Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 23, 2007

Crashburn Alley: Conlin’s Losing Numbers

I can’t help it, I love Bill Conlin. 

Conlin’s delicate E-mail answers to Bill B’s questions…

Know what, pal? Bash this. . .Tell your bloggers, my career against theirs. . .

and the gagaroostic second ...

Don’t you need to contact the 30 electors–including the two Mets beat writers–who failed to give write a single first place vote instead of a commentator who does not vote for the awards. You’re a Mets fan and you had your little bubble of arrogance and smugness burst. Your team choked big time, an epic gagaroo. At least the 1964 Phillies had an excuse–they were probably no more than the Cardinals, Reds, Braves, Dodgers and Giants that year. One question: When a Mets team chokes in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a gagging sound? Next time bring more to the table than wishful fan numbers that bear no semblance to reality. I wonder how it feels to be the Phillies #####.

Repoz Posted: November 23, 2007 at 01:03 PM | 106 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: phillies, sabermetrics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. base ball chick Posted: November 25, 2007 at 07:44 PM (#2624744)
alex,

so do you believe that as a blogger i got NO business writing any email, no matter how polite, to any baseball writer, disagreeing with anything he/she said? that it is disrespectful?

what exactly makes a blogger different from any other reader of the column?
   102. Lassus Posted: November 25, 2007 at 07:54 PM (#2624749)
I gotta say, Alex, the supervisor in question doesn't sound mature enough to be in charge of people. That story is indicative of good leadership behavior?

Should she be fired? No. But if perhaps she has a raft of other issues, or even any questions about her work, I would definitely think something like that would be a significant - and justified - mark against her.

Also, you are arguing emotions and insinuations vs. explicit behavior. The employee in question may have really thought they was kidding about her age, maybe they were referring to a conversation that was heard some other time, maybe they were simply clueless about how they sounded, and maybe they were definitely being being a weaaselly asshat. Doesn't really matter, it is open to interpretation as you implied. If they WERE being a jerk, is it how they should have acted? Are they good people? Hell no, two times.

There's NO QUESTION, however, no interpretation to a \"#### YOU!" tantrum from a person in a position of authority. It's childish, churlish, jerkish, and betrays a lack of leadership in my opinion.
   103. PerroX Posted: November 25, 2007 at 08:36 PM (#2624768)
BCC -- you have the right to email anyone you please, disagree with anyone you please, write it however you please.

They have the same rights in response.

Ultimately, Conlin is outnumbered and outgunned, no matter how many readers he has or how few the blogger has.

Would we all be better off if Conlin routinely hits "delete" on blogger emails?
   104. PerroX Posted: November 25, 2007 at 08:53 PM (#2624777)
erik --

1. No favoritism, for or against -- she doesn't pull punches for anyone.

2. Supervisors should be allowed to be human. And there's a difference between an honest question and a barb. She expressed herself. The more professional, "nice" supervisors wouldn't have responded, but put a black mark in their mental notebook and saboutaged you when you weren't looking.

3. Supervisors should be allowed a human response to an insult. Ideally, you don't cuss someone out, but in this case, it was an effective way to deliver the message.

She doesn't routinely jump down people's throats. She'll help you when you need help, she'll do the same job you're doing. She gets the job done, and gets it done effectively. She will stand up for employees against senior management. There's a reason she was the one who received the apology, a reason she's got the respect of the people who make a difference at work. They may not all like her, but they respect her.

Give me all those things and occasional abrasiveness and "unprofessionalism" over smilin' faces, backstabbing, and blatant favoritism towards those who toe the company line while doing little or nothing to aid in getting the job done.
   105. base ball chick Posted: November 25, 2007 at 09:35 PM (#2624800)
alex,

to answer your question - yes. he SHOULD hit delete, as he considers all of us scum who have no right to write in the first place.

would you feel different if he had used the word "spick" or "nigga" or "hebrew" instead of "blogger"
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogTom Goodwin, former Boston Red Sox coach, says MLB bullied coaches into getting COVID-19 vaccine: ‘There was no choice’
(33 - 2:38am, Jan 22)
Last: PeteF3

NewsblogBaseball Hall of Fame tracker 2022
(1103 - 1:20am, Jan 22)
Last: base ball chick

Hall of Merit2023 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(126 - 11:16pm, Jan 21)
Last: Chris Cobb

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(2049 - 10:56pm, Jan 21)
Last: rr: cosmopolitan elite

NewsblogRosenthal: The pressure is mounting — MLB cannot afford to lose games this season
(42 - 10:08pm, Jan 21)
Last: dejarouehg

NewsblogSherman: In defense of the blank Hall of Fame ballot
(21 - 9:39pm, Jan 21)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogRobot umpires at home plate moving up to Triple-A for 2022
(14 - 9:28pm, Jan 21)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogEx-Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre sentenced to prison for 2020 murder of toddler in Mexico
(2 - 6:53pm, Jan 21)
Last: The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV)

NewsblogHow a heart attack led to Hall of Famer Greg Maddux spurning Yankees for Braves
(17 - 5:46pm, Jan 21)
Last: Gold Star - just Gold Star

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(258 - 5:41pm, Jan 21)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(454 - 4:24pm, Jan 21)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogMLB kills Rays’ split-city plan with Montreal
(23 - 3:45pm, Jan 21)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogJapan's Giants to establish women's baseball team
(5 - 12:11pm, Jan 21)
Last: will839

NewsblogThe oldest player who ever hit in a game
(8 - 12:47am, Jan 21)
Last: kthejoker

NewsblogHow baseball changed forever in 1972: A timeline of MLB's most memorable events, 50 years later
(20 - 8:39pm, Jan 20)
Last: Howie Menckel

Page rendered in 0.2151 seconds
48 querie(s) executed