Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Dodgers Albert Pujols Hits the COVID-19 Injured List

As it turns out, Pujols, the future Hall of Famer, was feeling the effects of his second shot of the COVID-19 vaccination. This injury was for the greater good. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts had the update.

“It’s a covid IL. He got his second shot and he just didn’t feel good after getting it. As far as playing in a Major League game. So just to kind of give him a day to see where he’s at tomorrow, it was an easy move to activate Cody [Bellinger].”

This is normal for most COVID-19 vaccinations, thankfully. Some people feel worse after the first shot, some after the second. The probability is that Pujols should be back giving his teammates hugs by Wednesday or Thursday.

I intend for this to be the new COVID thread.

Lassus Posted: September 30, 2021 at 06:24 PM | 428 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: albert pujols

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5
   401. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 20, 2021 at 02:00 PM (#6053724)
Flip
   402. Tony S Posted: November 22, 2021 at 09:28 AM (#6053955)
Israel with some encouraging early booster data.

The coronavirus booster shot is much more efficient than the first two doses in preventing infections and severe symptoms in case of illness, officials said in a press conference on Sunday.

The jury remains out on whether the boosters hold their charge any longer than the original two doses. We won't know that till early next year. But this is a promising first data point.

Unlike countries in Europe, Bennett explained that it's better to use booster shots before vaccinating the whole population.

Smart. Stop butting your head against the antivaxxer brick wall, and focus instead on preventing them from dragging down the rest of us.
   403. Srul Itza Posted: November 22, 2021 at 12:15 PM (#6053974)
Even with COVID, we are rapidly approaching a worldwide population of 8 billion. It was less than 3 billion when I was born.

Until climate change really kicks in, we are not an endangered species.

So when I consider the "epidemic of the unvaxxed", I am somewhat less moved than I was by the initial wave. If these people want to self-select for death, so be it.

Yes, I know they will take some other people with them as they spread their disease, but over all, I think it is a win for the gene pool.

404. Tony S Posted: November 23, 2021 at 08:50 AM (#6054196)
Some antivaxxers, I'm sure, are fine people.

OMAHA, Neb. (FOX 42 KPTM) — "Repeated vandalism" forced the Douglas County Health Department to close its downtown drive-thru clinic.

It opened in Lot D at the CHI Health Arena in mid-October and has run twice a week since then.

It gave people an easy option for getting vaccinated against the Coronavirus without needing to get out of their car.

Thursday night health officials said several acts of vandalism forced them to close it.

The way our media bends over backwards to accommodate these people. "Vandalism", indeed. Yeah, just like some beered-up high school kids spray painting a road sign. Exactly the same.
   405. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: November 23, 2021 at 10:35 PM (#6054432)
Terrorists, not vandals. We're at war, and they are assisting the enemy.
   406. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 24, 2021 at 06:09 AM (#6054446)
So when I consider the "epidemic of the unvaxxed", I am somewhat less moved than I was by the initial wave. If these people want to self-select for death, so be it.

As ever, it's about capacity in the healthcare system, both short-term (ICU beds) and further out (long Covid). I think almost all leaders, even healthcare professionals, would at some point shrug and say that if the unvaccinated wish to cause damage to themselves - and those who honestly can't get vaccinated can be protected from that damage - then there are going to be more urgent problems to fix.

But there are only so many beds, only so many medical professionals, and in what I feel is a somewhat overlooked point, only so much patience that your medical professionals will have with a structure that requires them to work longer hours, under worse conditions, to fight to save the lives of people who are endangering themselves, and whose actions aren't being mitigated by their leaders.

If you're a well-qualified medical professional, as Covid becomes endemic rather than an active pandemic, I would expect some of the main questions you would ask yourself would be: do I want to continue this work? Where am I going to be most valued? Can I, physically and mentally, cope with years or decades more of this kind of intensity?

Arsonists may mostly burn down their own houses, but if firefighters are working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day to try to minimise the impact, there's a breaking point where the firefighters decide they can have a better life doing the same job in a place that has fewer arsonists. Then the non-arsonists in the area suffer too.

TL; DR: In many countries, healthcare systems teeter on the point of overload at times, especially in the winter. Letting the unvaccinated put their fingers on the scales over a long period of time significantly increases the risk of systemic collapse. We're used to systemic collapses being averted just in time, but sometimes they aren't. The Ercot power grid collapse was earlier this year.
   407. Tony S Posted: November 25, 2021 at 01:47 PM (#6054630)
Ready for Season 3?

