Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, June 10, 2011

Cecil Fielder hoping to mend relationship with son

Jeez…good thing Prince is playing well during his walk away year.

Listening to Cecil Fielder on Thursday, it doesn’t sound like much has changed. He and his son haven’t talked since a meeting last year in Atlanta, and it wasn’t the best of conversations.

“I wanted to drop a right on him instead of talking to him,” Cecil Fielder said. “But right now, there’s a lot of stuff that’s going on with him: he’s got a heck of a season going, he’s up for contract. As a dad, you don’t want to go in there and ruin his space. This is his time.”

...“Can’t anybody say I didn’t give my son everything in the world,” Cecil Fielder said. “My son was a gifted child but he had some difficulties that he had to overcome. No. 1 was weight, he was an obese kid. Without his dad paying for a trainer to come over there six days a week, he would have been an obese kid to this day.”

In the past, Cecil Fielder said he felt Prince was too immature to try and repair their relationship. But now that Prince is a father, Cecil Fielder said he hopes his son will gain a different perspective and the two can iron out their differences.

Repoz Posted: June 10, 2011 at 08:48 AM | 104 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: brewers, business, media, tigers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Something Other Posted: June 11, 2011 at 03:06 AM (#3850693)
Am with Prince on this one 100%. I have a brother I haven't seen or spoken to since our father's funeral in 1984. Being an ####### does not get absolved just because of the word "family".
Absolutely right. A woman I was involved with for a few years was relentlessly tormented by her mother over said woman's desire to keep her dad, a drunken #######, at arm's length. The woman finally figured out there was nothing wrong with having very, very little to do with her father, particularly since the man evinced no desire to change, and never regretted his bad behavior. I was happy to support her decision.

The single most common mistake among the worst mistakes I've seen people make is choosing to remain tied to destructive family members.
   102. Magnum RA Posted: June 11, 2011 at 03:21 AM (#3850696)
I saw Cecil interviewed on MLBN about a year ago or so and he was taking potshots at his son then. Based on this behavior and if I didn't know about his gambling issues, I would have assumed he was a drug addict. It's never his fault. Gambling addict is close enough, I suppose.
   103. tshipman Posted: June 11, 2011 at 05:19 AM (#3850719)
If Cecil smacked around his 12 year old daughter, in what way is Prince not doing the responsible thing by keeping Cecil away from children?

This is a situation where Prince needs to keep Cecil on very supervised terms, and not interacting with him is totally justifiable.
   104. The NeverEnding Torii (oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh) Posted: June 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM (#3850750)
The only monster here is the gambling monster that has enslaved Cecil Fielder. I call him Gamblor. I would like to see the statistics on the fathers in damaged father/son relationships. Like how many fathers later end up trying to reconcile with sons who HAVEN'T become successful/famous. I'd probably put it at .07%.

Cecil just sounds like a typical jerk. He did some messed-up things. Then eventually, he said "oh hey, I'm sorry for all the messed-up things I did to you guys". Then when the victim's response is something along the lines of "Well, yes. Actually, it was so messed-up that I can't just easily forgive you just 'cause you're now saying you're sorry", he gets all pissy and acts like he's now the victim. "Hey man, I tried to patch it up! I told her I was sorry I hit her and stole all that money, you guys! But she just don't listen!!"
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogA’s Promote Shea Langeliers, Release Stephen Piscotty
(1 - 12:04pm, Aug 16)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

NewsblogYankees in desperate need of jolt as feeble slide continues to grow concern
(9 - 11:58am, Aug 16)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(23 - 11:33am, Aug 16)

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(75 - 11:27am, Aug 16)
Last: Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer

NewsblogTalking Friars on Twitter: List of Tatis Events
(5 - 11:27am, Aug 16)

NewsblogEric Hosmer: Fantasy football league back on the rails
(4 - 11:02am, Aug 16)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(40 - 10:53am, Aug 16)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogThe AL MVP race is closer than you think
(34 - 10:38am, Aug 16)
Last: Ithaca2323

NewsblogRangers fire manager Chris Woodward in midst of fourth straight losing season
(24 - 10:29am, Aug 16)
Last: Jaack

Hall of Merit2023 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(172 - 10:10am, Aug 16)
Last: Jaack

NewsblogFernando Tatis Sr. says 'all of baseball' loses with son suspended 80 games for 'something so insignificant'
(1 - 9:38am, Aug 16)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

NewsblogHéctor Gómez on Twitter: "The testing on Fernando Tatis Jr. was carried out at the end of March...
(1 - 9:35am, Aug 16)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers starter Walker Buehler will have season-ending elbow surgery next week
(2 - 9:30am, Aug 16)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogFernando Tatis Jr. offers ridiculous lie as excuse for cheating
(17 - 5:37am, Aug 16)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogJapanese baseball, a 150-year journey of transformation
(1 - 4:08am, Aug 16)
Last: FernandoPoplar

Page rendered in 0.2393 seconds
47 querie(s) executed