Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 05, 2021

Coors Field expected host 2021 MLB All-Star Game, per report

The 2021 MLB All-Star Game is expected to be held in Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney. The game is scheduled for July 13.

MLB recently chose to pull the festivities from Truist Park in Atlanta as a gesture of protest over the recent passage of voting laws in Georgia. Those laws are widely perceived to be too restrictive and particularly burdensome toward Black voters. Coors Field previously hosted the All-Star Game in 1998.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 05, 2021 at 11:30 PM | 32 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: all-star game, rockies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: April 05, 2021 at 11:46 PM (#6011893)
This is good. We need a new political thread.
   2. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:24 AM (#6011901)
Denver's got everything but a major league team. Good for the city.
   3. Random Transaction Generator Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:09 AM (#6011910)
Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Aaron Judge, and others in a HR derby in Colorado?

That should be interesting....
   4. Zonk Can Sell Culture Posted: April 06, 2021 at 08:08 AM (#6011921)
You'd think MLB would be biden its time a while longer, but maybe Denver is as good as it gaetz so they're in like flynn.

Colorado's voting laws certainly do trump Georgia's for accessibility, at least - probably no easier state to vote in, barr none. I imagine the people of Denver are pleased, it's like "he went to Jared's!" and proposed.

Let he who is without sin pardon the first stone, I guess... and people are always jonesin' for conspiracies.

5. . Posted: April 06, 2021 at 08:27 AM (#6011922)
February 6, 2020:

Colorado elections officials have issued lists of acceptable forms of identification for voters heading to the polls for three elections in 2020. All voters must provide ID.

If you are voting by mail for the first time, you may also need to provide a photocopy of your identification when you return your mail ballot.

Elections officials are encouraging Coloradans to make sure they are registered to vote and that their voter registration is up to date.

6. Rough Carrigan Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:32 PM (#6011977)
Thank you, #5. Along with cozying up to China while recoiling from the embrace of Georgia, MLB picks a venue where the voter ID rules are tougher than Georgia's.
Congratulations, MLB! Well done. At least a 9.0 on the social justice warrior hypocrisy scale. Good show!
   7. Robbo Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:49 PM (#6011991)
As usual, certain individuals are lying to promote their political agendas. Colorado does not require photo ID to vote, according to the Secretary of State's office. Nor, would I guess, were their election laws passed by a bunch of yahoo imbeciles who thought the last election was anything other than fair. Georgia is reaping what it sowed.
   8. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:57 PM (#6011995)
As usual, certain individuals are lying to promote their political agendas. Colorado does not require photo ID to vote, according to the Secretary of State's office.

What? Are you trying to gaslight people. This is literally the first line from your link:

All voters who vote at the polls must provide identification. If you are voting by mail for the first time, you may also need to provide a photocopy of your identification when you return your mail ballot.

9. . Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:01 PM (#6011997)
What? Are you trying to gaslight people. This is literally the first line from your link

Wokeism is racist and irrational.
   10. SoSH U at work Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:11 PM (#6012000)
He said Colorado doesn’t require photo ID, which that link confirms, dipshits.
   11. . Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:15 PM (#6012001)
Nobody ever said a thing about "photo ID," ####### squared -- the irrational ####### who wrote 7 pulled that out of his nether regions because he's an abject liar. People said "ID," and Colorado requires ID to vote. If you're going to actually insist that the ID requiring a photo separates civilization from Jim Crow then further discussion is pretty much pointless, no?

Is that your position? It's obviously beyond absurd that requiring a picture on your ID makes you ineligible to host an all-star game, while not requiring a picture on your ID doesn't. No one could possibly take such dipshittery seriously.

12. Nasty Nate Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:16 PM (#6012003)
Nor, would I guess, were their election laws passed by a bunch of yahoo imbeciles who thought the last election was anything other than fair. Georgia is reaping what it sowed.
I wouldn't have phrased it this way, but yes this is the key essence. People who try to ignore the connection of the new law to the prior election are being obtuse or slightly disingenuous.
   13. Zonk Can Sell Culture Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:18 PM (#6012005)
This all just amuses me greatly.