Concerned scientists have raised the alarm over a new Covid-19 variant with an "extremely high number" of mutations which could cause fresh chaos.

Fears are growing after a brand new Covid-19 strain which "could be of real concern" was detected by scientists.

The new variant was first picked up by Imperial College London virologist Dr Tom Peacock, who shared details on a genome-sharing website.

In a chilling warning, Peacock stated that the "incredibly high amount of spike mutations suggest this could be of real concern", with cases so far found in three countries.

Happy Thanksgiving.
   408. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 25, 2021 at 09:36 PM (#6054650)
I have been beating the drum about the likelihood of a winter wave for a while, so I will give a slightly optimistic take — it kind of looked like the rate of increase was slowing down the last few days going into the Thanksgiving holiday. Of course, I might be wrong, Thanksgiving get togethers and travel could accelerate things again, etc.

Unfortunately, due to reduced reporting for the next few days we won’t really have an accurate picture for another week or so. I’ll continue to watch the hospitalization numbers as those are probably the closest thing to accurate real-time data we’ll get.
   409. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 26, 2021 at 03:57 PM (#6054686)
Tons of travel restrictions everywhere. It's very smart IMHO, because if this new variant turns out to be resistant to current vaccines and especially if it's more contagious or more deadly, early travel restrictions might buy a little time before it spreads widely.

If it turns out the cat's already out of the bag or the variant isn't that bad, they can always reverse them.

50,000 cases today in the UK, which is one of the very highest days since delta hit there. And winter has barely begun...
   410. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: November 26, 2021 at 04:08 PM (#6054687)
If this thing is more contagious and more vaccine resistant I'm skeptical that anything any Western country is realistically capable of doing is going to make any sort of difference.

Happy Holidays!
   411. we all water; we all 57i66135 Posted: November 26, 2021 at 04:17 PM (#6054689)
Q: Why is everyone so concerned?

A: In one word: mutations. The new variant has more than 30 mutations of the spike protein, which is what viruses use to get into human cells. That is a really high number, amounting to double the number of mutations that Delta has, for example, and means this virus is significantly different from the one that first emerged in China. Omicron is “the most heavily mutated version of the virus we have seen,” Lawrence Young, a virologist at the University of Warwick, said. The variant is the “most worrying we’ve seen,” said Dr. Susan Hopkins, the chief medical adviser to the U.K. Health and Security Agency. Hopkins said the sheer number of mutations raise a lot of questions about the variant: “There’s mutations that increase infectivity, mutations that evade the immune response both from vaccines and from natural immunity, mutations that cause increased transmissibility.”

412. Tony S Posted: November 26, 2021 at 06:49 PM (#6054707)
If this thing is more contagious and more vaccine resistant I'm skeptical that anything any Western country is realistically capable of doing is going to make any sort of difference.

If it's (a) more contagious, (b) more vaccine resistant, but (c) much less serious, then that's a trade we'd probably be happy to make.

That's likely the best-case scenario (besides the variant sputtering out).
   413. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 27, 2021 at 06:00 AM (#6054755)
Useful thread on the science here, although it's obviously extremely early days: Trevor Bedford Twitter thread

Most interesting is that this variant doesn't seem to stem from Delta or any other variants in wide circulation, but from 2020-dominant variants. There are implications for how the variant might have arisen that I'm not qualified to assess. Pfizer/BioNTech have bet big on being able to turn around adapted Covid vaccines for variants within around 100 days - which is incredible, let's all take a moment to remind ourselves - but a lot more data is needed before anyone knows anything real about effectiveness, risk of reinfection, etc., etc.

A point was made elsewhere that we need to incentivise countries to report this stuff. If the first (and probably correct) reaction of the rest of the world is to restrict travel, decimating industries like tourism in the reporting countries, then they are heavily incentivised not to do this. The wider world could do a lot worse than pre-configured aid packages to countries who promptly report new variants with attributes at least as dangerous as Delta.
   414. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 27, 2021 at 08:39 AM (#6054758)
Very good point, #413.
   415. Lassus Posted: November 27, 2021 at 09:20 AM (#6054763)
There is a lot of undeniable WTF in the reporting. OMICRON SHUTDOWN based on not a lot going on yet, "Pfizer and Moderna not providing Africa with vaccines caused this" vs. literally last week's "Lack of Cases in Africa a Confounding Mystery". Really exhausting.
   416. Tony S Posted: November 27, 2021 at 09:42 AM (#6054767)
The experience of the last two years seems to have spurred governments to err on the side of caution, and the media coverage is reflecting that.

