Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Empty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird

So, with the very likely possibility that baseball and basketball — at minimum — will be played to empty stadiums, it begs the question: Will it be as fun?

And before you answer, think about it for a second. No crowd noise. No intensity that builds for the home team or against the away team. Yes, the scoreboard will tell the tale, but the pressure is cranked up when you have a building full of crazy fans screaming their lungs out.

I get that it’s a business and that the money’s at the ML level, but considering crowds, distance from population centers, and the pleasures of relaxed fandom, I’ve been thinking that we might just run some mLs instead.

Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM | 14266 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, fans, stadiums

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 142 of 143 pages ‹ First  < 140 141 142 143 > 
   14101. SoSH U at work Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:07 PM (#6041007)
It's not joy in the deaths of "hundreds of thousands", it's joy in the deaths of a few dozen (hundred? I don't know, I've never visited that subreddit) people who have been publicly anti-COVID-vaccine.

Fair enough, but the exact number is kind of immaterial to me.
   14102. Srul Itza Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:07 PM (#6041008)
Hooray, you're better than the worst people.

Congratulations, SOSH, you have filled your virtue-signaling quota for the day.

You can move on to something else.

From my perspective, these are not just everyday people who didn't get vaccinated -- and thus not the "hundreds of thousands" you exaggerate about. They are people who actively encouraged other people not to get vaccinated, spreading the misinformation and horse-crap that got other people killed.

Karma can be a real #####.
   14103. . Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:09 PM (#6041010)
I genuinely feel that way about HCA winners.

And there were plenty of people who felt that way about "[AIDS Award]" winners but those people were thought of by the educated and the sophisticated as society's creeps and dregs.

Fast forward a generation and, well -- here we are.

14104. smileyy Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:12 PM (#6041011)
Still nailed it in [14102] regarding who the subreddit is about. It's not the people dying from Covid. It's not even the unvaccinated dying from Covid. It's those who are publicly fighting against masks, vaccines and the seriousness of the virus that is responsible for at least 800k excess deaths. Those people are killing themselves but more importantly others, and orphaning their children.
   14105. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:17 PM (#6041014)
It's the delta wave. And now that we have so many people vaccinated or already infected, it's very unlikely this winter will be worse than last winter, in the US anyway.
uh...i would be very careful about that assumption.

there is going to be a gamma variant. there is going to be a sigma variant. there is going to be a pho variant. delta may subside, but covid is not going away; it will continue to mutate, and almost certainly in ways that evade our collective immune response.
   14106. SoSH U at work Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:17 PM (#6041015)
Congratulations, SOSH, you have filled your virtue-signaling quota for the day.

See, at least Srul gets it. I was saying greenback was borrowing from the rightwing playbook and accusing me of virtue signaling, not the other way around.

Still nailed it in [14102] regarding who the subreddit is about. It's not the people dying from Covid. It's not even the unvaccinated dying from Covid. It's those who are publicly fighting against masks, vaccines and the seriousness of the virus that is responsible for at least 800k excess deaths. Those people are killing themselves but more importantly others, and orphaning their children.

I know. I know. It's just those people whose deaths are awesome that should be celebrated.
   14107. . Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:17 PM (#6041016)
Yeah, I mean, after all: Who's more influential than some nobody loser from Bumfuck, Texas posting on Instagram? And "publicly" posting to boot.
   14108. . Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:25 PM (#6041021)
It's the delta wave. And now that we have so many people vaccinated or already infected, it's very unlikely this winter will be worse than last winter, in the US anyway.

Depends mostly on how seasonal delta is, whether the vaccines are accelerating the virus's ability and propensity to mutate, what happens in the rest of the world, and how many people get vaccinated. Alpha was extremely seasonal.
   14109. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:29 PM (#6041025)
I was saying greenback was borrowing from the rightwing playbook and accusing me of virtue signaling

he's right
   14110. SoSH U at work Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:47 PM (#6041039)
he's right

No offense, but you guys don't pull that off nearly as well as JE or Ray.
   14111. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:48 PM (#6041040)

I think the key for this winter is going to be whether they approve the vaccine for kids under 12, and what the uptake is.
   14112. Srul Itza Posted: September 22, 2021 at 03:51 PM (#6041041)
It's just those people whose deaths are awesome that should be celebrated.

You act like that is unusual. When Jedgar Hoover died in 1972, MIT began an annual celebration, the J Edgar Hoover Memorial Pot Party, which was still going on when I got there a couple of years later.*

When Osama Bin Laden was snuffed, a lot of people cheered.

I don't exactly have a list, but I know there are a number of people in public life whose demise, if I live long enough to see it, I fully intend to celebrate, as good riddance to bad rubbish.

* Clarification: Having an annual event was still going on. The original pot party was not still going on.
   14113. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 22, 2021 at 04:12 PM (#6041054)
I don't know who exactly is reading that subreddit, but it seems to me a very useful thing to publicize the deaths of people who had fought against vaccinations, masking or other public health measures. If this information causes any of their friends, followers and fellow travelers to change their minds and get vaccinated, that's a very good thing.

I don't take any glee or comfort in their deaths. But if something good can from them, we should do all we can to promote it.
   14114. Tony S Posted: September 22, 2021 at 04:14 PM (#6041058)

I think the key for this winter is going to be whether they approve the vaccine for kids under 12, and what the uptake is.

It's going to be a race between approval of the vaccine for kids and stuff like this.

The big takeaway from the new rule, now in effect, is that if students are exposed to someone with COVID-19, and they remain asymptomatic, they can continue to go to school and school activities. Additionally, the order does not require that those who come into contact with a COVID-positive individual be tested for the virus themselves. This means that, effectively, if a student is in contact with someone with COVID, if they don’t present symptoms, they won’t have to stay home and they won’t have to be tested. It is unclear how this will affect the spread of COVID-19 in schools.

Never change, Florida.
   14115. smileyy Posted: September 22, 2021 at 04:21 PM (#6041060)
It is unclear how this will affect the spread of COVID-19 in schools.

