73 RBIs that led to a 3.0 WAR and 111 OPS+. Jake Lamb is finally healthy and the left-handed hitter is looking to get back to his 2016-17 form where he averaged 29.5 home runs and 98 runs batted in. However, add the DH rule and suddenly both players have spots in the D-Backs’ lineup and the lineup gets lengthened instantly with better left-right hitting balance.

Jim Furtado Posted: May 11, 2020 at 09:26 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: 2020 season, pay site

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. puck Posted: May 11, 2020 at 10:57 AM (#5949351)
Gosh, should I even bother thinking about this? The prospect even of an all-DH season seems like a tease.

The Rockies have a glut of competition right now at first base, second base and left field with Daniel Murphy and Ryan McMahon fighting for the first base gig; Garrett Hampson, Brendan Rodgers and McMahon competing at second base; and Ian Desmond, Sam Hilliard and Raimel Tapia all grinding it out for the left field at-bats.

No, better not think about it.

In the BB-ref OOTP simmed season, for some reason Garrett Hampson is getting lots of PT and Ryan McMahon is coming off the bench. But Desmond is sitting, which indicates the robo manager is not Bud Black.
   2. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: May 11, 2020 at 12:49 PM (#5949380)
This would actually be helpful for the Mets. They have a glut of corner guys and having a DH spot would let them get some more playing time. Ideally, Dominic Smith and Alonso split time at DH and 1B, and Smith does well enough that he builds value. But the Mets have a lot of options to DH.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 11, 2020 at 01:06 PM (#5949390)
   4. Rally Posted: May 11, 2020 at 01:24 PM (#5949411)
Mets sure do. Looking at the bbref simulation, they can't find playing time for Cano, Lowrie, Smith, and J.D. Davis. Plus the simulation hasn't used Cespedes at all.

In real life, a bunch of those guys and the ones in the starting lineup will get hurt, making it very easy to find playing time for any healthy player, but on paper they sure look to have DH options.
   5. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 11, 2020 at 02:28 PM (#5949444)
The Fangraphs article linked in #3 lists Eric Thames & Howie Kendrick for the Washington Nationals, but a best-case scenario might have Ryan Zimmerman in the mix - hitting well enough that you want him in the line-up as much as possible, but not risking injury in the field everyday.
   6. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: May 11, 2020 at 03:30 PM (#5949466)
As a Mets fan, I encourage the Nats to play Zimmerman over Thames as much as possible against RHPs.
   7. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: May 11, 2020 at 03:52 PM (#5949471)
Well, between this bullshit and the draft #######, there goes my last bits of residual enthusiasm for the upcoming season.
   8. Walt Davis Posted: May 11, 2020 at 06:35 PM (#5949519)
This won't help the Cubs. We can't scrape together 8 ML-quality bats, adding a 9th is clearly beyond us. Sure it will be nice to get Schwarber out of the field (and give Contreras a few days off at DH) but that's to get the bats of Happ, Almora and Souza into the lineup more often.

Off the top of my head, I agree it seems to most benefit the Mets and the Dodgers and it at least gives the Nats a reason to carry all three of Thames, Kendrick and Zimmermann. Helps the Giants with their Posey problem if Bart is actually ready (I have my doubts). The Cards might wish they had Jose Martinez back but it will give them a chance to sort through their OF options.
   9. Adam Starblind Posted: May 12, 2020 at 07:42 AM (#5949653)
I hope this sticks. There, I said it.
   10. djordan Posted: May 12, 2020 at 02:08 PM (#5949769)
As a baseball fan, I'm against the DH. As a Mets fan, it sure solves a lot of issues.
   11. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: May 12, 2020 at 02:44 PM (#5949785)
This won't help the Cubs. We can't scrape together 8 ML-quality bats, adding a 9th is clearly beyond us. Sure it will be nice to get Schwarber out of the field (and give Contreras a few days off at DH) but that's to get the bats of Happ, Almora and Souza into the lineup more often.

Yeah, Almora probably benefits the most but that's a pretty decent help to their defense though.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.