Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, April 03, 2020

Bryce Harper, wife Kayla donate $500,000 to coronavirus relief

Bryce Harper donated $500,000 on Thursday toward coronavirus relief in Las Vegas and Philadelphia, the two cities the Phillies star considers to be home.

Harper and his wife, Kayla, donated to Direct Relief and Three Square in Las Vegas and Philabundance in Philadelphia. Direct Relief is a nonprofit humanitarian aid organization with a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies. Three Square is a food bank that provides more than 41 million meals per year throughout Southern Nevada. Philabundance is the largest food bank in the Philadelphia region and serves more than 24 million pounds of food a year to those in need.

“Las Vegas will always be my family’s first home,” Harper said. “Philadelphia, our home away from home, welcomed us with open arms from day one. These communities mean so much to us, and Kayla and I want to do our part to help battle the effects of the virus in Vegas and Philly.”

Harper returned last month to Las Vegas after spring training was canceled and the start of the regular season was suspended. It is unclear when (or if) baseball will be played in 2020. In the meantime, Harper is working out at home — including pushing a weighted sled in the street — and spending time with his 7-month-old son, Krew.

QLE Posted: April 03, 2020 at 12:51 AM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bryce harper, charity, coronavirus

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: April 03, 2020 at 02:06 AM (#5936103)
I wouldn't know Kayla Harper if some over-muscled wolfman punched me in the face for checking her out but I'm gonna guess that a substantial portion of this donation came out of Bryce's side of the family's income.
   2. eric Posted: April 03, 2020 at 10:24 AM (#5936176)
Krew?
   3. SoSH U at work Posted: April 03, 2020 at 10:29 AM (#5936177)

Krew?

You often see the name that isn't a name. Or the intentionally misspelled name. It's rare to see the double dip.

I hope they pronounce it "Steve" to complete the trifecta.

4. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: April 03, 2020 at 10:40 AM (#5936181)
I wouldn't know Kayla Harper if some over-muscled wolfman punched me in the face for checking her out but I'm gonna guess that a substantial portion of this donation came out of Bryce's side of the family's income.
If you do a Google image search for her, in every single picture just of her and Bryce she is to Bryce's left. It's a bit weird.
   5. Itchy Row Posted: April 03, 2020 at 10:56 AM (#5936184)
She's there to hide the fact that he wears a baseball glove on his left hand at all times.
   6. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 03, 2020 at 10:59 AM (#5936185)
If you do a Google image search for her, in every single picture just of her and Bryce she is to Bryce's left. It's a bit weird.
There's a Jeter joke in there somewhere.
   7. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: April 03, 2020 at 12:40 PM (#5936214)

Not this one.
   8. Baldrick Posted: April 03, 2020 at 12:55 PM (#5936220)

When my wife had a tech job and I was a grad student, she made about 5x as much as me. Then I got a professorship and she was a grad student and it was reversed. At no point did we split our finances into 'who earned it' categories, and we certainly would not have welcomed random people who didn't know us commenting on who actually contributed to our family's income.
   9. tshipman Posted: April 03, 2020 at 01:06 PM (#5936226)

That is weird. Nice spot.
   10. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 03, 2020 at 01:22 PM (#5936232)

At no point did we split our finances into 'who earned it' categories, and we certainly would not have welcomed random people who didn't know us commenting on who actually contributed to our family's income.

Yeah, it's kind of obvious here as to "who earned it", but at the same time I don't see any reason to comment on it.
   11. bigglou115 is not an Illuminati agent Posted: April 03, 2020 at 03:19 PM (#5936278)
Yeah, I mean if she can spend it and chooses with Bryce to donate it I don't see how it isn't as much her donation as it is his.
   12. Bourbon Samurai stays in the fight Posted: April 03, 2020 at 03:51 PM (#5936287)
not this one.

My favorite genre of these are the ones where you know what it is but you still click it anyway.
   13. bookbook Posted: April 03, 2020 at 06:43 PM (#5936338)
The more relevant thought than disparaging the wife for not earning a Major League Baseball level salary, is that for the Harpers, this is the equivalent of one of us normal people donating $100. I appreciate their generosity, but just once I’d like to see someone wealthy dig so deep to help in a world-threatening crisis that it actually impacts their rank among the one-hundredth of the top one percent.