Is it though?
   14116. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 22, 2021 at 04:22 PM (#6041061)
Probably about 400,000 Americans died from covid in the 5 months of last winter (excess deaths, Nov 1 - Mar 31). Without a new variant, that certainly won't happen again. Obviously it could happen again, but at least as of today it seems highly unlikely.
   14117. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 22, 2021 at 05:03 PM (#6041083)
Donald Trump-aligned Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, whose state recorded more COVID-19 cases and deaths in August than it did in any month before vaccines became widely available, has appointed a new state surgeon general. Is it someone normal who will tell people to get vaccinated? No, you idiot! It’s a doctor named Joseph Ladapo who was last seen on the national stage participating in a COVID miracle cure event with another doctor who believes that lizard people control the government and that demons cause gynecological problems by implanting stolen sperm, as well as a third doctor who later got arrested for being part of the mob that smashed into the U.S. Capitol in an effort to overturn the presidential election.

14118. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 22, 2021 at 05:09 PM (#6041085)

* Clarification: Having an annual event was still going on. The original pot party was not still going on.

Rats.

Roy Cohen belongs on the list, and I'll certainly celebrate Rudy and Trump when they go, seditious as that might make me.

Rejoicing at the deaths of people whose bullshit puts me at risk for no reason other than their own sick politics is just not something I have an issue with.
   14119. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2021 at 05:32 PM (#6041095)
I had a boss once who at one point we all realized that if someone came rushing into the office and said "Ted had a massive heart attack on the subway. He died instantly.", everyone's reaction would have been "Oh, thank god".

There are simply certain people for whom death is a release. For everyone else.
   14120. Srul Itza Posted: September 22, 2021 at 05:58 PM (#6041098)
Roy Cohen

I met him once, about 41 years ago. Charming fellow.

Really.
   14121. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 22, 2021 at 06:35 PM (#6041106)
I met him once, about 41 years ago. Charming fellow.

Sociopaths frequently are.
   14122. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: September 22, 2021 at 07:26 PM (#6041113)
I assume the reference is actually to Roy Cohn? Maybe there's a particularly despicable Roy Cohen out there of whom I'm unaware, though.
   14123. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 22, 2021 at 07:44 PM (#6041117)
14122 - bless spellcheck's heart.
   14124. Tony S Posted: September 23, 2021 at 08:28 AM (#6041209)
I'll certainly celebrate Rudy and Trump when they go, seditious as that might make me.

No sedition involved. Neither is an elected official.

Here's a thoughtful and haunting piece as to why this pandemic just gallops along.

I don’t want to get into the weeds on this one. I would simply assert that the raw audiovisual material containing the dirge and shambles of the last eighteen months might have done a better job than we all did, with our facts and other such impertinences, to out-compete false digital realities.
Often those realities were desperately thin — out of context images with Impact text about some perceived conspiracy or slight thrown over the top. The conspiracy memes don’t even agree with each other: COVID is simultaneously a hoax, but also real but not dangerous, but also dangerous and only combated by vaporware drugs.

We don't really see Covid. We see the stats, we see the impact of the mitigation measures, but we barely see the actual images of the disease itself. And that helps fuel the still-rampant denialism.
   14125. Lassus Posted: September 23, 2021 at 08:40 AM (#6041212)
but we barely see the actual images of the disease itself.

I mean, I guess, but I feel like there have been plenty of pictures of people on ventilators and the like.

I hate to say it, and it wouldn't happen, but if you're talking about IMPACT, it would in this case require video of people struggling to breathe and dying alone.
   14126. Ron J Posted: September 23, 2021 at 08:45 AM (#6041214)
#14125 Has no impact on the deniers. Those are crisis actors.
   14127. Greg Pope Posted: September 23, 2021 at 09:34 AM (#6041221)
Never change, Florida

Honestly, are they trying to kill people? One of the largest reasons for this pandemic is that when you're exposed, you may not show symptoms for up to 14 days. You're out there spreading the disease before you know you have it. We know this.
   14128. . Posted: September 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM (#6041246)
Honestly, are they trying to kill people? One of the largest reasons for this pandemic is that when you're exposed, you may not show symptoms for up to 14 days. You're out there spreading the disease before you know you have it.

Vaccinated people do this, too, and it might be even worse because the symptom-reducing vaccines have made them net-net more likely to go out in public carrying a significant viral load.

The vaccinated are spreading COVID-19, and in significant amounts. Biden's formulation was basically entirely backwards -- the unvaxxed need protection from the vaxxed far more than vice versa. Of course, the protection for the unvaxxed is right there in front of their faces -- the vaccines. It's highly dispiriting that the public education and rhetoric on this issue is so distant from reality.

The vaxxed did their duty to their community. The unvaxxed did not. But getting the vaccine did not protect the community from potential COVID spreading by the vaxxed. It simply did not. Maybe there will be a vaccine one day that does do that -- let's hope so -- but the vaccines those of us who did our duty put in our arms did not. It's very strange to see so, so many of the vaxxed who do not understand this basic point, some of whom continue to stridently insist exactly the opposite.

The unvaxxed's failure to do their duty made that potential spreading more serious, to be sure, but the unvaxxed are bearing way, way more of the cost of that -- as they should.
   14129. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM (#6041249)
· 97 percent of COVID-19-related deaths were in unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated people. Among a total of 6,472 COVID-19-related deaths identified in Pennsylvania in 2021, the latest data shows 213, or three percent, post-vaccination deaths identified. Cumulative death incidence among the unvaccinated and not fully vaccinated was 7.9 times as high as the death incidence among the fully vaccinated.

· 95 percent of reported hospitalizations with COVID-19 as the primary diagnosis/cause of admission were in unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated people. Among a total of 34,468 hospitalizations with COVID-19 as the primary diagnosis/cause of admission reported in Pennsylvania, 1,820 were reported to have occurred in fully vaccinated people. These figures account for data from 55 percent of all hospitals and 69 percent of acute care hospitals in Pennsylvania, representing approximately 80 percent of acute care beds in the state.

· 94 percent of reported COVID-19 cases were in unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated people. Among a total of 639,729 positive cases, there have been 35,389, or six percent, identified post-vaccination cases. Cumulative case incidence among the unvaccinated and not fully vaccinated was 7.1 times as high as the case incidence among the fully vaccinated.
data from pennsylvania
   14130. . Posted: September 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM (#6041254)
Stiggles, I'm not sure if that was addressed to me, but if it was, it doesn't negate anything I said. If you're unvaxxed and you get COVID, you're far worse off than if you're vaxxed and get COVID. That has nothing to do with whether vaxxed people spread COVID, and they obviously do. They carry it and they spread it, including to the unvaxxed.)*) The viral load of a breakthrough infection is essentially similar to the viral load of a non-breakthrough infection. The only difference is that the breakthrough infection in the vaxxed has a far, far lower chance of becoming symptomatic, disease, or result in hospitalization/death. But those great things have nothing to do with carry and spread.

