Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 09, 2020

Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa charged with DUI stemming from February arrest, court docs show

Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa was charged with driving under the influence after he allegedly ran his car into a curb in February, leaving it smoking on the side of a Phoenix-area road, according to court records obtained by ESPN.

It is the second known drunken driving arrest for La Russa, who in 2007 pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI in Jupiter, Florida.

A 76-year-old Hall of Famer long regarded as one of the canniest managers in baseball, La Russa’s hiring to lead the White Sox last week after a nine-year absence from the dugout shocked observers throughout the game.

When reached by ESPN on Monday night, La Russa said, “I have nothing to say,” and hung up the phone.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 09, 2020 at 09:18 PM | 122 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: tony larussa

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. SoSH U at work Posted: November 12, 2020 at 09:03 AM (#5988433)
Kentucky's counties are under 100K. Harford and Carroll counties in MD are over 100K, but are about as rural as many Kentucky counties.

According to my friends at wikipedia, Carroll County, Maryland has a public bus service. I can assure you your typical rural Indiana county does not have any kind of public transit operating in it, or serving a five-county region to put things on equal footing with Carroll County.

The vast majority of counties have rural areas within them. But the true rural counties, typically represented by a county seat town of 10,000 or less, don't have a lot or any of those amenities Tom mentioned.

To put this in a numerical sense: Carroll County, Maryland has a population density of 370 people per square mile.

McLean County, Kentucky has a density of 38 per square mile.

They're not equally rural.
   102. jmurph Posted: November 12, 2020 at 09:20 AM (#5988435)
Yeah everything SoSH said, the areas being described are simply not rural. They may have rural elements or even large rural areas, but public transit, come on.
   103. Zonk Can Sell Culture Posted: November 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM (#5988438)
I think a lot of it is... frankly... east coast bias.

Counties, states, cities, whatever -- people east of the Appalachians say, north of DC, south of.. Maine? generally have a far different view of what constitutes "rural" compared to those west (obviously, Pac coast aside).

I didn't grow up in what are *truly* hinterlands - NW corner of Indiana about 90 miles from Chicago... but, if you drew a 20 mile radius around my hometown centered on its single traffic light, I bet I could name every traffic light within that 20 mile circle... there aren't many.

Resident of a county of barely 100K people, top of the line public AND private schools (not costing a fortune), very few racists, a few rich people who hold little contmept for the less fortunate and in fact we have bookoo programs and volunteers to support those in need, split between GOP/Dem politics, own a wonderful home for under $300K, great neighbors. Public trans even tho kinda rural. It's a nice life. C'mon down, and maybe alter your perspective a bit....

I think the proportion of ####### to non-####### is relatively consistent, city vs rural (and I'm an optimist on humanity... usually... so the latter is more than the former everywhere). The big difference from my small-town upbringing to current city existence is that it's simply easier to ignore the ####### contingent in a city just due to the raw numbers. The old cliche about running into an ####### vs running into 99 ######## really does just require a bigger sample size.

Anyway, I know this conversation has been had here - and I've definitely had it with my more diverse city friends that have occasionally spent a weekend in my hometown for family BBQs and the like... Exceptions exist, I'm sure - but it's not like a PoC/LGBTQ/non-straight-white person is immediately going to be met with burning crosses... nor is the jukebox in the town tavern (likely, depends on who's belly'ed up at the bar on a given night, I guess :-) going to skip abruptly and the place fall silent. Most folks will be perfectly friendly or at least, neutral NPCs in an RPGish... And if one went into the town grocery store and one of the ######## happened to start ranting? I do think the chances are pretty good (75%?), at least in my hometown, said ####### was be counter-berated by a non-#######... Now, 1 AM at The Nowhere Bar - a rather... rustic... tavern? Unfortunately, I'd say the chances of an incident rise quite a bit and the chances a non-####### puts a halt to it fall even faster.

For someone not meeting the town's demographic lilt, though, it becomes a matter of how much lip pursing and cheek turning you can handle until you become enmeshed in the town fabric, find and know the non-######## in greater numbers and recognize the ####### congregation points and avoid them (and hey, let's not pretend there aren't neighborhoods in big cities that aren't the same)... that's just inherently easier for anyone in a big city where you DO/WILL have - for lack of a better term, safe spaces... neighborhoods, businesses, community orgs, et al with folks who look like you, share your ethnic traditions, language, et al. I imagine that gets a lot harder if it's literally just *you and your family*.

There are other trade-offs, depending how outside the small-town norm you are... I mean, it's not random chance that one finds LGBTQ communities mainly in large cities (and again, it's ALSO not random chance that there happen to be "neighborhoods" traditionally known as such, rather a wholly integrated city!)... In general, though - nobody is likely to bat an eye at a same-sex couple holding hands as they walk to dinner or share a kiss at a special event. I don't think the same would be true in my hometown.