Give till it hurts just a little if you want to get accolades for your generosity.
   14. PreservedFish Posted: April 03, 2020 at 07:00 PM (#5936342)
but just once I’d like to see someone wealthy dig so deep to help in a world-threatening crisis that it actually impacts their rank among the one-hundredth of the top one percent.

The Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates told "The Daily Show" on Thursday that his foundation was funding the construction of factories for seven coronavirus vaccine candidates.

Gates said the foundation would end up picking only one or two of the seven, meaning billions of dollars spent on manufacturing would be abandoned.

He said that in a situation where the world faces the loss of trillions of dollars to the economy, wasting a few billion to help is worth it.

link
   15. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 03, 2020 at 08:58 PM (#5936358)
The Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates told "The Daily Show" on Thursday that his foundation was funding the construction of factories for seven coronavirus vaccine candidates.[emphasis added]
It’s actually the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, unless Bill changed the name after reading comment #1.
   16. SoSH U at work Posted: April 03, 2020 at 09:04 PM (#5936360)
It’s actually the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, unless Bill changed the name after reading comment #1.\

Nice.

17. Adam Starblind Posted: April 04, 2020 at 10:05 AM (#5936423)

Wow, she is mouth-watering.
   18. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: April 04, 2020 at 10:53 AM (#5936436)
The more relevant thought than disparaging the wife for not earning a Major League Baseball level salary, is that for the Harpers, this is the equivalent of one of us normal people donating $100. I appreciate their generosity, but just once I’d like to see someone wealthy dig so deep to help in a world-threatening crisis that it actually impacts their rank among the one-hundredth of the top one percent.

Give till it hurts just a little if you want to get accolades for your generosity.

I don’t disagree but I still think it’s unfair. People making a contribution is a good thing. Maybe $500,000 isn’t going to hurt the Harpers but it’s going to make a lot of people’s lives better. That’s a good thing.
   19. Starring RMc as Bradley Scotchman Posted: April 04, 2020 at 12:37 PM (#5936473)
Re 7: It's true, Bryce isn't even in the shot!
   20. bbmck Posted: April 04, 2020 at 01:43 PM (#5936482)
Barring Covid-19 wiping out multiple seasons and/or humanity, Bryce Harper is probably looking at $500mil in career earnings and he donated 1/1000th of that. US median household income is $59k x 40 and another 20 years at half of that is around $3mil so an equivalent donation would be $3000 not $100.
   21. SoSH U at work Posted: April 04, 2020 at 01:51 PM (#5936485)
Kate Upton and her husband are donating each paycheck he receives while the games aren't being played to various coronavirus-linked organizations.

22. PreservedFish Posted: April 04, 2020 at 02:43 PM (#5936495)
Barring Covid-19 wiping out multiple seasons and/or humanity, Bryce Harper is probably looking at $500mil in career earnings and he donated 1/1000th of that. US median household income is $59k x 40 and another 20 years at half of that is around $3mil so an equivalent donation would be $3000 not $100.

Good comment.

Also, normal people donating $100 is pretty great too.
   23. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: April 04, 2020 at 03:18 PM (#5936504)
So maybe the Harpers should have put something in the statement about what the equivalent donation for an average family would be and encouraging everyone to follow their lead and give whatever they can?
   24. SoSH U at work Posted: April 04, 2020 at 03:58 PM (#5936519)
Bryce Harper is probably looking at $500mil in career earnings and he donated 1/1000th of that. US median household income is $59k x 40 and another 20 years at half of that is around $3mil so an equivalent donation would be $3000 not $100.

And for the head of a four-person household at the poverty line, roughly $24,000, giving $1,200 would match Bryce's largesse.

25. Baldrick Posted: April 04, 2020 at 05:30 PM (#5936535)
There's also the fact that a much higher percentage will go to taxes if you're making millions a year. Now, I personally don't consider tax to be something that's 'taken' from you but rather than price you pay for living in a society that makes wealth possible at all. But I know most people don't think about it that way. So that's maybe an additional part of the equation.

Of course, each marginal dollar is a lot less significant once you already have a few million, so you also probably shouldn't just do pure arithmetic here.

In any case, donating 500,000 is a lot, and they didn't have to give anything, so it's cool that they gave that much.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.