This stuff is COVID 101.

(*) Or for that matter to the immunocompromised. The vaccines simply aren't at the point yet where they eliminate infection, viral load carry, and spread. They greatly, massively eliminate symptoms and bad outcomes. Not carry, not infection, not spread.
   14131. Lassus Posted: September 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM (#6041263)
You seem to be happily leaving out the significant fact that the studies regarding viral load among the vaccinated show clearly that they remain contagious for a far shorter length of time than the unvaccinated.

14132. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 23, 2021 at 01:12 PM (#6041271)
Vaccinated people are significantly less likely to spread the virus as unvaccinated people, mostly because vaccinated people are less likely to get infected in the first place (but also possibly because the infected vaccinated are infectious for a shorter period of time, and possibly less infectious overall--jury's still out). It's not really relevant that both vaccinated and non-vaccinated can spread the virus, but how much of the transmission is occurring in the non-vaccinated.
   14133. . Posted: September 23, 2021 at 01:23 PM (#6041274)
Never said the vaxxed were *as likely* to spread it. But they absolutely can and do spread it, significantly. The relevance of that is that many of the vaxxed, all the way up to the president, are acting as if that isn't true.

but also possibly because the infected vaccinated are infectious for a shorter period of time, and possibly less infectious overall--jury's still out)

Yep, jury's still out on that one and it will be interesting to see. It will also be interesting to see the interplay between that and the fact that the vaxxed are typically far more likely to have an asymptomatic viral load and thus far more likely to go out in spreadable situations carrying such viral load. Vaxxed person gets viral load, vaccine cuts off symptoms, they have no mechanism telling them not to go out, they go out. Unvaxxed person gets viral load, far more likely to get symptoms, symptoms keep them away from others (or hospitalize/kill them). Asymptomatic spread in this vein among and from the vaxxed unquestionably accounts for a good-sized part of the recent delta case wave.

It's not really relevant that both vaccinated and non-vaccinated can spread the virus, but how much of the transmission is occurring in the non-vaccinated.

Of course it's relevant that the vaccinated can spread the virus. For a zillion reasons, among them the fact that the unvaxxed also "need protection" from the vaxxed and the way to get that protection is to do what the vaxxed did, which is to get the vaccine. (Plus, of course, a lot of the vaxxed have deluded themselves into thinking they've now made themselves non-spreaders, which isn't close to true. This in part is to increase the moral and ethical import and nobility of their decision to vaxx in their minds, thus placing them in an ethical place where they feel justified if not compelled in doing things like the HCA grave dancing. As I mentioned earlier, it's virtually certain -- certain, actually -- that some of the graves upon which they're dancing hold a person who can trace their fatal COVID to a vaxxed person.)

But again, none of this is to diminish the fact that the vaxxed have done their duty and the unvaxxed have not done their duty. The unvaxxed are the functional equivalent of army draft dodgers or deserters in wartime.
   14134. Greg Pope Posted: September 23, 2021 at 01:27 PM (#6041278)
Vaccinated people are significantly less likely to spread the virus as unvaccinated people, mostly because vaccinated people are less likely to get infected in the first place (but also possibly because the infected vaccinated are infectious for a shorter period of time, and possibly less infectious overall--jury's still out). It's not really relevant that both vaccinated and non-vaccinated can spread the virus, but how much of the transmission is occurring in the non-vaccinated.

Right, this is why I'm still willing to wear a mask even though I'm vaccinated.
   14135. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 23, 2021 at 01:33 PM (#6041287)
Unvaccinated people aren't really less likely to go out when infected, because you're usually infectious before you show symptoms. And also I would bet that unvaccinated people are less likely to take other precautions like mask wearing and social distancing when they don't have symptoms, and more likely to go out anyway even when they do have symptoms.

But yes, as AuntBea notes, the main point is that the vaccinated are much less likely to be infected in the first place. And that's the most important thing.
   14136. . Posted: September 23, 2021 at 01:40 PM (#6041293)
Recent data in the UK on infection incidence is about 50-60% less, at least for the double vaccinated. "Much less likely" is a flexible term, which I guess can incorporate "about half as likely."

I still sometimes wear a mask, including virtually always in the apartment elevator when kids come in. The vax did not, unfortunately, stop me from being a potential spreader. I wish it did, but it didn't. And IMO, the odds of me being an asymptomatic spreader shot up because of the vaccine because of the simple fact that the vaccine makes me far more likely to have an asymptomatic case, especially now that some degree of normalcy has accompanied the vaccine push. I act as if that's the case. Wish I didn't have to. But the vaccines don't yet stop infection and spread. Obviously, if everyone was vaxxed this wouldn't matter, but they aren't and that's probably why a lot of us are so pissed off at the unvaxxed. That and their cowardly and ####### free riding.
   14137. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 23, 2021 at 02:01 PM (#6041304)
Watchdog scientists are sounding the alarm over covid-19 studies involving ivermectin, a long-used antiparasitic that some claim can be effective at treating or preventing the viral illness. In a new article this week, they argue that the research into ivermectin has been plagued by widespread fraud and lax oversight by other researchers.
One key way these studies are amplified is through something called a meta-analysis, which is when scientists take a bunch of relevant studies on a topic and try to summarize the state of the evidence. Though meta-analyses are an important part of science, they have to be done carefully to weed out poorly conducted or suspect research, or their results can become tainted. The authors note that at least two meta-analyses have claimed to find a net benefit for ivermectin, thanks largely to the inclusion of the Egyptian study. Following that study’s withdrawal, the authors of one meta-analysis have retracted their paper and have said they would reanalyze and republish their work without either the study from Egypt or Iran.
Throughout this year and last, for instance, proponents of ivermectin have touted a study from Argentina that appeared to show ivermectin could prevent 100% of infections in health care workers. Yet an investigation by Buzzfeed News published earlier this month unearthed evidence that parts of the study’s claimed methods and results simply don’t make sense and may have been fabricated, while some of the authors of this new paper have criticized it as well.

14138. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 23, 2021 at 02:15 PM (#6041308)
No sedition involved. Neither is an elected official.

not to derail the thread, but what does being an official have to do with sedition?
   14139. Tony S Posted: September 23, 2021 at 03:34 PM (#6041325)
not to derail the thread, but what does being an official have to do with sedition?