I didn't think it was possible to top Hugo Chavez coding voting machines from the grave, affidavits swearing "someone I didn't know told me he heard..." or "most of the votes I observed - in this traditionally Democratic district - went for the Democrat" submitted with actual court filings that presented non-existent counties as "evidence", often with misspelled state names, and melting Rudy's floor show at the Four Seasons (well, a Four Seasons)...

But life has a way of surprising you and I appreciate the wondrous variety it provides, always with a dash of you ain't seen nothing yet....
   14. . Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:23 PM (#6012006)
He said Colorado doesn’t require photo ID, which that link confirms, dipshits.

Lots of mentions of "photographs," too, in that link.

No ID is required to vote absentee by mail in Georgia, according to the SOS link, so this is all just even more pure dipshittery.
   15. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:35 PM (#6012012)
You do need ID to apply for an absentee ballot in Georgia under the new law. But it doesn’t have to be photo ID. I don’t know how that compares to Colorado.

I didn’t think that was the part of the Georgia law that people found most objectionable, FWIW.
   16. . Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:41 PM (#6012013)
The idea that the differences between Colorado and Georgia would justify the disparate all-star treatment is beyond laughable.
   17. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:41 PM (#6012015)
I live in Colorado. I have never been required to provide a photo ID to vote.
   18. . Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:42 PM (#6012016)
Then either you had one of the valid forms of ID that doesn't have a picture on it -- assuming there even are such things -- or the pollsters didn't follow the SoS rules.

Or you don't remember, or you're lying.
   19. reech Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:45 PM (#6012017)
or you're lying.

Now, THIS is why I come to this site!

Not.
   20. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:51 PM (#6012020)
In Colorado

—everyone is automatically registered to vote;
—all registered voters receive a mail-in ballot;
—mail-in ballots have a bar code for each voter/envelope;
—a signature on an envelope is verified before the vote is counted;
—97% of votes are submitted by mail;
—<1% of votes are rejected;
—for the 3% of show-up voters, if a valid ID isn't shown at the time, the ballot is accepted provisionally and the county works to verify the voter;
—the state has hundreds of drop-off boxes (200 boxes is equal to about 1 box per 29,000 citizens);
—volunteers may not wear any election gear at polls.

Colorado is widely seen as the most voter-friendly and vote-secure states. Please, someone document a better state-run operation in terms of security and enabling voting.

I'll link again to a piece I linked the other day: After 7 Years of Voting by Mail, Colorado Voters Aren't Taken in by Absentee Ballot Drama

We would do well as a nation to replicate everywhere what has been done in Colorado.
   21. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:54 PM (#6012021)
Then either you had one of the valid forms of ID that doesn't have a picture on it -- assuming there even are such things -- or the pollsters didn't follow the SoS rules.

Perhaps you've heard of a birth certificate. Do some research.

CO Acceptable Forms of Identification
   22. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:55 PM (#6012022)
I live in Colorado. I have never been required to provide a photo ID to vote.

I live in Maryland. All I need to vote is to know my name, home address and birth date and sign a form before being handed my ballot. I've never been asked for any kind of an ID, with or without a photo.
   23. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:01 PM (#6012024)
Of course news like this elicits content, so here's a Colorado-Georgia voting comparison published today:

Colorado vs. Georgia Voting Laws: What Are The Differences?
   24. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:01 PM (#6012025)
I think I may have had to provide a gas bill or something that indicated my address when I first registered.
   25. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:03 PM (#6012028)
Both CO and GA will accept a utility bill or certain other non-photo items as proof of ID and residence. (Of course, not everyone’s name is on the utility bills.)
   26. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:44 PM (#6012038)
Of course news like this elicits content, so here's a Colorado-Georgia voting comparison published today:

Colorado vs. Georgia Voting Laws: What Are The Differences?