From what I've read, the mRNA vaccines can be re-calibrated and tested for a new variant within 100 days, at which point the remaining challenge is distribution -- and unlike a year ago, the infrastructure is in place, at least in the developed world. So it would be a matter of containing the damage and surviving until we get to that point. Looks like next spring.

Of course, "containing the damage" means mitigation measures, which are enormously unpopular. So this is going to get a lot uglier than it needs to get.

Just do whatever you can to protect yourself.

Previous generations had to deal with the World Wars and the Depression. It is our turn for life to suck for a few years.
   417. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 27, 2021 at 09:50 AM (#6054768)
South Africa has extremely high vaccine skepticism, and lack of vaccines has not been a major issue there for a while now.

At its peak in August, South Africa administered nearly 400,000 vaccine doses in one day. Over the past week, the daily rate has at times dropped below 10,000 doses.
This, despite low vaccination rates overall. According to this thread, you can in large part blame the vaccine skepticism pushed by certain folks in then West.

418. Tony S Posted: November 27, 2021 at 10:00 AM (#6054772)
This, despite low vaccination rates overall. According to this thread, you can in large part blame the vaccine skepticism pushed by certain folks in then West.

I've mentioned before that Puerto Rico is the most highly vaccinated place under the US flag, and have speculated as to why. I never realized what was probably the most obvious explanation -- the San Juan cable package doesn't carry certain "news" outlets that disseminate anti-vax propaganda.
   419. Tom Goes to the Ballpark Posted: November 27, 2021 at 10:34 AM (#6054777)
From what I've read, the mRNA vaccines can be re-calibrated and tested for a new variant within 100 days, at which point the remaining challenge is distribution -- and unlike a year ago, the infrastructure is in place, at least in the developed world. So it would be a matter of containing the damage and surviving until we get to that point. Looks like next spring.
The wildcard, at least in the US, is how quickly will the FDA/CDC push through an EUA? They didn’t cover themselves in glory in the booster rollout.
   420. SoSH U at work Posted: November 27, 2021 at 11:35 AM (#6054782)
I've mentioned before that Puerto Rico is the most highly vaccinated place under the US flag, and have speculated as to why. I never realized what was probably the most obvious explanation -- the San Juan cable package doesn't carry certain "news" outlets that disseminate anti-vax propaganda.

I was just there. Even with the high vaccination rates, they're also still good with the mitigation efforts. It was a pleasant surprise.
   421. Mayor Blomberg Posted: November 27, 2021 at 11:43 AM (#6054785)
Surprised it hasn't been posted already, but from WaPo:
Molnupiravir, a pill that could be taken at home, had shown promise in cutting the risk of hospitalization and death by half among high-risk patients in data released by the company in October. But according to the latest findings Merck presented to the FDA, the pill reduced the risk of hospitalization and death only by 30 percent.
The study by the drugmakers found that, among participants receiving the pill, just one participant died during the trial, compared with nine deaths in the placebo group, the companies said in a news release Friday.
“It’s still a 30 percent effect, which is still good for a high-risk population,” said David Boulware, an infectious-disease physician and professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota Medical School who was not involved in Merck’s research. “It’s better than zero, and it’s a starting point, but it’s a little bit more modest.”
There's something to be said for the disease-fighting capabilities of microchips.
   422. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 27, 2021 at 11:48 AM (#6054786)
Edit: never mind, I was wrong.
   423. Tony S Posted: November 28, 2021 at 10:22 AM (#6054982)
Moderna is on it.

And I presume Pfizer as well.

As 419 alludes, the long pole in the tent is likely going to be the FDA and CDC dithering and flexing, as happened with the boosters.
   424. bunyon Posted: November 28, 2021 at 10:49 AM (#6054983)
Anti-vitals are hard. Film at 11.
   425. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 30, 2021 at 09:24 AM (#6055304)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)here, explaining that Omicron outcompeting Delta and spreading rapidly does not necessarily mean that it is more transmissible. It may be a result driven almost entirely by ability to get around prior immunity and vaccines.

It's mostly speculation right now, but Omicron's particular mutations strongly imply significantly enhanced immune resistance but don't obviously imply enhanced transmissibility or enhanced virility.