Sedition is about inciting the overthrow of a lawful government (or at least that's the way I always understood it). Since neither of those figures you mentioned are in government, there's nothing seditious about saying whatever you want to say about them. Unless I misunderstood your intent, which can always happen.
   14140. sanny manguillen Posted: September 23, 2021 at 03:37 PM (#6041326)
Now 32 days since Bill Freehan died. The longest deathless period among MLB players this century had been 25 days, in both 2004 and 2009, so if this period holds up without tardy death reports it's pretty unusual.

The reporters are picking up the deaths of Bill Sudakis on September 15 and Cloyd Boyer on the 20th. Again if it holds up, that would drop the 2021 deathless period to 27 days.
   14141. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 23, 2021 at 03:50 PM (#6041329)
Tony, no you're right. I forgot my what my comment was. Thought I'd called them seditious basterds, Sometimes, my ironies get ahead of me, especially on teaching days.
   14142. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 23, 2021 at 06:58 PM (#6041371)
Texas back over 400 deaths again today and not yet done counting, I don't think. So much for hope on that front.
Georgia's putting up some impressive numbers recently, and Louisiana should pass New York in deaths per million next week.
   14143. Tony S Posted: September 23, 2021 at 07:02 PM (#6041372)
Washington is tiring of Idaho's act.

“Today in my state, Washington citizens in many cases cannot get heart surgery, cannot get cancer surgery that they need, because we are having to take too many people of unvaccinated nature and unmasked, many of whom come from Idaho, and that’s just maddening frankly,” Inslee said.

“So we are calling for Idaho and the leaders there to lead and take some commonsense measures. I’m disappointed the governor of Idaho has spent more time trying to reduce protection by reducing vaccine usage instead of concentrating on this, and then clogging up my hospitals.”

Won't be surprised if other higher-vax states tell the knucklehead-led states to lie in the beds they made for themselves. If there are any available.
   14144. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 23, 2021 at 09:17 PM (#6041393)
It'll be like when the California State Police turned back the Okies and Arkies.
   14145. Tony S Posted: September 23, 2021 at 10:22 PM (#6041404)
   14146. Tony S Posted: September 23, 2021 at 10:39 PM (#6041407)

Please disregard 14145. Wrong forum.
   14147. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: September 24, 2021 at 09:02 AM (#6041437)
Be careful out there fellow Texians ...
More Texas hospitals are reporting a shortage of ICU beds than at any other time since the COVID-19 pandemic hit the state 18 months ago — just one sign among many that the health crisis is on track to reach its most dangerous phase yet, health officials say.

The latest surge of the virus has also caused new cases and COVID-19 hospitalizations to rise with record speed to just below their January peaks, as the highly contagious delta variant rips through the unvaccinated community at a rate up to eight times faster than earlier strains, officials said.

“We are entering the worst surge in sheer numbers,” said Dr. Mark Casanova, a palliative care specialist in Dallas and a member of the Texas Medical Association’s COVID-19 Task Force. “This is the fourth round of what should have been a three-round fight. We do have very sincere concerns that the numbers game is going to overwhelm us.”
Out of nearly 12,000 people hospitalized with COVID in Texas on Monday, more than a quarter of them are in the state’s ICU beds. At the end of last week, at least 75 Texas hospitals reported that they had no ICU beds available for patients — and more than 50 additional facilities said they had just one bed available at some point during the previous week.

Most of the shortages are occurring in major metro areas, near the Gulf Coast and in the eastern portions of the state, where vaccination rates are among the lowest in the state.

Link
   14148. Tony S Posted: September 24, 2021 at 09:42 AM (#6041446)
Well, here's one way to alleviate the hospital-overcrowding problem.

Anti-vaccine Facebook groups have a new message for their community members: Don’t go to the emergency room, and get your loved ones out of intensive care units.

Consumed by conspiracy theories claiming that doctors are preventing unvaccinated patients from receiving miracle cures or are even killing them on purpose, some people in anti-vaccine and pro-ivermectin Facebook groups are telling those with Covid-19 to stay away from hospitals and instead try increasingly dangerous at-home treatments, according to posts seen by NBC News over the past few weeks.

Self-triage.
   14149. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 24, 2021 at 10:13 AM (#6041456)

We hit 55.0% of the total population fully vaccinated yesterday. It took 47 days to go from 50% to 55%. That's the exact same number of days it took to go from 45% to 50%. So at least the pace has been consistent (if anything, it has actually picked up a bit in recent weeks.) By November we should be close to 60%, or more if they approve it for children <12.
   14150. Tom Goes to the Ballpark Posted: September 24, 2021 at 10:43 AM (#6041459)
We hit 55.0% of the total population fully vaccinated yesterday. It took 47 days to go from 50% to 55%. That's the exact same number of days it took to go from 45% to 50%. So at least the pace has been consistent (if anything, it has actually picked up a bit in recent weeks.) By November we should be close to 60%, or more if they approve it for children <12.
Pfizer approval for kids 5-12 is probably still a few weeks away so it will be close to December before we see those fully vaccinated numbers juiced by kids 5-12.

I think by the end of the year we are likely to see a breakdown of fully vaccinated numbers that look like this:

Blue States: 75-80%
Purple States: 65-70%
Red States: 50-55%

Blue and Purple states will be in good shape for the inevitable gamma wave this winter… Red states not so much.
   14151. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: September 24, 2021 at 10:55 AM (#6041461)
We hit 55.0% of the total population fully vaccinated yesterday.

12 and under are included in the %? I thought these numbers were for % who COULD get a vaccine only.

Anti-vaccine Facebook groups have a new message for their community members: Don’t go to the emergency room, and get your loved ones out of intensive care units.

That is fantastic. Hope this thinking spreads through the anti-vax communities.
   14152. Lassus Posted: September 24, 2021 at 10:56 AM (#6041462)
inevitable gamma wave

I'll call Dr. Bruce Banner, he'll fix this. What could go wrong?
   14153. Tom Goes to the Ballpark Posted: September 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM (#6041464)
12 and under are included in the %? I thought these numbers were for % who COULD get a vaccine only.
The 12+ number is 64%.
   14154. bunyon Posted: September 24, 2021 at 11:10 AM (#6041465)
I would really like to know what percentage of recent "first shots" are people lying to get their third shots. It's not zero.
   14155. Greg Pope Posted: September 24, 2021 at 11:52 AM (#6041469)
I would really like to know what percentage of recent "first shots" are people lying to get their third shots. It's not zero.

