Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 17, 2021

Carlos Correa Rumors: Tigers Offered Astros Free Agent 10-Year, $275M Contract

The Detroit Tigers offered star shortstop Carlos Correa a 10-year, $275 million contract this offseason, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.

However, it’s unclear if the offer is still on the table as the Tigers have already signed Javier Baez (six years, $140 million) and Eduardo Rodriguez (five years, $77 million) this winter.

Correa had been heavily linked to the Tigers due to his relationship with former Astros manager A.J. Hinch, who managed him for his first five seasons (2015 to ‘19).

It’s important to note the deal Detroit offered Correa is $66 million less than what Francisco Lindor (10 years, $341 million) received from the New York Mets and $50 million less than what Corey Seager (10 years, $325 million) received from the Texas Rangers.

Considering those numbers, it’s reasonable to believe Correa is looking for more than $275 million on his next deal.

In addition to the Tigers, Correa has been linked to several teams this winter, including the New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox. Astros fans are holding onto hope that the team will re-sign him as well.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 17, 2021 at 10:33 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: carlos correa, tigers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Hombre Brotani Posted: December 17, 2021 at 04:17 PM (#6057787)
It's a crazy world when you can look at a 10-year, $275 million contract and immediately think, "Yeah, that's not gonna get it done."
   2. The Duke Posted: December 17, 2021 at 04:56 PM (#6057791)
I would think seagers deal is by far the best. Low/no tax in Texas vs any of the blue states that Correa is rumored to be considering. I wonder if that’s why houston is low-balling him a bit. I’d love to understand the state tax math. Scherzer lives in Florida so he gets about 6 months of Florida state tax (October through March) then he gets 81 days plus any other days he spends in NY taxed at NY rates and a blend of rates for the other 81 days. If I were a star pitcher I’d simply demand to be allowed to sit in Florida on non-pitching days OR be grossed up if you want me in the dugout.

The last company I worked for had detailed spreadsheets each senior exec had to keep on how many nights we spent in NYC (we had our corp HQ there ). NY tax collectors wanted to see all that every year. Another good reason to avoid NY
   3. . . . . . . Posted: December 17, 2021 at 05:08 PM (#6057794)
each senior exec had to keep on how many nights we spent in NYC (we had our corp HQ there )

NY doesn't care about nights - if you enter the state for any part of the day that counts towards the half-the-year total.
   4. villageidiom Posted: December 17, 2021 at 05:46 PM (#6057803)
Scherzer lives in Florida so he gets about 6 months of Florida state tax (October through March) then he gets 81 days plus any other days he spends in NY taxed at NY rates and a blend of rates for the other 81 days.
The MLB Uniform Player Contract stipulates that payments are made beginning with the start of the championship season and end with the termination of the championship season. Doesn't matter where Scherzer lives in the offseason; he gets paid semi-monthly during the season.

EDIT: to the extent that the players receive benefits outside of that - food and lodging during spring training, for example - that would also be considered taxable income. That's effectively nothing, compared to his salary.
   5. The Duke Posted: December 17, 2021 at 05:52 PM (#6057805)
That’s correct - I was using shorthand.

I read this story where rich New Yorkers were being quizzed about the food they kept in their house when they started decamping to Florida. The logic being that you don’t keep a gallon of milk in your fridge if you’ve left for months. The whole thing is insane - why anyone who makes decent money would not get the hell out of dodge and work remotely is beyond me. I’ve never gotten the allure - three or four days lasts me five years.

I worked down at the World Trade Center when I was there and I liked hanging out at the bars on the Hudson River and morning walks there but getting around to any place by cab or car seemed unnecessarily complicated. I sometimes stayed in the Bryant park area to visit banks and they was nice too. I’ve heard it’s gone to hell. My favorite hotel in the world is there - the Algonquin. I spent many nights at the Blue Bar working on business deals.

I was talking to my dad one day about an impending trip. He said “ you know I used to stay at a hotel that was frequented by a bunch of magazine writers. It’s probably not a place you would know”. I said “the Algonquin ?”. He said yes.

What are the chances of that?

6. Adam Starblind Posted: December 17, 2021 at 06:29 PM (#6057815)
Oh wow. Somebody doesn’t like New York. How fascinating.
   7. bookbook Posted: December 18, 2021 at 02:44 PM (#6057883)
The salary is a bragging right, so you need that raw number. About the creation of dynastic wealth? It matters so much more if your financial advisor is delivering 9.2% or 8.9% annual returns than whether your city has higher income tax.

The higher cost of housing in NY is a bigger problem than the tax (and even that tends to be a worthwhile investment).

8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 18, 2021 at 03:29 PM (#6057895)
No one lives in NY anymore, it's too crowded.
   9. Ron J Posted: December 18, 2021 at 09:10 PM (#6057940)
Why does anybody live any place in particular? If you think it through a lot of us are just rationalizing inertia. I've never really considered moving even though my professional skills are in demand more or less world wide. Friends and family mostly. And the general sense that I'm fine with the knowns of where I am.

Bringing this back, my stepmother is a lifetime New York City resident with a paid in full upper east side condo. She could of course sell and move but I don't think she considered it seriously. The life she knows is tied to the city.
   10. Bourbon Samurai stays in the fight Posted: December 19, 2021 at 01:36 PM (#6057999)
I loved living in New York in my twenties and am very glad I dont live there in my forties
   11. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: December 19, 2021 at 10:59 PM (#6058035)
why anyone who makes decent money would not get the hell out of dodge and work remotely is beyond me. I’ve never gotten the allure - three or four days lasts me five years.

