Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

East 161st street in the Bronx to be renamed ‘Jeter Street’: report

There’s not much more to be said about what Derek Jeter means to the Bronx. Now the borough wants to rename part of East 161st street, from Yankee Stadium eastbound, after the former Yankee captain, according to amNewYork Metro.

Two Bronx councilwomen, Vanessa Gibson and Diana Ayala, plan to introduce legislation to rename part of E. 161st street as “Jeter Street,” in the report released Tuesday.

The plan is for “Jeter Street” to intersect “Rivera Avenue” — renamed after fellow Yankee legend Mariano Rivera last year when he became the first unanimous inductee into the Hall of Fame.

The next class of Hall of Famers will be announced on Jan. 21. Jeter is Cooperstown bound, but it’s unclear if he’ll be able to match Rivera’s perfect ballot.

QLE Posted: January 15, 2020 at 12:47 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: derek jeter, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: January 15, 2020 at 12:28 PM (#5916002)
No left turns allowed?
   2. RoyalFlush Posted: January 15, 2020 at 12:57 PM (#5916026)
Is that in The Gift Basket District?
   3. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: January 15, 2020 at 01:06 PM (#5916032)
Naming things after people is unbelievably stupid in my opinion. This isn't a knock on Jeter, it's just that people who seem wonderful in public turn out to be scumbags behind closed doors. On top of that things change and people who seem wonderful in one era may seem very bad in a future era.
   4. SoSH U at work Posted: January 15, 2020 at 01:11 PM (#5916033)

Naming things after people is unbelievably stupid in my opinion. This isn't a knock on Jeter, it's just that people who seem wonderful in public turn out to be scumbags behind closed doors. On top of that things change and people who seem wonderful in one era may seem very bad in a future era.

Fortunately, this is just part of a street, so when Jeter eventually gets caught in an underground aardvark sex ring, they can just remove it. Street names are pretty easy to change, unless it's Sixth Avenue. That ordinal is sacrosanct.
   5. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: January 15, 2020 at 01:36 PM (#5916064)
This isn't a knock on Jeter, it's just that people who seem wonderful in public turn out to be scumbags behind closed doors.

the Reds ballpark is still located on Pete Rose Way. So, sometimes, it doesn't matter how much of a scumbag you are, you still get the street named after you.
   6. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 15, 2020 at 02:08 PM (#5916098)
I used to live on Chaka Khan Way in Chicago. It was only honorary Chaka Khan Way (the post office had no idea where it was), but it was still on the street signs and very awesome. I wouldn't care if it comes out that she's maintained her powers by murdering a puppy every single day of her adult life.
   7. flournoy Posted: January 15, 2020 at 02:16 PM (#5916105)
I would refrain from naming something after someone until the namesake is either dead or very elderly. Otherwise you wind up with stuff named after people like O.J. Simpson.
   8. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 15, 2020 at 02:18 PM (#5916108)
I used to live on Chaka Khan Way in Chicago.
I feel for you.
   9. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 15, 2020 at 02:21 PM (#5916114)
I would refrain from naming something after someone until the namesake is either dead or very elderly.
Residents of Bill Cosby Lane might quibble with that last qualification.
   10. Rusty Priske Posted: January 15, 2020 at 02:26 PM (#5916122)
I used to live on Chaka Khan Way in Chicago.

I feel for you.

Perfect.
   11. KronicFatigue Posted: January 15, 2020 at 02:37 PM (#5916141)
Street names should go in order. Period. Numbers are best, natch, but then you can also have sections that go alphabetically, or chronological (presidental names). Obviously GPS has changed the world, but it's still best to be able to keep your eyes up looking at streets and still have a generic sense of where you are.
   12. Walt Davis Posted: January 15, 2020 at 03:26 PM (#5916180)
I hate it when celebrities like Chris Truby and Chaka Khan kill puppies every day.