That's probably true. We need to remember that all of these numbers are just estimates. It seems like everything is being tracked, but I, for example, am probably not being counted properly. I got my first Pfizer shot in Illinois, but Walgreens wouldn't schedule my second shot until 4 weeks out. This was back in March when it was still very hard to get an appointment. For several personal reasons, I wanted to get my second one as soon as I was eligible. So when CVS in Wisconsin opened up appointments I went there to get my second one right at 3 weeks.

So my first shot is registered with Walgreens in Illinois and my second is registered with CVS in Wisconsin. Both states probably only count me as one shot. In fact, when I went to CVS (in Illinois) to get my shingles vaccine, they asked me if I wanted my second COVID shot. My only official documentation is my vaccine card.
   14156. JJ1986 Posted: September 24, 2021 at 12:22 PM (#6041470)
pro-ivermectin Facebook groups
What even is this country?
   14157. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM (#6041472)
The trustees who voted for MacLennan’s dismissal — Michael Barnes, Todd Banducci, and Greg McKenzie — did not respond to a request for comment on Thursday.

MacLennan’s relationship with those three members, especially Banducci, the board chair, has been rocky. They’ve tussled over what decisions are within the president’s domain. Recently, the president and trustees disagreed over the college’s requirement, imposed in August, that masks be worn indoors. MacLennan deemed it necessary due to a statewide surge in Covid cases. Shortly after it was announced, the board voted 3-2 to rescind the requirement. Barnes, who was against the mandate, said at the August meeting that he opposes any government-funded entity “dictating to people what they can and cannot do with this regard.”

In fairness, "You've been here four years and we haven't found a reason to fire you" is a fire-able offense in Idaho post-secondary ed.
   14158. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 24, 2021 at 12:59 PM (#6041473)

That's a good point. I don't know how how all this data gets recorded or tracked. It seems like in many places you don't have to lie to get a third shot.

FWIW, the number of people who have received a 1st dose but not fully vaccinated has been pretty constant at around 30 million since mid-August. There had been an increase from ~25 million to ~30 million from mid-July to mid-August and I can't tell you what drove that. But 5 million is probably the upper bound for people lying to get a third dose (and people who got their first but don't plan to get second).
   14159. base ball chick Posted: September 24, 2021 at 01:32 PM (#6041475)
Tony S Posted: September 24, 2021 at 09:42 AM (#6041446)

Consumed by conspiracy theories claiming that doctors are preventing unvaccinated patients from receiving miracle cures or are even killing them on purpose, some people in anti-vaccine and pro-ivermectin Facebook groups are telling those with Covid-19 to stay away from hospitals and instead try increasingly dangerous at-home treatments, according to posts seen by NBC News over the past few weeks.

- then the silly maroons shouldn't go to the hospital in the first place, especially if they think that the hospital people are TRYING to kill them. they could just contact whatever charlatan they worship on the intarnetz and inject UV light or whatevs

- my sympathy for people who refuse to get vaccinated (let's say, after this June) who get Covid and suffer/die or they gave it to their own family members who they had to watch suffer/die is so far below zero i can't even see the bottom. the ones who are deliberately spreading lies and injuring/killing others - well, i'm hoping they get sent to the most deep level of hellfire and dammnation like reserved for any other mass murderers.

- what do the maroons think they've got if it isn't covid because there is no such thing as covid?

if Covid didn't spread and injure others, then i would shrug and say that is their bidness like someone who gets in a car accident and bleeds to death because it is against their religion to get a transfusion. or someone who has a heart attack and refuses to call 911 or refuses the ambulance. or someone who has cancer and refuses treatment from a doctor

- am not sure how someone could get someone in ICU on life support transferred to hospice seeing as how removing life support would cause a quick death

- i don't know real too many White people except youse guys on this board, but the folks i know who refuse to get vaccinated are mostly under 45 "healthy" males who never go to a doctor anyhow and haven't had any shots of any kind since they were in skool. If you are female unless you are celibate and have no trouble with female parts, you see a provider at least once a year for birth control so you are not AS freaked out about seeing a doctor

- i can tell you that a significant percent of the LEGAL population in texas has zero health insurance (you even have to pay to go to the health department) and the bills for all those hospitalizations for people with no insurance is yuge. that is a whole lot of taxpayer $$$

14160. Srul Itza Posted: September 24, 2021 at 01:53 PM (#6041477)
i don't know real too many White people except youse guys on this board, but the folks i know who refuse to get vaccinated are mostly under 45 "healthy" males who never go to a doctor anyhow and haven't had any shots of any kind since they were in skool

That would have been me at one time. The only time I saw a doctor was when the pain actively interfered with my functioning or the bleeding was sufficiently profuse, and the only time I got shots was when I traveled to India and Africa.

I am fairly certain that, if I was still in my 20's or 30's, I would have gotten the COVID vaccine, but can I say for certain?

With my rapidly accelerating decrepitude, I have become a vaccine junkie -- flu, shingles, pneumonia, Covid, tetanus booster, perhaps one or two more I am forgetting about.
   14161. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 24, 2021 at 02:07 PM (#6041478)
Wazzou Prez on second-year head coach coach Eolovich:

"Let me be clear, there’s no free pass for anybody. Whether it’s coach, the president, it doesn’t matter. Everybody that’s a state employee has got to comply either by being vaccinated or filling out and getting an approved exemption. There’s no option B. So just so anybody knows, no one’s getting a free pass here because of who they are or what job they do."

18 Oct is a long lead time than reasonable.
   14162. base ball chick Posted: September 24, 2021 at 02:13 PM (#6041479)
well folks over 65 need extra protection. i had to blackmail BOTH my parents into getting the vax. i got mah daddy his pneumonia and shingles and whatever shots by taking him to the drugstore my own self because he told his own doctor he didn't want them. he don't need no stinkin shots blahblahblah. but i outstubborned him. fortunately Husband is not like that. he got sense. and me
   14163. bunyon Posted: September 24, 2021 at 02:15 PM (#6041480)
I got a flu shot and the second Hep B at Harris Teeter (grocery store) last week. The pharmacist was able to access a database that lists, as far as I can tell, every vaccine I've had since I was 30. Very complete. Missing was the third covid shot in August and a yellow fever vaccine from a few years ago.

Asking around, it seems this is a state database. First two covids were through the county health department, so it makes sense it would be there. Yellow fever was a private company specializing in international travel and apparently uninterested in cooperating with the state.