That is a very concise summary. I know he's primarily a troll and all (so most is bullshit anyways), but pretty much everything '.' has said in this brief thread was just shot down so clearly.
   27. Vailsoxfan Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:58 PM (#6012042)
The other thing different is Colorado doesn't neuter the elected official who runs election s for the state or allow the legislature to decide to overrule county election boards and decide if they should certify the vote...
   28. Zonk Can Sell Culture Posted: April 06, 2021 at 03:45 PM (#6012056)
The other thing different is Colorado doesn't neuter the elected official who runs election s for the state or allow the legislature to decide to overrule county election boards and decide if they should certify the vote...

This really gets short-shrift, for obvious reasons, from the usual suspects.

And frankly, given that suits were filed that specifically requested this as "relief" - ignore Philadelphia or Detroit or Milwaukee or Atlanta or Phoenix and don't count them period - pretending "Oh but that would never happen!" is bullshit.

The basics of geographic dispersion and our federal republic ALREADY lead to under-representation in pure individual terms while simultaneously, with very few exceptions, lead to over-funding on revenue/disbursement...

Well... we might as well just get it now, save the time, and devolve the country into a bunch of warring city states.
   29. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 11:50 PM (#6012181)
Nothing in the Georgia law allows any such thing. Also, it's sort of bizarre to argue that having a partisan elected official running elections is the preferred system. As it happens in Georgia in 2020 that official did a good job, but that turned on his personal integrity, not a better system.
   30. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: April 07, 2021 at 09:57 PM (#6012331)
I've never been asked for any kind of an ID (to vote), with or without a photo.

I've been an election inspector in my little ol' Upstate NY town for many years, and we don't require ID to vote. Still, there are always people who hand me their driver's license.

Sometimes, if I'm in a mood, I'll do this:

Me (carefully looks at license): Ah-hah! I knew it!
Voter (alarmed): What?!
Me: This is a driver's license...!
   31. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 08, 2021 at 10:06 AM (#6012357)
OTOH to renew your driver's license you now need to produce either a birth certificate or a U.S. passport, which is kind of a pain in the ass if you haven't needed a passport for over 30 years.
   32. McCoy Posted: April 08, 2021 at 10:30 AM (#6012360)
Back before Wisconsin went red and then started trying to curate who voted you could simply walk into your polling place, tell them your name, have them check your name off in a binder, and then go vote. I think i might have brought a telephone bill with me just in case as I had no in state government IDs.

It was a breeze, no organized fraud, and even with an open election the Republicans were able to win a majority.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMinnesota Twins, Timberwolves postpone games in wake of police shooting of Daunte Wright
(254 - 5:42pm, Apr 18)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogNew York Yankees' Jay Bruce to retire after Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Rays
(6 - 5:35pm, Apr 18)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12730 - 5:31pm, Apr 18)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogMLB salary down 4.8% in 2 years; top 100 earn half
(16 - 5:01pm, Apr 18)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Spring is in the Air
(148 - 4:02pm, Apr 18)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPete Rose to sell picks for baseball, other sports through website
(40 - 3:47pm, Apr 18)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the weekend of April 17-18, 2021
(48 - 3:10pm, Apr 18)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogWhy the Cubs' awful offense could trigger full rebuild if downward trend continues this summer
(23 - 1:12pm, Apr 18)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogHow Fernando drew thousands of extra fans
(21 - 12:03pm, Apr 18)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(2692 - 11:14pm, Apr 17)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogThe Athletic: Communication failures, poor decisions and messy breakups: How it all went wrong for the Colorado Rockies [$]
(79 - 11:03pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogIn the minors, a major change as the Atlantic League plans to move the mound back a foot
(84 - 10:23pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogBlindsided Joe Girardi mum on player's sudden decision to take leave from team
(6 - 9:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogCardinals' Yadier Molina becomes first MLB player to catch 2,000 games with one team
(46 - 7:17pm, Apr 17)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogWhite Sox lefty Carlos Rodon throws no-hitter against Cleveland after losing perfect game in ninth inning
(77 - 5:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: SoSH U at work

Page rendered in 0.3475 seconds
48 querie(s) executed