And Mike Crudale.
   13. geonose Posted: January 15, 2020 at 03:38 PM (#5916191)
Street names are pretty easy to change

It's easy as long as it's not YOUR street (or the street on which you have a business). Then it becomes painful and expensive. Any incorporated business on a street that undergoes renaming has to refile its corporation paperwork, to the tune of several thousand dollars.
   14. Blastin Posted: January 15, 2020 at 03:51 PM (#5916200)
It's one block of a longer (numbered) street. And it's not really being changed, it's just one of those ceremonial titles.
   15. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 15, 2020 at 03:55 PM (#5916201)
Street names should go in order. Period. Numbers are best, natch, but then you can also have sections that go alphabetically, or chronological (presidental names). Obviously GPS has changed the world, but it's still best to be able to keep your eyes up looking at streets and still have a generic sense of where you are.
This only works where there's a grid, which there often isn't.

One thing I like about NC is that a lot of the older, long roads are named for the towns the head towards. If you're in Raleigh and want to go to Fayetteville you can get there via Fayetteville Road. From Orange County the Greensboro Highway will get you to Greensboro. In Durham the road towards Roxboro is called Roxboro Street, while in Roxboro it's called Durham Street.
   16. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 15, 2020 at 04:00 PM (#5916207)
It's one block of a longer (numbered) street. And it's not really being changed, it's just one of those ceremonial titles.
Also the only things on that block are Yankee Stadium, a park, and a public track. If they had to, the Yankees I'm sure would be fine changing their address to "Jeter Street", and when the aforementioned aardvark sex ring comes out they'll no doubt be ready to change it to Gleyber Torres Boulevard.
   17. Zach Posted: January 15, 2020 at 05:14 PM (#5916235)
It's easy as long as it's not YOUR street (or the street on which you have a business).

Tell me about it!

I still keep writing "Chris Truby Way" instead of "Fifth Avenue".
   18. Starring RMc as Bradley Scotchman Posted: January 15, 2020 at 05:47 PM (#5916247)
I hate it when celebrities like Chris Truby and Chaka Khan kill puppies every day.

And Mike Crudale.

Behold!
   19. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: January 15, 2020 at 06:09 PM (#5916250)

If we're talking about the South Bronx, I prefer Beat Street over Jete Street.

20. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: January 15, 2020 at 06:11 PM (#5916251)

I still keep writing "Chris Truby Way" instead of "Fifth Avenue".

I think naming rights to that block are still available.
   21. eric Posted: January 15, 2020 at 07:26 PM (#5916278)
"Jeter Street" sounds like a euphemism. If you win the lottery you're suddenly on easy street, but if you suddenly become irresistably attractive--say being a doughy middle-aged man becomes as hip as being a rock star or, obviously, pro athlete--well now you're on Jeter street.
   22. Howie Menckel Posted: January 15, 2020 at 09:41 PM (#5916313)
Speed limit on this road will be 2 mph in homage to the rangy SS
   23. PreservedFish Posted: January 15, 2020 at 09:48 PM (#5916317)
I think naming rights to that block are still available.

I'm so sick of evil billionaires like Jared Kushner and Chris Truby buying iconic NY real estate.
   24. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 15, 2020 at 09:52 PM (#5916319)

Yup. New York City got a black eye when it turned out that Michael 38th was a child molester.
   25. Walt Davis Posted: January 15, 2020 at 11:09 PM (#5916338)
The Yanks should buy up all that property, rename the streets and start selling condos on Jeter St, Rivera Ave, Yogi Way, etc. Of course I'd be lucky to afford something on Luis Sojo Circle. If you see something on Tom Tresh Terrace, make sure you're buying in early and get out early cuz that place is gonna decline fast.
   26. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: January 15, 2020 at 11:20 PM (#5916343)
Ichiro! could have any street, anywhere named after him if he wanted to.

27. winnipegwhip Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM (#5916417)
The Yanks should buy up all that property, rename the streets and start selling condos on Jeter St, Rivera Ave, Yogi Way, etc. Of course I'd be lucky to afford something on Luis Sojo Circle. If you see something on Tom Tresh Terrace, make sure you're buying in early and get out early cuz that place is gonna decline fast.

Are you gonna send your kids to Chad Curtis PS 146?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.