The pharmacist said that "they" set up a separate covid database and that stores had to submit the info separately. Some do, some don't.

A national vaccine database would probably be highly useful and right up the CDCs alley.

Anyway, I'm glad they have it because I learned I'd had the first of two Hep A shots a couple of years ago and forgot all about it.
   14164. base ball chick Posted: September 24, 2021 at 03:21 PM (#6041486)
i know that the vaccine files here in texas don't include anything from other states or providers who don't submit the info. The vaccine records for people over 18 are not given to the database and at least here the pharmacies only keep records of people over 18 for a few years - can't remember if it is 2 or 3 so you have to keep your own records if you get all your shots at a pharmacy and not a doctor's office. if you are (female) who is only going to an obgyn, they don't give shots

if i remember rightly when my kids were babies the doctors office asked you if you wanted the info to go into the state data base. i guess all the conspiracy theorists were afraid the state would use it to do something to the kids. they also gave you a vaccine card you were supposed to bring to appointments. i still got the kids cards because youneverknow

i have no idea what number of adults between 18 and 65 even get vaccines. you are supposed to get the whooping cough shot every 10 years. unless things have changed medicaid won't pay for any adult vaccines unless it is a tetanus shot when you get hurt
   14165. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 24, 2021 at 04:52 PM (#6041501)
I know I'm a broken record on this point, but one favorite game covid denialists love to play is that we have been, and still are, vastly overcounting covid deaths. A certain nobel prize winner and his associates are primary purveyors of this. The way they get there is by comparing the average number of deaths in a region going back X years, divided by age cohort, and then applying those averages to the current population, by age group. This inevitably leads to high estimates of expected deaths, because the population of the older age groups keeps increasing substantially every year.

You would do well to ask why we shouldn't use the average of the last X number of years in each age group and apply it to the current age distribution. The answer is that the main reason that populations are getting older every year is that the mortality rate in older people is falling very consistently right now all over the world, and has been for decades. Life expectancy is increasing every year, and older people are healthier every year than they were the year before, and because they are dying less the population keeps getting older. (Another, usually lesser reason for these purposes, is the decrease in birth rate.) So the denialists are using the fact that populations are increasingly getting older to generate high baseline deaths, without asking why the populations are getting older in the first place.

Here's an example of the denialists for Portugal, indicating under 13,000. Here's Portugal's life expectancy. Current deaths are counted as 18,000 by the government. The economist thinks it's over 21,500 by excess deaths. So the denialists finds a large overcount while everyone else, including the government, finds an undercount.

To pile on, the denialists then claim Y% of the excess deaths are lockdown related or some such, and reduce the covid to something minimal.

It's still shocking to me that after almost 2 years of this there are still large cohorts of people pretending this was no big deal.
   14166. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 24, 2021 at 06:00 PM (#6041507)

14165 I don't really understand how anyone could still make that argument, even though I see them do just that.

Total deaths in U.S.
--------------------
2017 2,813,503
2018 2,839,205
2019 2,854,838
2020 3,390,025

And for what it's worth:
March 2020-Feb 2021 - 3,535,379 (that will probably be the 12-month peak).

No amount of population aging could possibly explain that increase.
   14167. Hank Gillette Posted: September 24, 2021 at 10:05 PM (#6041560)
I know I'm a broken record on this point, but one favorite game covid denialists love to play is that we have been, and still are, vastly overcounting covid deaths.

A favorite of those people is the claim that someone who was killed in an auto accident tested positive for covid so the doctor put covid as the cause of death on the death certificate. I’ve seen this so often on Twitter it has to be an urban legend (or an out-and-out lie). I have asked for documentation or a cite for this major fraud, but of course, it is never forthcoming.

I guess in some ways this is not as bad as the people who claim that many of the people dying were elderly and had pre-existing conditions, so they would have died soon anyway; therefore their deaths should not be counted as covid deaths.
   14168. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 24, 2021 at 11:02 PM (#6041580)
Latest weekly Florida update:

Cases this past week were down 24% from the prior week and down 62% from the peak. The positive test rate was also down again, from 11.0% to 8.6%. They're definitely well past the peak now.

But...reported deaths lag cases. They reported 334 deaths per day, the third straight week with more than 300 average deaths reported per day. That's a 5% decline from the prior week but...man. Prior to last month, Florida had never had a 7-day average higher than about 180. And now they've just had weeks of 153, 212, 247, 335, 353, and 334. That's 11,328 reported deaths in six weeks.
   14169. Tony S Posted: September 25, 2021 at 09:37 AM (#6041598)
This is why peer review matters.

An inaccurate Canadian study suggesting an extremely high rate of heart inflammation after COVID-19 vaccines has been retracted due to a major mathematical error — but not before it spread like wildfire on anti-vaccination websites and social media.

The researchers mistakenly failed to record the accurate number of vaccinations given out during that two-month period, despite the data on total doses being publicly available, and the figure turned out to be astronomically higher than what was presented in the study.
   14170. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 25, 2021 at 01:19 PM (#6041614)
At a time when masks in schools are a hot topic of debate at all levels of government and within families, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published two studies that show masks can help protect children from COVID-19 and prevent large outbreaks in schools. That is the case even when there is a high level of community transmission and the highly contagious delta variant is present.
The study analyzed data in Maricopa and Pima counties, which are the largest in the state. In both counties, some schools had universal masking requirements and others did not. Those that did not have a mask requirement were 3.5 times as likely to experience and outbreak than those that did, the CDC concluded
Another study looked at mask mandates in 520 counties across the country. The study concluded that after the school year started, COVID-19 cases increased at a higher rate in counties that had school without mask requirements
   14171. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 25, 2021 at 01:23 PM (#6041616)
more than 9,000 Texans who have died from COVID-19 in August and September, nearly 40% of them under the age of 60,

The article is incorrect, however, about the state's COVID mortality figures challenging last summer's numbers. That standard has been 3exceeded; only a three-week period from January to February of this year was worse.
   14172. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2021 at 10:41 AM (#6041735)
Is there a link that illustrates the flattening of the vaccine curve?
   14173. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 26, 2021 at 12:12 PM (#6041740)
Lassus, this link offers log and linear.
   14174. Lassus Posted: September 26, 2021 at 01:25 PM (#6041745)
Thank you!
   14175. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 26, 2021 at 03:08 PM (#6041756)
The CDC has cited models that predict, under the most likely scenarios, no winter surge. For that to happen it probably means no significant new variant takes hold over the next few months.
   14176. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 26, 2021 at 06:17 PM (#6041788)
AFAIK, nobody has had consistent success in modeling cases even a month or two into the future. Projecting them six months out seems like folly to me.