Ability to get around current vaccines and immunity from prior infections is bad enough, but could be largely mitigated by revised vaccines.
   426. Lassus Posted: November 30, 2021 at 10:24 AM (#6055319)
The Central/Northern NY shitshow continues it's explosive diarrhea.

Oneida County at 8.5% positive, up from 2.8% positive on October 24th.

The Mohawk Valley region, which includes Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Otsego, and Schoharie counties is at a 9.5% 7-day
average, with 11/28's daily averages being fucking awful:

COUNTY - 11/28/21% - rolling 7-day%

Mohawk Valley total - 13.4% - 9.5%

Fulton - 15.8% - 13.1%

Herkimer - 23.2% - 9.8%

Montgomery - 24.6% - 13.6%

Oneida - 9.7% - 8.5%

Otsego - 12.4% - 8.5%

Schoharie - 5.5% - 8.9%

(Woooohoooo Schoharie County!)

On the personal level, I agreed and committed to do a masked Vespers concert with a small choir in college chapel on October 24th. And now I have dress tonight for a December 5th service, when the % rate for the County may be over 10%, or fuck if I know, over 15%. I'm going to have to bow out and fuck the conductor. But my family arrives for Xmas two weeks after this service. There are a lot of other factors all working together, but I just don't think I can do this. The dude isn't even properly separating the amateur singers to 6 feet, and just everything together's kind of a mess. I don't want to bug out, but I'm pretty sure I need to be in "better safe than sorry" mode.
   427. Tony S Posted: November 30, 2021 at 11:13 AM (#6055329)

Lassus, your health and that of those close to you is more important than anything else. You made your commitment in good faith, but the situation on the field has changed since October 24th. I can't imagine you're the only one with these concerns.

I'm basically on personal-lockdown mode myself until we get a clearer picture of the Omicron threat. After three relatively steady triple-digit days in Maryland, we jumped to 1244 new cases yesterday, the highest number in at least a month. Maybe some of that is holiday backlog, but I'm going to proceed on the side of caution.
   428. Lassus Posted: November 30, 2021 at 11:24 AM (#6055333)
Lassus, your health and that of those close to you is more important than anything else. You made your commitment in good faith, but the situation on the field has changed since October 24th. I can't imagine you're the only one with these concerns.

Thanks. I know it's the right thing in a wrong situation, I'm just gearing myself up for it.

I don't think even up here I'm on any kind of lockdown. I'm not avoiding grocery stores or gas stations or work. I think general and consistent mitigation measures are perfectly acceptable. (Of course, I'm not in any kind of actually populated area or city, so it's probably not that difficult.)

But singing three within six feet of four people (and within 12 feet of about 12 people) for an hour is not general and consistent mitigation. My family arriving from FL and MI isn't either, but I'll wait two more weeks to deal with that, I guess.
Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1298 - 7:39am, Dec 08)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogMinnie, Gil, Buck among 6 elected to Hall
(127 - 5:02am, Dec 08)
Last: Moeball

NewsblogAthletics manager search: Mark Kotsay, Joe Espada, Will Venable among A's candidates, per report
(5 - 4:57am, Dec 08)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

NewsblogOn MLB-owned media, the players now barely exist. What’s behind that decision?
(7 - 4:38am, Dec 08)
Last: manchestermets

NewsblogFlushing University: Reality Sets In
(6 - 3:13am, Dec 08)
Last: Eric Clark

NewsblogESPN's Tim Kurkjian is 2022 winner of BBWAA Career Excellence Award
(4 - 12:55am, Dec 08)
Last: Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams)

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(105 - 11:35pm, Dec 07)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(65 - 11:08pm, Dec 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogRed Sox, Astros Interested In Trevor Story
(7 - 8:39pm, Dec 07)
Last: Walt Davis

Hall of MeritGil Hodges
(77 - 8:36pm, Dec 07)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogWhat Does Endeavor, Silver Lake’s Push Into Baseball Mean For the Minors?
(16 - 5:14pm, Dec 07)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogMajor League Baseball is headed for a lockout. Is Ted Cruz the only one who can stop it?
(12 - 5:10pm, Dec 07)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogJose Marmolejos Signs With Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
(2 - 3:55pm, Dec 07)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(20 - 3:19pm, Dec 07)
Last: Darren

NewsblogHere is Mets' preliminary list of managerial candidates
(13 - 2:13pm, Dec 07)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

Page rendered in 0.3073 seconds
48 querie(s) executed