Anyway... I guess I'd say I agree with TomH in general... but, I also think Lisa has a point - and lots of struggling small towns (like my own) would actually do well for themselves to make it a point to be more proactively welcoming of a more heterogeneous population for their own benefit. Hey, as I've heard family back in said hometown bemoan - it's sad that the town florist closed about 10 years ago, and now it means a half hour drive to pick up flowers for an occasion or just to surprise your sweetie... Apologies for the caricature, but is based on an actual couple I know who would just love to open a little floral shop somewhere, and as a couple of middle-aged DINKs, they could easily swing it... but, they're not going to be interested in referring to my "friend" Steve and they're going to want to continue to do the things that, well... couples in love do.
   104. BDC Posted: November 12, 2020 at 10:07 AM (#5988440)
Only forty-five minutes from Broadway,
Think of the changes it brings;
For the short time it takes,
What a diff'rence it makes
In the ways of the people and things.
Oh! What a fine bunch of farmers,
Oh! what a rube atmosphere;
They have whiskers like hay,
And to think of Broadway
Only forty-five minutes from here.
   105. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: November 12, 2020 at 11:55 AM (#5988463)
When I visit my relatives in Wisconsin I basically have to choose between two airports, Madison or Milwaukee. The other regional airports are super limited on options. So I think that begins the rural conversation.

Then I have to drive several hours. And it goes from interstate eventually to a road that maybe gets new asphalt once a decade. And is narrow. And has lots of signs warning you about deer and other animal crossings. And for stretches you don't see anything but nature. That's rural.

When you get there the water tastes awesome because they have their own well. That's rural. But it's min of 20 minutes to get anything. And don't go early in the morning or late at night because you will almost certainly experience creatures. So do drink at home.

They have satellite TV and internet. Pretty solid bandwidth. They have to supplement their HVAC with a stove that burns chips of some kind in the winter. Because by late November it's ####### A cold. And you routinely hear gun shots at all hours. I think that counts as a rural thing.

That kind of captures how I think of rural. You have to drive all the time, when you do drive watch out for legit sized animals that can #### you and your ride up, you cannot see your neighbors homes but can see out 2-5 miles in any direction, the water tastes great and you hear shotgun
blasts periodically.

included: your mobile may only work via someone's Wifi as there is no signal while travelling
   106. base ball chick Posted: November 12, 2020 at 04:13 PM (#5988495)
TomH Posted: November 12, 2020 at 07:24 AM (#5988424)
#77 - I am sure that some "rural" areas resemble your diatribe. But please don't paint them all that way.

Resident of a county of barely 100K people, top of the line public AND private schools (not costing a fortune), very few racists, a few rich people who hold little contmept for the less fortunate and in fact we have bookoo programs and volunteers to support those in need, split between GOP/Dem politics, own a wonderful home for under $300K, great neighbors. Public trans even tho kinda rural. It's a nice life. C'mon down, and maybe alter your perspective a bit....

- i will confess that my rural diatribe refers to those in texas, seeing as how i haven't been anywheres else except atlanta and that is NOT rural

- i disremember where it is that you live, but if you ever get s**w on the ground that lasts more than 8 hrs at the absolute most, it is not a place i wanna be

i have had conversations with some folks who are not White or cis or "christian" who have gone to a place like you describe and they have found themselves - how do i say it - politely shunned. the kids are not invited over to other kids houses, the adults don't socialize outside of work. unless you are single or DINK and are very solitary, it is not pleasant

jeremy renner app,

the place you describe sounds like my own personal vision of he!!
and honestly, if i wanted to hear gunshots all the time, i'd just move to certain areas of the city where i could hear/dodge gunfire

having delicious clean water out of the tap would be the one positive thing

107. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 12, 2020 at 06:31 PM (#5988516)

The NYC tap water is great.
   108. Hysterical & Useless Posted: November 12, 2020 at 08:45 PM (#5988528)
Totally off topic here, but I got an email from NYC Parks Dept today. The permitting period for Spring/Summer 2021 opens Sunday, November 15 and runs through January 15th, so if we want to get our softball permit for next summer we've gotta ACT FAST!!!
   109. The Honorable Ardo Posted: November 13, 2020 at 12:20 AM (#5988542)
I'm a city guy who's seen a lot of rural (mostly northern Michigan and the UP). Nature is a lot closer. People will give you the shirt off their back on an individual level, but their knowledge of big city life comes from the media - and their media is a Fox News mono-culture.

That doesn't stop their children from running off to the nearest college town or big city ASAP. Rural areas skew old these days.