It's fairly obvious that there will be a winter surge unless there is a big uptick in vaccine acceptance. The only question is how bad it will be.
   14177. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 26, 2021 at 07:01 PM (#6041793)
AFAIK, nobody has had consistent success in modeling cases even a month or two into the future
If you said 3 or 4 months I might agree. For 1 or 2 I think plenty of people have had success. 538 kept track of death predictions (a proxy for cases) and many were fairly accurate 2 months in advance.

I'm not so sure there will be much of a winter surge in the nation as a whole. It would require the upward pressure of the season to be stronger than the downward pressure of fewer targets due to immunity (from getting infected or vaccinated or both). This decline in cases is just starting and likely will pick up steam for the next couple of months. How much pressure winter will deliver is an open question. Of course, if there is a new variant this calculation changes quite a bit.
   14178. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 26, 2021 at 07:08 PM (#6041796)
AFAIK, nobody has had consistent success in modeling cases even a month or two into the future. Projecting them six months out seems like folly to me.
agreed.
I'm not so sure there will be much of a winter surge in the nation as a whole. It would require the upward pressure of the season to be stronger than the downward pressure of fewer targets due to immunity (from getting infected or vaccinated or both). This decline in cases is just starting and likely will pick up steam for the next couple of months. How much pressure winter will deliver is an open question. Of course, if there is a new variant this calculation changes quite a bit.

two words:

thanksgiving
christmas
   14179. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: September 26, 2021 at 07:31 PM (#6041800)
Mammoth NFL & NCAA crowds were expected, at least by some, to drive numbers up, weren't they? Of course, the vast majority of those games are played outside.
   14180. Tony S Posted: September 26, 2021 at 07:37 PM (#6041803)

How far ahead of the major holidays we have vaccine approval for kids will make a BIG difference.
   14181. SoSH U at work Posted: September 26, 2021 at 07:51 PM (#6041807)
Of course, if there is a new variant this calculation changes quite a bit.

If the vaccine was equally effective against a new variant and contraction of the previous variants provided similar levels of immunity, would there necessarily be another wave?
   14182. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 26, 2021 at 08:01 PM (#6041808)
if it were even more infectious. That's basically what happened with delta.
   14183. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 26, 2021 at 08:29 PM (#6041810)
I don’t think the holidays will make an outsized difference in the national numbers. I don’t think outdoor/domed sporting events make much difference. I think it’s just daily life (and school) when most of the country is taking few precautions and people are primarily spending time indoors. I think it will be like last winter, with fewer targets especially in higher risk groups, but also a more contagious strain and people taking fewer precautions. I think and hope that will add up to a smaller and less deadly wave than last winter. But I just don’t think a constant downward trend in cases through next March is very likely. I will be very happy to be proven wrong.
   14184. SoSH U at work Posted: September 26, 2021 at 08:46 PM (#6041812)
Are new variants consistently more infectious?
   14185. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 26, 2021 at 08:57 PM (#6041813)
I was just referring to the Delta variant, which wasn’t here last winter.

Presumably there are other mutations that are less contagious, but they don’t become the dominant strain anywhere and we don’t hear about them.
   14186. Hank Gillette Posted: September 26, 2021 at 09:43 PM (#6041817)
Cases this past week were down 24% from the prior week and down 62% from the peak. The positive test rate was also down again, from 11.0% to 8.6%. They're definitely well past the peak now.

So, Dave, IYO, what is making the Florida numbers go down? Are Floridians changing their behavior? Are more getting vaccinated? Or is it just burning itself out as the more reckless get sick and/or die?
   14187. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 26, 2021 at 10:32 PM (#6041821)
I don't know. There were definitely more people getting vaccinated as the recent wave got worse, but probably not enough to be the primary driver (Florida was never *that* bad in terms of vaccination rate, TBH, which is why the severity of the recent wave was pretty frightening). I would guess some combination of burning through the most susceptible part of the population, and changing behavior / changing weather that allowed people to spend more time outdoors. There was a similar wave last summer although it peaked about a month earlier.

But as I've said, I find case trends pretty difficult to explain and predict -- I'm just a random finance guy who's good with numbers/spreadsheets, but no particular expertise in the how/why of this stuff.
   14188. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: September 26, 2021 at 11:01 PM (#6041827)
Florida was never *that* bad in terms of vaccination rate, TBH, which is why the severity of the recent wave was pretty frightening
The numbers themselves were pretty average for the US, I thought. One theory is that the numbers were boosted by non-resident snowbirds.
   14189. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 26, 2021 at 11:10 PM (#6041829)
FL’s vax numbers were average for the US, and they were relatively good at vaccinating the elderly. I’m not giving them any awards, but they were a lot better than AL/MS/etc., such that I wouldn’t have expected them to have such a terrible summer wave in line with those states.

That’s possible regarding the snowbirds (I’ve heard similar theories about vaccine tourists from Latin America). It wouldn’t seem like enough to move the needle materially, given how big a state FL is, but who knows?

I don’t have the data to confirm it for certain, but I’m sure that I underestimated the CFR for this recent wave. If I had to guess, the ratio of actual cases to confirmed cases was a lot higher than normal at the peak, when positive test rates were ~20%. That would lead to a higher CFR. Probably some effect from the overtaxed healthcare system too.
   14190. rr: cosmopolitan elite Posted: September 27, 2021 at 12:48 AM (#6041843)
Are new variants consistently more infectious?

As I mentioned, I have had many conversations with Biologists and Nurses who are on the faculty at the college where I work. As per those people, Dave is correct. There have already been other strains that are no worse or even less bad than the original one. However, as noted throughout the thread, the more unvaccinated hosts, the more chances for mutation, including eventually one that the current vaxxes can't handle.
   14191. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 27, 2021 at 01:06 AM (#6041844)
That’s possible regarding the snowbirds (I’ve heard similar theories about vaccine tourists from Latin America). It wouldn’t seem like enough to move the needle materially, given how big a state FL is, but who knows?
What’s the vax rate for non-Miami Florida?
   14192. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: September 27, 2021 at 04:09 AM (#6041847)
Pleasingly, here in Germany, the party most associated with Covid denialism seems to have lost ground in the national elections that were held yesterday, though only by a percentage point or two. Their election posters (including one series reading "Germany - but normal") have to be put up quite high on lampposts around here, otherwise they tend not to survive that long.