Of course the reality is that people who love living there don't want some whiny little baby living next to them complaining about everything, so probably good you don't live there.
   12. Hombre Brotani Posted: December 20, 2021 at 02:56 AM (#6058039)
I've only ever been to New York City as a tourist. I've been there three times, and I love it unabashedly. I particularly like New Yorkers IN New York. There's none of the bless-your-heart passive aggressiveness I often run into in Texas, New Yorkers will just tell you a thing, and generally not be dicks about it. I like that. I suspect it's because it's such a walking city that everyone's just used to being around everyone else, so there's a common understanding as to how people need to be to get along in such close quarters. That's one thing I wish Los Angeles had that New York does.
   13. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: December 20, 2021 at 04:16 AM (#6058041)
I miss New York very badly - it's been 5 years since my last trip, and 12 since I was last there during baseball season. But I've managed over a decade in London and another 4 years in Düsseldorf, so clearly crowded and overpriced cities don't perturb me.

Then again, we're about to make an offer on a house in a village of 25 up in the hills, so as I approach my mid-40s, I'm clearly getting ready for some fresh air and open sky. Still, I'll be heading off to an urban center reasonably often to refresh.

"getting around to any place by cab or car seemed unnecessarily complicated" - there are other options; many of them better for your health and/or your wallet.
   14. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: December 20, 2021 at 04:08 PM (#6058122)
I loved living in New York in my twenties and am very glad I dont live there in my forties

That's pretty much how I feel now. I lived in NYC from 29-31 and it was a total blast. But I'm rocking up on 42 now and it just seems like a lot, especially given how much quieter my life has become and how much I like it that way.

And there are cultural differences that I didn't used to think about, but which matter to me now. I grew up on the west coast, and though it's a little bit hard to explain and impossible to quantify, people just have a different way of being out there. It's the way I am. I've never felt truly at home anywhere other than Oregon or California, and though I'm currently in North Carolina temporarily, I kind of can't imagine settling anywhere more than a couple hundred miles from the Pacific, for whatever reason. It's my home, and I love it, for all its flaws and foibles. It's not unlike family in that way.
   15. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 20, 2021 at 04:51 PM (#6058138)
The salary is a bragging right, so you need that raw number. About the creation of dynastic wealth? It matters so much more if your financial advisor is delivering 9.2% or 8.9% annual returns than whether your city has higher income tax.

Since no one outperforms the indices over 20 or 30 years, your financial advisor doesn't matter at all, unless he's incompetent or a crook. At that income your tax accountant and lawyer are going to matter much more than your investment manager. You can't beat the market, but you can arb the tax man.
   16. Mayor Blomberg Posted: December 21, 2021 at 01:29 PM (#6058224)
I've never felt truly at home anywhere other than Oregon or California, and though I'm currently in North Carolina temporarily, I kind of can't imagine settling anywhere more than a couple hundred miles from the Pacific, for whatever reason. It's my home, and I love it, for all its flaws and foibles. It's not unlike family in that way.

I've lived in a lot of places, including too many years in TX (Hombre Brotani -- 12 is spot on). Going on 40 years since I've lived on the east coast and I still miss it, especially Manhattan, even though I know I'd do the whole Rip van Winkle thing if I moved back.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(1863 - 8:24am, May 27)
Last: Cagerfan

NewsblogHow Good Are Those Probabilities on the Apple TV+ Broadcasts?
(2 - 7:20am, May 27)
Last: Paul D(uda)

NewsblogMet Their Match? Infield Defense a Little Off
(4 - 6:14am, May 27)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogYankees sign infielder Matt Carpenter
(5 - 4:08am, May 27)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogGammons: While outsiders wonder about the ball, MLB’s pitching coaches fret about finding enough innings
(6 - 4:01am, May 27)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

Sox TherapyOne Step Forward
(29 - 2:28am, May 27)
Last: Jay Seaver

NewsblogMLB, in memo, rebukes clubs for 'unacceptable' workplace facilities for women employees
(2 - 12:31am, May 27)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for Thursday, May 26, 2022
(35 - 12:03am, May 27)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogAnalyzing the early returns from the Blue Jays’ unorthodox defensive experiment
(18 - 9:54pm, May 26)
Last: Paul D(uda)

NewsblogAt long last, a fun new tool at Baseball Savant. Pitch tempo
(2 - 8:17pm, May 26)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogJuan Soto trade rumors: Nationals may be 'motivated' to trade outfielder
(78 - 6:49pm, May 26)
Last: Tony S

NewsblogMLB teams will be allowed to carry 14 pitchers for four more weeks
(37 - 5:37pm, May 26)
Last: Cris E

NewsblogAnaheim City Council votes unanimously to halt the sale of Angel Stadium | LA Times
(18 - 4:06pm, May 26)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

Newsblog3 years later, this trade has flipped in a BIG way
(6 - 3:25pm, May 26)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWho in MLB is must-see TV right now? This season's most watchable teams and players
(12 - 3:21pm, May 26)
Last: Karl from NY

Page rendered in 3.0412 seconds
48 querie(s) executed