Part of it is globalization in a very specific sense. Professional services - accounting, banking, medicine - that used to be handled by the "town fill-in-the-blank" (who chaired the Rotary Club, sponsored Little League, etc.) are now digitized or filled by branch offices of conglomerates. This kicks off a downward spiral of reducing social capital, discouraging talented young people from staying, and hollowing out historic town centers.
   110. TomH Posted: November 13, 2020 at 10:25 AM (#5988575)
I am in a county of 140+ peeps per sq mi, which I see now would be 28th out of all 50 states; so marginally suburban with a bit of rural thrown in. I can get to DC in 90 minutes at 2am, or 140 minutes at 7am. Perhaps my def of 'rural' is skewed by surrounding counties that are vastly more crowded. It's like whether you are "rich", it depends on frame of reference.
   111. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: November 13, 2020 at 10:37 AM (#5988576)
H&U, I have no freaking idea what my schedule will be. Spring would not make cause COVID. YMMV.
   112. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 13, 2020 at 03:03 PM (#5988634)
45 Minutes from Broadway was about New Rochelle, not White Plains. Close though.
   113. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 16, 2020 at 09:22 AM (#5988917)
@Cu_As

On @12News
Maricopa County Attorney’s office has dropped the charges against #WhiteSox manager Tony La Russa. No reason stated.

His BAC was .095, once they were finally able to test- legal limit is .08
   114. SoSH U at work Posted: November 16, 2020 at 09:53 AM (#5988920)
Perhaps the sheriff just drove him out to the county line and told him not come back. I suppose we'll know more if he sits out Spring Training.
   115. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 16, 2020 at 10:35 AM (#5988929)
@SeidelContent
A spokeswoman for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office tells me by email the apparent dismissal of charges against Tony La Russa is a "formality" because they were filed in the wrong court. They will be re-filed in a different justice court. "The charges are not being dropped."

Wrong jurisdiction, his case should be filed with the "Hall of Famer Baseball Person" cases.
   116. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 13, 2020 at 09:47 PM (#5993958)
   117. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 21, 2020 at 11:46 PM (#5995446)
   118. Lassus Posted: December 22, 2020 at 08:08 AM (#5995453)
I wonder if La Russa will crash his car, now that he sees no one gives a shit he drives around blitzed.
   119. Lassus Posted: December 22, 2020 at 08:14 AM (#5995455)
The NYC tap water is great.

Upstate, baby.
   120. Hot Wheeling American Posted: December 22, 2020 at 09:55 AM (#5995467)
Tap Water Tasting Funny In NYC? Here's Why
NEW YORK CITY — As if 2020 hadn't caused enough headaches for New Yorkers, residents in recent weeks have reported a new concern: strange-tasting or looking tap water coming from their faucets.

So far this month, New York City residents have made 271 complaints to 311 about the taste or appearance of their tap water — that's nearly 20 percent of all such complaints filed this year.

This year, the strange taste may be magnified by other factors. Earlier this month, DEP shut down the Catskill Aqueduct — the source of 40 percent of the city's drinking water — for a much-needed rehabilitation project which will replace century-old valves along 74 miles of the historic waterway.

To accommodate the temporary loss of that water source, the city will rely increasingly upon its two other systems: the Delaware and the Croton. Each day, depending on demand, the city rotates between those two sources, making slight variations in taste more apparent.
   121. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: December 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM (#5995505)

I agree, there have been a few days recently where it tasted different (not necessarily bad).
   122. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: December 22, 2020 at 01:16 PM (#5995529)
So far this month, New York City residents have made 271 complaints to 311 about the taste or appearance of their tap water
Meanwhile, there's a foot of snow on the ground outside. There's an answer here somewhere.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogCollege baseball pitcher Sang Ho Baek dies after complications from Tommy John surgery
(19 - 1:17am, Jun 22)
Last: Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams)

NewsblogSo no one told you OMNICHATTER! was going to be this way, for June 21, 2021
(27 - 12:26am, Jun 22)
Last: Howie Menckel

Sox TherapyAnd Breathe
(28 - 11:34pm, Jun 21)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(1856 - 11:03pm, Jun 21)
Last: Dandy Little Glove Man

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - In Which Euro 2020 Is Played in 2021
(248 - 10:51pm, Jun 21)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogBaseball Reference Adds Negro Leagues Statistics, Rewriting Its Record Book
(162 - 10:32pm, Jun 21)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogRays call up top prospect Wander Franco
(6 - 9:07pm, Jun 21)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13254 - 8:48pm, Jun 21)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogThe story of honoring Negro League history and a search for buried treasure
(1 - 8:31pm, Jun 21)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogJuneteenth Weekend OMNICHATTER, for June 18-20, 2021
(137 - 1:08pm, Jun 21)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogI Am Breaking My Silence About the Baseball Player Who Raped Me
(2 - 7:15am, Jun 21)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogThe Padres Need a First Base Upgrade
(2 - 5:25pm, Jun 20)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogOT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (June-August 2021)
(3 - 2:46pm, Jun 20)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogHow baseball’s response to RFK’s death inspired some players to fight back and sit out
(1 - 8:45am, Jun 20)
Last: willow19

NewsblogFrom the spitball to Spider Tack: A brief history of foreign substance use by pitchers in baseball
(2 - 12:46am, Jun 20)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

Page rendered in 0.3390 seconds
48 querie(s) executed