I felt that Germany, with fairly strong lockdown measures at times but also fewer deaths/million than a lot of other nations nearby, was at high risk of populist backlash, but the AfD don't appear to have convinced many.
   14193. Fancy Pants Handle struck out swinging Posted: September 27, 2021 at 06:46 AM (#6041849)
"Germany - but normal"

Coming from the AfD, that might just be advocating for eugenics. Eliminate ze nicht-normalen.
   14194. Eddo Posted: September 27, 2021 at 09:59 AM (#6041872)
One theory is that the numbers were boosted by non-resident snowbirds.

This seems like it wouldn't be correct, the snowbirds to to Florida in the winter.
   14195. jmurph Posted: September 27, 2021 at 10:13 AM (#6041877)
This seems like it wouldn't be correct, the snowbirds to to Florida in the winter.

The story, backed by anecdote and not actual real data, was that dual-residents were getting it in late winter before returning north, or heading there to get the shot if their non-Florida home state was having vaccine access issues.

It was believable, logically, but as far as I can tell no one knows if it was a thing.
   14196. bunyon Posted: September 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM (#6041879)
if it were even more infectious. That's basically what happened with delta.

On the bright side, Delta is very, very infectious. There aren't a lot of viruses that are more so. So there probably isn't a lot of room for "improvement" (from the virus POV).

Against that, Delta is plenty, though we have to be getting close to not having enough uninfected/unvaccinated people left for a surge. Once there aren't many people susceptible to Delta, the next variant that would bring a big wave risk would seem to be one that evades the vaccines, so that that large population becomes fuel. Had we had Delta without vaccines and the American behavior, good lord.

Someone said when kids get vaccinated will matter a lot. Hopefully before Christmas.
   14197. RJ in TO Posted: September 27, 2021 at 10:54 AM (#6041887)
It was believable, logically, but as far as I can tell no one knows if it was a thing.
I don't know if it was a thing overall, but all of my relatives who winter down in Florida got their vaccines there, before returning to Canada.

I seem to remember an article a bit ago about a city/town/community in Florida which was showing something like a 107% vax rate among the eligible population, due to the effect of out of state/country tourists. It apparently was Miami Beach, based on this not really sourced tweet.
   14198. 57i66135 right now is attacking rest Posted: September 27, 2021 at 11:12 AM (#6041893)
Ben Garrison, a right-wing cartoonist known for his opposition to vaccines and his extremely flattering drawings of former President Donald Trump, told Gizmodo late Sunday that he contracted covid-19 and has been sick for about two weeks. But allegedly getting covid hasn’t changed Garrison’s mind about modern medical science.
Garrison has been banned from Twitter for supporting the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on January 6.
“We’re taking Ivermectin and various vitamins including a lot of Zinc,” Garrison continued, explaining what he’s doing to treat the disease. The cartoonist also notes he’s taking beet root juice.
“We will never take their foul spike protein-producing jabs, which are neither safe nor effective. They’re not real vaccines. They’re gene therapy,” Garrison wrote in an email to Gizmodo.
Garrison says he’d never visit a hospital to treat his covid-19. (Last week, NBC News reported that anti-vaccine Facebook groups have been influencing members to not seek hospital treatment for covid-19 and even instructed them to pull their sick family members out of ICU.)

“I would never go to a hospital with Covid. Robert David Steele did it a few weeks ago and they killed him. The hospitals get extra money for Covid death reports, which is necessary to keep fear ramped up,” Garrison claimed in an email to Gizmodo.
The 69-year-old Steele believed some incredibly bizarre things, including that NASA had imprisoned children on Mars to work as slaves.
   14199. Ron J Posted: September 27, 2021 at 11:33 AM (#6041899)
I believe it was BBR who was contemplating a trip to England. Maybe put it off for a bit as there seems to be a gas supply crisis right now.
   14200. Eddo Posted: September 27, 2021 at 11:41 AM (#6041902)
The story, backed by anecdote and not actual real data, was that dual-residents were getting it in late winter before returning north, or heading there to get the shot if their non-Florida home state was having vaccine access issues.

Oh, I see - I interpreted #14188 as the infection and death numbers being inflated by snowbirds, not the vaccination figures. The latter makes much more sense.
Page 142 of 143 pages ‹ First  < 140 141 142 143 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog2021 LCS OMNICHATTER!
(319 - 11:30pm, Oct 18)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogMLB in talks to launch nationwide streaming service for home games without cable TV
(22 - 10:49pm, Oct 18)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogBaseball America: Was The 2020 Rule 5 MLB Draft The Best Of The 21st Century?
(9 - 9:37pm, Oct 18)
Last: 57i66135 right now is attacking rest

NewsblogDodgers Albert Pujols Hits the COVID-19 Injured List
(196 - 9:32pm, Oct 18)
Last: smileyy

NewsblogThe fans' way at Fenway: loud, louder, loudest
(26 - 9:21pm, Oct 18)
Last: crict

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(69 - 8:25pm, Oct 18)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogArizona Fall League experiments gone awry, plus notes on Spencer Torkelson, Brett Baty and more: Keith Law
(15 - 7:42pm, Oct 18)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogOne of best ever? Astros INF has a case
(26 - 7:40pm, Oct 18)
Last: Walt Davis

Sox TherapyThe Boston Red Sox Will Play for the Pennant
(115 - 7:02pm, Oct 18)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(428 - 5:29pm, Oct 18)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogWhere do the 107-win Giants go from here after early postseason exit?
(3 - 5:06pm, Oct 18)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogA’s VP Billy Beane tips his hand about joining Mets front office
(6 - 3:02pm, Oct 18)
Last: VCar

NewsblogSources: New York Yankees shake up staff under Aaron Boone, won't renew contracts of hitting coach Marcus Thames, 3B coach Phil Nevin
(8 - 1:29pm, Oct 18)
Last: weiss-man

NewsblogMike Shildt out as St. Louis Cardinals manager, per report
(55 - 1:24pm, Oct 18)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogMajor League Baseball to require teams to provide housing for minor league players starting in 2022
(4 - 10:47am, Oct 18)
Last: Barry`s_Lazy_Boy

Page rendered in 0.6883 seconds
48 querie(s) executed